Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2 lost me when they lost cantha

Guild Wars was excellent. I played for close to three years. Guild Wars 2, was not excellent. I tried everything to like it more. I drank the koolaid everyday, I encouraged my crew to hang in there when they were looking at other games. Then GW2 stabbed me in the heart, they said no Cantha. I threw-up in my mouth a ill bit. It was like they didn't know me at all. That day the giant meteor hit Guild Wars world and destroyed it. I was finally done, I felt like a used sex prop.

Comments

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Seems a bit over dramatic don't you think? 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    So Guild Wars 2 doesn't have Cantha in the game at launch.  You know what other games didn't have Cantha in at launch?  Guild Wars 1.  Well, all of them, actually, but including Guild Wars 1.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Shiny.Of.Mu
    Guild Wars was excellent. I played for close to three years. Guild Wars 2, was not excellent. I tried everything to like it more. I drank the koolaid everyday, I encouraged my crew to hang in there when they were looking at other games. Then GW2 stabbed me in the heart, they said no Cantha. I threw-up in my mouth a ill bit. It was like they didn't know me at all. That day the giant meteor hit Guild Wars world and destroyed it. I was finally done, I felt like a used sex prop.

GW2 has no soul.  I still consider GW the better of the two games.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

agree. Never lost interest that fast to a mmo that i paid. This game is not even f2p worth. All they show is some pretty pixels (which i find disgusting- and even the fact they used a 10y old engine - the gw1 engine.)

the game is so soulles- and absoluetly meaningless. You ask yourself ever 10min-WHATS THE POINT TO GET THIS WHEN I DONT GET BENEFITS?

its like studying for a exam and in the end you jsut attend the exam but you dont get a grade- whats the point?

• Shiny.Of.MuShiny.Of.Mu Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    So Guild Wars 2 doesn't have Cantha in the game at launch.  You know what other games didn't have Cantha in at launch?  Guild Wars 1.  Well, all of them, actually, but including Guild Wars 1.

Good point Quiz, except they have announced that they will not introduce Cantha to GW2. They are worried that Cantha is racist. How is Cantha racist?

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Deleted User
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Good point Quiz, except they have announced that they will not introduce Cantha to GW2. They are worried that Cantha is racist. How is Cantha racist?

Show me that announcement.  Please, do.  Because the last time they opened their mouth about Cantha was to mention that it's "still on the table of possibilities in the future".   There's been no mention about Cantha being "racist" save for overly obsessed, overly analytical fans who mirror their own conflicting feelings about Cantha being a mix of Japanese and Chinese cultural influences.   

And, to be quite frank, if you're wanting an Asian-themed MMORPG, it's not that hard to find dozens of them.   GW2 isn't an Asian-themed MMORPG (save for the big-breasted, short-skirt females that inhabit it).   Heck, you can even have your fill of Asian theme by playing the latest WoW expansion:  Mists of Pandaland. 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Except they didn't. They said they aren't currently working on Cantha. The whole "It's racist" nonsense was just the internet being the internet. "I heard from someone who has a friend who delivers pizza to Arenanet ..."

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cantha

1)https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Merged-The-Cantha-Thread/page/2#post1385108

2)http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Great_Collapse

1) "Certainly nothing is ruled out. I certainly encourage anyone to express your desire for a Cantha region in GW2 in a positive and friendly way. It could be years away, but it’s worth asking for.'

2) "At one point during development, this area was originally a completed Canthan district and included a blend of Asian architectures. However, this mix of styles received negative feedback from China and Korea, since those gaming markets traditionally prefer a uniform design. Due to time constraints the district was replaced by the Great Collapse.[3]"

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Stereotypes are a curious thing.

If I took offense to all the Oktoberfest events where you get Lederhosen and beer mugs as costumes, I would be busy being butthurt throughout the whole month.

Removing the Cantha district was stupid but seeing how the OP already deleted his account I would say he was just troll baiting rather than making a statement. 

If you want to see a game without a soul go and try Fly For Fun.

Harbinger of Fools
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Well, avoiding to mess with the cultural sensibiliies of two very large future markets isn't quite what I'd call stupid, though I can understand it looks that way from our perspective. Unfortunately it doesn't look like those enmities are going to cease anytime soon.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I agree

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by exile01

agree. Never lost interest that fast to a mmo that i paid. This game is not even f2p worth. All they show is some pretty pixels (which i find disgusting- and even the fact they used a 10y old engine - the gw1 engine.)

the game is so soulles- and absoluetly meaningless. You ask yourself ever 10min-WHATS THE POINT TO GET THIS WHEN I DONT GET BENEFITS?

I agree with your agreement. I really wanted to like it, but I just can't get into it at all. The only reason I keep it installed on my hard drive is I am still hopeful that it ends up being playable for me.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Ok this culture mixing problem just boils my blood

I mean this is a fantasy game - it can have any blending of any cultures it wants and frankly countries being upset because they're mixed with a similar culture is extremely xenophobic if you ask me

Am I mad as a European that there are stone castles that look a lot like a combination of British, German and Italian designs?

No, and if I was I would be considered a huge moron by everyone

This really gets on my nerve..

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Naqaj

Except they didn't. They said they aren't currently working on Cantha. The whole "It's racist" nonsense was just the internet being the internet. "I heard from someone who has a friend who delivers pizza to Arenanet ..."

You'd be surprised how much information someone will reveal when you are bringing them food.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    GW2 is such a beautiful game in my opinion. It saddens me that a lot of people were expecting the exact same thing as GW1 just better graphics.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    GW2 is such a beautiful game in my opinion. It saddens me that a lot of people were expecting the exact same thing as GW1 just better graphics.

Guess what TESO is going to be in expectations?  They're (the TESO fans) are expecting Skyrim/Oblivion but within a sandbox multiplayer world.  They're going to be HUGELY disappointed in finding it to be a themepark  that is blander than a PB&J on Monday.

GW2 is great for what it is.  I can't wait until Season #2 hot-boils WvW again and they bring up the floating island overflow map as well.   As for any land-expansion content, I'm really hoping that they instead expand into the Maguuma Jungle to the west and the Northern Shiverpeaks to the far north;  both locations far more interesting than a xenophobic Cantha and whatever other generic lands rom GW1.