Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: The First Fifteen Minutes - WildStar Beta

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

You know how you can tell if a game is going to grab you in the first fifteen minutes of playing? That's the aim of this new series, with WildStar getting the treatment. Here are JUST the first fifteen minutes, from character creation to tutorial, uncut and uncensored. What do you think of Carbine's MMO?

(The numbers on the screen are a watermark on all beta clients to prevent NDA breaking and track breakers. We have permission as a news outlet, and this video was captured before we could take down the marker.)

Sub for more videos! | http://www.youtube.com/mmorpgcom

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Thanks for the video. So far, not really my bag.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Looks like I may enjoy it. Depends on how responsive combat feels and the overall lore/story. 
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    I thought this game was brought up as a sandbox but all I saw was same old linear quests as every mmo out there. I don't see any reasons to play it.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Thanks for the share.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

If only the questing wasn't so bland and old fashioned. Lots of things I like about the game, but I am over the exclamation point-no voiceover-read quest test-kill 10 rats style of questing, and Wildstar has this in abundance.

Not to mention the challenges that require you to kill a certain number of mobs within a time limit that pop up randomly and bellow "Challenge Failed" if you dare to ignore it.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I hope the questing parts are the weakest part of the whole game to compensate. 

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i have a question-ive been seein this on all their videos during combat.

will it be optional to have those 'guides' when fighting...not sure what they are called but the lines and circles they create around them-looks like a raid add-on kinda thing.

this maybe the game breaker for me. kinda takes away from  the combat effects the classes make by having circles and lines to guide me into combat.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I really want to like this game, I just cannot get into it.  I am not sure why.  It seems like it would be a lot of fun, but none of the videos get me excited.  It really feels like it's going to be SWTORish.  :(
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by orbitxo

i have a question-ive been seein this on all their videos during combat.

will it be optional to have those 'guides' when fighting...not sure what they are called but the lines and circles they create around them-looks like a raid add-on kinda thing.

this maybe the game breaker for me. kinda takes away from  the combat effects the classes make by having circles and lines to guide me into combat.

Yep, you can take them off, or even make them as opaque or not as you want them to be.  

Against enemies though, you'll REALLY want to be able to see them.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I tried to watch but the person would not shut up and stop making stupid comments.  Please refrain from that in the future.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    The first 15 minutes of AOC was epic .. that's all I need to say.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Looks like nothing new... at all. Another game that adds nothing but a different story. Unfortunate.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Why I agree with most that it's nothing new, I think people will flock to it just like they do every game for at least the first month or so but after that I see it being just like every other game probably f2p within a year.......
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    The Ripper X narration is pretty hilarious. WS is looking fantastic. Fun times ahead.
  • gakulegakule Member UncommonPosts: 92
    WoW and SWTOR called, they want their baby back.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The person who had this vision, the person who sold this vision, the people who invested in this vision need to leave the industry. For those who built this vision, I hope this game finds an audience. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    I thought this game was brought up as a sandbox but all I saw was same old linear quests as every mmo out there. I don't see any reasons to play it.

It was never a sandbox, you may be thinking of archage or something.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Derros

They claimed it to be both. (they as in the production team)

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    While character creation is important I wouldn't make it a part of evaluating the first 15 minutes of game play.

All die, so die well.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I am also not sure if 15 minutes of a game's tutorial levels is the best for evaluating it game play in a short span of time. Tutorial levels are often much more structured than most of the rest of the game. I am also noticing that many games now, wildstar included, are incrementally unlocking features as you level up. Not just skills but lots of other things as well. This also makes a first 15 minutes less than ideal.

What this 15 minutes fails to do is show someone the more explorational aspects of the game and how much the path quests add to the mix. There are lots of lore items and quests to find out in the open. In the case of wildstar I would say 15 minutes at lvl 6 or 7 would be a better view of what you are in for.

All die, so die well.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Kilrain

Been following most threads on this game and I have never seen it called a sandbox by the development team or anyone else, you must be confusing this with another game.

I wish them luck, seems to be lots of heavy handed critics on this thread.  Hard to get a feel for a game watching a video.  I am glad they went subscription, it will keep out the riff raff and reduce farming.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Everytime they show off beta footage there is negative feedback... I wonder what is the point.

Despite that, I found the into at least interesting. So i can expect some decent story and environments in the sci fi context. Which sounds cool as a space cowboy... since I am big on anime and things like space cow boys (Cowboy BeBop)

I would say the combat looks plain for early lvls, and I know thats normal... but in swtor at least they gave the warrior its staple epic force leap. It makes classes iconic, and thats what they should have done with these classes and try to make varying iconic abilities per class and starting them from the beginning as well.

My only criticism is that the text was too small.

I think everything is as it was expected, and the story for me was better than I would imagine it to be... so I am glad for that. I would hope that maybe they can try to make their cities more into a busy place with more NPC movement/activities and their activities change depending on the day/night cycle, and they go to their dormitories and there are replacement NPC's.

It might make questing a bit more tricky, so maybe not for the quest givers, or maybe they have replacements or other possible ideas... but I think something like that as a small touch would really bring out the world to have its own life.

Despite what people are saying that its linear, it looks good for what it is. I am not sure what they were expecting.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• YolenYolen Member Posts: 14
    Hey, at least now we know what happened to the space cowboy smuggler guy from SWTOR intro!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Kilrain

Been following most threads on this game and I have never seen it called a sandbox by the development team or anyone else, you must be confusing this with another game.

I wish them luck, seems to be lots of heavy handed critics on this thread.  Hard to get a feel for a game watching a video.  I am glad they went subscription, it will keep out the riff raff and reduce farming.

Nothing will reduce 3rd party "farming" activities except for a motivated 24/7 live server mod team.

It will be very interesting to see if Wildstar and ESO will be as heavily targeted by organised goldspammers as was the case with FFXIV:ARR, and if it happens, how the respective teams respond to the attacks.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Looks like SWTOR 2.0..

What a disappointment.

Still, i'm not judging the game based on the first 15 mins. I've promised i'll give this game a chance..