Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

War Thunder: Ground Forces Second Wave Enters Closed Beta

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gaijin Entertainment has announced that a second wave of beta invites has been sent out for the Ground Forces expansion to War Thunder. In addition, the team has detailed a Collector's Edition for the upcoming title and released some details about an upcoming January event.

For everyone interested in Ground Forces development, Gaijin Entertainment published a series of Closed Beta diaries (read parts one, two and three about damage model and customization system), and also organized live-stream event with developers. 

As a part of “Winter Magic” festivities, that will take place until January, 12th all players can complete special tasks and get one or both unique premium aircrafts: heavy Soviet bomber TB-3 and Grumman XF5F! Also, completing all tasks on 1-10th of January will grant an extra-bonus – one week of Premium account for free!

Read more about the closed beta at any of the War Thunder links above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

After far too many battles in wot and war thunder I'm pretty done with this type of game, but I am really interested in seeing how they manage the integration of tanks and planes. They've done such a good job of the planes so far but I really can't see how they're going to make the two work and still be fun. Tanks was bad enough with arty, but to have a plane swoop in armed with rockets and 1000 lbs bombs seems much much worse.

It's feels a bit like watching a child trying to do something thinking they're going to fail but hoping they don't.

• MirslpMirslp Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I feel the exact opposite.

The planes and tanks games were too one sided and adding this dimension will be good in my book. Again it depends on implementation. Flak guns better play a key role :-)
  • LogsdonbLogsdonb Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Planetside has planes, tanks, flak, and infantry and epic battles.  The gameplay itself in PS is fun, but the meta game and campaign elements are very weak.
  • MirslpMirslp Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Yeh I follow you on that one m8. Unless you are in a solid group there's not much going right in PS.

What I would love to see is an updated and slightly changed WW2 online. If anyone knows a game or a mod then give me a shout... I am lacking a ww2 game with brains involved :-)
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Looknig forward to this... I do like War Thunder and would love to see what they can do with ground forces.

The videos I have seen so far look good..

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Mirslp
    Yeh I follow you on that one m8. Unless you are in a solid group there's not much going right in PS.

What I would love to see is an updated and slightly changed WW2 online. If anyone knows a game or a mod then give me a shout... I am lacking a ww2 game with brains involved :-)

I think this would fit the bill:

http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/13/en/index.html

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

I can't get the "regular" version of War thunder to even work... Always says that the server is under maintenance....

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Gaijin did an hour-long live stream of tank beta play on the 26th of December, and it was quite interesting. The planes didn't feature much in the footage, but they were there. There's also mobile AAA guns (flak panzer) which double as artillery spotters.

On the tank maps it seems the artillery batteries are NPC controlled, so the players call in strikes aimed at general areas (no pinpoint accuracy). The arty batteries will be difficult to reach with a tank, but you are mainly supposed to hit them from the air. Bomb all the opposing team's arty guns and they can't call in any more strikes !

It also seemed like tanks would be relatively difficult to spot from the air (possibly not even showing on the minimap as red dots if you're in an aircraft ?). The map shown in the demo had lots of trees, rocks and foliage, so spotting a tank from the air would require some concentration, which would leave the pilot wide open to attack from other planes. And if you're the guy lumbering about with a load of bombs/rockets slowing you down while you're staring intently at the ground, chances are your life-expectancy will be somewhat shortened...

You enter the battle with your equipment configuration pre-selected. So if you chose to equip only 2 out of 3 planes with bombs/rockets, that's all you'll have to use for hitting tanks in that match. Get them shot down and all you'll be able to do in the air after that is hunt other planes. I suspect that "ram-rage" is going to be a big feature of air battles in the tank/air mixed fights. :D

Sadly, another "big feature" of the tank/air battles will probably be radar-hacks... :(