Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Procurer or Retriever

dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121

I am about to get one of them and am leaning toward the Procurer since it has the 200% boost in strip mining and 66% ice harvest duration time. 

It seems by reading posts around the net most people prefer the Retriever and I am not sure why other than the larger hold. Am I missing something?

Seems to me if I am gonna be in low sec space it would be more of a benefit to have a tankier ship that mines faster so I won't be lingering around too long in one spot right?

What do you think?

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Procurer for fleet mining. Retriever for solo. If you are mining in low sec solo and attacked, you will lose either. Tanking out a proc is a waste for yield power.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    first off, taking a mining boat into low sec is a huge risk, their slow to warp, and they are easy to destroy, and thats even the 'tankier' versions, if you want to mine in low sec, your probably better off using a frig, though tbh, with all the low sec ores now being found in high sec areas (you have to scan them down) then your probably better off with a retriever and just mining those. Low sec mining is really a corp op thing, except... corp mining ops usually take place in null sec, or WH not in low sec.image
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    The person above covered the risks of low second mining. Op, you mention cargo space, and yes that is a huge consideration. If you plan to fleet with an orca, then you don't need large cargo space. If you plan to solo mine, you have to condsider travel time in your isk per hour calculations. Having a great yeild is not so great when after 1 or 2 cycles your cargo hold is full. You may end up flying more than mining.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Procurer for fleet mining. Retriever for solo. If you are mining in low sec solo and attacked, you will lose either. Tanking out a proc is a waste for yield power.

Ahhh see I didn't think of that, now it makes sense. I am a solo player for sure, for now anyways. Thanks!

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    If you're doing it solo without a cargo can then use retriever. The biggest cargo space saves the number of trips to the station for a  better return.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by lugal
    The person above covered the risks of low second mining. Op, you mention cargo space, and yes that is a huge consideration. If you plan to fleet with an orca, then you don't need large cargo space. If you plan to solo mine, you have to condsider travel time in your isk per hour calculations. Having a great yeild is not so great when after 1 or 2 cycles your cargo hold is full. You may end up flying more than mining.

Which is why for a beginner miner, a Retriever is a great mining boat to start off with, i think it has around 27k m3 of ore bay, and enough slots to give it 'tank' for npc rats, throw in 5 warrior I's even, and it can usually hold its own in .5 belts.

personally though, i'd go for the high sec belts over low sec, you don't have to mine much to replace the cost of a retty, but chances are your going to be doing it on a fairly regular basis if you try to mine in low sec. image

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew there had to be a reason why so many were using Retrievers and now I know.

There was a mention of using frigates..what about Battleship Mining? I see people posting about that as well. I only mention it because I have a Raven.

I am a returning player after being away for years and will probably just mine for a while this time around and see where that takes me.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Other than some gas harvesting (which can randomly explode), there isn't much battleship mining left in the game. It is possible to mine in lowsec if you pick a quiet location (preferably far away from Empire and close to some more deserted areas of Nullsec), but for the most part, the time spent, logistics and travelling required aren't worth the extra income you can get there. Ore deposits were changed into anomalies too, which means people don't even need to scan you down anymore when you're inside.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Skiff, always <3.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Procurer is more for high sec. Retriever will get you frigate killed quite often but nobody really messes with a procurer. It is the perfect ship if you like to semi afk mine a lot in high sec. Yeah you need more trips to base but the semi afk miner doesn't mind that as much imo.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by dzones

I am about to get one of them and am leaning toward the Procurer since it has the 200% boost in strip mining and 66% ice harvest duration time. 

It seems by reading posts around the net most people prefer the Retriever and I am not sure why other than the larger hold. Am I missing something?

Seems to me if I am gonna be in low sec space it would be more of a benefit to have a tankier ship that mines faster so I won't be lingering around too long in one spot right?

What do you think?

IIRC the yield is same for both because retriever has more miners than procurer, but procurer has bigger bonuses. I think the biggest difference is procurer sacrifices orehold space for tank. Even if you mine in hisec your retriever is more prone to be booted by suicide ganks, procurer is tanky enough for the CONCORD to arrive and save the day against suicide gankers. Though if you see 10+ Catalysts pop on overview you wish you were aligned yesterday, no matter what is under your ass.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Robokapp

solomining...lowsec.

I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but don't assume it will always live and don't spend all your money to buy it.

for the 100 ways you can think of that you can lose it there's another 1,000 ways you can't thin of.

I lost a hulk to a scrambling (rat) frigate once. I wasnt afk I just lost my drones during the fight. I thought i could take them like i've done many times and one of them lived. my fault...noboy's but mine. just saying this stuff happens.

Damn! That must have been frustrating, watching as the rat pecks you off. Now that the drones actually can and will die makes me micromanage them a bit more even on combat ships just so I dont have to keep spare drones in cargo, even though rats drop drones every now and then.

wow that really sucks!

I can see from when I played eve many years ago that things have changed in mining and all the benefits are no longer tied only to low and null sec. Since I am running alone for now I will for sure be sticking to high sec and when I do decide to get into a corp (if I do) then maybe I can look into ice harvesting and all that. For now I really just wanna keep it fun. If I lose my ship I have no worries about it cause I have enough ISK to replace it like 20 times over anyway.

I decided since I was staying in high sec to go with a Retriever for now due to the big cargo hold. I keep 4 hobgoblin 1 and a salvage drone. The Hobgoblins kill any pirates within seconds and so far after a couple days I have yet to see anything else to worry about.

Thanks again for all the input thus far