Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions on future upgrades

BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

It's been over 5 years that I've build this computer and so far I only upgraded the GPU but it's been a while so it might need an upgrade too but anyways when I get some money to spend (Not anytime soon) I'd like to upgrade it piece by piece depending on cost to improve it overall for future needs.

My current specs are:

Motherboard: Asus P5QD Turbo

GPU: Geforce GTX 460 SE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Core 2.66 GHz

RAM: 4 GB RAM 800 MHz - OCZ Reaper 

HD: 1 TB 

Power Supply: Corsair TX 650 W

------------

Atm what I'd like to improve most is the CPU and RAM but I'm open to any suggestions.

My budget is not big as I stated I will be upgrading slowly piece by piece when I have extras as I have a loan and stuff to pay so don't bother mentioning the best in the line of parts.

(Don't suggest SSD Hard drives I know they are great but I need the space plus they are expensive)

Thanks

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Keep in mind if you upgrade the cpu you will most likely have to upgrade the motherboard at the same time.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    How small of a budget are we talking?  You should probably be looking at replacing the processor, motherboard, and memory all at the same time--and should be aware that replacing the motherboard probably means that you need a new OS license, too.  But what you should get for the new components depends greatly on your budget and when you need it.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    A mb will be $100 to $150 an i5 will be 200 ish and memory will be 50 to 70 for 8gb, windows 8 will be $90, you should be able to use everything else you have including the gtx 460 which will be the next upgrade after everything else listed. /crossesfingers
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Like I said it's not something soon so I'll be able to save a little hoepfully but yea I thought the motherboard is weakish I would like some suggestions on some good affordable motherboard that I will then put the new parts on and maybe even support more when newer GPU's or CPU's get more affordable.

Well I don't know if I'd like windows 8 I'm using windows 7 atm don't think it would be a problem to reinstall it on the newer motherboard after working out the license key.

----

I could start with a motherboard and ram maybe we'll see. The cpu that I use works just as fine on current games I play so yea I guess the motherboard is the priority.

As for budget I don't know but I get around 300ish euro per 2 weeks and every month I get deducted 200 euro and 35 for internet and phone. 

That's why I wouldn't mind suggestions on what parts so I can look them up and see on how long would I be able to get them.

Thanks for the help.

[Edit]

Say this motherboard:

http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/gigabyte-z87-hd3-mobo-s1150-ddr3-sata3-atx-motherboard.html

Or

http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/asus-z87-k-z87-s1150-pcie3-ddr3-sata3-atx-motherboard-oem.html

I'm not that good on information but both support DDR3, 1 can support SLI/Crossfire but the other supports higher memory speed ram.

I don't think you understand.  The point of getting a new motherboard is so that you can plug a new processor into it, as it will require a different socket from the LGA 775 in your old motherboard.  You can't use your old processor in a sensible new motherboard, nor would you be able to use a sensible new processor in your old motherboard.

Any modern motherboard will use DDR3 memory, while your old one uses DDR2 unless you severely botched the choice of a CPU and motherboard last time.  (By the time DDR3 was available for socket LGA 775, Core 2 Quad was obsolete, as the Phenom II X4 was better for cheaper, while Intel's latest Core i7 was much faster for people willing to pay more.)  So you won't be able to use the old memory in the new motherboard, nor new memory in the old motherboard.

Furthermore, unless you have a full retail version of your OS license, it's tied to your motherboard.  A new motherboard means a different computer, and that means you need a different OS license.

Don't try to buy new components one at a time without being able to test them.  Wait until you have enough money to buy the CPU, motherboard, memory, and OS license all at once.  If a part is dead on arrival, you want to find out immediately so that you can easily return it for a replacement.  If you wait two months to test it and then find out it was dead when you got it, it's much more of a pain to get a replacement.

Hmm I got what you are trying to say after I posted but didn't bother replying so It's either all together or nothing.

As far as motherboard and ram I was looking around where I live those 2 are sort of in my price range unless there's something better for a little more.

Both of those motherboards use socket 1150 and from my rough estimation 8 GB ram DDR3 1600 MHz, a motherboard and an i5 3.4 GHz would be on 420 euro.

I could slowly slowly rack that up but I know you know quite a lot about computers so I'd gladly like suggestions on what motherboard to base the rest on.

Thanks

If it's going to take you quite a while to save up the money, then by the time you have, AMD's upcoming Kaveri chip will probably be out.  If you get that instead, you might save $100 or so, at the cost of giving up maybe 15% or 20% of the CPU performance.  But it will still be massively faster than what you have now.  What to get is really a question of your budget, and the Core i5-4670 (or 4670K if you want to be able to overclock) that you're looking at is still a better processor.
    Probably 2  to 4 months unless something drastic happens.