Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic: The Gathering MMORPG

After about 20 years of making cards, there is a vast library of concept art to draw upon for mobs and instance/raid bosses. 

I can easily think of at least 3-4 classes per color, and 2-3 races per color.  Implement an FFXI style subclass system so no matter what color you start as you can still aquire classes from other colors, level them up and use them. (this way no color would be at a disadvantage in pvp, because even if you start in red, your main class can be from the black tree, and so on) 

Also 5 way color based pvp would be awesome, for battlegrounds and open world pvp.

For pve, in addition to mobs dropping armor and weapons, they can also drop cards, which can be used by players to make decks and compete for additional awards in "duels of the planeswalker" style card duels.

I can see some potential pitfalls, but if implemented properly i think a game like this could be truly amazing, what do you think?

Comments

• StratagosStratagos Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I'd be down.  MTG is sweeeeet.  I think it could work.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Would cost a huge amount to make 5 way pvp, but if they pulled it off, could be very cool....Then you have your home land area is tied into your color. 
  • Arc_XArc_X Member UncommonPosts: 38

Just have the factions in the game be the guilds... your colors are the guilds colors.

hmmm... what would i choose...

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    The game OP is looking for is called Hex.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It exists: http://www.magicthegatheringtactics.com/

but it failed, SoE made it

just the card game online exists too:

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Ginaz

This image

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Yup, Hex is an upcoming MMO/TCG and looks like it's gonna be pretty awesome. http://hextcg.com/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is an amazing asset but nothing great will ever come of it for a few reasons.

First reason is that anyone wanting  to build a great game is in debt to WOTC for licensing and of course losing their profit margin.There has already been card games for quite some time and because they are always done so cheap knowing they can't risk a big budget,they always struggle or fail.

Number 2 is that WOTC is also indebted to Hasbro and i question weather WOTC is actually independent or just a front name for Hasbro a mega greedy giant.

Yes the concept would be great,but so was the card games,problem is you can't show little effort to the game and more effort to the greed factor of constantly selling cards and trying to rip money from your customers EVERY single day,it is just plain wrong and will never be supported long term.

Looking at the Blizzard take now proves that it is not about quality but your name goes far.Blizzard got more notoriety to their game than any other attempt and yet did no advertising and did not even put a lot of effort into the game,started a 5 man team,pretty shallow effort really.

It is a VERY easy game to draw assets for,SOE went one further and tried to implement HQ #D animated figures but the GREED factor was still there.

The ONLY way this type of genre will ever succeed is to make a normal full world mmorpg using the card concept but LOSE the GREED of selling cards,instead implement a sub fee.Cards would be had via drops in game and used upon play,sop that you had to farm them in game to compete pvp.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Was going to post the same thing pretty much.  Hex basically IS Magic plus the mmo additions as far as rules and style of play.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Wizardry

The ONLY way this type of genre will ever succeed is to make a normal full world mmorpg using the card concept but LOSE the GREED of selling cards,instead implement a sub fee.Cards would be had via drops in game and used upon play,sop that you had to farm them in game to compete pvp.

I absolutely agree with that.  You could have a game with no character levels at all and still give people endless pve stuff to do just by letting them travel around the game world fighting monsters to get cards to add to their collection.  Make it so people can lose cards when they lose fights and you extend the shelf life of the pve content even more.

I've thought about this a fair amount and I believe that a really awesome game could be made based on the CCG model if a group of devs  would just focus on making the game fun and not trying to build it around a cash shop.

There are things you could do to prevent too much copycatting of decks.  Like have a set of ultra-rare cards for each class or team and allow each person to only have one or two cards from that set at a time.  If you want a different one you would have to give up one of the ones you already have.

You could have castles to conquer and each castle could provide its' own unique card to its' current owner.  Only the owner of the castle has that card for his/her decks.

On the PvP side, you could set it up so that when you take over a region of territory your team then can fight the PVE monsters in that region to get cards from them, but only when that region is under your teams' control.  So the deeper you pushed into enemy territory the more cards you would have access to.  Even cards which are classified as "common" might become very rare on your team if it's been a long time since your team controlled the region that card comes from.

Blah, anyway, I really wish someone would make a game like that with a flat subscription fee and no cash shop.  But I'll probably still be waiting for it on the day I die.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Isn't  hex actually a card game, rather than an rpg? If my understanding of op is correct that ain't what he's talking about.

I think it'd be fun if you kind of pull a path of exile ability gem thing and link the abilities you have to use to cards you find. Not buy wotc, but find. So you'd need to have the fireball card "loaded" to cast a fireball, etc. That'd let them get beyond classes and just focus on abilities/cards to define your character. Of course, with WOTC being what it is, it'd be a giant mess.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Isn't  hex actually a card game, rather than an rpg? If my understanding of op is correct that ain't what he's talking about.

I think it'd be fun if you kind of pull a path of exile ability gem thing and link the abilities you have to use to cards you find. Not buy wotc, but find. So you'd need to have the fireball card "loaded" to cast a fireball, etc. That'd let them get beyond classes and just focus on abilities/cards to define your character. Of course, with WOTC being what it is, it'd be a giant mess.

Hex is going to have rpg elements to it in addition to pve.  Its also going to have gems and equipment you can put onto cards to improve what they do.  Theres also pve only cards that are meant to be used against the bosses you encounter in dungeons.  Check out the official Hex website for more info.

http://hextcg.com/

http://hextcg.com/game/dungeons-raids/

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.