Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any point to Bluray drives on a PC?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Just what the title says. Is there any point to having a Bluray drive on your PC, if you don't plan on playing any Bluray movies? Are games likely to come out on Bluray disks anytime soon?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well PS3 games are on Blu Ray format.  Standard (Single Layer) Blu Ray discs can hold up to 25 gigs of data so you would think more games would be on them for the PC.  However, most PC games are also now mostly sold as digital copies so I guess the Blu Ray drive is there for people who simply like to use their computers to watch or make their own movies.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Games are downloadable now a days, no need for a Bluray to play games.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Nope. I love bluray don't get me wrong, but unless you still burning things to disk then there is no reason to have one. most games do digital Download, and everything else is small enough to fit on a DVD if you don't just use a flash drive.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Trying to play Blurays on a PC is a massive pain in the rump, surprisingly so, and not really worth the trouble -- IMHO, anyway.

The only thing I've used the Bluray drive on my system for is burning disks. The capacity is quite nice, though the price of blanks is still quite high.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

When games studios start putting out two different boxes; one DVD, One Bluray then I would worry about having a Bluray drive.  As of right now games are either distributed on DVD or download (Steam, Amazon Download etc).

Unless you want to play Bluray movies on the computer then of course the Bluray drive is a must.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i would like blue ray on my PC because i still do disc backups. I dont feel like doing external hard drive backups and then accidentally drop it and screw everything. But all i back up on disc is mp3 and videos so its not a big deal anyway.... The good thing about pc games on blue ray is that i dont have to download 20GB+ every time i want to play something different (im only keeping installed the games i know ill play soon). Its faster to install from disc then patch online. My opinion.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Aside from console games (which you can't legally play on a PC anyway), I don't know of any PC games that ship on Blu-Ray.

Retail distribution is all still via DVD, or online key for digital download.

Aside from Blu-Ray movies - no, no reason at all for a Blu-Ray drive in a PC.

Even if you were considering it as a backup solution, writable optical media only has a shelf life of around 5 years (the chemical in the disc that makes it laser-reactive can break down), making it a poor choice to trust all your files to. It's great if you just wnat to burn some data to pass it around, although so are thumb drives, and those don't require a Blu-Ray drive in every PC I want to use them in. I would invest in an NAS or USB external drives, or even cloud storage, before I went to writable optical for anything considered archival.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Aside from console games (which you can't legally play on a PC anyway), I don't know of any PC games that ship on Blu-Ray.

except for Wii (and possibly WiiU). You can get compatible cd rom (there are some specific cd roms compatible with those discs), install dolphin emulator, and purchase an original copy of wii game and play on PC completely legally. But yeah thats the only exception.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

There's no point in getting a blu-ray drive for playing PC games. Blu-ray is in theory better technology than DVD, but there are so few people who have seen any reason to upgrade from DVD into blu-ray in their PCs that no PC publisher is going to release anything on blu-ray.

It's more likely that both DVDs and blu-rays are getting replaced by high-speed internet connections. If you need blu-ray for something now, then buy it, but if you're wondering whether you should buy it to be ready for the future or not, it's not worth buying.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I built a PC back in 2010, I built it with a blueray burner just because it was only $30 more then the dvd burner. Haven't used it yet.

In these new days of Netflix, ITunes and Steam. Blueray's and Dvd's are pretty much obsolete except for legacy reason's

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Rayshe
    Nope. I love bluray don't get me wrong, but unless you still burning things to disk then there is no reason to have one. most games do digital Download, and everything else is small enough to fit on a DVD if you don't just use a flash drive.

DVDs hold about 9gb of data, while a flash drive can hold anywhere from 2gb to 32gb, so the winner there is definitely flash drives. The DVDs are cheaper though.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The reason I asked is that an external DVD player is $25 and an external Bluray player starts at about $80. Didn't want to spend the extra $ if there was no point to it. Thanks guys.