Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD suggestions

Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,237

Well it's that time of year and my B-day is coming up in a couple weeks or so and so I am getting a SSD for the PC  in my sig below.  I would like some suggestions of what to get.

I do not need more than 256gb, I will will keep the 500gb HDD for main storage of videos, pics and the like.

I want to be able to run the OS and maybe a couple games with no worries of running out of space.

I want quality and reliability, I do not want some thing that will crap out in two months.  What I recall from my very limited knowledge of SSD I believe there are some with controllers you want to avoid but I can't recall which ones.

I have around a 300$ budget.

I might get more ram too,  probably 2x4g sticks. Installing these is rather annoying because they kind of sit under my Noctua NH-D14 cpu heatsink :/

Also any links to good guides for installing them, tweaks etc. Are there things that need to be turned off or on ( for example virtual memory etc, hibernation).

 

I will be using http://www.newegg.ca/ please note the  .CA

 

thanks!

 

 

 

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.





Comments

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,118

    From New Egg Canada, I'd go with this:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694

    But New Egg is an American company, so they charge extra to send anything to Canada.  So you should be aware that you can get exactly the same thing cheaper elsewhere:

    http://products.ncix.com/detail/crucial-m500-ct240m500ssd1-2-5in-240gb-sata-6bps-7mm-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-91-81655-1051.htm

    Or even something that is arguably a little better yet for a little cheaper:

    http://products.ncix.com/detail/seagate-600-ssd-st240hm000-2-5in-240gb-sata3-internal-solid-state-drive-6d-87693-1051.htm

    The bad SSD controllers are mostly off the market today.  I'd be wary of buying anything with a JMicron or Phison controller, but those are hard to find anymore.

    On memory, how much do you already have?  And, for that matter, what else does your system have?  If you already have 8 GB of system memory, then I see no need to upgrade unless you've got unusual needs or a much larger budget than you're letting on.

  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,237
    Originally posted by Quizzical

    From New Egg Canada, I'd go with this:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694

    But New Egg is an American company, so they charge extra to send anything to Canada.  So you should be aware that you can get exactly the same thing cheaper elsewhere:

    http://products.ncix.com/detail/crucial-m500-ct240m500ssd1-2-5in-240gb-sata-6bps-7mm-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-91-81655-1051.htm

    Or even something that is arguably a little better yet for a little cheaper:

    http://products.ncix.com/detail/seagate-600-ssd-st240hm000-2-5in-240gb-sata3-internal-solid-state-drive-6d-87693-1051.htm

    The bad SSD controllers are mostly off the market today.  I'd be wary of buying anything with a JMicron or Phison controller, but those are hard to find anymore.

    On memory, how much do you already have?  And, for that matter, what else does your system have?  If you already have 8 GB of system memory, then I see no need to upgrade unless you've got unusual needs or a much larger budget than you're letting on.

    For memory I have 2x2g right now and would like to up that to 8 but I can't say it really a pressing or burning desire tbh I don't really feel like taking off/reseating the noctua heatsink just to switch sticks to go up to 8g of ram, I may however add it to my wife pc as she only has 4g of ram too and it easy to access.

     

    Mostly for my pc I want to SSD upgrade. I looked at some of the samsung SSD but wasn't sure if they are worth the price.

     

    I have noticed some of the SSD are 240gb and some are 256gb, what is that about? 

    Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.





  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,118

    If it's all DDR3, you could upgrade both computers from 4 GB to 8 GB at once by buying two 4 GB modules, adding them to one computer, and moving the memory that was in that computer over to the other.

    While many SSDs have 256 GB of physical NAND flash, some reserve more as spare area than others.  Some have 256 billion bytes (about 238 GB, but marketed as 256) of user-accessible space, while others reserve more as spare area to have 240 billion bytes as user-accessible.

  • intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Get a Samsung 840 EVO 250gb and call it a day. I just got one and it's life changing. Fifteen seconds from cold start to boot and life will never be the same.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Is it me or is ssd overated compared to all the options we have now?
  • intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Is it me or is ssd overated compared to all the options we have now?

    Options like what? The only other options that are comparable in speed to an SSD is that one dual drive from Western Digital which is basically a normal hard drive with a small SSD it uses as a cache or using a small SSD and normal HDD and use Intel Rapid Storage with the SSD as a cache. SSD prices are cheap enough that you can warrant a 250gb-500gb for moderate money and get a super cheap USB or internal HDD for data.

  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,526

    An SSD is the kind of thing you really want in your next new computer.

     

    It is NOT the kind of thing one generally upgrades to because while you save 20 seconds here and 3 seconds there, it takes SO LONG to break in a computer from scratch.  Getting back those two weeks 5 seconds at a time takes quite a while.

  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,237

    Thanks for the replies guys.  I am tempted to go with this here http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950DR2870&vpn=MZ-7PD256BW&manufacture=Others.

    Heh sumsang all sold out on newegg.ca today lol

     

    That crucial seems to have a much lower write speed but then the price is lower too.  I am kind of flip flopping between the two lol.

    Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.





  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Im sorry Asmodeus, but I still think there are better opttions that jumping into the ssd hype, check out the performance from a a mechanical helium hd for instance.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,118
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Im sorry Asmodeus, but I still think there are better opttions that jumping into the ssd hype, check out the performance from a a mechanical helium hd for instance.

    Today's SSDs aren't just faster than today's hard drives.  They're faster than the fastest hard drives that will ever be made--by more than an order of magnitude in some cases.  And that's even if you compare it to the super high end enterprise hard drives (15K RPM today, possibly higher in the future) that cost more than a lot of SSDs.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,118
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

    Thanks for the replies guys.  I am tempted to go with this here http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950DR2870&vpn=MZ-7PD256BW&manufacture=Others.

    Heh sumsang all sold out on newegg.ca today lol

     

    That crucial seems to have a much lower write speed but then the price is lower too.  I am kind of flip flopping between the two lol.

    While a Samsung 840 Pro is a nice SSD, that's way too much to pay for it.  Is a Samsung 840 Pro better than a Seagate 600 of the same capacity?  Probably a little, but not much.  Not by enough to justify a $10 price premium, let alone $100.

    The thing you need to understand about SSDs is that, among good SSDs, all that matters is price, capacity, and reliability.  Performance differences are a rounding error that you'd never be able to detect outside of synthetic benchmarks.  If you need 10 seconds of CPU time to load something, and this SSD can do its part in 4 seconds and that one can do it in 3, either way, you take 10 seconds because you're waiting on the CPU.  But that sure beats taking 30 seconds because you're waiting on a hard drive.

  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,237
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

    Thanks for the replies guys.  I am tempted to go with this here http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950DR2870&vpn=MZ-7PD256BW&manufacture=Others.

    Heh sumsang all sold out on newegg.ca today lol

     

    That crucial seems to have a much lower write speed but then the price is lower too.  I am kind of flip flopping between the two lol.

    While a Samsung 840 Pro is a nice SSD, that's way too much to pay for it.  Is a Samsung 840 Pro better than a Seagate 600 of the same capacity?  Probably a little, but not much.  Not by enough to justify a $10 price premium, let alone $100.

    The thing you need to understand about SSDs is that, among good SSDs, all that matters is price, capacity, and reliability.  Performance differences are a rounding error that you'd never be able to detect outside of synthetic benchmarks.  If you need 10 seconds of CPU time to load something, and this SSD can do its part in 4 seconds and that one can do it in 3, either way, you take 10 seconds because you're waiting on the CPU.  But that sure beats taking 30 seconds because you're waiting on a hard drive.

    Alright good to know, I thought the read/write specs had a bigger impact but If I won't see the difference in "real time" I also don't see myself paying more for it, it's not like I'm going to benchmark it for bragging rights lol.

    Think I will go with the http://products.ncix.com/detail/seagate-600-ssd-st240hm000-2-5in-240gb-sata3-internal-solid-state-drive-6d-87693-1051.htm then and save some money to spend elsewhere.

    Thanks for the advice!

    Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.





Sign In or Register to comment.