Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Delving More Into Garrisons

Comments

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Saying that it's "not instanced", yet to have it phased it a contradictory lie.   "Phasing", as they call it, is just instancing of world zones in different layers.   GW2 does it with Overflow Servers and Tabula Rasa did it with all it's zones in the game.     

They phase it just like other games do for their housing because it's nearly impossible to do individual player housing on a large scale within a game's world.   Instance, load, and bam! player house.    Welcome to Wildstar's housing too (which looks far more enjoyable, customizable, and entertaining).

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Saying that it's "not instanced", yet to have it phased it a contradictory lie.   "Phasing", as they call it, is just instancing of world zones in different layers.   GW2 does it with Overflow Servers and Tabula Rasa did it with all it's zones in the game.     

They phase it just like other games do for their housing because it's nearly impossible to do individual player housing on a large scale within a game's world.   Instance, load, and bam! player house.    Welcome to Wildstar's housing too (which looks far more enjoyable, customizable, and entertaining).

Agree.

Thing is, theres hundreds of houses kicking about WoW, from Orgrimmar, Stormwind, the little towns scattered about. If it was about housing. Surely they could add a Housing Auciton house and allow players to bid/buy/sell those. Stick an instance on the door and they can arrange furniture/shit to their pleasing.

---

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by sayuu
    So when the existing guilds buy up all the plots every other player in Wow is shit out of luck just like housing in AC?

There are no real world plots,

rather than instancing, the plots will be phased just like your tiller farm. . .

Ah yes good old phasing. Keep forgetting Wow is a single player game now.

Giving 'em the ol' damned if you do, damned if you don't spiel, eh?

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Siphaed

No, its not like the overflow server.  The overflow server is a copy of an entire zone.  When its your turn you physically relocate to a zone with a completely different set of players.

Phasing seamlessly layers small parts of a zone.  Parts of the zone appear differently to different players depending on their progress.  but those same players all share the same zone.  

It would be akin to, in GW2..lets say an event fails and a section of forest burns down.  the people that fail that event see that section of the forest differently than the people that didnt fail the event.  But they are all still in the same zone.  Just that section of forest differs.

Also, there is no zoning involved unlike instancing since you never physically change copies of a zone

• WhytewulfWhytewulf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Kind of interesting.  I want to come back, but not really interested in joining such a pre-built community and being an outsider to that.  I am fairly certain none of my former friends play anymore.  UGH.. whats a level 75 druid to do with no Garrison to call home!
  • DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

Make no mistake, Wow players will ruin any "feature" of this that is considered fun, before it even makes it out of beta.

You see that small little tidbit in the article about having a follower captured and going to rescue them from a dungeon? No way that will ever make it out of beta, wow players would never allow the devs to let that go live.

Garrisons will be basic, no real depth, no part that can be failed, and nothing unique outside of a shade of color.

• satch95satch95 Member Posts: 9
    will the hoard be able to destroy or damage the alliance garrisons and vice versa?
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Looks pretty awesome to me. I wish the folks who don't play and don't plan on playing would just stop responding to the article. They only make themselves look silly.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    good luck on them not commenting here , thats all they do is complain and complain about every single game on here. I still have a active wow account and like the idea of how garrisons work and could give a rats ass less if I can see others houses or not and its phased. In fact I would rather have them phased then have to fight over land and not get a spot that I actually like, phasing removes all that from the game and makes it easy to build where you want.  Im just glad wow is adding housing and updating the character models after all this time, it was much needed and is being well taken by most of the community, just here where everyone is negative and think their opinion really matters to other gamers.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i've said for a long time (including in many surveys from blizz in my inbox) that the one feature that would bring me back to warcraft is player housing.  i guess i'll have to put my money where my mouth is and at least give it a shot.

truth be told i would have gotten a bigger kick out of it we were able to, say, pick a faction appropriate city and build a house there (even if it were phased or instanced) -my troll rogue would love a wigwam in thunder bluff to chill wit his tauren bruddas.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by bcbully

Wow bought time Blizzard. This look pretty awesome, non-instanced and all.

Is there pvp involved? I don't think I read anything about it. 

I don't see a point to it if there isn't...i'd resub for that...not for build a house(or town) that serves no purpose other than me spending 2 hrs decorating it  and populating with npcs that already exist...fuckin pointless...make it a pvp viable target, guild or faction town...w/e..or who cares?

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I really look forward to play around with this feature.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

What does it matter if it's "not instanced" if it's phased? Same shit, different name. The only good housing is an open world housing. If your world is too small to fit all players' houses, you need a bigger world.

WoW has a ton of real estate that is used for absolutely nothing. They could have done open world housing, but they chose to be lazy instead.

Too bad.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by tom_gore

WoW has a ton of real estate that is used for absolutely nothing. They could have done open world housing, but they chose to be lazy instead.

If they put open world housing in all that available real estate, then there would be endless crying over "prime location" spots because of how "unfair" that is...remember, everything has to be equal or "I'll quit", right?

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I don't know why phasing get such a bad rep, it was handled really well with the tiller farm, I think people are still remembering the original phasing its been improved since then.  

What would people rather a button to teleport you to your instanced garrison, a shinny portal to walk through to load you into your instanced garrison?

With phasing you can fly around a zone and see your garrison in the zone, sure the guy next to you cannot see your garrison he might see nothing or see his if he has picked the same location, I guess we'll need to see the beta to see how they handle that, but lets not write it off just yet.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Phasing is nothing but instancing without a loading screen. The fact that your house is in the "open world" means nothing to anyone but you.

Besides that, i'm sure Blizzard will find various ways to stick to their tradition of taking the fun out of everything with potential, spice it with a large portion of grind, make the best part about it only available through raiding and being the control freaks they's always been, not give the player the slightest freedom about it.

I also expect garnison features hitting the new item shop to push it forward.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Just shut up and take my money, Blizzard.

I'm very supprised no one even yet wrote that game is dead or dying.

Originally posted by Daessar

If they put open world housing in all that available real estate, then there would be endless crying over "prime location" spots because of how "unfair" that is...remember, everything has to be equal or "I'll quit", right?

You're probably right. Sometimes I try to forget most MMO players are total pussies these days who spend 24/7 whining about something they can't get because of reason X.

Originally posted by expresso

What would people rather a button to teleport you to your instanced garrison, a shinny portal to walk through to load you into your instanced garrison?

No we'd rather have open world housing instead of this instanced crap. No one's saying phasing is worse than instancing, but it still sucks for housing purposes.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by bcbully

Wow bought time Blizzard. This look pretty awesome, non-instanced and all.

Is there pvp involved? I don't think I read anything about it. 

Since phasing in involved I can't see how. Perhaps they are subject to pvp on pvp servers but I cannot see Wow actually doing something to boost open world pvp. I see it as a distraction but if not a part of the gear progression everyone only cares about then it will likely end up like most housing in mmos and visited less and less as time goes on.

I am not seeing what is meaningful about it other than making the game more a single player experience. Need something from a craft professional? You don't have to go to other players anymore! Is this a mini-game separate from every other system and end game experience in Wow? Yup!

Being meaningful means it affects something. It is connected to something. This is a mini-game. A side distraction just like space combat is in Swtor. It adds something to the game while adding nothing at the same time.

Blizzard can be proud of it because it is "safe".

I did not see phasing anywhere in the article, said static from what I read, can you quote the phasing part?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Right here:

"Garrisons will not be instanced so you and any of your party members will be able to see your fortress even from afar."

Relevant part bolded by me.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by Tamanous Blizzard can be proud of it because it is "safe".
    First you complain when you think Garrisons are open world, then you complain that they are phased and not open world.   Nice Catch-22 of WoW hate.
    First of all I do not complain. I reveal observations. You have to have a measure of commitment in order to complain. I do not care if space monkeys swoop down and steal Wow from our planet forever.

I also I never said there was a difference at all between open world and phasing. In Wow they are both the same. A phase is still considered open world and if other players share it then all open world vulnerabilities are present for those involved thus if pvp flagged it is considered open world. This is how Bliz gets around saying a phase isn't instanced ... it both is and isn't. I have zero clue how garrisons affect open world pvp or if they are even subject to attack by players.[mod edit]

If you have no commitment to WoW nor care about it then why are you making numerous hate posts about WoW in one day?

Nice contradictions.

Just an observation Im revealing.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I am an alt fanatic and share the concern of a poster above. I do not want a garrison for every toon that I have on a server, just a single Garrison for a faction (Alliance or Horde) would be just fine - and save on real estate.

Disappointed that Blizzard is going the way of SWTOR in crafting in Garrisons. I am not surprised seeing how in each expansion starting with CATA that they have cut more and more from professions (except, on all things, cooking!). In another two expansions crafting will be just as simple and as boring as talents. By the third expansion they will finally introduce action combat and have what the new devs always wanted - an action combat mmo.

Originally posted by expresso

No we'd rather have open world housing instead of this instanced crap. No one's saying phasing is worse than instancing, but it still sucks for housing purposes.

By we, you mean I.  because I have yet to see open world housing that works well.  As cool as SWGs system was, 99% of the landscape in SWG was generic and it quickly became generic wastelands of empty houses.

I personally like the neighborhood approach, although every game that uses it so far has shitty housing.  Eventually someone will combine neighborhood housing with EQ2's extreme customization.

But this isnt even meant to be normal MMORPG housing anyway.  This is a Suikoden style element to the game.   If WoW wanted to be like everyone else, they would have done generic neighborhoods or purely instanced housing.  They wouldnt have made a housing continent, because unlike someone said there isnt any room in WoW's world for housing as it is now.  They would have to add a new discovered continent for housing only which would just seem weird.  If the game isnt designed from the ground up for open world housing theres no way to logically make it work.

Originally posted by tordurbar

I am an alt fanatic and share the concern of a poster above. I do not want a garrison for every toon that I have on a server, just a single Garrison for a faction (Alliance or Horde) would be just fine - and save on real estate.

Disappointed that Blizzard is going the way of SWTOR in crafting in Garrisons. I am not surprised seeing how in each expansion starting with CATA that they have cut more and more from professions (except, on all things, cooking!). In another two expansions crafting will be just as simple and as boring as talents. By the third expansion they will finally introduce action combat and have what the new devs always wanted - an action combat mmo.

From what I gather the garrisons will give you limited access to craft professions besides your basic 2.  people have been asking for more than 2 professions since the day the game launched.  They have to be careful with it to not trivialize the need for buying from others though. 

Crafting in WoW has been simple and boring since day 1.  And there is no chance in hell WoW's combat is changing.  Thats about the only way they would ever lose their number one status within the next 5 years.