Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Trove: So Update. Much Fastness.

Comments

• Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    I don't get it... This looks like a small indie project a couple of grad students would come up with... How is this made by Trion (which I thought was a big studio ?). Did Defiance really put them near bankruptcy ?

I originally heard that it was just a side project that a couple of employees at Trion were messing around with after work and once it showed potential, Trion added some members to the dev team.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    to me the question isnt "would i have fun playing this" because i am fairly sure i would.  the question is "what is going to draw me to this game rather than Landmark? "  when landmark seems like this with better graphics and physics.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Looks like Trion finally found something that is right within their abilities of development. Stackable blocks of various colors.

Anything of a bigger scope they mess up anyway.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I really do not get why people would think Trion is doing anything different then copy and past. Rift was a carbon copy of wow with warhammer public quests at release and took almost a year to build its own identity. Hell I remember the cheap blow advertising rift did at release saying we are not in azeroth anymore. Does it really surprise anyone that they are now trying to ripoff of minecraft and other voxel games when right now they are pretty popular? Face it this company is far from some grand company with fresh new ideas or great games. Trion just copies the flavor of the month games and puts a couple of spins on them to make money.
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by crysent

Someone who is playing it give an update.  Is it just like Minecraft?  Are there dungeons? raids? special loot?  What exactly is the point besides doing exactly what you do in minecraft?

Anyone?

If you're seriously asking what the point is in playing a game that ripped off another then you need to turn in your gamer card.

The point would be, is the game fun? If yes, then your question is answered. If not, then go to a game that is fun.

I'm hoping this game gets on Steam like Rift and Defiance. Put in a bunch of Steam achieves and cards.

If you tell someone they need to turn in their "gamer card" you just might need to turn in your "social life" card, because I have a feeling it's long gone ):

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    I fail to understand the hype behind this game. If it didn't have Trion's name on it no one would care. Not trying to be a hater, but you could make this game in 3 months in Unity.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Retired
    I fail to understand the hype behind this game. If it didn't have Trion's name on it no one would care. Not trying to be a hater, but you could make this game in 3 months in Unity.

I look forward to seeing your clone of this then, with ALL the features Trion has in it already, and are planning to add. In fact, since it would be so quick and easy (according to you) I expect MORE than what Trion will have. 

Better hop to it pal, you've got until the end of March...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

Torvaldr I am also in the alpha and the servers are setup for 40 players. There will be social aspects added to Trove, so we will have grouping, friends list, shared cornerstones that you and your friends can build on. Ability to rent your own servers that you control who has access to.

To prevent players griefing other players. Well you will have grouping and locked drops for you and your group. There will not be any PvP in Trove. Your cornerstone is yours to build on and no one else can destroy anything on your cornerstone. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    DMKano- that is by far not true about unity. There is ten times better voxel games running on unity voxel engine that not only look better but are much more fluid as well. 7 Days to Die, StarForge, and Planet Explorers all use unity voxel engine and are open C games. Plus you can host games of up to 40 players just by renting a server yourself for any of those games once they actually leave alpha already. While I wont diss trove directly I can tell you right now you need to google more voxel games and see how far unity has come a long in terms of visual quality and rendering. Just because you can link a bunch of servers together with Rifts server tech doesnt make the game any better than all the other indie devs that are using unity and producing much better games and quality.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    That topic. Much greatness. So doge.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by crysent

I'm not trying to be sarcastic...but why do the character models look like some kind of bird creature in a top hat?

At least minecrafts somewhat looked human...these look like pigeons or something..

This is the first thing that comes to my mind too. I love retro style, but I have no desire to play/see those ugly characters.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Retired

Where are you seeing this hype? Everywhere I go, everyone agrees that it looks meh. Do people actually use Trion's name like it's a reputable company? They made a soulless WoW clone that was forced to go F2P due to lack of player interest.

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

The game looks like it will be a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to checking it out. 

I want to address the comments that mention anything about "rip off". I got news for ya.. the term is stale and overused. We can call most things a rip off.. like all the WOW fans(I played the game for a long time).. I laugh at them when they say this game and that game Ripped off WOW.. WOW Ripped off Everquest.. and you can keep going backwards on things like this all day long but the truth is there are a lot of things similar to other things.. it's gonna be like that. Wait to play the game before you started with the "rip off" bs cause from what I've seen the game is different than the others named. Hey didn't ya know that all fantasy games ripped off Dungeons and Dragons... the comments sound as dumb as the example I just made.

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

Bleh, I'll pass. I built a fine machine to handle newest graphics, why would I want to look at something that appears it should be played on a commodore 64. I'm one of those people who say game play is more important than graphics, however, I don't have this type of graphics in mind when saying that.

Guess my view on games is changing, as I also am not liking the cartoony style some game are using now.

So go ahead and have fun playing it, as I'm voting with my wallet by not even giving it a glance.

yeah, I know, they'll never miss my measly few bucks. But at least I wont feel the need to come back bitching after having spent money on it.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    So how 'bout that ArcheAge

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by DMKano

As much as I loved my C64, I don't remember any game coming even close to this - Elite couldn't even fill the polygons :)

But on the other hand it squeezed truckloads of solar systems into that tiny memory :)

Elite was a masterpiece, nowadays when you have detailed documents about the C-64 and pc's to calculate the registers and stuff, Elite is still amaze me... It's on the same level with Singleton's Lords of Midnight on Speccy, or Carmack's first Doom engine (still remember when I first started it on my 386...). Good ol' times.

Oh, and don't skip Comanche from the list as well. When Rob started in his column of the 3 words of 2013 with "This time last year if you had asked me what the word voxel meant I would have looked at you like you were growing something out of your head and then proceeded to look it up on the internet."  my first thought was: ok, so he haven't played Comanche :)

At the times of slow and clunky, vector-based flight sims, came Comanche and on the same gear, with the same (or slightly better) fps it dished out fully 3D landscape... it was jaw-dropping. Everyone learned for a life what a voxel is.

But it's all off, beside voxels. To say something about Trove too, I like the Cornerstone idea. But I wrote that elsewhere as well.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I always thought Minecraft copied Wurm Online to some extent.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Dear jaded commenting people.

1.  Cubeworld is being developed at a snails pace, the developer said he'd get around to it when he felt like it, so yeah, if someone else wants to develop his half thought out idea then more power to them.

2.  Sure Minecraft is like Legos and Legos are like Lincoln Logs, and there are a lot of things in between.  Why are you guys hung up on who copied who rather than 'is it fun and different enough?'  which should be the ultimate question we as gamers ask ourselves.  You guys talk like marketing execs or something half the time.

3.  Yes the character models look silly, maybe they'll change them, it's Alpha.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    I always thought Minecraft copied Wurm Online to some extent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurm_Online

Wurm Online is a 3D massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Code Club AB (formerly known as Onetoofree AB) in Motala, Sweden. Development started in 2003 by friends Markus Persson[1] and Rolf Jansson  - Wiki link.

You might know Markus Persson, he's known as Notch.  You know, the guy who made Minecraft.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Looks like a rip off of Cube World!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Agree with the rip off of Cube World!
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    What's the point of this game with EQN Landmark just around the corner?
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    What are you guys talking about? This game looks awesome and original... wait... oh... uhm nevermind, I didn't have my glasses on. Carry on the hate.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• Chi55Chi55 Member CommonPosts: 7
    It's not like minecraft. If you like what minecraft does that's what you should be playing IMHO, as Trove worlds will get destroyed after a while. You can build and retain your cornerstone but you cannot integrate it in the landscape, the game is more about exploration, dungeons, loot and combat at the moment. That said, I've been in for a while but I cannot judge it now, there's still a lot missing. The world cycling and quests, classes, more skills, etc. Just wait and see, it's going to be its own thing ;)
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Agree with the rip off of Cube World!

Except for the part where development is actually progressing at a pace where the game will come out of beta.

And for the part where Cube World is a quest driven theme park style game and where Trove is essentially an open world sandbox.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.