Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AVADirect or iBuyPower?

VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Hello!

I just got a nifty little message on my PC that my hard drive has reported that it might fail :(  I have had some issues with corrupt files in the past year so this is no surprise.  This rig is 5 years old already and I suppose it's time to get a new one!

I do not have the time or patience to build my own rig.  It just isn't an option.  Money isn't really an issue either.  I'm not looking to shave a couple hundred bucks here or there.  I just want a quality product from people that deserve my business.  The new PC is going to get some HEAVY use.  I will be using the new one for both work and gaming (work isn't CPU intensive though, just the basic web apps, stock market stuff.)

Where do I go?

Also.  Is there any last ditch attempts I can make at saving this drive without investing any money into it?

Comments

• jw2252jw2252 Member Posts: 34
    I've purchased my last three laptops from ibuypower and thus far have had no issues with them.  They're customization options are pretty extensive too as compared to somewhere like dell or alienware.  That being said, I'm no guru of computers, just an average consumer.  One thing I can say about them though, they have jacked up their prices by a fairly large margin in recent years so I would definitely shop around a little bit.  I haven't had any issues with their customer service either so that's always a plus.  Can't really comment on AVADirect as I have never purchased anything from them. 
  • ezjay1975ezjay1975 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Checkout Digitalstorm.com. Have not personally bought one from them but have 2 friends that have and love the build quality and customer service. All reviews show they are highly recommended.
  • AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco

Hello!

I just got a nifty little message on my PC that my hard drive has reported that it might fail :(  I have had some issues with corrupt files in the past year so this is no surprise.  This rig is 5 years old already and I suppose it's time to get a new one!

I do not have the time or patience to build my own rig.  It just isn't an option.  Money isn't really an issue either.  I'm not looking to shave a couple hundred bucks here or there.  I just want a quality product from people that deserve my business.  The new PC is going to get some HEAVY use.  I will be using the new one for both work and gaming (work isn't CPU intensive though, just the basic web apps, stock market stuff.)

Where do I go?

Also.  Is there any last ditch attempts I can make at saving this drive without investing any money into it?

Drives fail it happens. You could just buy a new drive instead of a new computer. But I highly question the outlined line above. Anyone that spends hours playing mmos or games has time and patience in spades.

If you don't want a laptop then you should really build your own pc. It takes only an hour (two if you're new) to build a computer after ordering the parts. Order all parts through newegg, a hundred websites out there will give you a good build for your budget, and there are many amazing guides for building a pc (it is very easy).

I'd also like to mention it costs 1/3rd less if you do it yourself. I'd also like to mention that all parts have 3-6 month warranties from their manufacturers and extended warranties for specific issues.

There is no reason to buy from iBuyPower (except laptops) [mod edit]

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Avison

I do not have the time or patience to build my own rig.  

It only takes 2-3 hours to build a pc, plus you get better quality parts. Plus when your pc breaks again..... You know how to fix it.

But if that just is not an option, I would recommend Best Buy, Walmart or Sam's club over ibuy and AV

• AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Originally posted by Avison

I do not have the time or patience to build my own rig.  

It only takes 2-3 hours to build a pc, plus you get better quality parts. Plus when your pc breaks again..... You know how to fix it.

But if that just is not an option, I would recommend Best Buy, Walmart or Sam's club over ibuy and AV

Did you copy my underline, italic, and yellowfied edit?!

On a more on topic note... I'd recommend a dell desktop over iBuyPower. At least you get great payment options and support. Since you apparently have no interest in understanding a core component in your own life that support should come in handy.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I won't try to sway you if you really aren't interested in building your own. I realize some people just have zero interest and are willing and able to pay the premium to get a system built for them from a premium provider.

With regards to the two specific options you have AVA direct has a better reputation. However if money isn't really an issue some of the other boutique builders can provide a better system than either of the two you asked about. Digital Storm is one but there are a number of others available to choose from.

If you value your money and what you spend it on stay away from the mass produced crap available in the majority of electronic/computer stores. In almost all cases they cut corners on important hardware such as the PSU and/or MB to save on costs. Trust me when I say you don't want any part of that near a gaming PC.
  • macromastiamacromastia Member UncommonPosts: 23

Ok. Here is the deal. You don't want to build your own. So it comes down to this > Do you want to be able to choose every part by brand and pay the cheapest price but not have a warranty other than the parts itself or would you rather have a more streamlined path for parts and have a warranty to extend past the factory parts? If you know what you want part by part and love the idea of building a pc but not the risk or time spent to do it then AvaDirect is for sure the way to go!

If you are not sure about each part and dont want to spend the time to look up reviews etc I would suggest a company like Puget or DigitalStorm both are very well known for quality builds and excellent customer service. My personal experience is with AvaDirect. They are much cheaper including even the like of IbuyPower and CyberPower (same peeps to my knowledge).

But here is the deal AvaDirect is only a builder. Thats why they are so cheap, you can literally pick every single part like you would building your own off newegg and you will spend roughly $200 more Maybe by letting them build it for you. But they basically only use the parts warranty unless you opt to add extra coverage. I know this because I have used them the last two years to build my last two pcs'.

I was able to pick every part to fit the size,brand,etc I wanted just as i would off newegg by myself and priced it all and still came out to around $200 bucks difference AND that wasn't even counting the shipping from newegg so maybe it would be the same price! They have top notch customer service as far as getting it build and if any problems or questions. Please just don't get an Alienware! That was my 1st custom I bought 5 years ago and it was hands down the worst experience of my life in any consumer siituation not to mention I spent 5K lol. I got the best of everything for 1.5k from AvaDirect and have not had a problem with either pc over the last 2 years.

TL;DR

AvaDirect hands down a thousand fold!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

2 hours to build a PC LMAO ,what ever,it takes longer than that just to research the items you want to build it,then you have to order the parts and wait and wait.

Op can simply walk into a PC shop and start clicking all the machines to see which ones have the highest windows ratings and walk home with a great PC that same day,no waiting or researching.

If you again are not worried about cost too much,also have the tech guy upgrade your drivers/bios for you,they might be too lazy but insist.GPU drivers are easy to upgrade and in many cases your PC/Laptop will tell you when an update is available.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I got a laptop from iBuypower I been happy with it other then I had to send it back for bad power connector and it took almost 45 days to get it back.  On their site it says that warrentee work has a 10 to 15 day turn around but they always has some reson took so long.  Even took them like 4 days to pack and ship it.

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

Of the two you mentioned ............AVA for sure gets my vote.

But there are several other boutique builders that just may pique your interest. Digital Storm has been mentioned as well as Pugetsystems......both definitely worth a look. Also there is Falcon Northwest.

HardOCP's forums has a lot of user related queries and advice on builders and builds. Beings you relay money is not the primary focus then getting the most for said money would seem prudent.not only in build quality but service reputation.

Happy shopping

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I use AVADirect. Their prices are comprable to a home build and include a pretty solid warranty.

If you do choose to go through Ibuypower/cyberpowerpc, make SURE YOU UPGRADE THE POWERSUPPLY. Their crappy PSUs are garbage.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Its hard to get a bad iBuyPower laptop. They are rebadged Clevo laptops so its pretty difficult for them to mess it up.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

UGH, crap now I really don't know what to do lol.

The hard drive did indeed fail today.  I am pondering the quickest option and just running up to Best Buy for a crap hard drive.  But then I wonder how easy it's going to be to get windows on there from the Dell installation disks that I have.

The other is that I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 ti in there currently.  I am PONDERING building a PC where I could still use this video card.  Looking up stuff on building a PC though and I'm losing interest fast.  My obsessive compulsive disorder is overwhelming me already lol.  If I sit down to put this thing together and I've found out I've messed something up I'm going enter a deep dark place that I would rather not go.  Ignorance is bliss sometimes...

Then the questions of buying new...

My friend has an interesting tactic.  He spends like $700 on new PC's and just ditches them every 2 years.  Sometimes I think he comes out on top vs spending say like $1600 every 4 years.  I have no basis to compare the PC I currently have to something bottom of the barrel from AVADirect.  I stopped paying attention after the 90's.  It's an old Dell XPS 420.  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600.  4GB etc.

If I buy cheap am I still upgrading?  This idea intrigues me because knowing me after I get done pointing and clicking I'll have a $3000 system in my cart lol. 

Edit:  http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadvanquish.asp?id=871700

Like this for example.  $800 and out the door within 72 hours. 

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I've never used AVA but Ibuypower screwed me over about 3 years ago- delivered a PC a month later than originally offered and when it arrived had no fans and was missing parts. I immediately sent pictures of the issue as well as a screenshot of the specs I'd ordered and STILL had to get the BBB involved for them to fix the mistakes.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would go with AvA Direct myself.

It would be easier if you just listed the max you want to spend and give people an idea. You said money was no object, but if you are looking at $800 PCs then it must be at least to some degree.

And I would not get that one you linked off digital storm, for $800 you can build a much better PC.

IMO if your willing to drop $1300 or so on a prebuilt you can get a decent one, if your on a tighter budget then build one.

List what your looking to spend and you will get some suggestions.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    When  I went to buy a computer I did a lot of homework, and found AVA has a much better rep and fewer repairs than IBUY or cyber, I went with AVA about a year ago and it was an excellent decision. The price is just a hair more than build it yourself and you get to chose an array of options or you can contact AVA and they will recommend parts or a comp and tell you why