Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC turns on but nothing on Monitor

angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Hey All,

So a few months ago I started having an issue where I would turn my PC on and it would turn on and I could see the kybd and mouse LEDs turn on but nothing would appear on my Monitor. I checked the serial cables and everything seemed fine.

I rebooted a few times and then I would finally get visual.

This happened often. In heinsight the PC also froze a few times playing FFXIV:ARR. I ran a Antivirus scan and my PC reboot so I thought maybe it was i/o or RAM. So I took out a stick of RAM (1/3, all 4GB each). The issue seemed to have gone away but it started again last week and I took out another stick and the issue stopped until last night. I do not power off all that much so maybe that is why it seemed to have been fixed but maybe it really wasn't.

Could the underlining issue be something other than bad RAM? The sticks are roughly 2 or 3 years old and are Corsair.  The PC is same age as RAM so roughly 2 or 3 years and the MB is a Gigabyte.

Any suggestions would be great,

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I just started getting the same issue as you.  I would start my computer and see the bios screen then it will go dark during the os loading and not display anything until I cycle the power button on my monitor.  I'm not sure what the problem is.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• AvaglaorAvaglaor Member UncommonPosts: 25

Most of the times is RAM but yes could be something else as well like, Motherboard fault (worst scenario), PSU or even hard disk problem.

Remove all the memories and unplug the hard drives from the motherboard , then swich on your pc. If it is RAM problem then you should get an error and the bipper sound if there is one.

If the same problem is happening without any RAM and HDD on your motherboard then u must start worrying for your motherboard. 

EDIT: If there is no bipper on you motherboard u wont be able to know if the motherboard warning for not RAM installed.

• HestialHestial Member Posts: 8

Do you have a dedicated graphics card?

And verify if your drivers are up to date, and also if your power suply it's giving enogh voltage

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Hestial

Do you have a dedicated graphics card?

And verify if your drivers are up to date, and also if your power suply it's giving enogh voltage

Yeah I only have 1 graphics card and the drivers are up to date. Not sure how to check if my Power Supply is giving enough Voltage though.

For <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/stayontarget"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/stayontarget"; title="View information about stayontarget" suhlink"="">stayontarget we actually have different issues because when this happens the screen stays off the whole time. I do not see any posting, no bios information..nothing.

• ArmendiusArmendius Member UncommonPosts: 119

Hi,

To see power watage should be a label on the side of the PSU, and then when you found it I would lookup the graphicscards needs to get a rough idea if its enough.

The screen is it black with lightbleeding or is it standby like it cannot find the source (graphics card) and go in standby then you should see no light bleeding.

I would also try put on the computer first then the monitor after some seconds.

The memory 3 sticks could give a problem if 2 are a kit and one is seperate.

If your mainbord has a MEMOK button you could press it to let it scan the memory.

But I dont realy believe its that because then it should give beep sounds from the mainboard if it cause it not to start.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Up date bios - update all software.

Dont use a cheap PSU.

Make sure your case is dustfree.

Dont pull out devices in your case while powercord still plugged.

Don't stick with old OS install  format and clean install from time to time at least ones a year as minimum.

Good luck.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

Hey All,

So a few months ago I started having an issue where I would turn my PC on and it would turn on and I could see the kybd and mouse LEDs turn on but nothing would appear on my Monitor. I checked the serial cables and everything seemed fine.

This happened often. In heinsight the PC also froze a few times playing FFXIV:ARR. I ran a Antivirus scan and my PC reboot so I thought maybe it was i/o or RAM. So I took out a stick of RAM (1/3, all 4GB each). The issue seemed to have gone away but it started again last week and I took out another stick and the issue stopped until last night. I do not power off all that much so maybe that is why it seemed to have been fixed but maybe it really wasn't.

Could the underlining issue be something other than bad RAM? The sticks are roughly 2 or 3 years old and are Corsair.  The PC is same age as RAM so roughly 2 or 3 years and the MB is a Gigabyte.

If you are using Windows 8, I would say "weather the storm." I got brand new computer components and I get the same result as you, I'm even able to catch a culprit sometimes 

CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION

or something along those lines.  Windows 8 (which I'm assuming you have like me lol...) is just broken at its core and they are still band-aiding it.

• HawthornHawthorn Member UncommonPosts: 43

Had this happen in an older pc before.  Turned out it's power supply was the fault.  Fans would run, keyboard lit up and mouse lit up but wouldn't boot.

• ArmendiusArmendius Member UncommonPosts: 119

Sounds odd windows 8.1 if the problem started months ago.

I think its a source problem. I have windows 8.1 and it runs great only not for some games that use xtrap or such then it gets critical error and restart my pc .

With my Dell monitor I need to put pc on first then monitor or it go off and cannot find the source

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Not sure what kind of graphics card you have but if its Nvidia this may help. Apparently none of Nvidia's new drivers are optimized for any graphics card pre mid 600 series. I was having this exact problem when I started running their new drivers for BF4. If you have a pre 650 card I would suggest downloading the 314.22 drivers and then doing a complete wipe of your current drivers. Install 314.22 and you should be fine. I haven't had a problem since I did so.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

Hey All,

Bad motherboard. Motherboards fail more often than memory.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

If you're not even getting the computer to POST, then video drivers aren't the culprit, as that's before drivers get loaded.

I'd try reseating some things:  unplug cables and cards and so forth and plug them back in.  Switch to a different monitor port, different PCI Express slot, different power supply plugs, and so forth if you can, and see if that makes any difference.

Actually, how about if you post your complete system specs?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Do you see any leaking capacitors?
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    I get this crap all the time with my base unit and monitor.its like the base unit or card doesn't recognise the monitor.i have to switch the monitor on the same time has the base unit otherwise I get nothing.even if I switch the monitor on 2 seconds after the base unit I get nothing.pain in the arse..and I got a good system..but like all pc's they fuck up.
  • zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Some times it is a matter of the faulty part working until it reaches a specific heat range, then it just dies!

If you have a second computer or laptop that you can plug the monitor in to, you will be able to check if it is the monitor!

If it is a gfx card issue, switch to another one.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I had a similar problem when I added a 2nd hdd to my pc, but was able to get a screen back after I reset the cmos battery.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    its most likly psu or gfx card. brother pc has the same issue and his is the gfx card
  • StalkerousStalkerous Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I had the same issue you're having right now, it is the motherboard. Sometimes when a motherboard has a short or a bad chip it mind cause these kind of issues.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Stalkerous
    I had the same issue you're having right now, it is the motherboard. Sometimes when a motherboard has a short or a bad chip it mind cause these kind of issues.

he said the computer was startign up but not posting anythign to the monitor its the gfx card it sounds like its going out bets bet is maybe fidn a cheapy 1 and see if it post as soon as you add it or something or just say f it and buy  a newer card to start another build.

if it was the mother board the pc wouldnt even boot up not just not show a picture

• StalkerousStalkerous Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by Stalkerous

he said the computer was startign up but not posting anythign to the monitor its the gfx card it sounds like its going out bets bet is maybe fidn a cheapy 1 and see if it post as soon as you add it or something or just say f it and buy  a newer card to start another build.

if it was the mother board the pc wouldnt even boot up not just not show a picture

I know what he said, and you should read what I said, geez you just don't know how to read. Motherboard problems could cause all sorts of problems with different components of hardware, and the PC would still work but it will have malfunctions. With my Gigabyte motherboard I had the same issues OP is having, with one of the graphic cards that I have it told me I had no signal on the monitor, when I changed to a different card it work fine for a month and then started to give me the same issue. AND yes I was able to still use BIOS and see the boot posts. After I switched that Gigabyte motherboard and changed to AsRock motherboard and used the same card that I first had used with the previous board, everything worked without any hitches.

I'm tech and I've been dealing with PCs for 16 years now, I've seem all sorts of things happen with PCs, things that others haven't even heard of before. I learned the hard way "Hands on" as they say. Also, @ OP, don't buy cheap parts for PC, spend $100 more and get better parts that are more expensive, because right now "you get, what you pay for". The more the part costs the longer it will last and more stable it will be.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

OP, do this every time you go to turn your PC on from now on.

Turn your monitor on first. You should get something showing on your monitor about no input. This will tell you that your monitor is ready to receive a signal from the PC.

Now, turn your PC on and keep your eyes on your monitor.

Within just a few seconds you should see SOMETHING change on the monitor, the black getting a little lighter at least. If it DOES get this, it is receiving a signal.

Now, watch for the motherboards bios splash screen. If you get this, your video card IS sending a signal which means your card is fine and its another problem. If you do NOT see this, or at least the PC makers splash screen (Dell, Compaq, Acer) then it means you are having Video Card issues and odds are, its starting to go out on you.

Its simple. Your video card driver loads when Windows is starting to load. The initial motherboard and maker splash screens are basic signals being sent through your card, any card can display them and thus not require a driver. Being able to see these screens will tell you if its a card or driver issue.

It should not be anything else causing this. As you stated before, your system was giving you problems while playing FFXIv with locking up and rebooting, odds are it overheated your card and perhaps to the point of damaging it. Same thing happened to my nephew, the game kept overheating his card and it eventually went out on him.

The reason why it isn't a cord connection issue is due to the randomness of it, if it was a loose cord, it would go out just by wiggling it. And for a power issue, Power issues aren't random, the moment you start getting power issues, you have it until its fixed. It wont fluctuate. Since its happening even just when turning your PC on, it cant be due to your card drawing too much power to cool itself off.

My money is on a dying card.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Psion33
    If you are using Windows 8, I would say "weather the storm." I got brand new computer components and I get the same result as you, I'm even able to catch a culprit sometimes  CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTIONor something along those lines.  Windows 8 (which I'm assuming you have like me lol...) is just broken at its core and they are still band-aiding it.

Nope, it's not Windows 8.

It's highly likely it's bad hardware, but not necessarily. Hard to say what though - that's a classic sign of "time to buy new computer". It could be as simple as a loose video cable.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    I've had this same issue, turned out to be my motherboard.
  • DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    deleted mmorpg is jacked up atm
  • zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

To narrow the problem down,   first take out your video card, and try booting the computer with the onboard video connected.

If you dont expierance the same issue then you found the problem.