Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game be a button masher?

With that I mean do you have to mash buttons in order to perform well against mobs?

Comments

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Since SOE hasn't released any substantial info on the combat system anyone asserting one way or the other is mere conjuncture.

My own hunch is that it won't be a button masher because most MMOs aren't. This purely a probabilistic assumption but one I feel confident to share.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

That sounds good to me :-)

Personally I'm tired of mashing buttons in my MMO's ;-)

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Without any sensible definition of what you mean with "button masher", how can anyone answer this question seriously?

If you mean "hit buttons more often": No, don't think so. I expect the same frequency of inputs, about every 1.5 to 2 seconds, as in most other MMOs in the last 10 years.

If you mean "hit the same one button over and over": No, don't think so either. With less active abilities in total, I expect more interdependencies and combos between the individual skills, less rotations.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    What mobs, at release there will be no combat only exploration and building!
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by zasten
    What mobs, at release there will be no combat only exploration and building!

No mobs/combat to start with in Landmark, however the OP is referring to EQ Next, and if he isn't then it should have been made clearer which game he was referring to.

• WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

wether its a button smash or not imo its determined by cool times, and cast times etc.

not wether its action based combat or not

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    With that I mean do you have to mash buttons in order to perform well against mobs?

nope it's all mind control. Seriously though. I believe the button mashing aspect will make combat like GW2. very few buttons to hit, a cc, a cc breaker that sorta thing, a lot of utility. imo simplified is better. I love GW2 pvp and combat. I mean look at League of Legends the thing that makes it fun is its simplicity in combat. easy to learn, hard to master. What killed wow pvp, or something that made it not fun is the amount of cc in the game. A lot of not so smart kids may disagree and say "oh but there are DR" yeah but most players are dead before the cc wears off.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

On Next , you are only going to get 8 buttons to smash. If that enough? Not enough?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Magicabbage

I think you hit it on the head with your LoL comment. My guess is that the combat with have some MOBA aspects to it where builds and item effects will change how the attacks perform.

If there is going to be hotbar abilities each one should really mean something and I think that's what the OP was referring to. To me "button mashing" is where you just click whatever is off cooldown until the mob dies. Some titles are worse than others and vary greatly on how hard the content is. For example, though I love the game overall, EQ2 is horrible for button mashing. Each ability has specific effects but in the end it doesn't matter which you use as long as it does damage. I hope in EQN each ability really matters.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Button mashing isn't very popular these days. Even WoW moved away from it.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Wouldn't it be great if quicktime events would be finally introduced into MMORPGS? Every other genre has them, and people LOOOOOOVE them! 

I certainly have to write about that novel idea to SOE. I'm sure the Smed would be out of himself with excitement of such novelty in mmorpgs as QTE!

Originally posted by Grahor

Wouldn't it be great if quicktime events would be finally introduced into MMORPGS? Every other genre has them, and people LOOOOOOVE them! 

I certainly have to write about that novel idea to SOE. I'm sure the Smed would be out of himself with excitement of such novelty in mmorpgs as QTE!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Really, I'm wondering why devs have been dumping QTE in everything now?

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

Quick Time Events offer great visual effects. But the concentrating on the buttons instead of the what happens dampens it.

Actually it would look cool if you fight a boss and near the end every player gets a buttons to press. If they all hit it in a time frame it triggers a in game cut scene how the players beats the boss.

Or we do it like ever and after the Boss hit 0hp hit starts his death animation/scripted event starts.

Originally posted by Enrif

Actually it would look cool if you fight a boss and near the end every player gets a buttons to press. If they all hit it in a time frame it triggers a in game cut scene how the players beats the boss.

Isn't there a MMO with something like that already or I'm mixing it with an SP game?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I have yet to see a MMO where 80% of your kills are not a cycle of skills you repeat. Or where min maxers have not worked out what order will give the highest DPS. If not used you end up being 2nd, 3rd or lower on the order of who is best at what you class dose. If you know one please let me know what it is because I would like to play it.
  • MeechaMeecha Member Posts: 30
    I would not worry about this being a button masher, from the little bit of combat they have shown, it does not look like either player would have been smashing their keyboards to do what they were doing. And like others have said, skills will probably combo, so it will be up to you to know which combo best suits each situation.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The trend for MMO's remains dumbing them down if you want a mass market game launch.  While EQN may have some more hybrid features in it, and better AI than we have seen in a while, it's still going to be simplified MMO gaming from the user's experience.  I think Landmark may end up being the more interesting product simply because it will be more player driven.

I don't see this changing for big-brand games anytime soon.  If you are looking for a more mentally stimulating experience, it's probably going to be found in indy games.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

Yes, it is a game, so you will use keyboard, unless you plug in mind reading device.

If you want more buttons in sequences play zombie typography, or some other retarded stuff.

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

If EQN is action orientated combat that's also position based (hopefully), like some of the MOBA's, then spamming your abilities won't do anything. Because some of the abilities might require ground targeting or some form of targeting which is not tab/target based, but based off your position relative to the enemy.

Originally posted by SupaAPE

If EQN is action orientated combat that's also position based (hopefully), like some of the MOBA's, then spamming your abilities won't do anything. Because some of the abilities might require ground targeting or some form of targeting which is not tab/target based, but based off your position relative to the enemy.

They already showed a few abilities that required strategy to use.

ice wall: totally useless unless you can stop mobs with it (i.e. only useful over a bridge or to trap something in a corner).

upveal: makes holes in the ground/destroy bridge (by making holes in them, hehehe), same as ice wall, except you have to predict or time it for efficiency and avoid party members. Have other use outside of combat though.

I expect a lot of skills that interact with the environment, that's actually the positive thing about voxel based, you can make stuff crumble on others, remove the ground under their feets, etc.