Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or D3 is one of a kind?

Comments

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Hmm, confusingly heartwarming to see that months can pass and nothing changes, hey narius :)

Anyways, the combat argument.

I see this claim that combat is cool fluid and in general good in this game a lot.

I dont get it.

- when i play i find i am very often in a situation where my movement is blocked by something, i am stunned, interrupted and thrown around, outside ofcourse the "OP" builds that avoid these mechanics

- when i choose a slow weapon i find i do not only attack slowly (which is expected), but i am also rooted in place by some windup/down animations of my character

- while i can play games on overseas servers @ 200ms ping if i want, d3 servers seem to have the same ping and greater on the same continent (normally 30-40ms in other games), resulting once again in my character being rooted at times for 0.5-1s if i use a skill that requires more communication, like skills that change your position, vault, teleport....

So where is the great fluid satisfying combat everyone talks about? Or is it a feature reserved for "OP" builds that also have 3 aps ? :)

Or does the sheer fact that your screen constantly features stuff that flies around count as fluid combat? Rise of the Triad had that too, in EKG mode :)

Flame on!

:)

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Ligi

Sometimes I just start short D3 sessions  because I love the combat on this game. I love the physics, the feeling off destroying objects and reaping countless mobs in a very fast pace.

been playing it over a year in short sessions and I still love it,  lately been playing  on hardcore and its a blast! 

The upcoming expansion seems to adress alot of problems pointed by the community so IMO the future seems bright for D3 , just keep the dungeons dark :)

Do you guys played any game where the combact  feels so great as in D3? I really would like to know your opinion.

Please leave the RMAH subject out of this thread.

3 of a kind actually, lol.

Diablo, D2 and D3 all have similar physics and game mechanics. Only differences are gear progression and configuration, classes available and graphics, really.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

3 of a kind actually, lol.

Diablo, D2 and D3 all have similar physics and game mechanics. Only differences are gear progression and configuration, classes available and graphics, really.

In the same way a beetle is similar to a ferrari, same four wheels, combustion engine, steering wheel...

Flame on!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by BadSpock
    I have been SO tempted to pick up D3 for my PS3...
    I know me too. I would have to make time where there is none though :(
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Sometimes I just start short D3 sessions  because I love the combat on this game. I love the physics, the feeling off destroying objects and reaping countless mobs in a very fast pace.been playing it over a year in short sessions and I still love it,  lately been playing  on hardcore and its a blast! The upcoming expansion seems to adress alot of problems pointed by the community so IMO the future seems bright for D3 , just keep the dungeons dark :)Do you guys played any game where the combact  feels so great as in D3? I really would like to know your opinion.Please leave the RMAH subject out of this thread.

when it comes to ARPG's, i have not played a game with better more fluid combat than D3

Originally posted by Banaghran
    Hmm, confusingly heartwarming to see that months can pass and nothing changes, hey narius :)

Anyways, the combat argument.

I see this claim that combat is cool fluid and in general good in this game a lot.

I dont get it.

- when i play i find i am very often in a situation where my movement is blocked by something, i am stunned, interrupted and thrown around, outside ofcourse the "OP" builds that avoid these mechanics

- when i choose a slow weapon i find i do not only attack slowly (which is expected), but i am also rooted in place by some windup/down animations of my character

- while i can play games on overseas servers @ 200ms ping if i want, d3 servers seem to have the same ping and greater on the same continent (normally 30-40ms in other games), resulting once again in my character being rooted at times for 0.5-1s if i use a skill that requires more communication, like skills that change your position, vault, teleport....

So where is the great fluid satisfying combat everyone talks about? Or is it a feature reserved for "OP" builds that also have 3 aps ? :)

Or does the sheer fact that your screen constantly features stuff that flies around count as fluid combat? Rise of the Triad had that too, in EKG mode :)

Flame on!

name an ARPG with more fluid combat. being stunned is a game mechanic, which has nothing to do with the combat animations being fluid LOL

it also seems you have internet issues because my ping is a lot better than yours (62-65 on average). that's not an issue with combat being fluid either.

every other ARPG i have ever played doesn't compare when it comes to combat. there are other games with other features that you can argue that's better but not combat, at least not IMO

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Sometimes I just start short D3 sessions  because I love the combat on this game. I love the physics, the feeling off destroying objects and reaping countless mobs in a very fast pace.

been playing it over a year in short sessions and I still love it,  lately been playing  on hardcore and its a blast! 

The upcoming expansion seems to adress alot of problems pointed by the community so IMO the future seems bright for D3 , just keep the dungeons dark :)

Do you guys played any game where the combact  feels so great as in D3? I really would like to know your opinion.

D3 is nothing compared how great games were D1 and D2, it's a trash overmarketed attempt to make a crap look like gold, it's too easy, too shallow, too simple compared to it's predecessors.

Path of Exile is way more challenging and enjoyable than D3 is!

Originally posted by LlexX
    Originally posted by Ligi Sometimes I just start short D3 sessions  because I love the combat on this game. I love the physics, the feeling off destroying objects and reaping countless mobs in a very fast pace. been playing it over a year in short sessions and I still love it,  lately been playing  on hardcore and its a blast!  The upcoming expansion seems to adress alot of problems pointed by the community so IMO the future seems bright for D3 , just keep the dungeons dark :) Do you guys played any game where the combact  feels so great as in D3? I really would like to know your opinion. Please leave the RMAH subject out of this thread.
    D3 is nothing compared how great games were D1 and D2, it's a trash overmarketed attempt to make a crap look like gold, it's too easy, too shallow, too simple compared to it's predecessors.

i played POE extensively, i completely disagree. there are less viable builds in POE than there is in D3.

when you first start playing it and look at that skill jungle they have going on, it seems like its a lot more customization, it really isn't.

there is only a few viable builds and every class ends up getting a lot of the same things, because its necessary.

also, the combat is more clunky and the overall game feel and theme is just so unoriginal, its just their version of diablo.

its a good game considering its free but its not better made or more enjoyable IMO

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by LlexX

Originally posted by Ligi Sometimes I just start short D3 sessions  because I love the combat on this game. I love the physics, the feeling off destroying objects and reaping countless mobs in a very fast pace. been playing it over a year in short sessions and I still love it,  lately been playing  on hardcore and its a blast!  The upcoming expansion seems to adress alot of problems pointed by the community so IMO the future seems bright for D3 , just keep the dungeons dark :) Do you guys played any game where the combact  feels so great as in D3? I really would like to know your opinion. Please leave the RMAH subject out of this thread.

i played POE extensively, i completely disagree. there are less viable builds in POE than there is in D3.

when you first start playing it and look at that skill jungle they have going on, it seems like its a lot more customization, it really isn't.

there is only a few viable builds and every class ends up getting a lot of the same things, because its necessary.

also, the combat is more clunky and the overall game feel and theme is just so unoriginal, its just their version of diablo.

its a good game considering its free but its not better made or more enjoyable IMO

"enjoyable" is subjective. PoE is certainly not more enjoyable than D3 to me. D3 has better (to me) combat, and more (to me) interesting builds.

I will be playing RoS a lot more than PoE, for sure.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Thomson

Wow, more than half of those builds are crap and almost non existent past casual play.

Archon or freeze specs are the only played builds.
    For example here are the top 500 players by herocsore.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/top_skills/stat_heroscore_500

See how there are only 11 Skills above 20% usage?
    Meteor is used by 2.20%, Blizards also by 2.20% and Disintegrate by 0.6%
    So try again?

What is heroscore?  What I'm saying here is, one I've never heard of it, nor do I care.  Like WOW, the average player is a casual player, not a hardcore bang my head against the wall raid monster (MP 10 ubers in D3 terminology)  And yes, I have a solo Hardcore Inferno Sorceress.  Using Arcane Torrent as my main damage dealer.

Is this really any different than any MMO, each class has roughly the same playstyle and 1-3 styles of playing.  Not really much more into it than that one ANY game.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Calling it unique or one of a kind is a stretch. It does what it is designed to do well, and has a lot of polish, but it's far from the best speciman that the arpg genre has seen (when it's remained hugely popular for a full decade, it might have a chance of challenging D2) and its not the best work that Blizzard has put out (again, D2 is a better overall game). Sure, the combat may be the best out there, but without decent supporting systems, the combat system by itself cannot carry the game. The skill system is decent, but has as many weaknesses as it does strengths, and the rest of the game is ordinary at best. In the end, it a good game for those that like that kind of quick, easy to access combat, but it's not unique, particularly special, or overly outstanding as a whole; it's one of many solidly built games, each one with a slightly different focus, that feed off of the legacy of it's predecessors, nothing more, and nothing less.
    Originally posted by sunshadow21
    Calling it unique or one of a kind is a stretch. It does what it is designed to do well, and has a lot of polish, but it's far from the best speciman that the arpg genre has seen (when it's remained hugely popular for a full decade, it might have a chance of challenging D2) and its not the best work that Blizzard has put out (again, D2 is a better overall game). Sure, the combat may be the best out there, but without decent supporting systems, the combat system by itself cannot carry the game. The skill system is decent, but has as many weaknesses as it does strengths, and the rest of the game is ordinary at best. In the end, it a good game for those that like that kind of quick, easy to access combat, but it's not unique, particularly special, or overly outstanding as a whole; it's one of many solidly built games, each one with a slightly different focus, that feed off of the legacy of it's predecessors, nothing more, and nothing less.

I disagree.

D2 don't get to its godlike status until the expansion, and D3 is getting there.

D3 has better combat, and i like the skill system better .. much more open for experimentation, and different builds.

The AH is a mis-step which is corrected. We will see if the new lengendaries will be as good.

Lastly, the different game modes and essentially infinite number of random dungeons will be good.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Best combat but few classes, poor itemization and very little content.   Definitely not worthy of Blizzard in my opinion.

The expansion improves but doesn't fix all of it's major issues.  It too bad they abandoned D2 when designing D3 and its expansion.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

D2 don't get to its godlike status until the expansion, and D3 is getting there.

No it's not.  Even the D3 expansion is just a dumbed down D2.  They've removed almost all choice and complexity from the Diablo franchise.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    I'm not at all thrilled by Diablo style combat. I prefer real action and combo based combat like Devil May Cry, and Darksiders. Even Starwars: Force Unleashed is better than any isometric clickity clack I've played.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I played Diablo II, both regular and with Median just a few months before the beta of Diablo III began. I do not play games several times often, but even after all this years, i played the sh*t out of Diablo II. I did play like 10 minutes of Diablo III, and only actually finished the beta later when some friends got access, too. None of us picked it up, despite all of us being huge Diablo II (and arpgs in general) fans.

One is playing PoE most of the time, not really my kind of game either, though. I enjoyed Torchlight II, certainly better than Diablo III, though it's not as good as Diablo II.

My issues:

One thing is the skill system. The runes or whatever is was called was pretty much pointless, and several skills felt way too similar.

Another thing are the maps. Not only are they not randomly generated, they are rather small and narrow. While they might open up a bit (but didn't feel anywhere close to what DII had) at times, they force you though a chokepoint every now and then. You just run along the single path and hit the next area within two minutes.

I didn't notice the AH dependency in that short time obviously, but seeing that complaints were already all over the place, it was another reason to not pick it up.

There whole "community" deal was stupid, too. I managed to play with friends the last 10-20 years when i felt like it. I don't need always-online and  "random" people joining my game. Even worse was their reason behind it. Not only would have it been perfectly possible to seperate LAN games/characters and always-on, it didn't even work. There were private servers while it was still beta, and no MMO ever managed (or will ever do so) to get rid of bots completely. Some of you guys here already mentioned that the economy was ruined by bots.

So what did they ultimately achieve with their always-on and server/client based infrastructure? They even allow offline play and removed the AH. Both things must have worked out really well.

If you like it, good for you, it's not easy these days to find a game you really like. If not..well, at least there are quite a lot of games being released or just around the corner at any time.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

The only thing D3 has done which is better than the other isometic dungeon crawling, loot based rpg game is the combat. Everything else is subpar; such as the looting(although it has been reworked for consoles), runeskill system is horrible and really doesn't offer much uniqueness, only 4 players, low amount of mobs on the screen at any give time, bland story line compared to the previous games. I'm not sure why people praise the game when it is a step backwards.

The graphics and combat are the only better things about the game and they are charging us $40,00 to fix that via the expansion pack.. The only reason the game sold so many was the fact it was made by blizzard with their fanbase and the diablo fans; not to mention all the reviewers who got kickbacks from praising the game.

MurderHerd

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    As a massive fan of D1 and D2, I prefer both TL2 and PoE over D3.  It just wasn't very good in my opinion.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Pretty sure its just you.

As far as the combat goes, I find diablo III to be less than its predecessors which in turn were a complete dumbing down and removal of all thought from the old rpgs of the time which required an individual to approach every single encounter with strategy in mind. 

As far as the future is concerned, companies always promise and sell (based upon those promises) fraudulent products that far fall short.  What a reviewer or previewer has to say means less than what my dead grandma has to say because at least she wasn't dependent upon the manufacturer's of the product for her livelihood.

Games with great feeling combat?  Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is one right off the top of my head.  Assassin's Creed IV is another.  Fallout and Fallout 2 had far better combat, the feeling one gets from aiming at and blowing off a mutants gun arm and a leg are quite incredible and not matched in anything I have seen recently.  

Funny how the number one feature blizzard pushed and pushed is the one thing you don't want to discuss, which in turn tells me that you aren't entirely sold on your own opinion lol.  Sorry I can't build you up but Diablo III sucks monkey balls compared to every game in the genre that has come before, and easily beaten by pretty much every game in every other genre including angry birds star wars.

With all of that said it matters not one bit as long as you enjoy the game you bought.  I unfortunately do not enjoy the game, do not enjoy the absolute lack of entertainment in the product and the lack of entertainment that it has provided since its release over its deep deep desire to steal pennies from players dumb enough to use the auction house.  

May a Joshua Tree come to life and, using its most prickly of appendages, anally probe every single Blizzard employee that had anything to do with Diablo III giving extra special attention to the designers of the loot system and auction house.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by sunshadow21

I disagree.

D3 has better combat, and i like the skill system better .. much more open for experimentation, and different builds.

The AH is a mis-step which is corrected. We will see if the new lengendaries will be as good.

Lastly, the different game modes and essentially infinite number of random dungeons will be good.

As i said, we'll see at the 10 year mark if it even has a chance at meeting the bold claim put forth in the OP. Until then, it's one of many solid follow up games, each of which have a slightly different focus, and thus, appeal to a slightly different crowd. The combat in D3 has never been in question, but the skill system turns off as many people as it appeals to, and the rest of the game has yet to show anything above average. Perhaps the expansion will change some of that, perhaps not; right now though, it's a bit early to be making that claim.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its got polish, but beyond that its very shallow and lacks much as far as an ARPG goes. Its not really one of a kind as what it does "Super casual ARPG" has been done before. What makes it 'stand out' is also the areas that are mostly considered to be its negatives as well in the eyes of many people who feel the game isn't very good.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

A beautiful women with nothing to offer besides appeal.

Oddly enough, a lot of people like this sort of thing. Maybe they were appealing to 'that' type of crowd.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    The combat is possibly the fastest out of any hack n slash. However it's mostly let down by the character building and item collection. Whish is kinda sad because that's like the other 3qtr of the game that we enjoyed.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by evilastro
    As a massive fan of D1 and D2, I prefer both TL2 and PoE over D3.  It just wasn't very good in my opinion.

And i prefer D3 over TL2 and PoE. They are just not very good in my opinion.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

If you think D3 is good you should try D2 with Meridian XL or something.