Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Endless Free Trial Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion and the Defiance team have announced what is being called an "endless free trial" for the sci-fi MMO. Players can participate in the endless free trial for an unlimited time and can enjoy a new EGO level cap of 500 in the process.

Head to the Defiance site for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    I wonder how many will ask for refunds as a result of this....
  • MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    I just hope the show lasts cause i really like it and its satisfying my scifi fix
  • AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69
    The game could really use the players. Seemed pretty empty last time I checked it out, but I didn't play for long. I wonder what is so "trial" about the free trial though. Are there any restrictions, or is it just avoiding calling the game free-to-play?

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I love what Trion did with Rift, but the overwhelming "MEH" that players expressed about this game prevented me from plunking down a bunch of money to check it out.  If I could try it for free on my Xbox 360 or PS4 I would be willing to check it out, though.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Darwa
    I wonder how many will ask for refunds as a result of this....

This game is so good, even the gamers who play it for free will be asking for a refund.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    When I used to play shooters I never once thought to myself: "You know what this game needs? A thousand more people doing this at the same time!" I just don't get why a shooter needs to be "massive."

It also doesn't help that their site sucks. I've been there a few times in the past and it has shit for info on this game.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AvaritaAvarita Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Well limit 500 is pretty damn low, if at least 1000 to make them hook up.. 500 is way to low.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I just started playing it last night, and meh is a pretty accurate way of describing the game. If I never played it again I probably wouldn't feel like I missed anything....which probably isn't the best way to have someone feel about your game after day one.

They already had a free trial and the game is only $10. A better free trial isn't want's wrong with the game or what was missing.

The character models are all pretty awful, I thought something was wrong with my resolution or something. I was running like I'd just took a dump in my pants and I needed to find a bathroom.  The game really feels indie but obviously it's not. 

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    You know what this game could really benefit from? Collision detection.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Firefall has the personality of an empty piece of land with a COMING SOON sign and a picture of a shopping mall. Don't even go there.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Firefall has the personality of an empty piece of land with a COMING SOON sign and a picture of a shopping mall. Don't even go there.

HAHAHAHAH...that's so frickin true

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    LOL, I pre-ordered and never even made it to ego level 500.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    This game had a great story upto the main villan Nim- then it just.....
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    The idea wasn't bad, but I agree it needs something to spice it up during the season breaks. I think this isn't a bad move, with this endles free trial the game will be much more vivid when season 2 starts.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Braindome
    You know what this game could really benefit from? Collision detection.

QFT!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Console MMO's always have problems with retaining players, strictly because the console owners are always playing what has come out lately.  You need a really superior game to keep them occupied and this one is not it.

I agree with the above, collision detection is a must with a pvp game which hurts this game.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I really enjoy the game, but if they don't do something seriously amazing before Destiny comes out I think they are screwed.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    shadow wars was the best pvp hands down of any FPS shooter. it just got ruined by the hacks. devs put damage modifiers CLIENT SIDE. within days of the release people were 1-shooting everything in ark falls, even the final boss. its a shame, shadow wars really is the best pvp out of any FPS out there.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I really enjoy the game, but if they don't do something seriously amazing before Destiny comes out I think they are screwed.

You think Destiny will be better?  I will bet destiny will fold faster than Defiance because they won't have the benefit of pc players sticking around.  Wishful thinking does not make a good game.

As to Defiance's UI, it is what you get with any game made for consoles and then converted over to pc play.  Poor UI.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I Think Defiance is a great game..

It plays smoothly, has alot of fun mini games , just love to do those time trials.

It's a blast to just sink in a few hours of mindless shooting :)

¨The reputation and countless negetive critique it get's is just very odd, there is not many games like this (If any) ..

Don't really understand what it is that bugs players, the UI has been re-done to better suit the PC, basically it's great fun. 

Ok, Borderlands 2 is better but that game only holds 4 players...

The only negative thing I have to say about It is that Arkfalls often feels to easy , IT's just empty clip upon clip, but it's also not strange why , since there is Always a ton of players rushing to them ..and ...surge ;)

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Finally the price is reasonable. But I still wont come back, sadly. Just nothing worth logging every day.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    LOL, I pre-ordered and never even made it to ego level 500.

Same here....Meh

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by thark

I Think Defiance is a great game..

It plays smoothly, has alot of fun mini games , just love to do those time trials.

It's a blast to just sink in a few hours of mindless shooting :)

¨The reputation and countless negetive critique it get's is just very odd, there is not many games like this (If any) ..

Don't really understand what it is that bugs players, the UI has been re-done to better suit the PC, basically it's great fun. 

Ok, Borderlands 2 is better but that game only holds 4 players...

The only negative thing I have to say about It is that Arkfalls often feels to easy , IT's just empty clip upon clip, but it's also not strange why , since there is Always a ton of players rushing to them ..and ...surge ;)

I agree, the game mechanics are a lot of fun, the combat is about the best I've played in an mmo, the racing and vehicles are superb and the main story made a great single-player play-through.  Unfortunately there was only enough content for a weeks worth of evenings and weekends.  The UI, chat and social functions are also dreadful.

The 500 EGO cap seems odd to me as you can experience everything the game has to offer (and probably get quite bored of it) before you hit that cap.  

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by achesoma
    When I used to play shooters I never once thought to myself: "You know what this game needs? A thousand more people doing this at the same time!" I just don't get why a shooter needs to be "massive."

It also doesn't help that their site sucks. I've been there a few times in the past and it has shit for info on this game.

Whenever I play Defiance, I only really see players in places you'd want to see them: co-op maps, pvp, shadow wars, hubs, and sieges/arkfalls. Otherwise you're pretty much alone.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

As a game goes, it is not bad. It is pretty good if you have a couple of friends to play with. Arkfalls are pretty good and varied to a degree. However, once you get to a certain point, the game really gets repetitive.

As to a 500 "limit", there is not much of a change between 500 and 1000 points. The advantages given are so small that you not miss them much in game.

My biggest disappointment has been that there is not enough tie-in between the game and the show. The show takes place in St. Louis and the game in the San Francisco area. It is not like characters are traveling the "wastes" every week of the TV show to get  from one to the other. In fact, I find the limitation of the show is the fact that they don't get out into the wastes that much. Wish they would have just centered the show around the two main characters doing nothing but going cross country then having it anchored in one place.

Let's party like it is 1863!