Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR had the best combat of any MMO since WoW.

1235»

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    Originally posted by tixylix

I loved SWTORs combat when the game came out, it was about the only thing that game got right.

You got to be kidding on this one... It was actually one of the worst part of the game. Clunky as hell, LoS wasn't even working properly, delayed abilities because of animations, UI poorly coded that allowed you to cheat pretty easily and made some abilities OP as hell. If this is your definition of "good combat" or "combat done right" you clearly don't know much about how combat works in a MMO.

this..pretty much every mmo, ive ever tried, has better combat, than swtor

the launch state was pretty good , actually

but, that doesnt help much, when the system , itself, is borked

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

wrong thread.

• A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Wow can tell its around the holidays  a Nero resurrection post,  But  Swtor  combat wasn't bad  but to say that Gw2 combat was better?  I prefer rifts multi soul multi spec TBH to either of the 2   More interested to see how trinity and specs will play in Elder Scrolls  ATM

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I thought the combat animations where great, the way they where tightly synced to the damage. I also really liked the resources system. 

What killed the game for me was they went out of their way to make sure there was no combat in the game world. Even though Huttball was great, there are only so many battle grounds a person can do. Illum sealed swtor's fate. As a pvpr in a themepark, there must be variety, battle grounds, wpvp, duels, arena, etc. Swtor only had battle grounds. All the pvprs left.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Ill agree that the trinity is more compelling than non trinity (though would rather go back to EQ1 where the trinity was tank/heal/crowd control) and that so far action combat has been a complete bore in MMORPGs, SWToR combat was not very good.  Like Rift, it tried to emulate WoW.  And like Rift, its neither as smooth or as deep.

Rift did not in any way attempt to emulate WoW. If you think that, you have obviously never played either game.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52
    WoW had the best combat, let alone decent?
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Tatercake
    I CAN NOT STAND WOW COMBAT  oh my god dude  you like wow combat my god whats wrng with you  tera combat was fun im so tired of all these games trying to be like wow and its childish combat system

Ditto here friend.  Give me a more visceral and realistic combat that actually takes skill rather the ncommiting to muscle memory 48 frikken keybinds.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Umm OP,i do not care one iota about actrion combat,and yet SWTOR is one of the worst lowest effort combat structures i have seen in any game outside of the huge influx of f2p games now.

I actually REALLY wanted to like SWTOR,i played it a lot and tried every single class.The combat is actually what turned me away and everything else that is tied into combat.The game was so incredibly generic in it's design,EVERY single aspect of combat remained the same,groups of 3 mobs all tied to the same AI,no way to pull just one mob if soloing,you get all three because they are on the same AI.

Choice was NOT at all in the game,no choice in weapons and no choice in how to play,you HAD to follow the linear questing design.

I do not think much of Wow at all, but i will acknowledge that Wow's combat is miles better than SWTOR,pretty much every game i have played is better than SWTOR's combat,it is the weakest point of the game.

IMO SWTOR is a game that was too costly to bring it to the EPIC proportions most of wanted to see,several areas of the game looked rushed or just done very cheaply to get it done quicker.Given a better developer and another full year and a restructured combat/AI,SWTOR could have been a really good game,as is,it is no more than f2p quality.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Umm OP,i do not care one iota about actrion combat,and yet SWTOR is one of the worst lowest effort combat structures i have seen in any game outside of the huge influx of f2p games now.

I actually REALLY wanted to like SWTOR,i played it a lot and tried every single class.The combat is actually what turned me away and everything else that is tied into combat.The game was so incredibly generic in it's design,EVERY single aspect of combat remained the same,groups of 3 mobs all tied to the same AI,no way to pull just one mob if soloing,you get all three because they are on the same AI.

Choice was NOT at all in the game,no choice in weapons and no choice in how to play,you HAD to follow the linear questing design.

I do not think much of Wow at all, but i will acknowledge that Wow's combat is miles better than SWTOR,pretty much every game i have played is better than SWTOR's combat,it is the weakest point of the game.

IMO SWTOR is a game that was too costly to bring it to the EPIC proportions most of wanted to see,several areas of the game looked rushed or just done very cheaply to get it done quicker.Given a better developer and another full year and a restructured combat/AI,SWTOR could have been a really good game,as is,it is no more than f2p quality.

QFT, they rushed it , so they could get the Cash for the rest of the IP

any mmo will become stale and boring, at some point

this game made it so much faster , than most other games

the lack of choices are mind boggling

its about as linear, as dragon age 1

the combat is more similar, to chopping wood

1 more year wouldnt have been enough, it needed 2 more

PS: DA 1 is actually less linear, than this, the convo choices there have big consequences in game

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

I found SWTOR combat quite dull, and the environments even duller (absolutely hated Taris). I don't like how fleet centric the game was. I played SW Galaxies a bit, and even though the graphics were sucky, I thought it was way better than SWTOR because it had such great housing, pet breeding, the entertainer class, and crafting, and stuff like treasure maps. Personally I prefer the combat and gameplay in games like DDO, Eve Online, and EQ2. Didn't play Wow for long at all, so it's not my thing either.

I feel that SWTOR works okay for Star Wars fans, and doesn't really translate well to non-Star Wars fans like me. It's pretty much mostly a guy's kind of game.  I haven't regretted killing my SWTOR sub, which I did just prior to the "free" to play switch. I'm gonna try Wildstar, which I think I'll like more because of better emphasis on things like housing. The Wildstar art also looks nicer to me.

Things I've read about such as the greedy cartel market, annoying interface restrictions, and  loss of character names are huge put offs to ever resubbing to SWTOR. Hi Five to anyone who likes it, it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I'm not sure what's funnier..  the OP posting this thread, or all the people still addressing him/her when this thread was created back in June.
  • ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by observer
    I'm not sure what's funnier..  the OP posting this thread, or all the people still addressing him/her when this thread was created back in June.

Lol right about that. I replied to it because this site had it listed as active on the home page. I reckon lots of old threads get resurrected that way by MMORPG.com. I didn't even notice that it started so long ago.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    My favorite combat is still Pre-CU SWG. It was slow combat, but I loved the fact you had three different ways of incapping your opponent. There was much more strategizing to it and something you can't get with the faster action combat that is in today's games.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This thread was started in July, and was last active in August. Locking it. If you want to discuss the subject, please start a current thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.