Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Vindictus: Hurk - A Hero Full of Rage

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com has teamed up with Nexon to bring our users a first look at Hurk, a hero full of rage. We've got exclusive information and a great new Hurk video to share so hop through the link and check it out.

Hurk, a mysterious new mercenary, may look like a handsome young adventurer, but he hides a dark secret. He's often found in the shadowy corners of inns, brooding over a mug of ale. Other warriors know to avoid him- Hurk's temper is short, and sparking it means signing your own death warrant.

When he hears the sound of steel clashing against steel, Hurk becomes a bloodthirsty berserker. With his mighty sword, Hurk has been known to chop enemies in half, and cut through hordes of Fomors in a heartbeat. 

Read more Vindictus: Hurk - A Hero Full of Rage.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• raskull789raskull789 Member Posts: 22
    Sooo... jump to conclusions and make accusations. You sound like the evening news.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by DMKano

The name could be misconstrued as a cruel joke for "hulk" in many asian countries.

Not sure if intentional, if it is, it's pretty tasteless.

You act like you never seen parodies of popular characters before

like Deadpool is to Deathstroke or Dan in street fighter is a parody of SNK characters

• kingtofukingtofu Member UncommonPosts: 98

I downloaded this game months ago to try and after a huge download and patching, I was gutted to find out it can't be played in New Zealand, seemed to be region locked to certain countries.

Guessing probably the same for Australians too.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by kingtofu

I downloaded this game months ago to try and after a huge download and patching, I was gutted to find out it can't be played in New Zealand, seemed to be region locked to certain countries.

Guessing probably the same for Australians too.

The great irony is there is a dedicated Australian server but they won't let Kiwis play on it. Probably has something to do with licensing and publishing rights to that region. You could try the Chinese server as they don't region lock.

• JaegershotJaegershot Member Posts: 1

yeah theres an australia server that got paired with the east and west north american servers. from what i hear its got more problems and less players tho. you would have to play the chinese version or sneak into other regions on a proxy but then u would have to suffer extreme lag all day every day.

also hurk was just a random name given to a hypothetical character on the vindi NA forums. the popularity was enough to finally make a character named hurk. and vella was originally an april fools joke. and karok is kalok in asia but im pretty sure they dont call hurk hulk

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    It's impossible that they came up with this name without thinking on Hulk.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I wonder if he's compensating for something...
  • OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by raskull789
    Sooo... jump to conclusions and make accusations. You sound like the evening news.

Read my post again - it's pure speculation, not a conclusion or an accusation. 

It could be innocent or  intentional, I just commented that *IF* <- key word, it is deliberate it's tasteless.

Hurk could easily be a reference to Hercules. If you look at Hurk's Berserk Mode and Berserker from Fate/stay Night series they both have a glowing red right eye and they both use a big weapon to fight with. A little bit more believable to more then it being a reference to the Hulk. 

• SchuMidasSchuMidas Member CommonPosts: 8

great game, but i cant play it due to IP block, and tiring to play f2p game with a tunnel to bypass IP block.

whooppss spoiler

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by SchuMidas

great game, but i cant play it due to IP block, and tiring to play f2p game with a tunnel to bypass IP block.

whooppss spoiler

You are not missing anything it is not a great game.  There are far better ones in this category.  This game gets so repetitive it will put you to sleep.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

No idea what this game is, but that sword stabbing and cutting animation at the end there is probably the coolest melee animation I've ever seen.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

whooppss spoiler

You are not missing anything it is not a great game.  There are far better ones in this category.  This game gets so repetitive it will put you to sleep.

Please tell me what other far better games there are in this category. 

• raskull789raskull789 Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by azonic69

whooppss spoiler

The only similar game I can think of is Dragon Nest. That too is very repetitive though. I think Vindictus is a good game. I quit playing it a while back, but I just downloaded it again for some smash'em mash'em fun.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by raskull789
    Originally posted by azonic69

The only similar game I can think of is Dragon Nest. That too is very repetitive though. I think Vindictus is a good game. I quit playing it a while back, but I just downloaded it again for some smash'em mash'em fun.

Vindictus pretty much has a monopoly on this type of combat in an MMO. The closest competitors would be C9 and TERA but they are second rate compared to Vindictus.

Eventually Black Desert and Blade & Soul will come out with similar or better action combat than Vindictus.

• nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

whooppss spoiler

There's no instance based real time action MMO that is as good as Vindictus lol

On that note, more companies need to make more real time action based games....

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by nhat

whooppss spoiler

Actually, there is one ... unfortunately it's not available outside of Japan. Phantasy Star Online 2 I would say is on par with Vindictus and now that there is good English patches with not much latency and no IP block. It's the only real alternative I would give. Though I look at PSO2 with rose tinted glasses since I loved PSO so much, I am probably biased. 

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Otakun
    Originally posted by nhat

whooppss spoiler

Actually, there is one ... unfortunately it's not available outside of Japan. Phantasy Star Online 2 I would say is on par with Vindictus and now that there is good English patches with not much latency and no IP block. It's the only real alternative I would give. Though I look at PSO2 with rose tinted glasses since I loved PSO so much, I am probably biased. 

No IP Block? Do you mean that they removed the IP Block on the Japanese servers, because I recall them blocking IPs shortly after launch due to a lot of western hackers.

• PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55

I am sorry, but if you are being a nanny about the name hurk. This is for you: 

http://www.gizmodo.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Impossibru.jpg