Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I won't be playing ESO

Comments

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    People complaining about no AH but how they are implemented guild stores is one of the reasons i am excited about the game.  Makes it much more interesting.  Gives a reason for PVP instead of capture the flag like WAR.  Also you have to shop around different guild stores and different players will be known for the items they sell.  You have to defend your keep in order to make more money to sell your crafted goods so PVP is more important and actually affects the game. That means  you may stumble across some small keep and go inside and find a very cool looking helm to buy from a player owned store that you cant buy anywhere else in the game.    Going to the AH house and seeing 20 of the same weapons on the same AH or store isnt great to me.  Yes there maybe many crafters in the game that can make the same weapons but you have to find their store/keep to buy it and considering keeps will be changing factions, it wont always be in the same place.  Makes the world change a little actually which is very difficult to do in MMOs.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by kiltak

I didn't read whatever one else had to say so please forgive me on that front. However I did want to give my opinion on the subject of Elder Scroll Online. I played a few of the elder scrolls and thought that they would make wonderful MMO. I think it's hard to judge a game that is in beta. I also think it's hard to judge a game when you have no idea what the game will have later on down the road. MMO are hard to make and you have to focus on core content if you want to push out you're game in a timely fashion.

That being said I think the landscape of MMO is about to change. With Everquest Landmark I see the face of MMO changing forever. If the tools there building are as good as they claim and the game takes off I think it will have a massive impact on MMO across the board. I think with something like Landmark in a game like Elder Scroll would be truly amazing. 

I think Elder Scroll Online shows promise but it's a tad bit to early to tell. My personal opinion it could go either way. Right now I'm just going to wait till they get to alpha and then make up my mind. My one thought on Elder Scroll online as far as development is they need to use Skyrim as a base for it's design. Skyrim has been rather popular and people love the look and feel of the UI and Skill system as well as combat. However again as I said game is still in Beta and is at least a year away from being completed. Only time will tell one way or another.

I think one thing is safe to say for sure however.  With all of ESO's content being developed in house and no player generated content option there will never been even a fraction of the content available for ESO that there is for the older Elder Scrolls games.  They are banking on PVP  to fill the place of modding tools.  It really remains to be seen if that is going to turn out to be a good move or not.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by kiltak

I didn't read whatever one else had to say so please forgive me on that front. However I did want to give my opinion on the subject of Elder Scroll Online. I played a few of the elder scrolls and thought that they would make wonderful MMO. I think it's hard to judge a game that is in beta. I also think it's hard to judge a game when you have no idea what the game will have later on down the road. MMO are hard to make and you have to focus on core content if you want to push out you're game in a timely fashion.

That being said I think the landscape of MMO is about to change. With Everquest Landmark I see the face of MMO changing forever. If the tools there building are as good as they claim and the game takes off I think it will have a massive impact on MMO across the board. I think with something like Landmark in a game like Elder Scroll would be truly amazing. 

I think Elder Scroll Online shows promise but it's a tad bit to early to tell. My personal opinion it could go either way. Right now I'm just going to wait till they get to alpha and then make up my mind. My one thought on Elder Scroll online as far as development is they need to use Skyrim as a base for it's design. Skyrim has been rather popular and people love the look and feel of the UI and Skill system as well as combat. However again as I said game is still in Beta and is at least a year away from being completed. Only time will tell one way or another.

I think one thing is safe to say for sure however.  With all of ESO's content being developed in house and no player generated content option there will never been even a fraction of the content available for ESO that there is for the older Elder Scrolls games.  They are banking on PVP  to fill the place of modding tools.  It really remains to be seen if that is going to turn out to be a good move or not.

Might just be me, but I'm kinda glad about that, it just means to me I'll never move on from the SP games, as I love to mod them, now if I can just finish my Conan the Valorous mod I'll be happy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Yeah yeah we know you exist and your opinion is very important to me us )) You see not that hard to make some one  happy .
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by flguy147
    People complaining about no AH but how they are implemented guild stores is one of the reasons i am excited about the game.  Makes it much more interesting.  Gives a reason for PVP instead of capture the flag like WAR.  Also you have to shop around different guild stores and different players will be known for the items they sell.  You have to defend your keep in order to make more money to sell your crafted goods so PVP is more important and actually affects the game. That means  you may stumble across some small keep and go inside and find a very cool looking helm to buy from a player owned store that you cant buy anywhere else in the game.    Going to the AH house and seeing 20 of the same weapons on the same AH or store isnt great to me.  Yes there maybe many crafters in the game that can make the same weapons but you have to find their store/keep to buy it and considering keeps will be changing factions, it wont always be in the same place.  Makes the world change a little actually which is very difficult to do in MMOs.

The problem is the 'guild' stores are in cyrodil, thats a fail, because there are multiple instances of cyrodil, one for each 'campaign' which your put into when you create your 'toon' you can switch later on to one your guild is in, but if your in multiple guilds, you probably won't be able to access the stores of each guild, unless they are going to make the guild stores span multiple instances. Personally i see it as a design flaw, and the only reason that the stores are going to be in cyrodil is because they couldn't put them outside of it, as the 'zones' outside of cyrodil are 'fluid' and are based on player numbers rather than 'static' zones. I just don't see it being worth the effort personally, they would have been better off with a cross server/instances auction house, it would have made more sense than what they appear to be trying to cobble together, i mean i could be wrong, but looking at it at the moment its hard to see it as anything other than it is.image

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I as a fan and lots of players wanted an elders scrolls game that you can share.

so ill pay even though I am not happy with the sub.

its just one of those things ill play any good rpg game and with others its what I wanted.

lots of online rpg games coming end of 2014.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

The Elder Scrolls MMORPG,should to be sand box without any limitations , mmo based on players interactions .

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth

All these people that just want a single player game should go back into their mother's basement, log into whatever single-player ES game they want and just play with them self all day. Its what they like. Most of them would be playing with themselves in an MMO anyways, because they are obviously incapable of finding any friends, even in the online world.

So, if you only like single player games, why are you even on a MMO forum?

So, go play with yourself. That way you don't have to hear all of us telling you that you are doing it wrong.

Who's complaining that ESO isn't single player?  Some people want the game to be a multiplayer version of the Single Player series rather than (insert generic MMO name here) with a Elder Scrolls skin added on top of it.  I have personally wanted to play a Elder Scrolls game with my friends for many years now and unfortunately the more we learn about this game the less likely it appears that is going to happen.  I am hoping that I'm pleasantly surprised and all the complaints I have heard is nothing more than overreacting but I guess in 4 months we shall see.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by flguy147

The problem is the 'guild' stores are in cyrodil, thats a fail, because there are multiple instances of cyrodil, one for each 'campaign' which your put into when you create your 'toon' you can switch later on to one your guild is in, but if your in multiple guilds, you probably won't be able to access the stores of each guild, unless they are going to make the guild stores span multiple instances. Personally i see it as a design flaw, and the only reason that the stores are going to be in cyrodil is because they couldn't put them outside of it, as the 'zones' outside of cyrodil are 'fluid' and are based on player numbers rather than 'static' zones. I just don't see it being worth the effort personally, they would have been better off with a cross server/instances auction house, it would have made more sense than what they appear to be trying to cobble together, i mean i could be wrong, but looking at it at the moment its hard to see it as anything other than it is.image

I believe they said that you can port into a Keep from the PvE area. But only if the Keep is not under siege.

Could be that you won't have to run to the Keep or PvP, just port there, buy, then port out. They could make it so you can port into any of the guilds your are a part of regardless of campaign. As long as you are booted out if a siege starts and or you can't leave the Keep if you port in.

There is also a "guest" option to enter into any campaign. So if you join up with others that are going shopping at a Keep, you should be able to port into any campaign as well.

Edit: We could see a number of "caravans" from PvE major hubs with the "guest" option. A crafter from a crafting guild lets players know that they have a lot of items for sale and will be leaving soon. Join the group and port into the guild Keep for shopping, then port out when you are done.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's probably a good thing all these people wanting a multiplayer skyrim aren't going to play. If the game isn't what they want, the last thing I'd want to hear is them constantly whining about it in chat.

It's going to happen of course because they'll play anyway...but it would be nice if they didn't.

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43

The thing that amazes me is, how many people are comparing SINGLE PLAYER GAMES such as Oblivion, or Skyrim. To ONLINE MULTIPLAYER/MMO GAMES, such as ESO.

Please stop, it only makes you look stupid.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by calranthe

This is my opinion, not fact and I do not really mind if anyone else does not follow it.

Why post it here then ? If you are not playing just move on.

Well the simple answer is that this forum both for positive and negative for everyone who had or has an interest in this game be it to love or hate.

I know the company that is doing the game is a different company than the one that does Skyrim etc but this is an Elder scrolls game and just be held up to the past and history of these games.

Having been immersed in the lore and game play of the series since the original game which I have fond memories of my wife watching me play and Daggerfall with its shops and huge world single handed started my wife's gaming addiction.

My Morrowind save has over 2400 hours on it, Oblivion 1100 and as of this morning my Skyrim game is just nudging 604 hours.

So as a fan of the series and player of the games I am heavily invested in those titles, I spent a few hours last night with some not too accurate stats and realized that It would take me over 17 years of constant play to get through all the mod content on nexus and steam for skyrim alone.

March 2006 Oblivion came out and 7 years later if you use the latest meshes and enhancements it looks better than ESO, Skyrim with a decent pc you came make absolutely breath taking even morrowind is being shoe horned into the skyrim engine.

Bethesda makes good games but it is the tools and open ended architecture that cause it to surpass the lifetime of most other fantasy games.

At the same time I have played mmo's since muds and meridian 59 nearly every online title out there, currently I spend time in TSW, STO and Eve online.

My hope for ESO was a co-operative version of skyrim 4-8-16 players server mechanics like a modable minecraft server that people could come play in your world and adventure with you, open to all skyrim content available both original as well as nexus and steam the only limit being what the server owner decided would be on there.

Maybe I am the only one who wanted that I don't know but thinking about the elder scrolls as a genre in its own right and knowing that no development team in the world will be able to create and give content at the level of the mod people can I realize at best ESO will be a RvRvR competent mmo with ES lore and skin.

It just isn't for me, hell I will probably still be able to play skyrim in 7 years and will be amazed if ESO is still around then.

Just came to the conclusion that I do not need the ESO that is being created for us.

I do not hate it, sad at a lost chance to make something pretty unique after all imagine a co-op version or skyrim with access to all the mods available from quests to houses from races to item 17+ years of content for you and friends to play through.

I have hopes for wildstar and other mmo games but ESO is just stepping into a realm where it can never fill the world people have been playing in for 10 years already.

The company doing the game is Zenimax online. Zenimax is Bethesda, it is just a different division of the SAME company! 

History

ZeniMax Media was Co-founded in May 1999 by Bethesda Softworks founder Christopher Weaver and DC lawyer Robert A. Altman

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth

All these people that just want a single player game should go back into their mother's basement, log into whatever single-player ES game they want and just play with them self all day. Its what they like. Most of them would be playing with themselves in an MMO anyways, because they are obviously incapable of finding any friends, even in the online world.

So, if you only like single player games, why are you even on a MMO forum?

So, go play with yourself. That way you don't have to hear all of us telling you that you are doing it wrong.

And if you don't know how to speak to people decently, or get your point across without insulting someone else, then why are YOU on an MMO forum?

From the wording of your post, all of it completely unnecessary and uncalled for, it sounds as if YOU are the one who is incapable of finding any friends.  People who are happy and satisfied with themselves generally don't feel the need to belittle others, either in forums or in real life.  The hatred and vitriol in posts like yours tells the rest of us everything we need to know about you.  What a lonely, miserable existence you must lead.

When's the last time YOU came out of the basement, eh? 

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Personally I dont want the SKyrim ecperience in a Co-op setting. Im more looking for the ES feel infused in a MMO setting. To that end I havent seen anything causing me major concerns so far.

I will try it out, and see how it plays/feels, and then I will make my opinion if it is something I will keep with.

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Thornrage

I will pre-order and I will play as long as the game keeps me satisfied. I cannot ask for more.

I will do the same! But I can ask for more... I am pretty sure no one will listening to me!  :-P

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Here's a very colorful, but yet another entitlement post.

It has a lot of words surrounding it in the OP to try and disguise it, but let's cut through the clutter.

The issue isn't that you won't be buying the game because it's not a voxel based co-op.  If you stopped here, it would of been okay as just pure opinion and a game design that you were hoping for they would make.

But here is where the entitlement portion comes in.

The issue is that you would be surprised the game will last for any length of time because it's not the game design that you deem will be successful (read: that you want.)  What I find even funnier is that you think your long standing investment in the Elder Scrolls franchise gives you more weight in your opinion.  It doesn't.  

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Why do people think they should tell us why they wont play a game, because no one really cares.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    Why do people think they should tell us why they wont play a game, because no one really cares.

For a thread that you say no one cares there is a lot of replies on both sides of the discussion and like I said this forum is for those that like ESO and those that believe it is a mistake.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Here's a very colorful, but yet another entitlement post.

It has a lot of words surrounding it in the OP to try and disguise it, but let's cut through the clutter.

The issue isn't that you won't be buying the game because it's not a voxel based co-op.  If you stopped here, it would of been okay as just pure opinion and a game design that you were hoping for they would make.

But here is where the entitlement portion comes in.

The issue is that you would be surprised the game will last for any length of time because it's not the game design that you deem will be successful (read: that you want.)  What I find even funnier is that you think your long standing investment in the Elder Scrolls franchise gives you more weight in your opinion.  It doesn't.  

Let me correct you on a few things I did not mention voxel based and the context of my opinion and past investment and history in ES games is just showing the point I am coming from.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Seriously, this game cannot be all things to all people. This game will survive just fine. Personally, I began playing with Daggerfall. At the time it blew my mind & I've really enjoyed the Elder Scrolls series & I can say that I will be playing ESO. No doubt.

Will it be perfect? No.

Will it provide ESO fans with some MMO fun? In most cases, I'm betting yes.

Feedback is great for game developement but some of this mindless whining is just too much. I thought ESO fans were better than this. Shame on all of you.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

For a thread that you say no one cares there is a lot of replies on both sides of the discussion and like I said this forum is for those that like ESO and those that believe it is a mistake.

Because you simply made a new doom and gloom thread just like the other 2 massive threads on this subject.

We get it. Players of the first games are butt hurt that ESO is an mmo.

The is your ONLY complaint and evidently you can't survive without voicing your discontent endlessly completely ignorant of the fact that many other opinions may exist and simply wish to spam your unvarying opinion upon everyone else.

If any of the doom and gloomers here would actually listen for a ^%$#ing second to what others have to say (this goes for both sides) without shooting every thing down instantly then perhaps others would take you seriously for even a moment and not simply view these threads as endless spam.

You stay sassy!

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Everybody is entitled to their own opinions and have own wishes for a game.  Im another oldtimer for ES games but what I envisioned ESO to be closest in similarity to was a first person version of UO but obvious more reflex combat. Not a minecraft fan or could care less bout bulding voxels or whatnot terrain, so that would be a huge disapointment for me. Have had the beta for awhile but just havent found time or excuse to try it out yet. Hopefully we can all find somethin to like.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

so, you are saying you are not playing the mmo because you wanted a coop game?

yea well. that's interesting but irrelevant ^^

thx 4 sharing tho

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

My hope for ESO was a co-operative version of skyrim 4-8-16 players server mechanics like a modable minecraft server that people could come play in your world and adventure with you, open to all skyrim content available both original as well as nexus and steam the only limit being what the server owner decided would be on there.

I have hopes for wildstar and other mmo games but ESO is just stepping into a realm where it can never fill the world people have been playing in for 10 years already.

In case you didn't know, Wildstar is not a moddable 16-player co-op game... just saying.

Unwittingly, those two statements put together tell anyone who is contemplating making a new MMO all they need to know about the up-hill struggle of making one based on a pre-existing IP.

You tell us why you won't play the MMO based on the world and lore you profess to love, and then you tell us how you will play the most obvious WOW clone to come out in years which lacks all the features your beloved TES must have for you to even consider it...

I bet you're fun on Christmas day... "A dark green Porsche? Thanks, I guess, but you know, dark green is a British sport car color... it shouldn't even be an option for a Porsche." image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This is my opinion, not fact and I do not really mind if anyone else does not follow it.

Why post it here then ? If you are not playing just move on.

Well the simple answer is that this forum both for positive and negative for everyone who had or has an interest in this game be it to love or hate.

I know the company that is doing the game is a different company than the one that does Skyrim etc but this is an Elder scrolls game and just be held up to the past and history of these games.

Having been immersed in the lore and game play of the series since the original game which I have fond memories of my wife watching me play and Daggerfall with its shops and huge world single handed started my wife's gaming addiction.

My Morrowind save has over 2400 hours on it, Oblivion 1100 and as of this morning my Skyrim game is just nudging 604 hours.

So as a fan of the series and player of the games I am heavily invested in those titles, I spent a few hours last night with some not too accurate stats and realized that It would take me over 17 years of constant play to get through all the mod content on nexus and steam for skyrim alone.

March 2006 Oblivion came out and 7 years later if you use the latest meshes and enhancements it looks better than ESO, Skyrim with a decent pc you came make absolutely breath taking even morrowind is being shoe horned into the skyrim engine.

Bethesda makes good games but it is the tools and open ended architecture that cause it to surpass the lifetime of most other fantasy games.

At the same time I have played mmo's since muds and meridian 59 nearly every online title out there, currently I spend time in TSW, STO and Eve online.

Maybe I am the only one who wanted that I don't know but thinking about the elder scrolls as a genre in its own right and knowing that no development team in the world will be able to create and give content at the level of the mod people can I realize at best ESO will be a RvRvR competent mmo with ES lore and skin.

It just isn't for me, hell I will probably still be able to play skyrim in 7 years and will be amazed if ESO is still around then.

Just came to the conclusion that I do not need the ESO that is being created for us.

I do not hate it, sad at a lost chance to make something pretty unique after all imagine a co-op version or skyrim with access to all the mods available from quests to houses from races to item 17+ years of content for you and friends to play through.

I dont get you... you complain about ESO graphics... and then you announce you want to play Wildstar..

Elder scrolls is bound to create the first MMO with real RPG since LOTRO saw the market..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)