Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

But this is Sony

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The key to knowing if SoE will screw up Next "like before" isn't to look at what they've done in the past but why, and see of those same conditions exist.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by jyoung2k

But this is Sony

My thoughts exactly

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I really want to see them deliver a good quality sandbox-ish game, but I take the wait and see approach. I've been burned so many times before from mediocre mmorpg's promises. I don't let the gaming press get me hyped up for anything anymore. Those people play the game for a few mins and give a review. We'll just have to wait and see with EQ-Next to see if they can deliver on their promises. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Remember when Mark Jacobs said "We're going to prove blizzard isn't the only one that can make a good game." A few years later WoW still has millions and Warhammer is closing down.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I have nothing but the highest respect for SoE, their games, and their development teams ( old and present ). There isn't a major studio I trust more to make engaging titles. Their track records of releases points not only to a high level of quality but also the ability to shift direction in a changing market, thereby saving some venues for those who enjoy them. I have yet to hear any credible reason why I should distrust SoE , I can't help but shake my head at the people who still cling to the hatred directed towards them ... which was largely encouraged as the "who should we hate on now" fad made it's rounds a few years ago. Does SoE get everything right? No. Do they make mistakes and even slip from time to time, of course. Some people will always hold to to their dissatisfaction with a company, that's fine as well... but make no mistake, there are those of us out there who hold SoE in high regard.

* - Counter Balance for the  trite SoE hate.

Originally posted by Redemp

I have nothing but the highest respect for SoE, their games, and their development teams

Safe to say everyone stopped reading there.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    In the face of their past history, it is rather surprising that people are so forgiving of past misdeeds.

Lol, over dramatic at it's finest, seriously you talk as if SOE has broken into your house and took all your belongings. Have they killed one of your relatives, oh perhaps they have taken all your money and left you destitute.

You tell me?

I've had two accounts with SOE since 1999, been through all the bad times and good but that's gaming and life. Fact is SOE have made some great games and have the longest running mmo's to date.

Still crying over SWG and pass mistake is actually pathetic, if you or anyone else moaning about SOE were really that bothered you wouldn't be in threads like these.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

The point here, for me, is not to play the blame game. Nor is it for me to hope on board the "love train" either. My point here is to say, on the record, as long as this will be archived forward say 10 or more years hence.

The first 20 years of the 21st century may well be remembered as the mini-age of the conspiracy theory. Look at how ALL the cable news networks and the major networks play up to conspiracies be they "left-wing" or "right-wing". I rather think it begins to play on our since of reality a bit. I am rather over it myself. How about the rest of us here on this forum?

How many times must we "discuss" whether a company like Sony is screwing us over? I woke up this morning and not once was I bothered by the business dealings of Sony, Blizzard, Electronic Arts, NC Soft, and the list could go on. The games I play DO NOT manipulate my actions on a day-to-day basis. I play because I enjoy.

Now, I suppose the OP of this thread as OP's of threads of this nature to come and the OP's of past threads that warn us of impending doom and gloom because THEY "feel" there is something sneaky or unscrupulous going on behind us poor, poor consumer/gamers out there. Now really...I'm way over this "discussion"

My answer here is this. I am NOT wanting any game to be my savior at any time. I actually don't want anything out of any game or any game-making company other than it is up to ME alone to decide whether I actually enjoy playing whatever game I'm playing...PERIOD!

Obliviously, people if you are mad at some gaming company there is a more professional and mature way to complain or "discuss" the issue. If it REALLY does bother your ability to function as a human being, then by ALL means make some phone calls to the companies themselves, or invest in a ticket to fly out to San Diego and go to the SoE campus and make a blasted appointment and face-to-face speak to the offending party. All this forum nonsense is just what it is nonsense.

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sony, or at least SOE have made more than a few mistakes when it comes to MMO's, either running them into the ground or destroying them uncompromisingly, but Sony on the other hand, has just produced the PS4, which to all intents and purposes has to be the most sought after console in the world, if only their MMO's were of a similar quality image
    Originally posted by Phry
    Sony, or at least SOE have made more than a few mistakes when it comes to MMO's, either running them into the ground or destroying them uncompromisingly, but Sony on the other hand, has just produced the PS4, which to all intents and purposes has to be the most sought after console in the world, if only their MMO's were of a similar quality image

SoE is in no way responsible for the PS4, they are however responsible for the non stop MMO trash they've been developing for the past decade.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    Originally posted by Phry

SoE is in no way responsible for the PS4, they are however responsible for the non stop MMO trash they've been developing for the past decade.

i don't disagree with you at all, it was just a matter of wishful thinking on my partimage

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I'm a little shocked that so many people are excited about NEXT. Admittedly they had me it at first but then I started reading Smedly comments and the sirens and red flags went off.

Remember this is the company:

• that nickle and dimed people to death IN DC Universe (after saying it would always be a subscription)
    • killed SWG with NGE and then refused to roll it back even as subscriptions died by 1000's a day
    • mismanaged security and then treated us all like we were stupid while they took months to fix it
    • ignored devs when they said that eq2 wasn't going to be "awesome"
    Even now they are getting slammed by their own developers around NEXT.

I wanted to believe the hype but as a long time of EQ1/EQ2/SWG/DCU I know they will just screw it up.

I cant trust them again and I'm surprised so many of you are willing to... why?

When I woke up this morning I was totally hoping to see a post slamming SOE. It is going to be so awesome when the new game releases and everybody comes out of the wood work posting the exact same things day after day. This broken record just keeps on spinning...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• jyoung2kjyoung2k Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by alyndale

Now, I suppose the OP of this thread as OP's of threads of this nature to come and the OP's of past threads that warn us of impending doom and gloom because THEY "feel" there is something sneaky or unscrupulous going on behind us poor, poor consumer/gamers out there. Now really...I'm way over this "discussion"

My intentions were a little more straight forward. If you have a friend who borrows money from you on a promise. He never repays that money and he always has an excuse why its not his fault he cant pay you back. Sooner or later you stop loaning him money, he can still be your friend but you know his promises aren't worth anything.

Thats what SOE is for me, I cant hate them, i played Eq1 for years good times and good memories. I have had fun with them but they suck when it comes to paying off when/what they promise. They have done more harm than good when it comes to the final impression of how they run their company (IMO).

I came off harsh when I started this thread, no excuse. I was simply shocked by the SOE love in other threads and I couldn't understand where it was coming from. I wanted to know quite simply why they were given so much credit when a company like Bethusda  Softworks is being trashed.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I don't blindly have faith in companies or their products. I take everything said by devs/suits as hype and that their version of reality might not be what I experience.

With that said, I also have eyes and almost 20 years of online gaming experience and can make judgments with my own little noggin. 

What SOE has done in the past is of little concern to me. EQ and SWG were both great games. Outside influences and the market are what happened to most of SOE products. I highly doubt any company ever goes "hey we are doing great, lets totally screw up our product and see if we get more customers." It is usually the complete opposite.

Next is a new game(s) and so far looks to be the best thing coming out in the mmo world for a while. Few independents look interesting (Pathfinder, Camelot Unchained) but they are far from being fully fleshed out mmos.

I purchased a founder's pack and will take part in alpha and beyond. I'll give my input and will see what SOE has up their sleeves. Since the reveal, they have been honest and followed through with what they have said.

Smedly is a suit. I see him as the Balmer of SOE. He should come with a PR warning label "anything said by me may not be the whole truth." I've never paid him much attention. No clue what he was thinking when he said we'd have something in our hands by the end of the year. Either he was confused or misspoke, either way it doesn't change how I feel. He also isn't working on EQN.

I'm surprised so many people waste their time on forums for games they seem to have no interest in. Don't like SOE or EQN, why bother those that do? Plenty of other games out and coming out to go talk about instead. Makes no sense honestly. The fact that so many of you visit here shows me that you either aren't enjoying what is already out and or do have so glimmer of hope left that SOE won't screw it up (in your eyes) and aren't really giving up just yet.

I'm excited because I enjoyed EQ for years and would like to experience something that hasn't been done in mmos to the level that they appear to be attempting. Companies can learn from their past mistakes and improve. Allowing players in on the ground floor is a great step in the right direction.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

I'd like to quote the screeching Chester Bennington;

"In the end it doesn't even matter"

Strong words, strong words. Game will be F2P.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I came off harsh when I started this thread, no excuse. I was simply shocked by the SOE love in other threads and I couldn't understand where it was coming from. I wanted to know quite simply why they were given so much credit when a company like Bethusda  Softworks is being trashed.

They are being given credit for what has been shown on this project and the plans they have laid out for Everquest Next.  Bethesda (or more specifically Zenimax) is getting trashed because of the quality of that specific product and the information they have released. 

Are SoE perfect? Nope. Do they have good games? Yep.

EQ, EQ2 and DCUO have more character than Rift, TERA or any of the billion WoW clones could ever have, so I am quite happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and make an informed decision on the game closer to release.

If you don't trust Sony, then don't follow the game or play it. If you don't like seeing hype and people excited for new MMOs then you probably shouldn't bother visiting this site.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

My intentions were a little more straight forward. If you have a friend who borrows money from you on a promise. He never repays that money and he always has an excuse why its not his fault he cant pay you back. Sooner or later you stop loaning him money, he can still be your friend but you know his promises aren't worth anything.

Thats what SOE is for me, I cant hate them, i played Eq1 for years good times and good memories. I have had fun with them but they suck when it comes to paying off when/what they promise. They have done more harm than good when it comes to the final impression of how they run their company (IMO).

Your friend could also get a job or win the lottery and pay you back and even throw in some interest.

The title is "But this is Sony" and you are correct. Sony has been doing well lately, PS4 looks great and the company seems to be listening to the fans for once. SOE has also been doing well, PS2 is a great game and EQ/EQ2 seem to be doing well for being so old. Still releasing expansions that customers are enjoying. Maybe they are starting to pay people back?

We all have had different experiences with companies and I can't dislike them because they've never done anything to me personally. I might not agree with all their decisions, but I'm playing in their world.

Not sure where you are seeing "SOE love" around here. Most seem to either hate them or are like me and simply don't care. Not many SOE cheerleaders. Being excited for EQN doesn't mean I want to have SOE's babies. I dislike many companies for whatever reason, doesn't mean I don't think they produce good products or even own them myself. World is funny like that.

Where is Bethusda being trashed and for what? TESO? Game looks terrible and Zenimax is to blame for the most part since they are the developers. I'm also not a ES fan so my opinion is of little value, but I sure as heck don't go to TESO forums/sites and go on and on about why I don't like the game or company behind it. I don't have that much free time to waste.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Allein

I don't blindly have faith in companies or their products. I take everything said by devs/suits as hype and that their version of reality might not be what I experience.

With that said, I also have eyes and almost 20 years of online gaming experience and can make judgments with my own little noggin. 

What SOE has done in the past is of little concern to me. EQ and SWG were both great games. Outside influences and the market are what happened to most of SOE products. I highly doubt any company ever goes "hey we are doing great, lets totally screw up our product and see if we get more customers." It is usually the complete opposite.

Next is a new game(s) and so far looks to be the best thing coming out in the mmo world for a while. Few independents look interesting (Pathfinder, Camelot Unchained) but they are far from being fully fleshed out mmos.

I purchased a founder's pack and will take part in alpha and beyond. I'll give my input and will see what SOE has up their sleeves. Since the reveal, they have been honest and followed through with what they have said.

Smedly is a suit. I see him as the Balmer of SOE. He should come with a PR warning label "anything said by me may not be the whole truth." I've never paid him much attention. No clue what he was thinking when he said we'd have something in our hands by the end of the year. Either he was confused or misspoke, either way it doesn't change how I feel. He also isn't working on EQN.

I'm surprised so many people waste their time on forums for games they seem to have no interest in. Don't like SOE or EQN, why bother those that do? Plenty of other games out and coming out to go talk about instead. Makes no sense honestly. The fact that so many of you visit here shows me that you either aren't enjoying what is already out and or do have so glimmer of hope left that SOE won't screw it up (in your eyes) and aren't really giving up just yet.

I'm excited because I enjoyed EQ for years and would like to experience something that hasn't been done in mmos to the level that they appear to be attempting. Companies can learn from their past mistakes and improve. Allowing players in on the ground floor is a great step in the right direction.

Bravo Sir. A voice of reason.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

SoE bashers might be the lowest rung in the mmorpg player ladder

If you don't even realize or acknowledge that SoE couldn't undo the NGE then you are either too stupid or too biased to try to tell other people what to do.  

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

No company is perfect. They all have made great moves and large missteps.

Until the product is out in the open, there is no sense in making pessimistic judgments that are fixated on the past.

Do you know for a fact that EQN will fail? You don't. Do you know it will succeed? Who knows, maybe it will be the long-awaited Wow killer.

Maybe SOE has learned from their mistakes. But the point is only Time will tell.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Remember this is the company:

• 1: that nickle and dimed people to death IN DC Universe (after saying it would always be a subscription)
    • 2: killed SWG with NGE and then refused to roll it back even as subscriptions died by 1000's a day
    • 3: mismanaged security and then treated us all like we were stupid while they took months to fix it
    • 4: ignored devs when they said that eq2 wasn't going to be "awesome"

1: But since they have done some massive work to make the game in to a very fun game that now also looks the part (if you have a PC or a PS4) and the nickel and diming is not even close to as bad a some people make it sound like. With a sub you are pretty much covered for anything you need.

2: I have said it before and i will say it again. NGE was needed. The class system in SWG was broken beyond repair, both as a leveling mechanic and a game play mechanic. Now i am not going to say NGE was implemented in a way that makes any good dang sense and it had most people questioning if there ever was a loving deity. But with out it the game would have died any way... They had no chance to balance the content vs the player. As for doing a roll-back... Well i am pretty sure that by the time it was all said and done it was way to late to do that.

3: Well so did Adobe so i am not going to hold that against them, and we got a fairly nice compensation for it.  (unlike when Adobe lost ALL my info and part of the keys needed to decrypt it... And all we got was a polite letter asking is to not sue them if someone robbed our bank account.. No discount code... no free month of creative cloud... Nada. )

4: Ok i´l give you that one... Can´t say i remeber anyone i know being excited for EQ2

But as it stands right now i´d say i will put my trust in them. DCUO is in a really good spot (especially as the the last and next patch will fix some endgame issues.) Planetside 2 is really fun and they continue to sort of support their older games (apart from PS1... that one is dead) but you also have to be able to sift the facts from the hype. So take the games at face value, what you can see.Leave the rest behind.

This have been a good conversation

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Originally posted by alyndale

I should say that you did much better here after you had some time to breath a little bit. Look, there probably isn't a gaming company in business today that hasn't pissed someone off because of they way they "do business". W hat I'm hoping we can agree on here is that we can ALL get past this because truly, no ones life was changed in any way deviously or with malice.

I see all too many threads here that throw logic to the wind. It seems we have to find fault or some conspiratorial motives with companies that make huge profits off the backs of us poor consumer/gamer types.

SoE doesn't bother me. Nor does Blizzard or NC Soft or the "infamous" EA. I really could care two buckets full of cow spit whether the CEO's of these companies have greed dreams of more and more profits.

I play WoW. EQ 2, Rift, Lineage 2, GW 2 because I choose to, not because I need to read these or any other gaming forums to make my mind up for me!

In conclusion, I suppose we can blow off steam, but maybe what we really need to do is step back and ask is a game worth all this vitriol? Do mmo's really affect us in such ways as to bring forth so much hatred? Really?

God bless us all and forgive...

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I have critique and skepticism too, but not because it is SOE. SOE made SWG, EQ and a lot of MMOs which worked well. Despite some bad decisions. So *shrug*

SOE is prolly THE most experienced MMO developer out there, in terms of numbers. And it'd good to hear they really dare to make some stuff different, at least so far we know. If I critizise stuff, then I critizise details, not because it's SOE.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ButtdartButtdart Member Posts: 34

OP makes all valid points. I've played SOE games since SWG and that whole fiasco.

Smedley is an anomaly, truly. Usually when a company has bad management and something as terrible as with what happened with SWG happens, there's a big shakeup of those who were responsible for the decisions. Smedley has had countless megafails in SOE over the past decade, and yet he is still there, still blowing hot air, and once again, about to rope everyone with the latest hype methods and the latest gimmicky techniques to squeeze a dime.

The best thing I heard about Smedley recently was his praise of EVE; and that's all Smedley can do is praise a game like EVE, because he hasn't had anything that good on his hands since Pre-NGE SWG.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

Remember when Mark Jacobs said "We're going to prove blizzard isn't the only one that can make a good game." A few years later WoW still has millions and Warhammer is closing down.

Sure but what does that have to do with Sony?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson