Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is your ram this low?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    wow that is kind of surprising, i guess a lot of people have some really low end computers.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    I bought a PC back in 2007 that had 8gb's. Not saying that this isn't accurate, because I honestly don't know, but that's crazy that more people don't have more ram. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

Not really sure... Those charts are extremely hard for me to read and make sense of but I'm not too surprised.

I ran my PC with only 3gb of ram for the past 5+ years and I have never had issues with running out of ram so I never upgraded (until recently with the sales, I figured why not and got 8gb).

You have to think about how that poll was taken. Was it prominently featured on their website? Was it somewhere obscure where not many people saw it? What kind of people would even be interested in participating in the poll?

It's a game development community so most likely gamers but which kind? The super hardcore ones or the average person who maybe is more casual and not an enthusiast? In fact how large was the pool these stats were taken from? It looks like they used their "web player" to gather this data which I'm ASSUMING means it probably came from flash sites like kongregate... You don't need much ram to run those games.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by greenreen

I think their stats are off on this page. What do you think?

http://stats.unity3d.com/web/mem.html

I haven't had ram as low as they consider an average for a looooooong time.

It shows 8GB: 4.7% - seriously??? This computer I'm using has 10GB and it's not ultra modern.

My 60+ year old mother has 4-8GB from a computer she probably got off QVC.

Adding a poll if you just want to tick something. I can't go by the PC show off thread because those are probably the high enders.

How is your computer running 10g?  Two 4g sticks and one 2g? one 8g and one 2g?  If you truly are running 10gigs you have mismatched memory. Even tri channel should be 3,6,12, ect.

Might wanna have a look if that was not a typo.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

My PC is going on 3 years old now, 12GB of ram here but I require it because I do 3D design and I multitask.

They are correct on the average though because most people are not gamers and buy stock systems which mostly come with the requirements for whichever version of Windows is installed on it. 4GB is enough for the average PC user.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

It's not just about how much RAM you have but what brand and specs of your memory. Certain memory you can even tweak by overclocking it.

So someone that has....say 10gb RAM of a generic brand verses something like 8gb RAM of Gskill or another high performance brand that you can overclock and tweak other factors the 8gb RAM computer is going to out perform your basic 10gb period.

You also need to look at the specs of the memory. Are you running 1333mhz or 1600mhz? Those are two types of memory but there is other memory that runs at faster mhz than those 2, it's all relative.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

I think I would have to agree with you on 4gb for the average PC user/gamer. The only game I wasn't able to run well was Firefall and that left only 100mb (yes mb) of free ram. It would often freeze and even started crashing with all the new stuff they added.

If I had just 1 more gb of ram I would have been able to run it fine I think, and no other game has really pushed my ram THAT far. I typically had 500mb remaining on average for higher end games.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

since I'm not using more than 8 GB of RAM when gaming I don't see why I'd NEED MORE than 8 GB.

If I were using Photoshop and doing ultra high res. psd files then I guess I'd go for 32 GB so I'd always have enough RAM, but for my gaming purposes 8 gigs is just fine for now.

Just because you have huge RAM doesn't mean you actually use all of it, nor does it make your PC run faster ;)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I had 4x4GB sticks but my MB is optimal using numbers in 3's so I used 12GB. Then I started taking sticks out because of other issues I believe may be RAM related and now I am running with 4GB (although I really do not see any difference)
  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Talking about PC gamesplayers Steam comes a bit closer to what I expected.

I also believe they have a bigger sample: http://store.steamgames.com/hwsurvey

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

I made the move to 16GB about 4 years ago, I have since moved to 16GB on my work machine. I could honestly scrape by with 8GB on either for the most part.. but why scrape by for such a small cost of RAM today.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by greenreen

I think their stats are off on this page. What do you think?

http://stats.unity3d.com/web/mem.html

Why so suprised? If people can do whatever they want to with 4GB of RAM, why would they buy more? I switched from 4 to 8 just recently, because I went more into 3D sculpting in zbrush, so I needed the extra. I was doing fine with 4GB on my zbrush though. I couldn't do very crisp details, but for game props it was fine enough. 3D Maya did crash when too high poly, but I was still doing fine with 4 gigs. Now with 8 I do ultra fine. I can't imagine what would I need to do to need more, probably some cinema production quality rendering. If I was a regular user, with no 3D apps, just games and internet I would probably stick with 4GB a little bit longer.

If someone is obsessed with numbers, and likes to do overkill PC builds that will last two years anyway, because new technology will render the super old technology useless, then by all means, go ahead.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    I have 18gb @ 1950
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Isn't Unity a web browser engine? In which case it would make sense that the specs of the average machine playing their games would be low.
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by shane242

I made the move to 16GB about 4 years ago, I have since moved to 16GB on my work machine. I could honestly scrape by with 8GB on either for the most part.. but why scrape by for such a small cost of RAM today.

Exactly this.  I actually remember when RAM was $50 per MEGAbyte .. Not Gigabyte.  Yeah, that was a long time ago.  I had a lot more money to throw around then as well.

RAM is incredibly cheap now.  It's ridiculous not to at least make the move to 8gb imho.

• r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Built pc around 4 -6 months ago, 8gig plenty for me only ever have a game, browser and media player going at the same time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Those are stats from Unity's Web Player. You have to remember a lot of them are going to be work and school computers.