Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Strengths and Weaknesses

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Ides385

Fighting mobs in ESO does not gain you stats or skill points only questing, crafting and skyshards do that. Fighting mobs only makes your skill higher level. You don't get skill points to progress your skills.

I will give you pvp because I'm not familiar enough with how it progresses you.

EDIT: I am basing this an MMORPG article, the progression video and experience.

I was referring to what we see in MMO"s today in general when I said we do. I do feel that's an odd choice in the case of ESO. I was unaware of that TBH.

As far as PVP goes, their wording is you can progress from 10- upward in Cyrodil. There is questing there as well, so that does raise the question of whether skill points are raised through PVP, or the quests you take on.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Yawn...A bunch of "I refuse to play this game" yada, yada, I'm betting half of you grab a copy as soon as you can.
  • PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Respec was announced about a month ago by Konkle. You would think the writer if this article would have done some basic research.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

This game looks over ten years old with animations that look like they were taken from Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall in 1996.

The amount of multiple steps backwards this game takes is astounding, when you consider that they had all of Skyrim to evolve into a multiplayer game.

Not the same genre of game you say? A single-player game vs a multiplayer game? Nonsense. Bethesda should have brought back something similar to the skill/profession based advancement we saw in Star Wars Galaxies, and dared to take a risk in redefining an MMORPG. But nope, instead we get this turd of a game coming out that is unrelated to Skyrim, and that may as well have been some asian MMO that Bethesda bought from another company and rebranded it to be Elder Scrolls.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth
    Respec was announced about a month ago by Konkle. You would think the writer if this article would have done some basic research.

To be fair, it's ESO's own damn fault. I can't remember an official site for any other MMO that had so little information in it about the game and what it does have is organized so poorly.

Their "Game Guide" section consists of nothing more than basic info about the Story, Alliance wars, race descriptions for each alliance and a map.

Any of the information we all want to know that is actually on the site is hidden away under News > Development in mostly generic Q&As with such unhelpful titles as "Variety Pack 11." And a lot of the known info just can't be found there at all and is scattered all over the Web at different sites that managed to get one of their key people to give them an exclusive interview.

The mess of misinformation and mistakes that exists about this game is of their own creation.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

And here is why i don't believe in ESO: Freedom-Openworld and MODS endless stream of mods my game looks and play so much different from vanilla you would think its a DX11 build game and very different from what Skyrim vanilla was.

Other very strong point is: IM IN CONTROL of how i play and how game should be for a big part this can never happen in themepark. 

The level of control you get from mods won't happen in any MMO, even the sandiest sandbox ever sanded.

Originally posted by Ides385

I just hope quest don't become the grind of the game. Quests should be an enjoyable option just like every ES game. Either way its a means to an end and that end is the combat. 

You seem to be suffering from the same mistaken impression as the designers of D&D 4.0  Combat is not the end, at least not in a properly designed RPG.  It is just a means to the end.  The "end" in a RPG is roleplaying. The "end" in most MMOs is progression.  If a game calls itself a MMORPG, it should have those two elements as it's ends, progression and roleplaying. 

If you want to RP a character who never kills anything, the game should allow that, and still give you other means for progressing and developing your character's role.  Is that going to happen in a MMO?  Doubtful, but making progression rely on objectives completed rather than simply blood spilled is a step in the right direction.  Ideally, make the objectives about achieving a certain end that isn't simply "kill ten of X" or "assassinate Bob" - give everybody who completes the objectives the same basic reward, even if one person killed every NPC in the target location, a second snuck past all of them, and a third negotiated with them and cut a deal.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

What bothers me is

a) the overall limited information we have, like this game would still be years ahead to come, and

b) nothing really special, new or breathtakingly innovative. It seems just like the n-th variant of the same old.

I am going to try it out, but I am about 50-50 atm what to think.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Elikal

What bothers me is

a) the overall limited information we have, like this game would still be years ahead to come, and

b) nothing really special, new or breathtakingly innovative. It seems just like the n-th variant of the same old.

I am going to try it out, but I am about 50-50 atm what to think.

Im glad there isnt sites full of must have builds already, a little mystery is always good.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by flguy147

Suprised people are calling it a WOW clone.

You are spot on................. it is a SWTOR clone.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by ste2000

Your own sig says you believe otherwise

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    hmm im gonna try it out if i can get into beta...but im not gonna pay 60$ box just to try it out...
  • Drew213Drew213 Member UncommonPosts: 60

The game is a console PC game and that is what makes it fall short period. When you level up there needs to be a difference and there is not what so ever in the game play which to me spells doom. Not only that the game lacks depth and exploring. The perspectives of 1st to third is great but they are clunky interactions with no thought of true mechanics that makes this series stellar. The problem is when you build a box, sure its great but not everyone wants to fit in it.

It is our choice to buy or not. You would think with all their ability and know how of the game world they would implement some of that with in the confines of this game but they strayed far from it. When you play a Epic game your drawn back to it and I found myself instead walking away. Eye candy is for the console girls, make a PC game please!

I was unaware TOR was a DAOC clone....

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    ESO fails. Play Rust instead.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    ESO fails. Play Rust instead.

lmao, running around with a shotgun and your pecker hanging out isnt a game for everyone.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

No they dont.

In fact the Original Themepark MMO EverQuest had hardly any quests at all

Quests are something that WoW brought full force into the MMO genre

That would be DaoC that brought Quests full force into the MMO genre as it was the first MMORPG which forced questing to max level..........

Anyway, I don't know what TESO the reviewer has been playing because the story is generic and does the IP no justice at all.

The games biggest weakness is its name. Invoke the name TES and you don't think PvP centered game at all and that is what the entire thing is built on. Just plain a poor IP choice for this type of game, or at least, poor choice of development teams. I cant imagine it in the hands of anyone less suitable to make a TES MMO.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by crysent
    Yawn...A bunch of "I refuse to play this game" yada, yada, I'm betting half of you grab a copy as soon as you can.

Nope...really not going to get it.

I have far to many other better options

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its an opinion of the author...

Based on very very much assumptions... I hate this kind of journalists..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DomocusDomocus Member UncommonPosts: 11

Although I am strongly tempted to buy this game, simply due to the complexity of the lore, the combat in this game is extremely lacking. While I did not expect combat on par with even oblivion, each combat ability feels so bland, and even a hit with a powerful spell is lacking, with no clear indication that the ability hit.

I had that signature before ESO was even being announced............. Notice it also says EQ 3 instead of EQNext.

I wished both ESO and EQNext were made as MMOs even before their announcement, that's because I am a fan of  both TES and the EQ games.

Unfortunately both games will be a disappointment for me............... but nevermind.

Luckily there will be plenty of Indie MMOs to play in the next 2 years.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Maybe while the game is loading they should put a sentence that says "the beginning up to level x is a linear introduction. The game world opens up at level y". That way those tempted to leave may stay. Anyway, I haven't seen enough past the lower levels to form an opinion one way or another, but as far as MMO graphics and artistry, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

There Is Always Hope!

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Two things:

NO ONE knows if this game (or wildstar) or any other is going to be great or crap until it releases.  Anyone who writes off a game before hearing real solid reviews from players and friends is an idiot.

And...

I still bet half the naysayers go out and get the game.  Everyone loves to be a critic, no one loves to admit they are a hypocrite. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Two things:

NO ONE knows if this game (or wildstar) or any other is going to be great or crap until it releases.  Anyone who writes off a game before hearing real solid reviews from players and friends is an idiot.

And...

I still bet half the naysayers go out and get the game.  Everyone loves to be a critic, no one loves to admit they are a hypocrite. 

If you're talking about naysayers here, I think you're underestimating... 90% of them will get it.

It's just not internet chic to like things...unless it's something really obscure (hence the heaps of praise for anything indie and on Kickstarter,) that way people will think you're really, really knowledgeable.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

I had that signature before ESO was even being announced............. Notice it also says EQ 3 instead of EQNext.

I wished both ESO and EQNext were made as MMOs even before their announcement, that's because I am a fan of  both TES and the EQ games.

Unfortunately both games will be a disappointment for me............... but nevermind.

Luckily there will be plenty of Indie MMOs to play in the next 2 years.

I think he's talking about this.. "Zenimax.......players want Skyrim Online. They do NOT want WOWTES"

Originally posted by Distopia

I think he's talking about this.. "Zenimax.......players want Skyrim Online. They do NOT want WOWTES"

Again that's because I haven't updated my Sig in ages.

When I first read about ESO it looked to me like a WoW clone........... but then I found out that was an optimistic thought.

Anyway my original comment was purely sarcastic, just to say that if it doesn't look like WoW surely as hell it looks like SWTOR.

Neither of them make justice to the TES series.