Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wasteland 2 hits Early Access on Steam

NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Wasteland 2 has hit Steam Early Access for those who just cannot wait. 

What the developers say:

“Here’s the thing: we’ve got a sequel to the classic Wasteland 1, one of the original RPG's and the godfather of the Fallout™ series. Like the original, this one’s a turn-based, isometric, story-intensive exploration of the radioactive wastes of the American Southwest, heavy on choice and consequence. 20 years we have been waiting for the moment to have a sequel to Wasteland and the moment is near.

Now, time was we could get a publisher to do the beta for us… but like the United States in 2112, those days are long gone, a windswept, radioactive memory. Like the Desert Rangers risin' from the ashes of the old world, we’re building a new community, a new reality for the world as it is: from the Kickstarter community to the Steam community, this new world only works when people are weighing in with their ideas and impressions. 

We’re starting out at $59.99 and you’re going to get a lot for your money over time, including a truckload of digital extras, including:

-- A free copy of Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic
-- Two digital novellas set in The Wasteland world
-- Mark Morgan's Wasteland 2 OST in digital format
-- A digital concept art book

* We expect the final release price will be lower, but the free copy of Wasteland 1 and the extra goodies are exclusive to Early Access

You also are joining our indie dev team. Your participation is going to make this game better.

We’re looking for your input to help us tailor the remainder of the development process into the best experience we can deliver. The audience input has been hugely useful throughout the process, and we want to make sure your voice is heard clear through to the end. Do you see areas where you could improve the art? Systems? Dialogue? Find anything that’s broken? We want to hear it; because we’re going to fix it.

This game’s basically feature-complete. We’re including 30% of the game levels so you can see how Wasteland 2 plays: AI, gear, inventory, creatures, line-of-sight, exploration, world-maps, fast travel, dialogue, and more. Oh yeah: you’ll also get to test out the combat system. Hell, that’s a big part of the fun here. We’ve got a cartload of quests, memorable characters, NPCs who’ll be happy to join your party for a price (or for vengeance), and all the explosive fun of a radioactive monk without any of that actual radiation. During this early access phase we’ll be adding even more content in the form of new levels, killer weapons and NPCs and of course fixing those pesky bugs that the programmers put in the code. (We keep telling them to stop putting them in because they’re just going to have to take them out later.)

What’s missing? We still have UI to improve on, more skills to add, more player choice, more SFX and of course more areas to explore and we will hone these elements based on your experiences.

We’re offerin' an Early Access and Kickstarter Backer-exclusive site so you can report bugs and deliver your feedback. This is where you get to interface directly with the development team and shape the direction of the final candidate for release. We’ve been making games for a long time—some of the members of the team were on the original, back in ’87—and our decades of experience have taught us that the best measure of quality is the happiness of the customer. 

Help us deliver the quintessential post-apocalyptic RPG.”

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I have been following this game and thought i would pick it up when it launches, But i was not prepared for $60 price tag. That seems mighty high for a 'legacy' style game in this age.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Nitth
    I have been following this game and thought i would pick it up when it launches, But i was not prepared for $60 price tag. That seems mighty high for a 'legacy' style game in this age.

The crowd funding also gives them a lot of leeway in setting the price since they don't have to pay the investors back. The 'investors' are guaranteed to receive the return on their investment in the product or perks they'll get with the game. They can actually use a normal product life cycle where the price is initially high, and then later goes on sale to maximize the profit from the game. Not to shabby.

Something to think about though is that while the game has a legacy style, it's a modern game, with modern features. For instance, the camera rotates rather than being stuck at a single position. Something I really, really wish Diablo and Torchlight would do without mods.

I am hopeful that Wasteland 2 will spawn a first person POV Wasteland 3, in the vein of Fallout 3. Then we could have Fallout vs Wasteland discussions and there would be more games for me to play. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

A hefty pricetag, and only justifiable if it has the content to back it.

Tbh I haven't read much about this game, but any post-apoc interests me, especially if it's in the vein of the mighty Fallout series (I hope it's Fallout 2 - 2.0)

Does anyone know if this game is gonna have a ton of content?

Be interesting to see what price the proper release will be.

O_o o_O

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

A hefty pricetag, and only justifiable if it has the content to back it.

Tbh I haven't read much about this game, but any post-apoc interests me, especially if it's in the vein of the mighty Fallout series (I hope it's Fallout 2 - 2.0)

Does anyone know if this game is gonna have a ton of content?

Be interesting to see what price the proper release will be.

Takes about 10-15 hours to get through the current content and they claim the current state of game is about 20-30% of the final product.

So something like 50 to 80 hours I guess when it's final, depending on playstyle.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.