Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the deal with the endless barage of Wildstar articles on the homepage?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
Seriously this has been going on for at least 2-3 weeks now.  It seems every few articles is another Wildstar article and at times 2, 3 or even 4 in a row.  There are a bunch of mmo's coming out in 2014 and this one seems to have 4 to 5 times the coverage of all others.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's one of the most popular titles coming down the pipe. This is an mmo site...and news about the next big mmo would be something mmo fans would want to read about. They come here and read about it and the site gets hits. Hits attract advertising $$$ which pays for the site and they all get to keep their jobs...

It's not really the type of math you need to take your shoes off for.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Because it's a good game worthy of recognition, if you feel another game deserves it more clearly the sentiment isn't shared.
  • wykydwykyd Member UncommonPosts: 43

The question is a fair one imho ...

Wildstar does seem to get a disproportionate amount of coverage here.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Mange1
    Because it's a good game worthy of recognition, if you feel another game deserves it more clearly the sentiment isn't shared.

You're right.... it clearly does deserve 5 times the coverage.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Seriously this has been going on for at least 2-3 weeks now.  It seems every few articles is another Wildstar article and at times 2, 3 or even 4 in a row.  There are a bunch of mmo's coming out in 2014 and this one seems to have 4 to 5 times the coverage of all others.

It's a FOTM MMO, also the Wildstar devs are just throwing out a whole heap of info out there for the gamer base to digest.

I see nothing wrong with a barrage of new info on any upcomming MMO, this site has done it for many other games.

I would also think that if other upcomming MMO's where pushing out just as much new info as Wildstar/EQ landmark then we would see it on this site, I keep up to date with a lot of new MMO's and tbh even thier home websites are devoid of updates, other than Wildstar/EQ Landmark which just seem to be going full steam ahead on new info.

So if you want to point any accusing fingers at why other MMO's are not getting so much coverage, well I suggest going to the source of your favourite MMO's and telling them to get the advertising bandwagon out and start shouting about their own titles, rather than expect a gaming website to make things up out of thin air. You can only post news when it's out there to post.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I am curious what kind of thought proving response will please mister OP.

Right now I can only guess that this site is doing it purely out of spite at the OP. It feeds off your anger and hatred... Also I think a steady diet of your retorts to others help keep the site regular. Never want to see a constipated website. That's she the Bieber and Kardashian articles come out, because we all know they are full of $@!t. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If you don't really want a response, then it would be good to avoid posting your subject line in the form of a question. You asked a question, they answered it - rather reasonable, I might add. 

Every time a game gets popular,

there's someone that flips out about how there's "too much" coverage of it. 

This month, you're him. 

Congrats.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Perhaps the other games haven't granted the level of access that Wildstar has?  

NDA's lifted?  Press passes and beta invites going out and the like. 

Maybe the other gaming companies haven't provided the same amount of information for their games?

I'm not trying to come across as 'snarky' either.  

Maybe ask MMORPG.com to provide more coverage via suggestions/requests?  To be honest, it does sound like you're pretty angry and seeking confrontation at this point.  

Was it a rhetorical question?  An attempt to troll?  

While I do agree that Wildstar is getting a lot of coverage, I recall the same amount of coverage for Aion, Rift, Age of Conan, etc.,... 

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Maybe the other gaming companies haven't provided the same amount of information for their games?

Maybe ask MMORPG.com to provide more coverage via suggestions/requests?  To be honest, it does sound like you're pretty angry and seeking confrontation at this point.  

While I do agree that Wildstar is getting a lot of coverage, I recall the same amount of coverage for Aion, Rift, Age of Conan, etc.,... 

See that's the thing, your last statement there.  I agree other games have gotten similar coverage close to release, but what is interesting to me is that Wildstar is in the same boat as Elder Scrolls Online and EverquestNext: Landmark as big AAA titles releasing supposedly in spring 2014, but has been getting way way WAY more coverage and articles done on it than those 2 games.

[mod edit]

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by DamonVile

It's one of the most popular titles coming down the pipe. This is an mmo site...and news about the next big mmo would be something mmo fans would want to read about. They come here and read about it and the site gets hits. Hits attract advertising $$$ which pays for the site and they all get to keep their jobs...

[mod edit]

Wildstar is the one we don't think will fail. That's why we're looking at it more closely. It resembles vanilla WoW which never had a chance to fail because it got edited into modern WoW while on the rise...

There's a few million ex-WoW players that are hoping for a rebirth of traditional WoW under another name. The other MMOs are not that popular.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

It is no secret that everyone has their own taste, but if you've been updated on the MMORPG market the last 6 months you'll have an indicator of which MMORPGs are in the spotlight. By looking at the incoming products, WildStar shows great potential towards a larger userbase, look what it has to offer and the fact that it is comming out "sooner" than the other "worthy" oponents. 

If you dont like wildstar then best of luck to you as in my humble opinion there isnt anything close to it atm. 

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Oh wow such simple logic - can't believe I didn't get it.  Totally makes sense that it gets 5 times the coverage since it's the only popular title coming down the pipeline doesn't it?  Bet you thought you were being cool and witty with your response though right?

You ASKED for feedback and - gasp - you got it.  The way you ask implied you  were clueless and you got an answer tailored for a clueless person. 

Do you have anything useful to say about why there are no other games getting so much attention or are you just wanting to vent your "angry teenager" spleen against the world? **

**That's a rhetorical question by the way because, like you, I already knew the answer before I typed it. No need for a reply because I too already know the answer

No, I asked why Wildstar is getting 5 times the coverage compared to every other mmo on the site and I was met with an insulting response, similar to yours, basically saying "duh it's a popular upcoming mmo" which doesn't address at all the point of the question - which again was why is it getting 5 times the coverage when there are quite a few other games in the same boat as it (popular upcoming mmo in early 2014).  I'm assuming this is because most didn't read what I actually put and just decided to pounce on the topic title alone.

Originally posted by Nacario
    Originally posted by Robokapp

Oh wow such simple logic - can't believe I didn't get it.  Totally makes sense that it gets 5 times the coverage since it's the only popular title coming down the pipeline doesn't it?  Bet you thought you were being cool and witty with your response though right?

Wildstar is the one we don't think will fail. That's why we're looking at it more closely. It resembles vanilla WoW which never had a chance to fail because it got edited into modern WoW while on the rise...

There's a few million ex-WoW players that are hoping for a rebirth of traditional WoW under another name. The other MMOs are not that popular.

Oh dang dude didn't realize you were the voice of MMORPG..... guess now I know at least.  Interesting that Wildstar is the most popular upcoming mmo too since both EQNext Landmark and Star Citizen are ranked more popular.  But.... based on your post I kind of get the idea that you think your opinions are shared by all and are the correct ones so why argue right?  :)

And somehow you think you represent the voice of MMORPG? The only witty guy here is you.

It is no secret that everyone has their own taste, but if you've been updated on the MMORPG market the last 6 months you'll have an indicator of which MMORPGs are in the spotlight. By looking at the incoming products, WildStar shows great potential towards a larger userbase, look what it has to offer and the fact that it is comming out "sooner" than the other "worthy" oponents. 

If you dont like wildstar then best of luck to you as in my humble opinion there isnt anything close to it atm. 

Wildstar is coming out sooner than Everquest Next Landmark and Elder Scrolls Online?  Didn't know that, would explain the extra coverage over those games wouldn't it?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Last thing - yes I've been confrontational in this post a bit, which I take responsibility for and don't think it was the best approach.  Granted, when you feel attacked right off the bat from others it's challenging to not get defensive, but I'm thankful there have been some well thought out posts since then.

Well you're first post totally came off as the spoiled brat post demanding explanations for why the site wasn't doing what you thought it should be. Your responses to the follow up posts didn't do much to change that impression.

If you were actually being serious and just chose poor wording I apologize for my responses to it. ..so on topic...

I think why we see so much does have more to do with wild star than the site. They are very forthcoming when it comes to news and building the hype. Remember swtor when it was in development ? every stupid little thing they could think of was spun as "news" and mmo sites couldn't wait to report about it. Same thing seems to be happening with wildstar as they get closer to launch.

I just hope they don't keep following in TORs footsteps right off the same cliff.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

See that's the thing, your last statement there.  I agree other games have gotten similar coverage close to release, but what is interesting to me is that Wildstar is in the same boat as Elder Scrolls Online and EverquestNext: Landmark as big AAA titles releasing supposedly in spring 2014, but has been getting way way WAY more coverage and articles done on it than those 2 games.

[mod edit]

Fair enough.

And I do understand your perspective.  

Did SOE just have an event recently?  Their annual press/fan summit or get together?  I'd be shocked if we didn't hear something about EQ Next from that.

Again, I think that the folks here at MMORPG.COM are open to requests and even criticism.  If you have a game that you feel needs more coverage, then definitely let them know.  

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Could it be possible that the other 2 haven't revealed anything noteworthy in months? And thus Wildstar is getting coverage? You can always think a bit and stop arguing just for the sake of arguing.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion

Could it be possible that the other 2 haven't revealed anything noteworthy in months? And thus Wildstar is getting coverage? You can always think a bit and stop arguing just for the sake of arguing.

You quoted me.... and cut out the part where I specifically say EXACTLY what you are saying, and then insult me and say I should think more instead of just arguing?  HUH??

"See that's the thing, your last statement there.  I agree other games have gotten similar coverage close to release, but what is interesting to me is that Wildstar is in the same boat as Elder Scrolls Online and EverquestNext: Landmark as big AAA titles releasing supposedly in spring 2014, but has been getting way way WAY more coverage and articles done on it than those 2 games.

Looking at the responses where people did answer without an attempt to attack / be cynical of my question in some manner, I would agree with a few of you.  I think it probably is some of what you're saying with the access, another poster rensta said "Its because wildstar wants more coverage so they pay mmorg. com more and this is the result."  And another, AwDiddums, mentioned the other game companies just not releasing as much info, which is probably it too.  So a mix I'm sure.

Last thing - yes I've been confrontational in this post a bit, which I take responsibility for and don't think it was the best approach.  Granted, when you feel attacked right off the bat from others it's challenging to not get defensive, but I'm thankful there have been some well thought out posts since then."

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Ok i´l take a stab at this

WildStar: Are in PR mode and release info on a regular basis, have a very active beta programme.

Everquest Next Landmark: Not much info released and they are in a different phase of marketing then Wildstar. Also a very limited beta as of this time.

Elder Scrolls Online: Same situation as EQ:L. More about building buzz then laying everything on the table.

StarCitizen: Is still in pre-aplha... I am sure it will get all the rave once there is actually a game to play.

And that is why in my mind Wildstar get more press at the moment. But it might also be as simple as the people who run this site happen to like WildStar... This is after all a private website and they can write as much as they want about what ever game they want. All we can do is to read it or not.

This have been a good conversation

Last thing - yes I've been confrontational in this post a bit, which I take responsibility for and don't think it was the best approach.  Granted, when you feel attacked right off the bat from others it's challenging to not get defensive, but I'm thankful there have been some well thought out posts since then.

Well you're first post totally came off as the spoiled brat post demanding explanations for why the site wasn't doing what you thought it should be. Your responses to the follow up posts didn't do much to change that impression.

If you were actually being serious and just chose poor wording I apologize for my responses to it. ..so on topic...

I think why we see so much does have more to do with wild star than the site. They are very forthcoming when it comes to news and building the hype. Remember swtor when it was in development ? every stupid little thing they could think of was spun as "news" and mmo sites couldn't wait to report about it. Same thing seems to be happening with wildstar as they get closer to launch.

I just hope they don't keep following in TORs footsteps right off the same cliff.

I agree with your main point about the news and as a couple others have said, most likely due to EQ and ESO just not releasing much info lately.  Now that you reminded me I do remember the ridiculous amount of SWTOR articles too.  I think the difference to me was that SWTOR was the only thing coming at that time and based on such a huge IP, so it made more sense to me seeing such a focus.  With Wildstar it's just one of a few AAA mmo's coming out in early 2014, and actually has a more amorphous release date than the other 2 as of yet.  Also it's new IP.

Again though, I think it does come down to what you and others have hit on, the basic lack of news from other developers and Wildstar marketing team in hyper drive.     I also think Wildstar is releasing and re-releasing a lot of info that could be combined into a lot less articles, but are doing it purposefully as separate news bites to accomplish exactly what they are accomplishing here, tons of small bites of info and the marketing barage.  An example; each individual class having a "sneak peek" article, then shortly after a "reveal" article, then an "in depth look at this class" article.  It's smart on their part to be sure.  Personally, I find it a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure they are garnering the attention they want which is the goal and way more important than whether I'm annoyed by it or not.  lol

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

mmorpg is betta testing it right now

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159

Wildstar is shaping up to be what WoW used to be, but souped up even more with slicker graphics and a few added features sprinkled into it. I think people are genuinely excited for Wildstar as well as the people managing this site.

It doesn't hurt that the W* devs are paying more for advertising.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    I post when I have been drinking as well. When you wake up tomorrow ( With the ban for trolling ) you will kick yourself for soundling like you do. 
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

You get information about the game and you make article about it. Wildstar developers are pumping in tons of information about their game now, while other companies decided to keep it low, until they have something decent to show. What is so hard to understand in that pattern? It is not 90', where reviewers need to be detectives, companies balance the flow of information now.

In other words, to make it even more simple for people who still don't get it. Most of articles are about Wildstar, because there is nothing to write about other games now. If you are one of the consipracy theorists, there are forums specially for people like you, go and plot your theories there.

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Even if the thread had a certain tone to the title and OP, it's your choice how you respond. Do you stay civil / take the high-road or...?
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

It's like wow but without the lore (not that wow lore was so great or original but at least it already established thanks to warcraft games ), great music or most important - timing. No point trying to speculate the reasons why mmorpg staff is hyping the title so much, after all it was the same with swtor and other games which ended far from the pre release hype. Lot of ex wow raiders are probably hoping wildstar will bring back their glory days of farming molten core while conveniently forgetting that raiding was one of the less popular parts of vanilla wow.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Due to the way this thread has gone, and OP's abrasive comments, as well as responses by others, just locking it and letting it be.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.