Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Beta Preview Dates & More

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We have received word from The Repopulation team that they are ready to announce the next beta date and to release a bit more information about the Steam Greenlight campaign.

Happy holidays everyone. We have a few quick announcements to make that I am sure everyone will be interested in hearing about.

• Closed Alpha Round 3 now has a set date and it is March 2014. All Closed Beta Round 1 (before it was labeled Guaranteed Beta) backers will be getting a preview weekend during Closed Alpha Round 3, Beta Preview backers will get 2 weekends, and Beta Preview + backers will be let in the first weekend and will have access from that point onward. A few lucky people will get in before that as we will be letting another batch or two in before Round 3 starts.

• All Kickstarter backers as a small token of our appreciation will be granted Closed Beta Round 1 access. This mostly impacts everyone below the $50 pledge level during Kickstarter as everyone above it had Closed Beta Round 1 or better. This is only for Kickstarter backers, you will still need Closed Beta Round 1 access to quality in the post Kickstarter backer rounds.

• We are in the process of launching a new Kickstarter campaign that we expect to start during the week of Christmas.  We have many cool features we are going to be looking at adding as part of stretch goals and those who are looking to back us or bump up existing pledges will be able to very soon.  You should see the new video and a lot of new information and videos coming out during the Campaign, so for those who like a bunch of constant updates and features, you will be getting a lot.

• In parallel with Kickstarter we will be launching a Steam Greenlight campaign. It is an excellent opportunity to support the game and help us draw a wider audience by getting involved and helping to get The Repopulation greenlit.

We want to thank everyone for a great 2013. It has been a productive year and we are looking forward to 2014 and what it will bring.

Source: The Repopulation site

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I'm very excited for this game! As a fan of sandbox and non-fantasy genres, this game has the potential to finally be my virtual world of choice since the death of SWG.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I hope your right vayman
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Real housing world housing for mmorpg players and instance housing for single player game players, brilliant.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • moonrunnermoonrunner Member Posts: 21

Someone needs to update the " Status:Development  (est.rel Q4 2013)" to " Status:Development (est.rel sometime in Q4 2014 Maybe". Really, alpha round 3 in march? then closed beta so open beta not  likely til late 2014 and more kickstart streaches and I don't see it's release till 2015.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by moonrunner

then closed beta so open beta not  likely til late 2014 and more kickstart streaches and I don't see it's release till 2015.

The stretch goals are intended to bring on additional staff as to not interfere with the games release schedule. The funds for each stretch goal will be used to bring on additional staff, some of that will be exclusively for those features, and the rest will be going towards the content development team. So the stretch goals should do the exact opposite of this. The bottleneck for the Repop is adding enough content to a very large world.

As far as beta dates. Beta previews are starting in March. In a nutshell those are backer openings during the last phase of alpha testing. They will be used to stress test the servers. Each week the number of players will be boosted significantly. This will be a short phase of testing before moving into closed beta. There is no firm launch date, and never has been. Once beta has begun the players will be a part of the input process as to when the game is ready. When players and the staff feel that the game is good to launch, it will launch.

You do not want to rush an MMO to market, it's completely counter-productive in an MMO. Too many promising titles have been down this road in the past, and the results speak for themselves.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Basically I hope all the kickstarter backers get their money's worth because I don't think this game will ever be that popular.  Their pvp design leaves a lot to be desired and you have to wonder how a small shop is going to control the cheaters.  It is unfortunate that games have to police their playerbase, but many of these console gamers have entered the MMO genre who are used to entering cheat codes for their console games, think nothing of using cheat programs on MMO's.

Pretty much makes indie MMO's a work of art to be viewed from afar.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

One of the only MMOs I am looking foreard to next year.. backed it earleir in the month.

To the poster above MMOs are generally hard to hack/cheat on because msot things are done server side so they would need to figure out a way to manipulate the server code.. of course I am not saying its impossible but wont be easy for people.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

The Repopulation will be a niche game, but it will have a loyal following.

Much like EvE it will start with a small dedicated core group that will slowly, but steadily increase over time.

Looking forward to everything coming in 2014.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I'm really excited about this game but my heart sank when I saw the next test phase was still an alpha and it was in MARCH. I understand the "it's ready when it's ready" but man I wish it were ready!
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    It's pretty safe to say if this game offers the RPG possibilities of SWG and UO it will be on my hard drive for a long, long time.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I like everything this game has to offer save one. If there is a player driven economy, (And it should be if it's a true sandbox) I cannot see how this game won't be a straight up P2W. At an absolute minimum, the economy will be driven by the cash shop and thus the publisher.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I like everything this game has to offer save one. If there is a player driven economy, (And it should be if it's a true sandbox) I cannot see how this game won't be a straight up P2W. At an absolute minimum, the economy will be driven by the cash shop and thus the publisher.

From what I've seen so far, it seems like having a tight guild/community will be a much bigger advantage than any amount of money you spend. What did you read that led you to feel it would be straight up P2W?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Caldrin

One of the only MMOs I am looking foreard to next year.. backed it earleir in the month.

To the poster above MMOs are generally hard to hack/cheat on because msot things are done server side so they would need to figure out a way to manipulate the server code.. of course I am not saying its impossible but wont be easy for people.

I could offer a lot of examples, but you are pretty naive to think that cheat programs have hack the server.  Speed programs pretty much work on any MMO.   There are a lot of hack programs out there that are easy to modify for about any MMO.  PVE games generally have less to gain with hacks, but pvp games are a big draw.  Sure they will catch some, but the smart ones won't get caught.  

Since the game does not have collision detection, pvp will be lame to begin with and cheaters can really take advantage of not having collision detection.  Since the game is full loot it will be a bad experience when you meet one.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I could offer a lot of examples, but you are pretty naive to think that cheat programs have hack the server.  Speed programs pretty much work on any MMO.   There are a lot of hack programs out there that are easy to modify for about any MMO.  PVE games generally have less to gain with hacks, but pvp games are a big draw.  Sure they will catch some, but the smart ones won't get caught.  

Since the game does not have collision detection, pvp will be lame to begin with and cheaters can really take advantage of not having collision detection.  Since the game is full loot it will be a bad experience when you meet one.

Collision detection is only important if there are points to capture (IE WAR), even then it's not exactly needed as CD with 100's of players around is quite annoying.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Im so done kickstarting shit. Ive kickstarted 5 games that wont release until after 2014.
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

PTW even before release?

If this follows in the footsteps of other kickstarter style "sandbox" games with special access for backers with no wipes near release then....................

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Looks more promising all the time. I have no doubt they will reach their kickstarter goal but they would be much better off with closer 250k so they can kick the development into high gear. "When it's ready" sounds good but the sooner the better. image
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

From what I've seen so far, it seems like having a tight guild/community will be a much bigger advantage than any amount of money you spend. What did you read that led you to feel it would be straight up P2W?

Read? Why? You don't really have to stretch it that far.

In any game where personal gear determines power, being able to buy such gear is considered P2W.

But what about in a game where the economy is the power? Controlling markets and resources? Having access to a source of credits that others don't, especially in the 1st days after launch, will create a dominance that will be hard to shake. 

And in these cases, it's more than likely, the same players who used real money to get a jump start in the game will also be the ones running the powerful guilds.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

In any game where personal gear determines power, being able to buy such gear is considered P2W.

But what about in a game where the economy is the power? Controlling markets and resources? Having access to a source of credits that others don't, especially in the 1st days after launch, will create a dominance that will be hard to shake. 

And in these cases, it's more than likely, the same players who used real money to get a jump start in the game will also be the ones running the powerful guilds.

Really? Buy more powerful gear or buying resources? Where have you read that?

Please don't assume that F2P = P2W. F2P games are trying to break free from that trope.

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Collision detection is only important if there are points to capture (IE WAR), even then it's not exactly needed as CD with 100's of players around is quite annoying.

Huh, when you don't have collision detection, the opposing player can run right through you.  You can't hold a line or anything.  Granted there are guns in this game so a lot of action will be from range, but any melee action in a pvp game is just ridiculous without collision detection.

So go play this game and then tell me how collision detection is not that important when it comes to pvp.

The absent collision detection is secondary to the cheating problem anyways.  With full loot it will be hard for many to not indulge in a couple mods.

BTW there is no rule that says a sandbox has to have full loot pvp.  SWG did not have it and it was the classic sandbox.  These developers are making a big mistake with this design.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Just a quick note. You will not be able to buy real equipment or resources as someone had suggested earlier in this thread. The equipment you can purchase will be shells, which are purely cosmetic.  Stats wise they are the same as what you can start the game with at character creation. The stats in Repop come from fittings which will not be for sale.
  • LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    I have been waiting for another kick starter campaign so I can become a backer! 
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Really? Buy more powerful gear or buying resources? Where have you read that?

Please don't assume that F2P = P2W. F2P games are trying to break free from that trope.

The only thing I read was "Cash Shop" Now, if absolutely nothing at all from the shop can be  traded or sold to another player, or if there is no way by using the cash shop that I can move my personal finances into the game to generate game credits, then maybe, I'll hold off on the P2W thing. Otherwise, it's not about what I read, but what I can see happening. But in a game that is supposed to have a player driven economy, buying resources will create an advantage.

But, if this is a game with the golden rule (Whoever has the most gold...rules) and if I can get said "gold" using my credit card....then you tell me how it's NOT P2W.

And yes, there are a lot of "IF"s in my theory, so, we shall see.