Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Beta Preview Dates & More

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Caldrin

One of the only MMOs I am looking foreard to next year.. backed it earleir in the month.

To the poster above MMOs are generally hard to hack/cheat on because msot things are done server side so they would need to figure out a way to manipulate the server code.. of course I am not saying its impossible but wont be easy for people.

I could offer a lot of examples, but you are pretty naive to think that cheat programs have hack the server.  Speed programs pretty much work on any MMO.   There are a lot of hack programs out there that are easy to modify for about any MMO.  PVE games generally have less to gain with hacks, but pvp games are a big draw.  Sure they will catch some, but the smart ones won't get caught.  

Since the game does not have collision detection, pvp will be lame to begin with and cheaters can really take advantage of not having collision detection.  Since the game is full loot it will be a bad experience when you meet one.

Collision detection is only important if there are points to capture (IE WAR), even then it's not exactly needed as CD with 100's of players around is quite annoying.

Huh, when you don't have collision detection, the opposing player can run right through you.  You can't hold a line or anything.  Granted there are guns in this game so a lot of action will be from range, but any melee action in a pvp game is just ridiculous without collision detection.

So go play this game and then tell me how collision detection is not that important when it comes to pvp.

The absent collision detection is secondary to the cheating problem anyways.  With full loot it will be hard for many to not indulge in a couple mods.

BTW there is no rule that says a sandbox has to have full loot pvp.  SWG did not have it and it was the classic sandbox.  These developers are making a big mistake with this design.

/face, /stick?  Problem of players running straight through you is solved.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• moonrunnermoonrunner Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by JC-Smith
    Originally posted by moonrunner

then closed beta so open beta not  likely til late 2014 and more kickstart streaches and I don't see it's release till 2015.

"There is no firm launch date, and never has been".

If that was true how was it that whoever added the game to mmorpg.com had a good enough idea of the development schedule to list it as " Status:Development  (est.rel Q4 2013)"  instead of "(est.rel N/A)" and this site being a news site has a responsibility to report accurate info. if the status has changed, as it obviously has,  then be a responsible new site and update the status.

I mean est release q4 2013 is way to far from "alpha 3 march 2014" unless it was intended to generate hype and up the participation of the original kickstart campaign.

Is this a news site with the usual responsibility of news provides to provide accurate information on the stuff they report on or is it a fan site with no responsibility for the accuracy of the info on the site?

my post wasn't about "when" it was about "post accurate status info or don't post anything.

That just the way I see it and reserve the right to be wrong.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    Im so done kickstarting shit. Ive kickstarted 5 games that wont release until after 2014.
    Well hate to break it to you a KS is a gamble and usually you have a general idea the ETA it's a risk you take,so far all my Kickstarters 11 so far are showing great progress including Repop.

p>
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

Collision detection is only important if there are points to capture (IE WAR), even then it's not exactly needed as CD with 100's of players around is quite annoying.

Huh, when you don't have collision detection, the opposing player can run right through you.  You can't hold a line or anything.  Granted there are guns in this game so a lot of action will be from range, but any melee action in a pvp game is just ridiculous without collision detection.

So go play this game and then tell me how collision detection is not that important when it comes to pvp.

The absent collision detection is secondary to the cheating problem anyways.  With full loot it will be hard for many to not indulge in a couple mods.

BTW there is no rule that says a sandbox has to have full loot pvp.  SWG did not have it and it was the classic sandbox.  These developers are making a big mistake with this design.

SWG also didn't have collision detection and it was by far some of the best PVP in an MMO IMO.  It worked in WAR because the model needed those lines to form in order to hold objectives.  It's a nice feature in some cases, but it detracts from games in other cases.

What I dislike about CD in some of the MMO's I've played that had it is, it becomes a pain in the ass to move in tight spots. Getting caught up on terrain and other players is highly annoying to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    The Repopulation got my vote on Greenlight :D, does anyone know if they are going to sell Early Access like everyone else is doing on Steam? Even though I'm a backer already some friends want to get into closed beta with me but don't want to donate and just want to buy their way in outright..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I like everything this game has to offer save one. If there is a player driven economy, (And it should be if it's a true sandbox) I cannot see how this game won't be a straight up P2W. At an absolute minimum, the economy will be driven by the cash shop and thus the publisher.

From what I've seen so far, it seems like having a tight guild/community will be a much bigger advantage than any amount of money you spend. What did you read that led you to feel it would be straight up P2W?

Read? Why? You don't really have to stretch it that far.

In any game where personal gear determines power, being able to buy such gear is considered P2W.

But what about in a game where the economy is the power? Controlling markets and resources? Having access to a source of credits that others don't, especially in the 1st days after launch, will create a dominance that will be hard to shake. 

And in these cases, it's more than likely, the same players who used real money to get a jump start in the game will also be the ones running the powerful guilds.

Oh. I thought maybe your claim was actually based on something. Didn't realize it was just blind cash shop rage. Nevermind. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I like everything this game has to offer save one. If there is a player driven economy, (And it should be if it's a true sandbox) I cannot see how this game won't be a straight up P2W. At an absolute minimum, the economy will be driven by the cash shop and thus the publisher.

From what I've seen so far, it seems like having a tight guild/community will be a much bigger advantage than any amount of money you spend. What did you read that led you to feel it would be straight up P2W?

Read? Why? You don't really have to stretch it that far.

In any game where personal gear determines power, being able to buy such gear is considered P2W.

But what about in a game where the economy is the power? Controlling markets and resources? Having access to a source of credits that others don't, especially in the 1st days after launch, will create a dominance that will be hard to shake. 

And in these cases, it's more than likely, the same players who used real money to get a jump start in the game will also be the ones running the powerful guilds.

Oh. I thought maybe your claim was actually based on something. Didn't realize it was just blind cash shop rage. Nevermind. 

Yeah OK, then. So the game will have a cash shop and players will be able to buy game currency in a game that is supposed to have a player driven economy.

So please then.......Enlighten my blindness. How will this NOT be P2W.. Oh and please include your sources.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by GeezerGame

Yeah OK, then. So the game will have a cash shop and players will be able to buy game currency in a game that is supposed to have a player driven economy.

So please then.......Enlighten my blindness. How will this NOT be P2W.. Oh and please include your sources.

The Repopulation Cash Shop is purely Cosmetic Items. You cannot buy in-game currency with RL money.

The Devs have already come to these forums and explained this.

Why do you keep perpetuating falsehoods??

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

The Repopulation Cash Shop is purely Cosmetic Items. You cannot buy in-game currency with RL money.

Well, at least you answered my question. Might I see the link please? I really want to see it.

BTW, that's why I kept saying what I said. Because no one until this post, answered my questions.

Can you get currency?

No?

Great!

Can you buy things from the shop that can be traded with other players?

No?

Great!

If this is the case, then fine it's not P2W. 

Again, I would much appreciate it if I can see that post. Not because I don't believe you, but because I really do want this game to work out. And that would go a long way about removing my concerns.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by GeezerGame Yeah OK, then. So the game will have a cash shop and players will be able to buy game currency in a game that is supposed to have a player driven economy.   So please then.......Enlighten my blindness. How will this NOT be P2W.. Oh and please include your sources.

Well, at least you answered my question. Might I see the link please? I really want to see it.

BTW, that's why I kept saying what I said. Because no one until this post, answered my questions.

Can you get currency?

No?

Great!

No?

Great!

Again, I would much appreciate it if I can see that post. Not because I don't believe you, but because I really do want this game to work out. And that would go a long way about removing my concerns.

So because you don't know the answer to a question, you parade around assuming the worst? Also you didn't even ask anybody before jumping right in to the blind criticism.

Can you get currency?

No?

Great!

No?

Great!

The Lead Dev posted in this thread. Post #24

It was in direct response to your P2W comment

Originally posted by JC-Smith
    Just a quick note. You will not be able to buy real equipment or resources as someone had suggested earlier in this thread. The equipment you can purchase will be shells, which are purely cosmetic.  Stats wise they are the same as what you can start the game with at character creation. The stats in Repop come from fittings which will not be for sale.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

If you still dont believe it, I suggest you to to their Forums and send the Devs a PM.

They are a great bunch of people, very open and forthcoming and Im sure they would be happy to explain it a little further

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    I was excited about this game, it had everything I really wanted in a mmo. Sandbox, exploring, major crafting, building, business aspects, pve, pvp, social skill potential, and so much more. Then they tossed in the F2P and now i am skeptical. Can not have a great crafting/player based economy with a F2P game, no game has ever accomplished this. Its almost as if the dev team is selling themselves short even after the huge flux of people interested in this game and all the backers. As a themepark with limited crafting and a loot based economy, sure F2P will be ok. But as a sandbox/crafting/player based economy it is not a good option. Do hope I am wrong, and as i said its only a concern after seeing dozen upon dozen of other F2P games fail in that area. But we shall see, and i do hope I am wrong.

If you still dont believe it, I suggest you to to their Forums and send the Devs a PM.

They are a great bunch of people, very open and forthcoming and Im sure they would be happy to explain it a little further

Thanks for the post. I do appreciate that, I will look at their forums

But I think my questions still stand.

Can these shells be traded or sold?

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    GET OFF MY LAWN!
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Holophonist

Can you get currency?

No?

Great!

No?

Great!

So because you don't know the answer to a question, you parade around assuming the worst? Also you didn't even ask anybody before jumping right in to the blind criticism.

In no way directed at any of the above nor this game, but many companies say this very same thing, and after awhile change their mind. If you are not going to have subs and a cash shop is your only means of making profit, eventually you will see other things offered on the market. You will see essential items on market as many F2P games do.  As many people wont drop thousands of dollars on dolls, clothers, and trinkets that have very little value. Some do, but will those few be able to keep the game afloat?  I do hope I am wrong, but have seen many games say this very same thing and their game ends up being a P2W version of the original.

Sorry, just with my pst experiences with so many other games, its just hard to believe someone will actually hold true to this when its their only form of profit. Again I do hope I am wrong, but after seeing so many games hop the fence chasing dollar signs, its only fair to assume. I know this is a new game, and a new team, but just so many MMORPG  devs are in this rut and expectations of the industry are low on my end. But damn this is a sweet game, i do hope I am wrong. 

Cash Shop is Cosmetic (shell) items only.

There will be  Subscriptions, but they are calling them Memberships. There are 3 Tiers. Each one has different (and better) perks. They will be a 1 Time Purchase.

The F2P is just a basic account with no perks

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Onomas

I was excited about this game, it had everything I really wanted in a mmo. Sandbox, exploring, major crafting, building, business aspects, pve, pvp, social skill potential, and so much more. Then they tossed in the F2P and now i am skeptical. Can not have a great crafting/player based economy with a F2P game, no game has ever accomplished this. Its almost as if the dev team is selling themselves short even after the huge flux of people interested in this game and all the backers. As a themepark with limited crafting and a loot based economy, sure F2P will be ok. But as a sandbox/crafting/player based economy it is not a good option. Do hope I am wrong, and as i said its only a concern after seeing dozen upon dozen of other F2P games fail in that area. But we shall see, and i do hope I am wrong.

I think part of the skepticism is because you basically never see f2p sandboxes. So I think part of the reason you see a conflict between f2p and rich, player driven economies is because f2p games are typically themeparks.

Cash Shop is Cosmetic (shell) items only.

There will be  Subscriptions, but they are calling them Memberships. There are 3 Tiers. Each one has different (and better) perks. They will be a 1 Time Purchase.

The F2P is just a basic account with no perks

Again, thanks. This info is different than what I read  some months back. This does look better. 

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

I hope they don't try to mix Cash Shop cosmetics and in-game skills like barber/make-up artist and tailor.  The Cash Shop stuff will obviously be the "cool" stuff and will essentially make those types of skills obsolete.  The same applies for buffs like health or regen boosts which could be made by cooks or medicine skills. 

Basically, Cash Shop items need to be exclusive and not simply better or prettier versions of things players can make.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by Onomas

I think part of the skepticism is because you basically never see f2p sandboxes. So I think part of the reason you see a conflict between f2p and rich, player driven economies is because f2p games are typically themeparks.

I'll give 2 examples of games that raise red flags.

Anarchy Online. in Nov of 2010 they announced an in game item shop. They would focus on cosmetics and would not sell power. Pretty much a BS statement. You could use the shop to get credits. Then they had EFFED up mechanics that capitalized on cash shop trading. Such as "Loot Right" selling. Being able to buy raid gear. LOL.

Another example was Perpetuum Online. (A sand box modeled after EVE) OK, no cash shop of any kind. However, there was this little unannounced deal that, for the most part, only the beta testers knew about. It was that if you pre-ordered the game, you would receive 5 days of skill points. Was this huge? no. But when it was made available straight from launch, where no one had anything to begin with, it created a situation where this one particular Org, M2S which was made up of all those beta testers, was able to establish dominance in the game. They remained unchallenged for quite some time. I was in PO from day one, but I was not in the beta and I did not pre order. I was in a corp called Sachs. We were part of an alliance. There were pretty much 2 alliances. M2S and their followers and ours. We could not touch them. we could not challenge them And I watched player after player get fed up at not being able to challenge this group and quit.

You may say that's not P2W, I won't argue. But what happened is exactly what could happen in a game that has the ability to pay for early advantages in a sandbox, even if they are slight.

You guys can call me blind, but i've seen this before and I've been burned before.  I don't need sources or references to know where potential problems exist. Nor am I spreading falsehoods when I say..."If this game is such, then........." It's just being skeptical. I'd rather not waste my timein a game that promised to exist but really doesn't