Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nether or Unholy Wars on Steam sale, which one?

SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

Wondering which to pick up for over the holidays. I had wondered about picking up the DayZ stand alone but I hear its worse at the moment then the mod (zombie bugs) so I'll stick to the mod for the time being. So basically I have 15$ to blow and was thinking about picking up one of these titles. Any help on making my decision?

Thanks

Comments

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Pass on Nether. I bought it a few weeks ago. Its fun for a sec but loses its luster fast. By the time the next sale comes along it might be complete. Never played UW but prob a better bet.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Redcor
    Pass on Nether. I bought it a few weeks ago. Its fun for a sec but loses its luster fast. By the time the next sale comes along it might be complete. Never played UW but prob a better bet.

Thanks for the heads up. I am actually considering Rust now as well. I am rather nervous of players having admin rights to servers though.

Unholy Wars has had some recent patches.....really on the fence on that one....Dammit this is hard.

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Darkfall UW, no doubts. You won't regret it. Long term game, tons of things to do, to level, deep crafting, deep player driven economy, pvp everywhere, open world pvp, sieges, player owned cities they have to defend, politics between clans and alliances, action fps combat, different classes, lot of different mobs for pve and dungeons... Just join a clan very quickly, you will enjoy the game much more.
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Holy run on sentence batman!!

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

Originally posted by Sephros
    Holy run on sentence batman!!

Since grammorpg (see what I did there) is not on the list, have any input? Thanks for the points on DF:UW!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

here's the problem you've listed 3 incomplete and buggy games as your choices. so, instead of asking which one is lesser of two other evils, maybe you should ask yourself: which of these games is going to get the time and attention it needs to bring it up to par?

personally, i think that leaves only one decision. read up on the DF:UW forums, it's a mess. all of it. the company included. Nether looks interesting, but it's another unknown company with no proven track record amongst its developers. that leaves DayZ. if the ffa pvp experience is what you're after then i think DayZ is your best bet for your money.

however, if you literally have nothing to do with that 15bucks like go see the Hobbit, buy a cool book or album, then ya throw at DF:UW.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Reply to OP,

Both games blow, your best bet is to just wait for a better title to go on sale on Steam. Give it a few more days and wait till you see more games hit the 75% off mark.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by aspekx

here's the problem you've listed 3 incomplete and buggy games as your choices. so, instead of asking which one is lesser of two other evils, maybe you should ask yourself: which of these games is going to get the time and attention it needs to bring it up to par?

personally, i think that leaves only one decision. read up on the DF:UW forums, it's a mess. all of it. the company included. Nether looks interesting, but it's another unknown company with no proven track record amongst its developers. that leaves DayZ. if the ffa pvp experience is what you're after then i think DayZ is your best bet for your money.

however, if you literally have nothing to do with that 15bucks like go see the Hobbit, buy a cool book or album, then ya throw at DF:UW.

This! 

Remember there are plenty of crappy Free games on Steam too. If you really, really hate yourself, though, then I'd go with Unholy Wars. Not only because it's such a mess, but that you get to pay monthly for it. Just make sure to question yourself a few times a month as to why you're paying for that crap. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I highly recommend UW.  Definitely a breath of fresh air in the current stale MMO market.  Get acclimated in the safe zone and start killing some mobs.  Join a clan that has a city and play with them.  Focus spending your prowess into one role to be pvp competitive early.  If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

I'd recommend trying DF:UW.  It is definitely different and has a lot of promise...but whether the dev team follows through on that is another story.

The game is so different than anything else on the market, it's worth trying just for that.  Who knows, you might love it.

The downside though is you need to spend $30, not $15.

The game is on sale for $15ish and then you have to buy the sub for $15.

• aspectofgoreaspectofgore Member Posts: 17
    Try Darkfall, it is fun, I am not really a fan of Nethers 64 player servers

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by indef

I'd recommend trying DF:UW.  It is definitely different and has a lot of promise...but whether the dev team follows through on that is another story.

The game is so different than anything else on the market, it's worth trying just for that.  Who knows, you might love it.

the game comes with 30 days of playtime, so you don't have to pay monthly fee at the beginning (only if you want to continue playing after the first month :)

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I highly recommend UW.  Definitely a breath of fresh air in the current stale MMO market.  Get acclimated in the safe zone and start killing some mobs.  Join a clan that has a city and play with them.  Focus spending your prowess into one role to be pvp competitive early.  If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

This.  They are finally back patching in more improvements and content.  Highly recommended if you are tired of linear quest hub themepark MMO's.  I've not played the other games but I don't think they are full MMO's.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by aspekx

This! 

Remember there are plenty of crappy Free games on Steam too. If you really, really hate yourself, though, then I'd go with Unholy Wars. Not only because it's such a mess, but that you get to pay monthly for it. Just make sure to question yourself a few times a month as to why you're paying for that crap. 

and This again. I'd recommend avoiding DF:UW like the plague but if you really do hate yourself and want to throw your money to the worst MMO developer ever that just wants you money and will blow smoke up your ass with promises they never deliver on then Aventurine/DFUW is your poison. Note you'll be lucky to get a few sentences out of them every 3-4 months most of which will just be more BS whiile you keep paying $15 every month to beta test but someone has to keep paying their bills,,better you then me.  

Haha, I love the input. I appreciate it. I didn't mention that I am a serial mmo buyer/tryer. I have played everything released that was pve......need something until April 2014. Given that I already have dayz mod installed I think I'll go with DFUW. I mean its only 15$ and my wow sub has been cancelled for some time now. Seems it will offer the most for 15$ and if I doesnt I'm sure they will be more to buy cheap on steam! Thanks again.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Redcor

yeah...nether is in the good idea stage...but horrible realization, I would give it a pass right now.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BruthorBruthor Member Posts: 7

I own all three of these games (not including RUST). I feel like my opinion is pretty valid due to having played these games at least fairly extensively (DayZ Mod was played for hundreds of hours, Standalone for about 10, Darkfall for hundreds of hours, and Nether for about 8). 

Darkfall

This is the main game I wanted to talk about with you. I remember enjoying every moment of the game when I played, I loved the fact that the game had Open World PvP Combat, Sieges, Player owned and created Cities (Guilds owned them, if you were in their alliance OR in their guild, you could set the city to be your home), Player owned housing (you acquire a deed through treasure maps, but they're so rare that I did them very often and never got one, the top tiered ones are very expensive), crafting, open world non-instanced dungeons, etc. The game had a lot going on, but why did I quit? 

The forums are abysmal, constant negativity. But they do point out some very good points typically, revealing the core problems of the game explicitly. I mean yes, the graphics aren't the best, yes there are bugs (not very common though, not like in Mortal Online), and yes the gameplay is pretty clunky in general, but the main problem is the developing team. They make promises and give very specific dates to release new updates and/or fixes, and during my time of playing, they never pulled through. Its been months, so I'd expect that the updates that everyone was waiting on had already arrived, but there's no doubt in my mind that they've continued this trend and are pissing off more players as we speak. I'm fine with paying ~$5-7 a month for this sort of service, but $15 a month, hell no. Due to some personal decisions and regrets I made during that game (I allocated my prowess very poorly), and the fact they ended up taking down the previous Darkfall altogether, only 3 years after its initial launch, means that they'll probably do the same thing to Unholy Wars when they decide to make a Darkfall 3.0 and I don't want to be a part of it. 

I often still think about Darkfall, wondering what things are like now a days, considering starting back up every now and then, but then I think about more quality games that are coming out soon and I'm able to resist.

TL;DR - Cool game, clunky, $15 a month, bad developers who make promises they can't keep, previous dakfall was shut down only 3 years after they launched it so that could happen to this one too, more polished and higher quality games coming out within the next few months.

DayZ Standalone

Currently, the standalone isn't anything at all what the Mod was. Yes there are a ton of UI / Mechanical / Graphical / AI-based improvements, but its missing some of the elements that made the game truly enjoyable for me; tents, animals, vehicles, and the variety of guns. I love the game to death, but characters are getting wiped very often too as a result of some of these updates (which they're doing a VERY solid job at, they've had like 3 or 4 updates and hotfixes so far and the game has only been out for a few days). Once more updates come out, and the aforementioned things that are missing are brought into the game, then I'd say it's worth a purchase, Rocket pretty much said the exact same thing himself in the DayZ forums. There's a lot more to talk about, like how the Community is a lot better, Hacking still exists, etc etc, but I don't have the time right now. I personally think that this game is your best bet, especially if you have friends, but you must wait for them to resolve these issues (which they'll do likely within the next month).

Nether

The only way I can explain this game is to compare it to DayZ. Just like in the current DayZ Standalone, there are no tents, vehicles, or animals. There's definitely a decent variety in regards to the amount of weaponry, but that's about it. The Nether AI is actually pretty damn good, and I like the idea of a variety of enemies with different abilities and types, this is pretty much the only thing that Nether has over DayZ in my opinion. The company behind Nether has expressed no interest in bringing in the aforementioned items that DayZ Standalone also currently lacks but promises to incorporate soon. Nether has a cash shop which could give off this "Pay to Win" vibe. It also has a safe zone, and a little place to store all of your items without fear of ever losing them, much like in Darkfall. This is a big difference from DayZ, which forces you to build a tent (once they implement it) and hope that you are able to successfully store and hide your loot from other players, and encourages you to go hunting for other players' loot. It makes possessing the rarest of items less significant. The entire game its self isn't quite as significant as DayZ, the map is a lot smaller (at least the last time I played, I heard they were working on improving it, but there's no way I can fathom it being anywhere near as large as DayZ's), and just about everything you do in that game feels like nothing really makes an impact or matters. 

Summary

DayZ is your best bet due to the fact the developers have proven that they're going to be quick about releasing updates and the enhancements from the Mod to the Game are very significant and make purchasing the game completely worth it. Darkfall's subscription fee is set too high to bare with the developers, its clunky and could shut down at any moment much like its predecessor. Nether is a lot smaller in regards to map size and a lot less significant due to the fact it incorporates a safezone and banking system, not worth it at all. 

Feel free to add me on Steam if you have any more questions: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sterlin22/

Originally posted by treyu86
    Originally posted by indef

the game comes with 30 days of playtime, so you don't have to pay monthly fee at the beginning (only if you want to continue playing after the first month :)

Did not know that.  Thanks for correcting me.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Those three games are terrible, if you like the idea of df, buy RUST

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Originally posted by KatlaOdindottir

The few people that I know that quit Darkfall to play Rust all returned back to Darkfall.  They say RUST just gets boring and does not have the "staying to playing" power of Darkfall.

RUST is way more comparable to DayZ than Darkfall..so I'm not sure your outlook is valid.  It's also in early access alpha, as well as DayZ.

DayZ and RUST also aren't MMOs...there are servers with player caps.  So I'm not sure why you'd compare RUST to DF:UW.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

Good point, could only compare RUST to df1 because uw provides no adrenaline or thrill what so ever.

DF:UW is dead, it has no player base. From a pvp pov of coursey ou can compare uw to RUST.

Also aventurine are one of the worst gaming companies ever. DF forums has max 180 people at any given time now, down from 2-3k at launch, because the company behind it do not know what they're doing, so please don't try and say uw is a breath of fresh air etc when it really isn't.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Good point, could only compare RUST to df1 because uw provides no adrenaline or thrill what so ever.

DF:UW is dead, it has no player base. From a pvp pov of coursey ou can compare uw to RUST.

UW is not dead.  Far from it.  This was a siege last week of a hamlet.  There are plenty of people fighting for stuff.

Installing DFUW as I post this. The intro music at least rocks!
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Rust is pretty epic fun so far. Im ex DF player.