Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indy games are more innovating than todays MMO's

snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Title says it all...

I'm enjoying for example Rust more than any MMO that has come out the last years.

Much more innovating and fresh gameplay than todays MMO's, wich all have the same ideas/gameplay.

And it's only in Alpha! That says it all......

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by snoocky

It's much easier to deliver either an innovative game or a polished, completed game than to deliver both at once in the same game.  That said, "easier" should not be read as meaning "easy".

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    The indy games are booming right now and today's mmo's are not.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

It's much easier to deliver either an innovative game or a polished, completed game than to deliver both at once in the same game.  That said, "easier" should not be read as meaning "easy".

This

There's plenty of innovative games out there, the problem is they are all terrible because they sacrificed quality and gameplay.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Some indie games, many are just rehashes of old-school platformers.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I agree that most Indy games seem to be more innovating lately.  At least when it comes to non-MMOs.  I'm glad to see the indie market flourish though.  It shows the suits and big decision makers that things don't have to be cookie cutter to be successful.  It's interesting though that niche games seem to really do great as non-MMOs, however when a niche MMO comes out it's almost a given that it's going to struggle to keep players no matter how ambitious or innovative it is, with Eve being the exception.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The beauty of indy games is that they can do this without gambling large amounts of investor money.  Its always going to be either innovation OR quality / polish.  Big AAA companies are rarely going to gamble on a new idea, they let the smaller companies do that with indy games, then if they prove successful, they will be there to exploit it with a polished copy (look at WoW for instance).
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Title says it all...

I'm enjoying for example Rust more than any MMO that has come out the last years.

Much more innovating and fresh gameplay than todays MMO's, wich all have the same ideas/gameplay.

To start off with the words "innovation" and "rust" in the same sentence is like shooting yourself in the leg. Rust has absolutely zero innovation. It took what DayZ mod had been doing few years prior and added simple structure building and crafting (which have existed in many games before it).

And what DayZ did, was change a mil-sim into a "survival" FFA-pvp full-loot arena (which has been in MMO's since like meridian59 and UO.

I've yet to see a single indie game introduce any real "innovation", but just rehashes of old and true-tested mechanics that some just have forgotten or aren't old enough to know.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion

Title says it all...

To start off with the words "innovation" and "rust" in the same sentence is like shooting yourself in the leg. Rust has absolutely zero innovation. It took what DayZ mod had been doing few years prior and added simple structure building and crafting (which have existed in many games before it).

And what DayZ did, was change a mil-sim into a "survival" FFA-pvp full-loot arena (which has been in MMO's since like meridian59 and UO.

I've yet to see a single indie game introduce any real "innovation", but just rehashes of old and true-tested mechanics that some just have forgotten or aren't old enough to know.

Do you mean you have yet to see any real invention?

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Indie games may (or may not) be innovating, but I haven't played a single one that wasn't pure crap.

My biggests issue with indies, is that I cannot filter them out from Steam's store. I have zero interest in paying for underdeveloped crap, usually with sub-par graphics. Never again will I pay for such garbage.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Netspook

Indie games may (or may not) be innovating, but I haven't played a single one that wasn't pure crap.

My biggests issue with indies, is that I cannot filter them out from Steam's store. I have zero interest in paying for underdeveloped crap, usually with sub-par graphics. Never again will I pay for such garbage.

While this is 100% true, i also have zero interest in paying for overdeveloped crap, usually with sub-par gameplay. Never again i pay for such garbage. (WoW, I'm looking at you).

Wish they could finally find some mid-ground for this matter. How 'bout a good looking game with a great gameplay and good support and professional and dedicated developer team to back it up for several years and a promise not to change anything drastically for a very long time?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Indy games can't compete in quality or polish against AAA game that costs 50 million dollars to make, they need to compete with something else. Being innovative and focusing on smaller market is a good way to do that. Indy games are also often cheaper, which means that people are more willing to buy some different game and take the risk even if they're not sure whether they like the game or not.

Whereas an AAA game that costs 50 million dollars will need to have a large market in order to sell enough copies to make profit, and they need to keep the unit price high which means that people will want to be sure they like the game before making the investment and are less likely to purchase something different than what they usually buy.

Originally posted by Netspook

Mount and blade is the best melee combat in a video game to date. The best.

I was going to list a bunch of games, but Ill stop with one.

• Indie stuff has always been vastly more innovative than MMORPGs.

The total body of work containedi n MUDs is 2 orders of magnitude more innovative and creative than the total body of work of MMORPGs.  Literally a 1000 times more variation and interesting mechanics.  Of course there was also an asston more failures and stutters.

Not only are MMORPGs as a body vastly less variable but 80% of the mechanics of these MMORPGs were directly taken from MUDs.  EQ was directly based on a MUD.  A large number of the things people think are innovative or new in MMORPGs are in fact misidentified and have existed for decades in one form or another.  

For example City of Heroes had its global user id that allowed communication between different servers and such.  Some people considered this innovative as it did not exist in many other MMOs at the time.  Well I know for a fact this sort of feature existed in MUDs in 1993, and even more it was not exclusive to MUDs made by the same people or organizations.  It was possible across many MUDs of many types.

In other words other than a few UI and social stuff there almost nothing new or "innovative" in the vast majority of MMORPGs, with a few notable exceptions such as EvE or UO.

While making an MMO is a quite technically challenging endeavor, gaming wise when you look at the features the genre is completely stagnant as far as innovation and pretty much always has been.  This is partially because it IS such a complex and hard endeavor for a game, this forces conservative design in many ways.

However having said all this one should not underestimate just how big a deal the social experimentation and interaction portion of MMORPGs really is.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

The basic baseline expectation of an indie game is actually higher than that of a AAA MMO.

For example, currently EverQuest Next is proud that they will have day and night cycle. Really? That is expected in indie games. In fact, I somewhat expect seasons as well.

Housing in indie games vs housing in AAA is radically different. Indies are much better pretty much at everything.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

AAA games and especially MMOs have become so expensive to make that there's rarely room for innovation. The game is designed by some suits in a boardroom who will probably never play it and are relying on focus groups and want features that they are easy to market because the target audience understands them.

Mostly it's the same in any media. If you want innovative music or film you won't find it in the mainstream stuff except the odd time when something like Nirvana breaks through through a combination of sheer luck and talent.

People may say they want innovation but mostly they vote with their wallets for "same old...same old...."

Indies have to innovate because they don't have polish or marketing behind them. Basically the only reason people play most indie games is because there isn't a real AAA equivalent to the experience they offer.

And as some others have said even among indies, a lot don't actually innovate because it's easier to just cash in copying Minecraft or some platformer.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

If you think about it 2012 / 2013 pretty much took me back to the days of the Speccy and Commodore 64,and 1990's boom with 16/32 bit games in those days they had to put game play in games they could not rely on fancy graphics or generic gameplay.

Just glad the KS era is also saving the PC and putting it back as the no.1 platform for Indies and innovation and after checking out the demo for Elite Dangerous, it's amazing that one of the greatest games ever is back with the same dev but he is free to do what the heck he likes no publisher pushing for a release date with a bugged broken game.

And to get back on topic Mo's have stagnated they followed the same formula then F2P made more copy cat Mo's more than ever,of course the odd one tried something different but even let's say Vanguard,was left to rot until SOE decided to cash in with the F2P model and no doubt kill it stone dead one day when something shinier comes along.

p>
    I knew times had changed when one of the big announcements for the Xbox One reveal was Minecraft. If the large AAA companies dont pay attention now they never will

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

The basic baseline expectation of an indie game is actually higher than that of a AAA MMO.

Not really. The fun thing about indie game is that there is no expectation, and many surprises.

Gone Home .... can you imagine a FP dramma with no violence and still good?

Republique ... can you imagine a touch stealth game where there is no take-down, and a real good story?

The Room 1 & 2 .. can you imagine a gorgeous physical puzzle game?

The list goes on and on .. i don't expect any of them but enjoy them tremendously. And oh .. they are all short but great .. perfectly showing that a game does not have to be long, nor have "replay" value to be good.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Indie games have to innovate to stay afloat since they cannot compete with the big names in polish. It shouldn't come as news.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

This video kind of sums up the entire non-indie problem

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Indie games have to innovate to stay afloat since they cannot compete with the big names in polish. It shouldn't come as news.

I disagree. Many indie games have the same levels of polish (The Room 1 & 2, Republique, even the Sherlock Holmes games). The only difference is that those indie games are smaller than the big name AAA games.