Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is a 32 inches to much to handle(link inside) in long gaming sessions. I currently have a 17 inchy m

DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261

Guys i need a new monitor because my 17 in asus is failing.

I have my eye on this one BLAUPUNKT B32PW122BK LED television

And its a tv but it's says it has PC connectivity.

Its huge compared to a my 17 inch one.

I'm curious do you guys use a monitor this big? You get Headaches in long gaming sessions? 

Is it gonna be more demanding on my graphics card ? ATI Radeon 6850

Comments

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

The problem with most televisions is that they do not scale properly in your native resolution. First you need to determine your max resolution your able to output and then buy a monitor that can process that. You also want at least 2ms response time and full HD format support especially if you are able to run HDMI. LED backlit is a nice feature as well. The other consideration is how far away are you sitting from this monitor? If you are 2 feet away I would say its over kill for something that big and it will cause eye strain.

If your using this on a computer desk and your a few feet away I would go with a 21"-26". Not sure if you have a Newegg.com around your parts (I do believe they ship international) and they have some killer deals going now on some nice ASUS monitors. Personally Newegg is were I do the majority of my PC shopping and have for years. Best service and best prices. Hope this helps.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Resolution (horizontal x vertical - in pixels) : 1366 x 768

not sure how you could ever consider a tv instead of monitor, but a tv that is not even full hd

get yourself one of korean ips 27 inc monitors, more info can be found here http://www.overclock.net/f/44/monitors-and-displays

32, might be alright, but anything below 1440p is a no go on that size and that tv idea is probably worst you ever had

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The rule of thumb for any screen is as it gets larger you have to be able to sit farther back from it. Screens people use are often too large to be at a desk and are causing them eye strain etc but big= better!

It's really something you'll have to decide for yourself because it's not something you'll get a lot of professional advice about. Something like can a cars engine ever be too powerful or go too fast, can a gun ever become too large/powerful for "home" defense. The answers you get will depend more on the person giving them than the question or if it's right for you.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Smikis +1, it's not a monitor, it's a tv (and not even HD, only HD-ready). In long gaming sessions, as you wrote in the title, it will butcher your eyes...

For average use (before you at the desk, screen is ~1 meter from your eyes) a 24" - 27" monitor is more than ideal. Switching from 17" you'll be amazed.

• Ochi44Ochi44 Member UncommonPosts: 3

I do long gaming sessions (6 - 14h) on a 40", sitting at 2' from it. No problems so far after 2 years using it.

If you going to buy a TV as pc monitor, make sure it have fast response time (12ms or less is fine for me) and it is 1080p.

Good contrast ratio is also nice.

If it have only a hdmi input, dvi to hdmi only require an adapter like this 10$ cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270113

Like others have said, it's really something you'll have to decide for yourself. Personally i have a 40" TV and a 27" 1900x1200 monitor hocked to my comp and use the 40" TV as main monitor for work and gaming, the color rendering is not as good on the TV but beside for graphical work i see no problem with it.

I wouldn't buy the one you linked over a pc monitor though.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

As someone who uses a 32'inch TV Monitor (7+ Hours A Day!) (100+ Hours A Week!) I get almost little to no headaches staring at a much bigger (TV) screen. Gaming is better on a bigger screen :) (Skyrim/BF4/World of Tanks/Etc.) on 1920/1080p resolution.

It really shouldn't affect your gaming FPS at all, unless you plan on playing on a higher resolution. (HDMI Cable Required)

Hope this helps a bit!

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

Experience with bigger display is much more better than small  I use to play on  a small one and now changed to a 32 inch and experience is great especialy in FPS game Ive became better    in Skyrim I have better immersion because I dont see that wall behind and anything else

but  size its no all  target first is Best gameing monitors with benifits in game than simply buying by size its like in real life its about how u use it not about size _)))

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Do not buy that television. The resolution is too low, even for something that just plays games on a PC.

What is the resolution of your current monitor?

What kind of resolution will your video card push? Is it more or less capped at 1680x1080 resolutions to give acceptable frame rates? Do you expect to upgrade to a video card that will push 2560x1440 resolution with an acceptable frame rate any time soon?

If your current monitor is something like 1680x1050, then a 1080p television is going to give you comparable resolution, and your video card will not have any issues pushing all the pixels. However, depending on where you're sitting, the edges of screen elements like text may not look smooth. You're increasing the size, but leaving the resolution the same so each pixel will be bigger. You'll probably have to get at least a 40" television to get a 1080p resolution, which is the minimum acceptable resolution.

If your video card is pushing higher resolutions than 1680x1080 or if you expect to buy a new video card that will easily push higher resolutions, then a monitor may be a better choice. You can get higher resolutions, but it will be more expensive. Things like fonts and the edges of "stuff" will probably look smoother.

Another consideration is where you sit. If you were sitting close to a 22" monitor, and it looked fine, the 40" television might be too large to comfortably see the whole screen. If you sit back a ways from the screen, then a 40" television might be the optimum choice.

Final question, do you only play games? My desktop machine pretty much just does games and I have a Linux Lappy for everything else. So for me, the television, even a lower resolution one would work fine. If you do other stuff, especially any sort of work or homework, then the monitor is probably the better choice.

When buying a television, make sure it's at least 1080p. 2k and 4k are also options, but they are probably priced really high right now. LED is better than LCD. Make sure the television has a gaming mode. Televisions have built in intelligence to make on screen images look better for television and movies. This can cause input lag which isn't noticeable to normal mortals, but gamers notice the difference and it can make gaming unbearable or even impossible in some games. Newer televisions may be fast enough to not worry about this, so some research beyond what you're doing here may be necessary. You need not worry about any of this if you're going to buy a monitor.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Smikis +1, it's not a monitor, it's a tv (and not even HD, only HD-ready). In long gaming sessions, as you wrote in the title, it will butcher your eyes...

For average use (before you at the desk, screen is ~1 meter from your eyes) a 24" - 27" monitor is more than ideal. Switching from 17" you'll be amazed.

+1 on this.

I myself got a 24'' and its FAR as i can get on my desk, without having to run eyes all over the screen, and having my 19'' for sidekicking :p

But beware! once u get a bigger monitor u never go back =x 

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Personally for me I have found that on a standard computer type desk and distance that a 27" is the perfect size.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

I will also vote for a 27" monitor. Or TV if it can do the resolution. With the 27" and being about 1.5-2 feet away, stuff can happen on the edge of the screen and I see it in my peripheral vision. Have to turn my head to see it, and then the other side of the screen is only in my peripheral vision.

Makes it very nice. I got a Radeon 7970, and crank settings up to max.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    If you're going to use it as a computer monitor, you're probably better off getting a real computer monitor.  Televisions can function as a monitor in a pinch, but they're not ideal for a variety of reasons.  Among others, they're usually not optimized for latency to the same degree that computer monitors are, as a half second of latency basically doesn't matter when watching television.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I vote a 24" - 27" monitor instead of a TV.

If you do decide on a television go ahead and spend the money on a quality one. If your going to do a lot of PC gaming then a PC monitor is the way to go. If you want to connect several devices such as PC, Console, Cable box, ect  then a television will allow you to do that and may be a good choice.

Do not cheap out on the television, a crappy cheap TV will be worse than whatever you have, just bigger.