Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I finally tried this game...

2»

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I think many of us did enjoy the game and especially story as you are.

I just left once all that ran out.  Stories come to an end and once you've done it all you've done it all.

I do have a friend that still plays this and never left though.  For some it is the best thing out there.  For many of us its just worth a play through to see it all and then no more.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    glad you like it :) 
  • GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

Problems at launch that drove many of us away:

1. Hero engine was used - complete and utter pathetic choice on their part. FPS for many were abysmal, the game couldn't handle more then hand full of players without chugging. We didn't even have high resolution textures! Wow! - CURRENT PROBLEM

2. PvP was abysmal - Huge imbalance between republic and empire side. Illum was a collosal failure. Open PvP was a massive disappointed, with 0% incentives to be involved in it - CURRENT PROBLEM

3. UI was uncustomazible and extremely limited - You couldn't move anything or tweak anything, it was such an embarassement to release AAA mmo in this state -

4. Guild structure a complete joke - It was just a chat channel - that's it. There was nothing that drove you to be in guild. No rewards, or guild xp or anything to strive for.....it didn't even have guild banks!

5. Gameworld was static and lifeless - Soon as most of us went to corasant - we started to realize just how dead and lifeless the game is - and it never changed. Nothing changes in the world. All npc are static and dead, and all come in there usually 3 group setup, so generic, all environment is static and never changing. And there is no openness to it, its all very linear and small....result is very boring and unsatisfying. - CURRENT PROBLEM

6. Space combat - The most lazy, mindless feature they could of attached to the game. This reeked last minute, hey lets throw space combat in really quick before launch. It was fun the first few times, after that....booooooooring. Its star fox - on rails, and that's it....very sad. - CURRENT PROBLEM

7. Nothing to do at endgame other then couple raids and repeat flashpoints - Wheres all the minigames? Where the gathering of materials or harvesting or fishing that even though some don't care for, others do, because not everyone wants to only fight all the time. - CURRENT PROBLEM

8. Single player story low replay value - After you finished your first main character, your honestly spent on it. You might try one more just to see the opposite faction but beyond that, no replay. Because its all the same all the time, you don't change anything or affect anything. CURRENT PROBLEM

9. No housing or any customizing on your spaceship - What we got was one generic ship per class, and that's it, no tweaking, changing, customizing, nothing, cant even invite others to it, not that it matters because no incentive to do so. - CURRENT PROBLEM

10. Realization your whole end-game will be sitting at the republic or empire fleet station - Really? With so many worlds, so many iconic areas in the world of Star Wars, and they built and designed the game so that you have to be at these pathetic stations to access and do anything in the end-game. So insanely sad. - CURRENT PROBLEM

11. Both empire and republic stations are EXACTLY the same. Really? They could not put an ounce of effort and made them different in anything but the color. How pathetic that is coming from a AAA game and a huge budget. - CURRENT PROBLEM

12. Servers - At launch were slammed, so they added 10x more then they needed, so the following months as the game was dieing because it deserved too, many, many servers were dieing. The result was you had 100 servers, and 90 of them were dead.

13. No server transfers - On top of the server problems, they also had no server transfers, so if you was on a dead server which most likey you were, you was stuck, and most just quit.

14. Loading screens to long and to many - Speaks for itself - CURRENT PROBLEM

15. Chat Bubbles - Is this important for everyone? No. Will it make or break a game? No. The reason I put this in here is, not only was it not at launch, but pretty much every other MMO has it as a standard feature, but they said its coming soon at launch. To this day, this small feature, that they overblow how "complex" lol it is to implement to put, just shows how, sad this company is, and just why this game is not that good. Little reasons like this tell you, these guys are just not that good and making a MMO game. - CURRENT PROBLEM

16. Character customization - Huge disappointment - Very limited to what you can do to your character. On top of that, very limited race choices, and all are generic humanoids with different faces pasted on. Again, as with many other areas, it just reeked lazy, unskilled designing. - CURRENT PROBLEM

17. To much emphasis on companions - It sounds good on paper, but in-game, it showed its weakness. First of all, it shows just how pathetic your main character is, without your companion - I mean, im a beast Jedi Knight, but, my little droid is the true hero, because without him, im hopeless in combat. It just put to much emphasis on the need of your 2nd rate companions. What about a Sith Lord, I mean cmon, you really need a little turd following you around to always save you? Sad. On top of that, they automated pretty much everything for you with these companions which leads to next problem.... - CURRENT PROBLEM

18. Crafting is preschool - Its the laziest, lamest, boring crafting system ever. Because of your companions, there just isn't anything deep in it, its all plain, simple. - CURRENT PROBLEM

19. Visuals of gear - Oh my gosh! In the beginning, the looks of gear in this game is so, so unbearable bad - When we got a peak at some of the armor pieces from many of the classes in the game, especially coming from end-game, we was stunned. In a bad way. So poorly made, so cheesy. Basically all your effort in end-game gear, resulted in probably the worse looking gear you could ever wear for your character. You can wear what you now I believe and add raid stats from raid gear, but at launch and after, it was bad...

20. Lots of bugs - Most noticeable was the ones at end-game on raids. Wow they were so unpolished. It is not good to have your end-game riddled with bugs. This hurted a lot, and saw it first hand

21. Let Bioware make an MMO - Sorry, but this company should not have went in the MMO area, and this game 100% clearly showed just how unprepared, and unknowledgeable they were on how to create a proper MMO - instead we got a broken, unfinished, striped single player game with some multiplayer features added. - CURRENT PROBLEM

22. EA was behind it - The undisputed leader in MMO destruction - Look at their MMO history, no really, go to google and search, and find me one MMO they actually did good in. They almost got a handful of MMOs they have already shutdown....yeah. - CURRENT PROBLEM

Ill keep this list going, but for now that's good.....

ANYWAYS that is just some of the crap many of us saw and dealt with and how and why many, many of us left. And the reason we have not come back. Because its basically in the same damn state, with F2P added to it, which is also the worse in the MMO industry.

So enjoy your game, its the only Star Wars MMO unfortunately.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I'd be interested in seeing how the OP thinks after a few months of playing.  The game gives a great first impression, and the real problems don't start to show up until about level 30 to 40.

You make me like charity

• FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Is this another case where a wonderful game had a poor launch and people just tossed it away due to that?  Ala Anarchy Online back in the day?  Or is there really something that I haven't seen yet, something major, that is wrong with this game?

My wife and I played for 1 month at release. We both had digital extended editions, head start, all that. We both leveled one main to max and a couple of alts to 30-40 in that month. We cleared the first raid on normal difficulty.

We loved the class stories and the leveling process. We hated the endgame. The dailies were un-inspired, making them fully voiced was a huge mistake, and the first raid we experienced was buggy and a little too easy. Oh, and the original raid tier sets were hideous looking.

Overall we didn't feel like it had enough longevity for us to make it our "main" MMO. Your mileage may vary. I have been toying with the idea of going back to it to play a character on alt, funzies basis, and maybe check out the new dogfighting PvP. I actually enjoyed the old space missions.

Again, our experience was limited to the first month after launch. I know they have added content since then, and doubtless many things have changed. Glad you are enjoying the game, have fun!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Another one of these threads.

Glad you are enjoying the game, the problem many of us had wasn't that it had a poor launch.  In fact the launch was mostly fine, aside from a few bugs, some server issues and exploits (normal launch stuff).  It was that the game was content light at endgame and there was no decent open world PvP, which you could be mistaken for assuming the game would have based on the trailers.

Once you get past the story, there's really nothing particularly great about the endgame content.  The new galactic fighter update looks interesting, and I did enjoy the Star Fox mini game, but not really my cup of tea for long term content.

I came back a few months ago to check out the changes and I just don't see how anyone could take the game's endgame seriously.  But the game is fun for levelling while the story lasts.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Enjoy your SWTOR honeymoon. We all did at some point.

If your're really lucky, your happiness stays until level 50 or the joy vanishes earlier when you realize that every planet is the same static tunneled linear world than the previous, just in a different color.

Or it vanishes when you realise every mission sends you to go to place X to kill Y mobs and click button Z.

have fun, May it last long for you

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

And all I can say is it is freaking AWESOME!

I have been looking for a real MMO for a long time now and this seems to be the most complete MMO I have played in a while.. Combat is awesome, I like the crafting system, Companions are wonderful, Cut scenes and the story is AMAZING!  I could go on and on... 

I bought into all the negative hype behind this game and that is why I have not tried it sooner.. Really wish they had a limited trial of this game sooner so I could have seen for myself...

Anyways on to my point... What exactly is wrong with this game?  I look around and it doesn't really have anywhere near the amount of people running around that Rift, GW2 or the new Final Fantasy has.  I know the last two are pretty new but IMO this game is superior to all of them.

Is this another case where a wonderful game had a poor launch and people just tossed it away due to that?  Ala Anarchy Online back in the day?  Or is there really something that I haven't seen yet, something major, that is wrong with this game?

How awesome is it for you and what Level have you attained in what classes? I certainly loved the sound of a light sabre, and the pew pew pew sounds are pretty neat, but other than that what do you like about the game so much?

I'm sorry it's pretty empty on your server, try and make the best of it. The bounty hunter storyline is pretty good with imperial agent not all that far behind, inquisitor too if you don't think about how over the top it is. Enjoy what you can, you probably have a long and boring road ahead if you're not subbing.

Good luck, but there's a reason (well there are several) the game is a bit empty.

imageimage
  • Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Enjoy your SWTOR honeymoon. We all did at some point.

If your're really lucky, your happiness stays until level 50 or the joy vanishes earlier when you realize that every planet is the same static tunneled linear world than the previous, just in a different color.

Or it vanishes when you realise every mission sends you to go to place X to kill Y mobs and click button Z.

have fun, May it last long for you

Oh come on Doc don't you know by now everyone knows you spam every single Swtor post with your hate.  Nobody is going to take anything you say about Swtor seriously they are just going to laugh at you for still holding out hope your swg on hope.  

Static worlds sure but the same linear path just new colors yeah nice try.  One world is buildings and tunnels , another is covered in a jungle the next is a desert yep same just new colors please.   There are no kill x that are mandatory those are optional and every mmo has them go cry and whine on those forums.  The HUGE difference in Swtor is you are part of the story you get to choose what happens yes it may not alter the outcome but your path their could be different then a friends.  

Yeah we get it dude you don't enjoy it we get it you hope Swtor a video game fails (that is just pathetic hoping a video game fails) we get it you hope the crew working on Swtor gets fired loses their jobs puts their family in hardship can't feed their kids (what type of person hopes for that? Doc does) 

just move on buddy we all know what your about it's getting old. 

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Loved this game when i played and do plan on trying it again now it's F2P some day to run through the classes i never completed.

The main problem was the subscription fee for a game which is a single player experience and the awful end game raiding and PvP.

Stories are great, companions are great, i even really enjoyed the on-rails space shooter, but it runs out of content really quickly and while each character story is a new experience, its still the same old zones and mobs over and over and the grind inbetween class stories at higher level can be intollerable.

Simply put, great game for a month or two, after that there is nothing left to do.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

And all I can say is it is freaking AWESOME! I have been looking for a real MMO for a long time now and this seems to be the most complete MMO I have played in a while.. Combat is awesome, I like the crafting system, Companions are wonderful, Cut scenes and the story is AMAZING!  I could go on and on...  I bought into all the negative hype behind this game and that is why I have not tried it sooner.. Really wish they had a limited trial of this game sooner so I could have seen for myself... Anyways on to my point... What exactly is wrong with this game?  I look around and it doesn't really have anywhere near the amount of people running around that Rift, GW2 or the new Final Fantasy has.  I know the last two are pretty new but IMO this game is superior to all of them. Is this another case where a wonderful game had a poor launch and people just tossed it away due to that?  Ala Anarchy Online back in the day?  Or is there really something that I haven't seen yet, something major, that is wrong with this game?  

There are several camps on this topic. I will explain my position.

1. It is not open world enough for me. I like to be able to go wherever I want, and this game won't let you.

2. The cut scenes. While well done, get so obnoxious after awhile I want to rip my keyboard in half.

3. And honestly, and this is all my issue not the games. I wanted SWG 2. That was my big let down for this game.

There are many different reason people dislike the game, but my only legitimate reason are 1 & 2. The game is not bad, it is just not my type of game.

I am glad you enjoy it. I wish I did. Oh the Free 2 play model they use is absolutely horrid, but I would just advise people to subscribe.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Loved this game when i played and do plan on trying it again now it's F2P some day to run through the classes i never completed.

The main problem was the subscription fee for a game which is a single player experience and the awful end game raiding and PvP.

Stories are great, companions are great, i even really enjoyed the on-rails space shooter, but it runs out of content really quickly and while each character story is a new experience, its still the same old zones and mobs over and over and the grind inbetween class stories at higher level can be intollerable.

Simply put, great game for a month or two, after that there is nothing left to do.

Do you not like raids gear grinds in general?  Which ops have you ran in Swtor and what didn't you like about them?

i personally enjoy the ops most of the boss mechanics are very well done and require organized team work to down the boss, there still are a few tank and spanks but most are not.  I find the ops tons of fun but I run with a great group maybe that's the difference. 

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

I've recently picked it back up OP as well. I had a lvl 50 BH at launch and some alts along with a like lvl 35 republic trooper but I did get burned out plus guild wars 2 came out. Anyway I played as F2P for a few weeks and the other day decided to resub and I'm enjoying it again. I think some people oversimplify things to make some of the problems worse than they really are. Admittedly there wasn't a lot of endgame content at launch and the lvl 50 PVP area on Ilum sucked.

Some people find the game completely repetitive but I personally think these people don't care about the story and are more about spacebarring through stuff to get to the action. Other people however seem to be fine with the game though. The other day I saw someone on the Trooper forums who proved with a screenshot that they have four lvl 55 troopers. I personally would find that repetitive but to each their own.

The best advice is to concentrate on one character to max or near max level and then if you make an alt make it on the other faction to keep your quests fresh. Then if you make a 3rd alt eventually make it on your original faction alternating like that to help keep things fairly fresh. Also today they launched that Galactic Starfighter freeform space combat patch and I hear good things about that.

• FermianFermian Member UncommonPosts: 28

Its a high quality game with some design flaws. But still a good game imo.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Glad you just tried SWtOR and are enjoying it.

If you are still a paid subscriber after 6 months, then ya it's awesome.

Shine can wear off pretty quick for some.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Many things went wrong during the release and after, I enjoyed the game but had to leave due to the incredible mismanagement that went on.

Just a few things:

*Totally unbalanced population number between Empire / Republic and PvP issues due to that

*Bad design choices by the developers

*Inability to fix any bugs at all (or sometimes stating they did while that was not the case)

*Frustrating RNG back at launch

*Multiple MONTHS without any content update whatsoever

*Creating too many servers then leaving dead servers to rot and whither (some servers had 10 people online  at peak hours for months).

*Choice to focus on grinding gear in later content patches, both in PvP and PvE

The list goes on...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    OP, you'll find that tastes vary in the gaming world. WOW has been the king of MMOs for years and yet I didn't last four months. Many were looking for something different with TOR than the standard themepark game so for them it was a dissapointment. The players that do enjoy it are at endgame in the fleet or grinding dailies on Ilum or oricon. Makeb is also busy. I love the game for the most part. I do think the AI could be much better and crafting should have more purpose at endgame than it does but overall it's the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    OP, you'll find that tastes vary in the gaming world. WOW has been the king of MMOs for years and yet I didn't last four months. Many were looking for something different with TOR than the standard themepark game so for them it was a dissapointment. The players that do enjoy it are at endgame in the fleet or grinding dailies on Ilum or oricon. Makeb is also busy. I love the game for the most part. I do think the AI could be much better and crafting should have more purpose at endgame than it does but overall it's the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.

Unfortunately, sitting on the fleet is part of the endgame.

This does help SWTOR, because people can then claim that there are 3 instances of the fleet on their server (instance = 200 peps).  Then claim the game is populated because they saw a thousand people in one zone!

Most of those people are afk, including myself.  The fleet is essentially the safe spot.

Also if you buy a bunch of stuff from the Cartel Market, then sell it on the GTN (AH), you can get enough currency to buy top stuff to become a nearly-complete raider.  It's exciting.  Instant gratification is what EA wants .. and it's what they get.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ZarobienZarobien Member UncommonPosts: 24

Anyways on to my point... What exactly is wrong with this game?  I look around and it doesn't really have anywhere near the amount of people running around that Rift, GW2 or the new Final Fantasy has.  I know the last two are pretty new but IMO this game is superior to all of them.

The game is ok replacement for light mmorgp's like WoW. The graphics are same low level but the cinematics/storyline is really nice in SWToR. Classes are really unbalances so it's no good pvp game; But the storyline solo play, flying the "fighters" and doing flashpoints are quite fun.

But I cant get in because SWToR has the worst launcher/installer in human history. And they charge you mothly fee for accesing the support that does nothing but insists the error is in your end.

Last time I spend 6 days installing/uninstalling to get online. I made the mistake of paying the monthly fee in advance. This time I tried to install it for 3 days w/o paying the fee and it still doesnt work.

I dunno whats the problem; Every other games works, mems are checked, hd is checked, windows is checked... I have 1TB hard drive and 8GB mem; Checking those takes like 3 days...

I just cant affort spending 7 days installing so I can play for 2-3 hours on the weekends...

So in my view:

Biggest + : Cinematics/Storyline, Crafting, Easy Access Flaspoints

Biggest - : Class inbalances, Launcher/Installer, Non Existant Customer Support, GameDevs hand is constantly on your wallet (Item Mall to open game features needed.)

• jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77
    this game should be played only because of the great stroryline. Im enjoying it very much at the moment but sometimes i think may be they should do kotor 3 instead ) cause many -     of this game imho are connected to its multiplaying part.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Unfortunately, sitting on the fleet is part of the endgame.

This does help SWTOR, because people can then claim that there are 3 instances of the fleet on their server (instance = 200 peps).  Then claim the game is populated because they saw a thousand people in one zone!

Most of those people are afk, including myself.  The fleet is essentially the safe spot.

Also if you buy a bunch of stuff from the Cartel Market, then sell it on the GTN (AH), you can get enough currency to buy top stuff to become a nearly-complete raider.  It's exciting.  Instant gratification is what EA wants .. and it's what they get.

In red is a complete and ignorant lie.  You cannot buy stuff on the GTN that will make you a "nearly complete raider".  Based on this  statement it's clear you don't play Swtor and EVERYTHING else you say should be ignored. 

• Starkiller233Starkiller233 Newbie CommonPosts: 12
    I don't reccomend playing pvp in this game though. It's toxic and disgusting and you can be banned for no reason if enough of players report you even if you did nothing