Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Over-Rated MMO Ever Created? I Think So

The only thing I ever liked about this is the Lore, an interesting merge of sci-fi and weird high fantasy. The game world is also one of the most diverse and amazing I have ever seen in any MMO.

The bad things about this over-shadow the good. The pvp is nothing but a generic piece of junk, pvp is broken and horrible. Skill doesn't matter much, you just need to know when to use which attack skill and what buffs to use. Aiming doesn't matter, where you move hardly matters, all you have to do is move closer to your enemy so you are in range or away from them when you are being hurt.

In a FPS, superior pvp that requires true skill is there. Planetside 2 for example, amazing game.

The graphics are also horrible in world of warcraft, the Lore can also be considered child like. Enjoy wasting your lives with this MMO, I am glad I have never spent more than 500 hours playing it.

I really enjoy Swtor, even though it is a wow clone, at least it had a story, better graphics and its star wars! Something new and different. Star Trek Online and Planetside 2 are also worth checking out.

I hope this piece of over-rated junk eventually dies! At least WoW isn't the top played PC game now, but equally cheesy and pathetic over-rated games have replaced them, DOTA 2 and League of Legends.

Blizzard fanbots will buy anything though, mindless zombies.

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I played WoW for a month. It was fun enough I guess but never really hooked me. The whole thing gives the impression of being a very childish game (Not saying there's anything wrong with that. Some people may be looking for that in an MMO. I'm not really. I prefer gritty/realistic settings or epic high fantasy) 

So yeah I get kind of irritated when people talk about WoW like it's the standard all MMOs should copy and I think its domination of the genre has really stifled innovation a lot. At the same time I understand that with many people it's ether the only MMO they've played or they've played it so long that they're biased by their many happy memories with their friends in the game so it's kind of understandable why it gets so much praise.

One thing I have to mention is that SWTOR didn't even manage to get their combat feeling as good as WoW though which is pretty sad when you consider it came out 7 years later. WoW also has way more content and character customization than SWTOR. If you're going to make a WoW clone you at least have to make sure you're as good as the original in the main areas of the game.

I think basically WoW is a slightly above average game that happened to come along at the perfect time and market itself brilliantly. While not being as brilliant or innovative as many of its fans think it did introduce a lot of people to the genre so gets a ton of praise for that. It's kind of like The Apple iMMO :)

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this one...I disagree with you.

My vote would be SW:TOR or GW2...at least MMO's in recent history.  Both of those were overhyped and severely under delivered in just about every possible way.  Given that GW2 is (laughably) so highly rated on MMORPG, I guess per your thread title that one "wins."

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

My vote goes to GW2 for this award.

I still look fondly back at WoW despite other problems I had with the game. It has been the most immersive MMORPG I've ever played. An actual world that was living and breathing or at least gave the illusion of it.

Then I look back at the current MMORPG I'm playing (GW2) and it just feels like just a game. Though I tried asking if people on the forums would rather have an immersive experience and the general opinion was they would rather just a casual game.

So I pretty much blame the community's mind set of today's MMO players. The game developers are just giving what the people want.

Also I'd like to give an opinion on Planetside 2. How ever their servers have come down with a bad case of unplayable lag and thus not fun can be found in it currently.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

SW:TOR or GW2 would be my vote.

OP I understand why you chose WOW- But the effect it had on pop culture and 'mainstreaming' the genre in all honestly would lead me to believe it was under-rated if anything. Not on 'gameplay'  however- The fact is, even my Grandmother knows what WOW is and that is something.

WOW was/is good. Yes, over-rated in the sense that it isnt nearly the 'best' MMO and yet is at the Top. But good (and highly polished) regardless.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

You know, I remember when people actually tried to put some intelligence into their trolling. These days it's the same old, boring, predictable garbage regurgitated over and over. BTW real classy hoping a game that millions of people enjoy goes under.

Go back to CoD kiddo. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

I love WoW and have played for 8 years. I don't want any game to copy their features, I want games to be innovative and new.

Give me something better to play than WoW (an MMORPG) and I'd play it.

I don't see why you hate it so much...

Most games that have come out in recent years, in my opinion, have failed because they have taken a lot of WoW's features, tried to update them and put their own twist on it, but have failed to match, or come anywhere near, the polish and fluidity that WoW has.

I've tried almost every MMORPG that's come out in the recent years, and NONE have been able to capture me for as long as WoW has.

I played games before WoW, (DAoC, AC, EQ) and those were GREAT for their days, and still are great games, but WoW is THE ultimate theme-park game. I like it.

Now there are a few games that I do play often, like Smite, and a few first-person shooters, CS:S and CS:GO mainly and they are fun.... BUT they are not MMORPGs.

And I LOVE Skyrim, and the other ES games, but they are single-player...

Nothing has come close to matching WoW in it's polish and combat fluidity.. At least I don't think so. And games like GW2... well to me it's just a Zerg fest.. I don't get any sense of achievement from the game.. I like the end-game of WoW, and progressing (gear-wise) once I hit max level, and I've NEVER in my 8 years of playing have had the absolute 100% best gear in every slot at one time.. That's why it keeps me coming back for more, I can always progress in some sense.. ALWAYS. 

I agree with some of your points but look at other games that were released in 04-05.. the graphics don't compare to WoW's, honestly.. EQ2 is the only contender, I think.

I've tried Rift, which for me is the closest to matching WoW's "X-factor" that keeps me coming back for more, but still, WoW will always have that place in my heart. I do play Rift from time to time, but I find myself getting bored, and will go back to WoW.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ALL IN MY OPINION, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SAYING I'M AN IDIOT ZOMBIE FAN BOY, BECAUSE I'M NOT. I JUST ENJOY THE FUCKING GAME.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Rags on WoW and then praises SWTOR (including its graphics).... hahahaha what a clown.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Macrinus101

The only thing I ever liked about this is the Lore is an interesting merge of sci-fi and weird high fantasy. The game world is also one of the most diverse and amazing I have ever seen in any MMO.

The bad things about this over-shadow the good. The pvp is nothing but a generic piece of junk, pvp is broken and horrible. Skill doesn't matter much, you just need to know when to use which attack skill and what buffs to use. Aiming doesn't matter, where you move hardly matters, all you have to do is move closer to your enemy so you are in range or away from them when you are being hurt.

In a FPS, superior pvp that requires true skill is there. Planetside 2 for example, amazing game.

The graphics are also horrible in world of warcraft, the Lore can also be considered child like. Enjoy wasting your lives with this MMO, I am glad I have never spent more than 500 hours playing it.

I really enjoy Swtor, even though it is a wow clone, at least it had a story, better graphics and its star wars! Something new and different. Star Trek Online and Planetside 2 are also worth checking out.

I hope this piece of over-rated junk eventually dies! At least WoW isn't the top played PC game now, but equally cheesy and pathetic over-rated games have replaced them, DOTA 2 and League of Legends.

Blizzard fanbots will buy anything though, mindless zombies.

Most of us have been there, enjoyed playing WoW so much then suddenly the magic is gone.  Some react different than others...

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

yip worst thing that ever happened to mmo games and still people play it.

TITAN will redeem blizzard I think.

• Macrinus101Macrinus101 Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

I love WoW and have played for 8 years. I don't want any game to copy their features, I want games to be innovative and new.

Most games that have come out in recent years, in my opinion, have failed because they have taken a lot of WoW's features, tried to update them and put their own twist on it, but have failed to match, or come anywhere near, the polish and fluidity that WoW has.

I've tried almost every MMORPG that's come out in the recent years, and NONE have been able to capture me for as long as WoW has.

I played games before WoW, (DAoC, AC, EQ) and those were GREAT for their days, and still are great games, but WoW is THE ultimate theme-park game. I like it.

Now there are a few games that I do play often, like Smite, and a few first-person shooters, CS:S and CS:GO mainly and they are fun.... BUT they are not MMORPGs.

Nothing has come close to matching WoW in it's polish and combat fluidity.. At least I don't think so. And games like GW2... well to me it's just a Zerg fest.. I don't get any sense of achievement from the game.. I like the end-game of WoW, and progressing (gear-wise) once I hit max level, and I've NEVER in my 8 years of playing have had the absolute 100% best gear in every slot at one time.. That's why it keeps me coming back for more, I can always progress in some sense.. ALWAYS. 

I agree with some of your points but look at other games that were released in 04-05.. the graphics don't compare to WoW's, honestly.. EQ2 is the only contender, I think.

I've tried Rift, which for me is the closest to matching WoW's "X-factor" that keeps me coming back for more, but still, WoW will always have that place in my heart. I do play Rift from time to time, but I find myself getting bored, and will go back to WoW.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ALL IN MY OPINION, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SAYING I'M AN IDIOT ZOMBIE FAN BOY, BECAUSE I'M NOT. I JUST ENJOY THE FUCKING GAME.

Seriously over-stating the importance of WoW here, you are just a dedicated to this game. WoW is nothing but an everquest clone, the tab target point and click gameplay comes from that with the little action bar. I want a truly epic Fantasy MMO, one that has a third person view and melee combat like Age of Chivalry. Not some huge UI cluttered mess that world of warcrap is.

I do remember a time where I felt obsessed with this game, but it never lasted, I felt wasted and drained eventually. It gets very repetitive and boring. I agree though, SWTOR was a major bomb, that high budget game with its junk hero Engine. Still, the graphics are better than this I rate them a 7/10. SWTOR still feels like a game worth playing though, I am a big fan of star wars and it won't feel like waste after playing it (Like WOW does). Even if I never stuck with the game, would still feel like I had a great time with it since the storyline is great.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Guild Wars 2 is the most over rated game, at least in recent years. Even as someone who bought the collector's edition, I can say the game really dried up 6 months in. I still got 550 hours out of it, but it could have been so much more. There's so much potential there, and it's incredibly frustrating to see where it's at now. For those who've stuck around, good on them. It's an enjoyable game, but certainly no MMO Messiah as once believed. Dismantling that notion is a whole 'nother discussion. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

You know, I remember when people actually tried to put some intelligence into their trolling. These days it's the same old, boring, predictable garbage regurgitated over and over. BTW real classy hoping a game that millions of people enjoy goes under.

Go back to CoD kiddo. 

It always amazes me how people resort to personal insults on an Internet forum. Sorry, I am 24 and in a top University, former army reservist who will re-enlist. You are probably a lonely hurt little man who has probably never had any relations with a female. Good job.

Yeah amazing how fast people resort to that....

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

If you're just playing WoW right now then yeah it's the most overrated game ever. Vanilla WoW however was a masterpiece, way ahead of every other MMO at the time and remained so for many years.

Also lol at bringing up SWTOR right after trashing WoW, one of the biggest flops in MMO history.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Go back to CoD kiddo. 

It always amazes me how people resort to personal insults on an Internet forum. Sorry, I am 24 and in a top University, former army reservist who will re-enlist. You are probably a lonely hurt little man who has probably never had any relations with a female. Good job.

Yeah amazing how fast people resort to that....

It's always a bit painful and humorous to see somewhat shitting themselves. So, he is 24,studying at a top university and for some reason, mentions that he serviced in the army, as if that gives him prestige somehow. While calling someone out for "resorting to personal insults", he proceeds to throw in a few personal insults. Good to see that he is still in school, he might actually learn something yet.

Back to the topic, no matter the origins of WoW, one can't deny that WoW has been the goal of many recent MMO's. So perhaps WoW wasn't "original" and just an "EverQuest" clone, but like with most Blizzard games, they copy a concept and improvement it. The "WoW-killers" just copied the parts which they thought made WoW successful. It's silly, because people that like WoW, will either keep playing WoW or return to WoW. Games that are completely different have their own audience, like EVE. Perhaps LotrO too, the focus on PvE, together with the overarching story is huge in that game.

WoW also succeeds in the animations in my opinion. I've not yet played an MMO with such smooth animations. It feels right in WoW. GW2 comes close though.

SO, the most over-rated MMO? I might call out Vanguard, but that's mostly me being hyped up to no end. Yet, I think TOR deserves it more. Such a hype, yet it felt like a wet fart.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

Go back to CoD kiddo. 

Personal insults? Do you not read your own post? You call everyone that likes a game that you have some horrible emotional tie to a fanbot and zombie!  You should take your own advice.  

How is this hate thread even still active I'm sure it's been reported already.  

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

Seriously over-stating the importance of WoW here, you are just a dedicated to this game. WoW is nothing but an everquest clone, the tab target point and click gameplay comes from that with the little action bar. I want a truly epic Fantasy MMO, one that has a third person view and melee combat like Age of Chivalry. Not some huge UI cluttered mess that world of warcrap is.

I do remember a time where I felt obsessed with this game, but it never lasted, I felt wasted and drained eventually. It gets very repetitive and boring. I agree though, SWTOR was a major bomb, that high budget game with its junk hero Engine. Still, the graphics are better than this I rate them a 7/10. SWTOR still feels like a game worth playing though, I am a big fan of star wars and it won't feel like waste after playing it (Like WOW does). Even if I never stuck with the game, would still feel like I had a great time with it since the storyline is great.

I agree with you, it IS an EQ clone.. But even today, compared to EQ:2, the game feels much more polished.

However, I agree with you that the game is VERY, EXTREMELY, simple.. 

I do love Age of Chivalry, only problem with it for me is that it's lobby based.. I've been waiting yearssssss for games like Age of Chivalry to come out but be released as a MMORPG. Games that attempted to do so, Mortal Online and DarkFall, DarkFall being the best of the 2, FAILED EPICLY in my opinion... So I'm still waiting for one to come out that isn't going to fail. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I think WoW is a wonderful game. 

It uses the traditional gameplay structure of older games and has been tweaked enough to appeal to non-mmo fans. 

WoW has a great game world, memorable races and classes, iconic enemies, a solid progressive pve system and pvp that is worthy of esport fans.

I get that many dislike it, you will always have people hating on whats popular but honestly no mmo as a whole is as good as wow. Sure certain games do this or that better but the overall package cant be beat. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Big_DataBig_Data Member UncommonPosts: 48

What WoW brought to the table (and made it a great game) was accessibility.  It hooked folks who had been playing MMO's like EQ, but was a game that you could suggest to your non-gaming or non-MMO friends, and they could get hooked too.

I would never have tried to get my wife into EQ, but I said she should try WoW, and she got into it (this was back in vanilla, early '05).

I don't think WoW is over-rated at all.  I think there is a debate as to whether it's as good as it was (I say no, but I stopped playing WoW during Cataclysm).

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    WoW is like your grandma. Nothing much any more now that age is showing, but there was a time long ago when someone thought she was the thing :)
  • Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    WoW is like your grandma. Nothing much any more now that age is showing, but there was a time long ago when someone thought she was the thing :)

You do know WoW has 7,400,000 subs right?  I would say if any game or grandma aged as well as WoW has they would be more than happy.  
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by Vonatar

You do know WoW has 7,400,000 subs right?  I would say if any game or grandma aged as well as WoW has they would be more than happy.  

Some grandmas age well. This is true.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

It's okay, WoW will see you all on launch night of Warlords of Draenor. Same thing every expansion, "boohoo, WoW is teh suxors, why did I ever play it."

"Why are you standing in line for the midnight launch for the xpac then?"

"Um . . . "

Followed by two weeks in pajamas taking sick days off work.

It's not a question of IF that will happen, it's a question of how many millions will return this time.

This discussion has been closed.