Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Camelot Unchained: The Becoming: The Trials of Nuada Part III

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com has teamed up with City-State Entertainment to bring our readers a brand new developer blog that gives insight into the design process behind one of Camelot Unchained's iconic heroes, Nuadha Airgetlám. Read the third installment of the series to find out more and let us know what you think in the comments. Then head to the Camelot Unchained site to read the lore.

Having survived  The Depths' opening gambits, Nuada and Nimue find themselves faced with either the daunting task of continuing to explore it or turning around, escaping and possibly putting together another band of adventurers for a return visit. I know which path I would have chosen. What about you? Keep in mind that they don’t know what will happen if they decide to flee. Will The Depths let them escape from its dark embrace?

Read more Camelot Unchained: The Becoming: The Trials of Nuada Part III.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I especially enjoyed Part 3. If this long race story is in part intended to generate interest in meeting the The Depths stretch goal, it's working.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    they should rather start posting updates...glad i didnt invest...pathfinder online is much better on updates
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    they should rather start posting updates...glad i didnt invest...pathfinder online is much better on updates

Pathfinder started their kickstarter later in development (or at least a hell of a jump start seeing they do not have to create their own engine). CU is a true kickstarter. It was to start a project from nearly nothing. Updates have been increasing as the dev team grows. Currently this is typically concept pieces and nicely detailed development sprint updates but since the game is mostly under core component and engine building there isn't as many flashy updates at this time. CU is a chance to get on board a game at the very beginning. It is a longer and more intimate journey. It builds great anticipation for what it to come knowing how development grew from such an early stage. Also it is clear MJ is building CU in a way that likely differs other companies, forged through his years of experience and frustration of previous practices.

You stay sassy!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Why bother with all the lore if this is strictly a pvp game with little or no pve?  I have yet to see a straight pvp game do well yet.  Of course there is always a first time, but the odds are against it.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    So much complaining, get over yourselves and enjoy some actual engaging storyline. Was a great read, can't wait for part IV!
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Why bother with all the lore if this is strictly a pvp game with little or no pve? 

It is a fantasy world setting. It is much more than just a battle ground. Players will be living withing a lore rich world, building it and going to war against each other. The only difference is that you won't be killing 55,250 npcs before you go to war.

It is basically DAoC but without the wasted time leveling in a safe zone so you are powerful enough to do what kept the game going all these years: RvR.

You stay sassy!

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Pathfinder started their kickstarter later in development (or at least a hell of a jump start seeing they do not have to create their own engine). CU is a true kickstarter. It was to start a project from nearly nothing. Updates have been increasing as the dev team grows. Currently this is typically concept pieces and nicely detailed development sprint updates but since the game is mostly under core component and engine building there isn't as many flashy updates at this time. CU is a chance to get on board a game at the very beginning. It is a longer and more intimate journey. It builds great anticipation for what it to come knowing how development grew from such an early stage. Also it is clear MJ is building CU in a way that likely differs other companies, forged through his years of experience and frustration of previous practices.

oh im really sorry, i didnt know that cu was the one TRUE kickstarter...bowing down to that majestic creature

Originally posted by Tamanous

oh im really sorry, i didnt know that cu was the one TRUE kickstarter...bowing down to that majestic creature

You entirely missed my point and simply want to be rebellious. I'll let this slide as an immature mistake on your part.

You stay sassy!

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    I don't normally take the time to get into a games lore but at this pace I am truly enjoying it and look forward to each and every piece.  Very exciting story.

Nanulak

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I get updates all the time for CU, have a folder full of them, on #86 already. They seem to come about every 2-3, maybe a week, rarely longer.  If it is longer than that, the update is usually more meaty. Just looking on Pathfinder's site and kickstarter, they seem to update less often.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by grogstorm
    I don't normally take the time to get into a games lore but at this pace I am truly enjoying it and look forward to each and every piece.  Very exciting story.

Just my guess, but come January 2014 when the Inetrnal testers start beating on the code the pace of updates will escalate as parts of the real game get validated.  And there will be more "real" physical elements to report on.

Nanulak

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Great update!  Loving this story.  Nice job of conveying the sentient and horrific nature of the Depths and its abominations.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Yowza. Nicely done! So many possibilities with the Depths. Some fun sneak peeks at potential game mechanics here as well. Loved it, want it. 
  • smellyfeetsmellyfeet Member Posts: 4
    Why bother with all the lore if this is strictly a pvp game with little or no pve?  I have yet to see a straight pvp game do well yet.  Of course there is always a first time, but the odds are against it.

There is some PVE for crafting goods (and not for XP).  Not up to RVR, then do crafting because the only way (other then starter gear) for mid to upper levels to get gear is via PC crafters.  CSE stated long ago their target stable population is between 50K and 100K so it's clearly doable based on subscription based system that targets RVR jocks and folks like me who also like to do crafting when I don't feel like doing combat for the night.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I can't get into reading,this is not selling books we are talking 3d VIDEO gaming.

I am sure the ideas are grandeur but i want to SEE them not hear about them.This is what quality developers do,they create videos for potential customers to enjoy.This is what Wildstar team did to get recognition,they created MANY enjoyable videos to watch.

When i play a game i SHOULD be able to recognize and see the LORE for myself,i really should not need to read any stories about it.

Show us a video of this Nuadha ,it's surroundings,how it fights,what RACE and culture is it part of what type of weapon/s does it wield,what does it sound like ect ect.

Here is an example if wanting to show case a certain creature,i have shown it before.A HL Strider,you get a real feel for the creature SEEING it and not reading about it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SirikinSirikin Member Posts: 3

This was a really great piece. It really gives a lot of goodies about the depths.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I can't get into reading,this is not selling books we are talking 3d VIDEO gaming.

I am sure the ideas are grandeur but i want to SEE them not hear about them.This is what quality developers do,they create videos for potential customers to enjoy.This is what Wildstar team did to get recognition,they created MANY enjoyable videos to watch.

When i play a game i SHOULD be able to recognize and see the LORE for myself,i really should not need to read any stories about it.

Show us a video of this Nuadha ,it's surroundings,how it fights,what RACE and culture is it part of what type of weapon/s does it wield,what does it sound like ect ect.

Here is an example if wanting to show case a certain creature,i have shown it before.A HL Strider,you get a real feel for the creature SEEING it and not reading about it.

That is a whole lot of words to say you are too lazy to read. Somewhere along the line you forgot where imagination and game meet within a roleplaying game.

You evidently have never played a pnp rpg game. It takes many hours of preparation and writing before you even play a session. Sticking a cd in or double clicking an icon for instant gratification is a generation you may find yourself more interested in. I suggest you leave this website and stick to single player and console forums.

Before the pretty graphics required for your enjoyment are created a developing company has gone through countless man hours of idea building, writing, conceptual construction, coding, testing, etc. We simply get to see the ember that sparks the flame at this stage. Some of us actually appreciate this.

You stay sassy!

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by smellyfeet

There is some PVE for crafting goods (and not for XP).  Not up to RVR, then do crafting because the only way (other then starter gear) for mid to upper levels to get gear is via PC crafters.  CSE stated long ago their target stable population is between 50K and 100K so it's clearly doable based on subscription based system that targets RVR jocks and folks like me who also like to do crafting when I don't feel like doing combat for the night.

Even so, the game is PvP centric which typical sterotypes of PvPers is they can give a rats ass.  Lore is nice n all but when you put too much in and neglect other aspects... Hellllooooo SWTOR!!!  Hopefully the lore stuff is just a side project and no resources are overly wasted.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Well... Basically it's M "lol" J. Of course it has great lore but for this daoc is way better. How bout showing something?

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Early development game is early.

Guys, in the design phase, sometimes you design. Mark is not coding CU. He is not taking time out of his busy engine-building schedule to write fiction because he expects people to take off their pants and have a go at themselves. He is  providing lore for the fans who are asking for it. Daily. Hourly.

The CU fans care about the lore. They care about the world they will be fighting for and why they are fighting for it. Many look forward to roleplaying as well as PvPing. The Veilstorms and Depths could hold any number of mysteries anyway. 

CU fans are not your normal PvPers. 

This is not supposed to substitute for a trailer. It is another way that CSE is showing that they are listening. And it's rad.

• aendamaendam Member Posts: 12

I guess you have not looked at there website http://camelotunchained.com/en/ but they post all updates there. Im glad i did invest as they are keeping me updated every week.