Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I signed up for the trailblazer pack..

DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

...now let the hate and flaming begin! 

But in all serousness I am stoked for landmark, I played and enjoyed minecraft for years (what was it, $11.00?) either way got way more then my monies worth out of it. And Landmark really looks like Minecraft 15.0

As I see it, Landmark is almost a open beta for EQ:N, alot of people complain that games are rushed etc etc.. but with SOE's new model, they are going to get to test:

Server hardware

building mechanisms 

game engines

combat ideas and mechanics 

etc.. 

And yes I do find it really funny that when EQ was announced less then a year ago, alot of people on the forums where "its not even built yet, its not going to happen" and boom, less thena  year later I will be playing a working version of it.

Anyways, I am stoked! and really happy to see a company trying something new.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    You assume to have gotten your moneis worth. Yet you can quantify that and compare it to anything of real value. When it comes virtual items you can not actually posses, any inhearant value is non-existant.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Sorry, I'm not stoked but I will try it. I see this game as a mix between Minecraft and my Grandkids XBox 360 Skylanders game. It will probably be a hit with the younger crowd but It just isn't doing it for me. No malice towards those who are looking forward to it, this is my opinion. :D

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Have fun, I do not know if I will end up liking either, but it is your money, and I am sure if you couldn't afford it, you wouldn't of done it.

I think EQN:L has potential to be huge, and bigger than EQN, but I am looking forward to EQN more myself, as long as it feels worth doing, as not way too casual.  I know it will be casual, but the extent they do will be a factor for me.

So enjoy, I thought about it, but I do not know enough yet, I see the big plans, but until it is a finished product or close, it probably isn't on my radar to mess with.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by lugal
    You assume to have gotten your moneis worth. Yet you can quantify that and compare it to anything of real value. When it comes virtual items you can not actually posses, any inhearant value is non-existant.

And you assume to know what my money is worth.

For a poor person, you would need great enjoyment to have your $100.00 be "worth"

For a multi millionair, a decent meal would be "worth" $100.00

But considering my financial situation, I have spent my $100.00 well. (based on the dev videos and screenshots etc.. that I have seen)

But you bring up a good point, I don't actually posses any of those items.. But really, do we ever "posses" ingame items?

When I spend $10.00 on a league of legends skin for a champion, do I own it?...not really, if my account should get banned *poof* its gone, if they should shut down their servers in a few years... what happened to MY skin?!

...or is it really mine?

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

Originally posted by Xthos

Have fun, I do not know if I will end up liking either, but it is your money, and I am sure if you couldn't afford it, you wouldn't of done it.

I think EQN:L has potential to be huge, and bigger than EQN, but I am looking forward to EQN more myself, as long as it feels worth doing, as not way too casual.  I know it will be casual, but the extent they do will be a factor for me.

So enjoy, I thought about it, but I do not know enough yet, I see the big plans, but until it is a finished product or close, it probably isn't on my radar to mess with.

I'm hopefully going to be playing both as well. And honestly if there was a better game out there right now, I would probably be playing that.

But the MMO market has run really fkn dry as of late, and League only gets me so far.. So hopefully this will fill the gaps before EQ:N comes out.

:D

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Dewm

And you assume to know what my money is worth.

For a poor person, you would need great enjoyment to have your $100.00 be "worth"

For a multi millionair, a decent meal would be "worth" $100.00

But considering my financial situation, I have spent my $100.00 well. (based on the dev videos and screenshots etc.. that I have seen)

But you bring up a good point, I don't actually posses any of those items.. But really, do we ever "posses" ingame items?

When I spend $10.00 on a league of legends skin for a champion, do I own it?...not really, if my account should get banned *poof* its gone, if they should shut down their servers in a few years... what happened to MY skin?!

...or is it really mine?

Reminds me of a "F2P" title that surprisingly offered some really useful items in their cash shop at 50% off normal price, such a great deal I bought 2 of them for a total of about 50.00.    Only to see the game shut down two weeks later.  (The discounts were actually a last ditch effort by the Developers to save the game from shutting down)

So no, you don't really own anything, think of it as a short term lease which varies in duration, and you never quite know when it will run out.

As for buying the pre-order pack, it's worth it to you, just like me sending a "donation" to CU was worth it to me.

We both are buying on promises and faith, and fortunately we can afford it.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Xthos

I'm hopefully going to be playing both as well. And honestly if there was a better game out there right now, I would probably be playing that.

But the MMO market has run really fkn dry as of late, and League only gets me so far.. So hopefully this will fill the gaps before EQ:N comes out.

:D

Yeah, I play LoL and Civ IV a lot right now, considered going back to EQ, EQ2, TSW, or VG, but the wife didn't seem too big on the idea.  She seems focused on EQN and EQN:L, but when we played UO, I had to build the houses and such, she didn't like her designs, so I don't know how she will like EQN:L, especially until they get the more mmorpg aspects into place, like the pve type things and people maybe have made some nice content, since she isn't a big builder.

Originally posted by Kyleran

>snip<

Reminds me of a "F2P" title that surprisingly offered some really useful items in their cash shop at 50% off normal price, such a great deal I bought 2 of them for a total of about 50.00.    Only to see the game shut down two weeks later.  (The discounts were actually a last ditch effort by the Developers to save the game from shutting down)

So no, you don't really own anything, think of it as a short term lease which varies in duration, and you never quite know when it will run out.

As for buying the pre-order pack, it's worth it to you, just like me sending a "donation" to CU was worth it to me.

We both are buying on promises and faith, and fortunately we can afford it.  image

CU?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

what the OP and others are paying for is entertainment and there is only one true measure of that, whether the individual paying comes away entertained or not.

you can't tag a ticket to any form of entertainment, from movies to concerts to sporting events, as worth it. (please don't use the argument of extremes here, it shows nothing but that an analogy cannot be perfect.)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

Dont know if I could go the whole 100.00 right now. I like what they are talking and showing and get all school girl giddy thinking of the potential for player created content (beyond models, i.e. NPC's, Quests sets, Dungeons)

I'm just really scared of what the Cash shop is going to be like. If I am having to buy textures/skins/tools via the shop, I'll never set foot in the game.

Even so, I'm going to get the ?explorer? ..middle priced one on the faith that I do like what I see so far, and I'll help them test it for awhile since I have no MMO on the horizon for the forseeable future with ESO being trash, not interested in Star CItizen...that leaves me WH40K...and I aint holding my breath on that one. Repop is a ways out, and CU is way way out as well as Pathfinder Online. WoD is going going gone....so this is really it for me for the time being.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    The worth of any game, item, or virtual toy can only be appreciated at the individual level due to everyone's status, or monetary situation at any given time.
    The way I see it, if I pay 8 bucks a month for Netflix, and watch at least 1show, it worth it to me. If I pay for music unlimited, and listen to one album a month, it's useful for me, and by comparison, the almost 100.00it costs for two adults and a child plus drinks candy and pop to see a movie at the theatre is also worth it.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

>snip<

CU?

Camelot Unchained

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

...now let the hate and flaming begin! 

But in all serousness I am stoked for landmark, I played and enjoyed minecraft for years (what was it, $11.00?) either way got way more then my monies worth out of it. And Landmark really looks like Minecraft 15.0

As I see it, Landmark is almost a open beta for EQ:N, alot of people complain that games are rushed etc etc.. but with SOE's new model, they are going to get to test:

Server hardware

building mechanisms 

game engines

combat ideas and mechanics 

etc.. 

And yes I do find it really funny that when EQ was announced less then a year ago, alot of people on the forums where "its not even built yet, its not going to happen" and boom, less thena  year later I will be playing a working version of it.

Anyways, I am stoked! and really happy to see a company trying something new.

I think playing Landmark is going to be more like playing Minecraft on peaceful mode.  I really doubt it's going to be a survival game although it would be a really good idea if SOE released some survival continents that players could pick where the NPC mobs roamed and attacked on sight.

I'm looking forward to trying Landmark but I don't expect my goals in game are going to be the same as Minecraft.

Originally posted by Ghabbo

>snip<

CU?

Camelot Unchained

Gotcha, I honestly love crowd sourcing stuff (even though EQ:L isn't really crowd sourcing)

Either way, I currently have Planetary annihilation (spelling? :S) funded also, Really looking forward to that game :D

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I remain skeptical myself; however, I can't judge you for spending your money however you see fit.

Let us know how it goes (NDA non-withstanding and whatnot), curious minds need to know.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Bah...

I caved in and got myself an Explorer Pack. I am bored, and I really want to see it. I am still heavily unconvinced, though.

This better be good.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

I like the idea that the OP believes in charity and giving away his money.  But I would argue there are more deserving people in need who could actually use this money than SOE.

SOE has quite a long history of deception and lies beginning with EQ1, SWg, and all the way to Vanguard.  I don't think its wise to give them money blindly especially when all your getting is an empty world with no combat.  In theory I like the idea of Landmark.  But it just smells of an SOE money grab scam.  Where SOE puts no money into development, promises everything in the world, then wants people to pay to help develop and build their next game EQN.

There is a reason they are charging people $100 to play tier beta and its likely because the game is not good enough to get people to pay for it once they play it.  Any MMO developer will tell you that if you have a good game let as many people play it as possible in beta.  If you have a bad game you charge them to play it and hide as much as possible. Hence what we have in EQL.  The marketing for EQL should be "a sucker is born every minute."

Originally posted by Zapzap

I like the idea that the OP believes in charity and giving away his money.  But I would argue there are more deserving people in need who could actually use this money than SOE.

SOE has quite a long history of deception and lies beginning with EQ1, SWg, and all the way to Vanguard.  I don't think its wise to give them money blindly especially when all your getting is an empty world with no combat.  In theory I like the idea of Landmark.  But it just smells of an SOE money grab scam.  Where SOE puts no money into development, promises everything in the world, then wants people to pay to help develop and build their next game EQN.

There is a reason they are charging people $100 to play tier beta and its likely because the game is not good enough to get people to pay for it once they play it.  Any MMO developer will tell you that if you have a good game let as many people play it as possible in beta.  If you have a bad game you charge them to play it and hide as much as possible. Hence what we have in EQL.  The marketing for EQL should be "a sucker is born every minute."

Eh? What was wrong with EQ1?

And Vanguard wasn't even developed by SOE!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452
    I never played minecraft so I'm not sure what to expect out of Landmark. I'll try it out once it's out but I won't be preordering anything.
  • ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Elikal

You probably forget some of the things SOE did with EQ1 expansions and the lies they told.  Later on devs admitted SOE purposely bugged areas of expansions so players could not get past it to bottleneck players so they could finish the rest of the expansion that was not done but they claimed was done.  Don't forget in SWG where they lied over and over to guilds telling them the Jedi quest was in game and players should look for it which players did only to later find out it was all a lie.  In regards to vanguard they took the game over and never developed it.  They just used it to market EQ2.  They took a lot of the devs moved them to EQ2 and fired the rest.  The game went over a year with not one full time dev working on the game.  Sigil produced more content in the 1st 2 months than SOE did in their first 2 years.  All SOE did was finish up already started projects and then get rid of the rest of the dev team.

The point here is SOE has a long history of lying and deceiving its customers.  I am sure that will never stop.  EQL wil llikely just be another chapter in how SOE can lie and rob its customer base then have them come running back to give them more money.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

I just love to build things.  And I hope this will give me the tools to build to my hearts content.  As a good example, NWN had a decent but short single player game, and a super bugged multi-player game, but I played for quite a long time just building dungeon's.  It was a blast.

I hope to get that creative feeling back again.  And watch out, that inconspicuous old hut off in the distance might just lead to the most fantastic labyrinth you have ever entered.

Just can't wait to start building...

Nanulak

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

I also went for the EQ Landmark Trailblazer pack. I like the direction Sony's going with EQ Landmark and EQ Next because I'm tired of the old MMO format. Landmark works for me since I'm a big fan of crafting in games.

For the last several months, I've been taking an extended break from MMOs. Till EQ Landmark and EQ Next release, I'll play standalone games like Skyrim, plus perhaps I'll give Wildstar a go (jury's still out).

You probably forget some of the things SOE did with EQ1 expansions and the lies they told.  Later on devs admitted SOE purposely bugged areas of expansions so players could not get past it to bottleneck players so they could finish the rest of the expansion that was not done but they claimed was done.  Don't forget in SWG where they lied over and over to guilds telling them the Jedi quest was in game and players should look for it which players did only to later find out it was all a lie.  In regards to vanguard they took the game over and never developed it.  They just used it to market EQ2.  They took a lot of the devs moved them to EQ2 and fired the rest.  The game went over a year with not one full time dev working on the game.  Sigil produced more content in the 1st 2 months than SOE did in their first 2 years.  All SOE did was finish up already started projects and then get rid of the rest of the dev team.

The point here is SOE has a long history of lying and deceiving its customers.  I am sure that will never stop.  EQL wil llikely just be another chapter in how SOE can lie and rob its customer base then have them come running back to give them more money.

God, seriously, EQ1... that was 15 years ago!

I know SOE made some bad stuff, I was cross with them over SWG. But that too was years ago. *shrug* If you boycott all companies who made bad stuff with games, you won't be able to buy ANY game. ;)

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

God, seriously, EQ1... that was 15 years ago!

I know SOE made some bad stuff, I was cross with them over SWG. But that too was years ago. *shrug* If you boycott all companies who made bad stuff with games, you won't be able to buy ANY game. ;)

Lolz pretty much agree. Most companies do rotten things from time to time; it's pretty hard to find anyone who hasn't. I think EQ Landmark and EQ Next have great potential, so I'm cool with trying them.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Different dev team

Different decade

The 20, 60 or 100 dollar packs are for a game that already has a created world with features already working. The activities in Landmark at first will be to explore, gather and build. From the livestream and other videos this is already in place.