Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC turns on but nothing on Monitor

2»

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    reset your cmos. I fixed my brothers computer the same way. Turned out the timing for his ram somehow get messed up. his computer would whirl on, not post and the monitor wouldnt turn out. Read the post errors on his mobo and it indicated ram issues. I reset his cmos for him, and presto...worked perfectly.

• HestialHestial Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by zevian

To narrow the problem down,   first take out your video card, and try booting the computer with the onboard video connected.

If you dont expierance the same issue then you found the problem.

I agree with this guy, try with the onboard video first.

Post the model of your graphic card

And how much watts your power supply have?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

A few months ago I had the same issue. Already did what a few here suggested in this topic.

Like OP my system started but nothing on screen. Also removed HD's, soundcard etc....still everything light up on power.

Then I removed my Ram and placed it back, still same issue with was no signal on my monitor. Then tried putting only 1 bar Ram in and then it worked again.

In between I phoned and been to several computer stores to ask for advice before I found the issue myself and they all said the same thing it's either my motherboard or my graphics card. So I am very glad I didn't bring my system to one of those stores because I am almost sure they would have sticked with replacing my motherboard or graphics card.

Bought a complete new set of RAM and my system connects great again with my monitor.

Now I am not saying it can not be OP's motherboard or graphics card but if it's like he said everything seems to start except his monitor it's seems more likely to be a similar issue I had. And oh I also replace my ram often every 2 years. This was the first time I neglected it somewhat to 3 years already.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    from the sound of it, it seems the problem is either his ram, or his mobo, hopefully its just the ram, as its cheap to replace. But there is a free program that can verify whether your ram is working properly, its called prime95, it has a torture test option that verifies the integrity of the cpu and the ram, or just the cpu, by generating long string prime numbers, which is hard work on the CPU/RAM and if any errors are generated, then there is a problem. Its a good tool to test out any new build too as it will not only verify your cpu/ram but also a test of how well your PC can handle heat generation from these components. image
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The problem here is that this particular problem could be any of a number of things.

It could be RAM. It could be the motherboard. It could be a bad video card. It could be three - with a bad power supply that fried both (and any replacement you get will work fine until it fries those too). It could just be a loose cable, or a stray screw, or a failing monitor.

There's no way of knowing without testing all the components.

Just because "You fixed a friends computer" or "You had a computer that did this" doesn't mean that what was wrong with your computer is wrong with this one.

He either needs to do a lot of troubleshooting to isolate the problem, take it in and have it looked at by someone he trusts, or just bite the bullet and replace it.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Have you tried unplugging either or both power to the monitor and the cable to the monitor.

I get this sometimes and thats the fix.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by kevjards
    I get this crap all the time with my base unit and monitor.its like the base unit or card doesn't recognise the monitor.i have to switch the monitor on the same time has the base unit otherwise I get nothing.even if I switch the monitor on 2 seconds after the base unit I get nothing.pain in the arse..and I got a good system..but like all pc's they fuck up.

I build my pc's for years now nvidia and amd and ive almost np at all.

No knowledge of hardware and software(main couse of problems) faulty use of pc no maintenance from time to time cheap parts.

Miss use of internet click all links download crap visit vicious sites get all kinds of virus malware.

Its not a console guys, PC needs more knowledge, then pushing a button and play:P

Do some research before buying a PC it will safe you alot of trouble.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Ridelynn
    The problem here is that this particular problem could be any of a number of things.It could be RAM. It could be the motherboard. It could be a bad video card. It could be three - with a bad power supply that fried both (and any replacement you get will work fine until it fries those too). It could just be a loose cable, or a stray screw, or a failing monitor.There's no way of knowing without testing all the components. Just because "You fixed a friends computer" or "You had a computer that did this" doesn't mean that what was wrong with your computer is wrong with this one. He either needs to do a lot of troubleshooting to isolate the problem, take it in and have it looked at by someone he trusts, or just bite the bullet and replace it.

It could also be software related no updates no bios update a install few years old its not always hardware related.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 103
    i think its your comp telling you dont waste its time by turning me on , no worth while mmo's to play