Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

14.99 on Amazon.com

2»

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by amber-r
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by dreamer05

You know a game is struggling for new blood when "its cheap" is the main argument XD

Price has always been low fyi btw.

I didn't say that that was the main reason to pick it up. 

It's a very entertaining game, and the low price ensures you won't pay 60$ for something that ends up being boring (like GW2 for me), and then in turn leads to guilt and disappointment.  If it wasn't for you, then you only spent 15$.

PS:  It's now today only 12.99$!  Pick it up, it's worth a shot.

Problem with the GW2 example though...

I payed $30 for GW2 and will never have to pay another penny for as long as I choose to play (outside of optional cash shop purchases or possible retail expansions - which I'm still not required to pay if I only wish to continue playing the game as it is now).

With FFXIV, even if I payed $10 for it, it still requires a subscription to continue playing. So, within a couple months, I'd have paid about as much as I would for GW2 anyway. A couple months after that I'd have paid more than that, and I'd have to continue paying even further if I wanted to keep my XIV sub active.

Now mind you, I prefer a subscription fee over a cash shop model any day of the week. I'm not a fan of cash shops at all. But when it comes to making comparisons between the cost of two games... GW2 is really not the best choice.

Well, Guild Wars 2 is $50 now so that's as much as 5 months in FFXIV.  Now if you got 5 months worth of enjoyment out of Guild Wars 2 good for you, I'm sure lots of people did.  But if you didn't, if like the poster you quickly got bored (if you are a typical MMORPG player 1-2 months is more than enough to see everything in GW2) then it isn't as good of a value.  There just isn't that much to do in Guild Wars 2 long term (other than repeating the same content and their events, merely because it is "fun for you"), but that's the point of an MMO that doesn't focus on progression.  Very different games, and values. 

I see Guild Wars 2 as a poor value because it is very shallow in terms of what I expect to get out of an RPG (online or not), if the tables were turned though and it was only $15 (still w/ no sub) it would be more worth my money.

Guild wars 2 is $30

FFXIV is 14.99 to buy and 14.99 per month, so after 2 months of FFXIV it's more expensive, where are you getting this 5 months?

In GW2 if you do play it for 2 months and leave (even though most play is far longer), you can still come back anytime you want for new patches or just use it as a chat room or pretty much anything since you own it.

The difference as I stated is, you pay $30 to own Guild wars 2 and any future patches they ever put out.  It's your game and your characters to come back to as you wish.

You simply rent FFXIV and only have access to your characters if you continue to pay, if you want to try it in 6 months you gotta pay $14.99 and if you don't like the new patch...well tough you just paid $14.99.  If you just want to log on to say hello to your guild, you won't because that alone isn't worth paying $14.99 for.

They don't even give you a guarantee of holding your character, you can play for 2 months, quit and maybe come back in 12 months and they deleted your character and your game is no longer valid forcing you to buy it again...this happened to me on FFXI when I bought it at launch.

lol

You must not have played many MMORPG's they don't just delete inactive characters in subscriptions MMORPG's (character data does not take up that much room).  They didn't do this in FFXI either, you just lost your account information or were banned.  Something that can certainly happen in a B2P game not that I would care about my GW2 character being deleted because it would take so little effort to get everything back since I don't buy stuff in the cash shop which is the only meaningful progression you can "earn" for your character.

Also the sub for FFXIV is not $14.99, it is 12 and I pay like 7 with the multi-month discount.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

[mod edit]

Square does delete inactive accounts its proven time after time say what you want but its a fact.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by tet666

[mod edit]

Square does delete inactive accounts its proven time after time say what you want but its a fact.

They haven't deleted inactive accounts for awhile now. They used to though. 

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

You know a game is struggling for new blood when "its cheap" is the main argument XD

It's a very entertaining game, and the low price ensures you won't pay 60$ for something that ends up being boring (like GW2 for me), and then in turn leads to guilt and disappointment.  If it wasn't for you, then you only spent 15$.

I payed $30 for GW2 and will never have to pay another penny for as long as I choose to play (outside of optional cash shop purchases or possible retail expansions - which I'm still not required to pay if I only wish to continue playing the game as it is now).

With FFXIV, even if I payed $10 for it, it still requires a subscription to continue playing. So, within a couple months, I'd have paid about as much as I would for GW2 anyway. A couple months after that I'd have paid more than that, and I'd have to continue paying even further if I wanted to keep my XIV sub active.

Now mind you, I prefer a subscription fee over a cash shop model any day of the week. I'm not a fan of cash shops at all. But when it comes to making comparisons between the cost of two games... GW2 is really not the best choice.

Well, Guild Wars 2 is $50 now so that's as much as 5 months in FFXIV.  Now if you got 5 months worth of enjoyment out of Guild Wars 2 good for you, I'm sure lots of people did.  But if you didn't, if like the poster you quickly got bored (if you are a typical MMORPG player 1-2 months is more than enough to see everything in GW2) then it isn't as good of a value.  There just isn't that much to do in Guild Wars 2 long term (other than repeating the same content and their events, merely because it is "fun for you"), but that's the point of an MMO that doesn't focus on progression.  Very different games, and values. 

I see Guild Wars 2 as a poor value because it is very shallow in terms of what I expect to get out of an RPG (online or not), if the tables were turned though and it was only $15 (still w/ no sub) it would be more worth my money.

Guild wars 2 is $30

FFXIV is 14.99 to buy and 14.99 per month, so after 2 months of FFXIV it's more expensive, where are you getting this 5 months?

In GW2 if you do play it for 2 months and leave (even though most play is far longer), you can still come back anytime you want for new patches or just use it as a chat room or pretty much anything since you own it.

The difference as I stated is, you pay $30 to own Guild wars 2 and any future patches they ever put out.  It's your game and your characters to come back to as you wish.

You simply rent FFXIV and only have access to your characters if you continue to pay, if you want to try it in 6 months you gotta pay $14.99 and if you don't like the new patch...well tough you just paid $14.99.  If you just want to log on to say hello to your guild, you won't because that alone isn't worth paying $14.99 for.

They don't even give you a guarantee of holding your character, you can play for 2 months, quit and maybe come back in 12 months and they deleted your character and your game is no longer valid forcing you to buy it again...this happened to me on FFXI when I bought it at launch.

lol

You must not have played many MMORPG's they don't just delete inactive characters in subscriptions MMORPG's (character data does not take up that much room).  They didn't do this in FFXI either, you just lost your account information or were banned.  Something that can certainly happen in a B2P game not that I would care about my GW2 character being deleted because it would take so little effort to get everything back since I don't buy stuff in the cash shop which is the only meaningful progression you can "earn" for your character.

Also the sub for FFXIV is not $14.99, it is 12 and I pay like 7 with the multi-month discount.

It's 14.99 for a full account (if you want more than 1 character) and they used to delete inactive accounts when FFXI was still popular, whether they do or don't on XIV is unknown but they did at one point in a previous title so it's a possibility. 

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Guild wars 2 is $30

lol

It's 14.99 for a full account (if you want more than 1 character) and they used to delete inactive accounts when FFXI was still popular, whether they do or don't on XIV is unknown but they did at one point in a previous title so it's a possibility. 

No they didn't, like many MMORPG's at the time they had crappy customer service but I quit many times since 2003 "when it was popular" and always got my character back.  That you didn't was something you did wrong, because they didn't just delete characters randomly.  But hey whatever excuses you need to show that it is actually the subscription model that is a scam go ahead if it makes you feel better.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    still over priced free is the only price that justifies that old game.
  • amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Never mind, can't be bothered to argue about this silly point.

*edited*

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Raquis
    still over priced free is the only price that justifies that old game.

If you're talking about FF14 it's actually completely redone and really well done in my opinion.  The population is really healthy everywhere I've been as well on Faerie server.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

I paid 50$ for GW2 and only played it for a couple of days because I found it very boring.  I only paid 14$ for FF14 and have been playing it non-stop for a few days now and see myself continuing to play.  That to me is a better deal than GW2 even if I do end up continuing to play and paying the monthly sub.

Originally posted by Vynt
    It is $11.99 now, lol. Think I will pick it up at that price. I almost did other day when it was 14.99

On Amazon it runs an automated system that lowers the price more and more if it's not selling, which is why it keeps dropping.

If the price works and it starts to sell it shoots back up again, since it keeps dropping I guess even the low price isn't encouraging anyone :(

To be honest in the MMO field low price doesn't really do much, almost every single MMO either has a free trial or is completely free to play, given that you are really only paying that amount for 30 days it's not exactly that good of a deal in reality.

As someone already said, this is completely made up and not true at all.  Please don't input if you're going to just make lies up with no facts to support them.  I know for a fact what you said here is not true.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

I personally know this game is easily worth 50 bucks for six months from launch.  

I also know that they have no capital for server space for housing....    Why are they offering this game at 14.99 when they suffer lack of server space for basic features like housing, ect???  

SE really knows how to give themselves out cheap then ruin their game over being too giving and apologetic.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by fistorm

I personally know this game is easily worth 50 bucks for six months from launch.  

I also know that they have no capital for server space for housing....    Why are they offering this game at 14.99 when they suffer lack of server space for basic features like housing, ect???  

SE really knows how to give themselves out cheap then ruin their game over being too giving and apologetic.

I'd guess it's because like YoshiP said in his letter from two days ago that they are constantly expanding their physical servers and making them able to sustain more simultaneous connections.

They stopped sales several times when they were at capacity, so I'd say that they are currently not, having expanded the capacity several times.  The capabilities of everyone having a house and of having more players play the game are two different things, and perhaps the solutions are two separate things as well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I was expecting frustration and i got it.

Tries Amazon,nothing but ERROR so i gave up on Amazon.

I figure ok i'll try Square Enix,they actually don't even handle their own sales,some UK company does and that is sad.It is a total BS setup,it had me entering and submit the same information too many times.I was like OH NO you don't,next thing i have made several purchases of a game when i only want 1.So i said  no to that UK dealing as well.

I wish Steam would get this game up,no idea what is taking so long,it is 15 bucks now on Square  and Amazon so the price is there.Maybe they are working on it because Steam purchase usually yields some in game item/s,

If Square can't get their community and support working better they will continue to lose out on thousands of customers,the same issues FFXI had. BTW i also tried to buy a physical copy at Future shop,none left ,course tons of Wow discs.No wonder Wow has always had so many players even 5 years ago,at EBoutique the only PC game they carried was Wow,they removed all other PC games except that and a few Games for Windows CD's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I was expecting frustration and i got it.

Tries Amazon,nothing but ERROR so i gave up on Amazon.

I figure ok i'll try Square Enix,they actually don't even handle their own sales,some UK company does and that is sad.It is a total BS setup,it had me entering and submit the same information too many times.I was like OH NO you don't,next thing i have made several purchases of a game when i only want 1.So i said  no to that UK dealing as well.

I wish Steam would get this game up,no idea what is taking so long,it is 15 bucks now on Square  and Amazon so the price is there.Maybe they are working on it because Steam purchase usually yields some in game item/s,

If Square can't get their community and support working better they will continue to lose out on thousands of customers,the same issues FFXI had. BTW i also tried to buy a physical copy at Future shop,none left ,course tons of Wow discs.No wonder Wow has always had so many players even 5 years ago,at EBoutique the only PC game they carried was Wow,they removed all other PC games except that and a few Games for Windows CD's.

I don't know what kind of error you are having since you didn't specify, but I have bought dozens of games through Amazon and never had a single issue.  Also their web site is vast and you can always find answers to your questions on there.  If all else fails they have amazing customer service as well.  I have never had an issue with downloading games from them.