Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so much potential

stvnkrs10stvnkrs10 Member UncommonPosts: 53

I bought this game before launch and wanted it so much to be what it could have been. Concept = awesome! I still am glued to walking dead. Graphics and world appeal = Awesome! Quests and interactivity = Awesome! 

The problem is in the combat. It was so choppy and forced feeling it drove me out. Has it been improved? I wan't to play this game more than most out there, but the combat is so bad, I just can't. 

Did anyone else get this feeling?

If only a dev would read this and put some time in to revamping the feel of combat.

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    There's no sub anymore (b2p) so relog and try it again.  Your account should still be on there. 
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    what is wrong with combat ?.. am I miss something ?,I have spend  1600+ hours on game play
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    what is wrong with combat ?.. am I miss something ?,I have spend  1600+ hours on game play

It is dull and repetitive? I liked the game but the combat really did turn me off as well. I didn't end up finishing Egypt because I was just so bored of the combat. I found myself just trying to run past things so I didn't have to waste the time fighting it and that is never good.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I did the starting area Kingsmouth?   and the combat turned me off also and havent been back.  Almost everything else about this game is terrific. I dont believe there are any plans to revamp/improve combat, so we are stuck with it.   I might return but not sure at this point.   

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I also don't have a problem with the combat - I like it quite a bit in fact, given the skill synergies, and the fact a single character can have all the skills.

Overall, a great game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

I know exactly what you mean. I love the concept for this game, but I too can't stand the combat. It doesn't feel as reactive as other games and when you figure out a build that works, you end up using the same 7 abilities for the whole game... It got pretty dull really fast. I love the story and that's what got me through to the Egypt area, but after that I just couldn't stand the combat anymore. I still log on occasionally to see what changes have occurred, but I can't force myself to stick with this game because of how crappy the combat is.

I feel like I should go into more detail on what I don't like about the combat:

1. The animations are crap.

2. It doesn't feel like the blows connect when you attack with a melee weapon.

3. Having only 7 active  abilities at a time feels too constrained.

I realize that a lot of people love this game, but the combat really killed it for me - which is sad since I bought the Grandmaster package before it came out...

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

This used to baffle me too, until my computer broke down, and I replaced it with a pretty good "gaming" laptop.

All of the sudden the combat in TSW was every bit as choppy and cluncky and all those other c-words it has been called since launch.

I am now convinced that a large portion, if not all, of the complaints about combat is due to inadequate hardware.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Bjelar

This used to baffle me too, until my computer broke down, and I replaced it with a pretty good "gaming" laptop.

All of the sudden the combat in TSW was every bit as choppy and cluncky and all those other c-words it has been called since launch.

I am now convinced that a large portion, if not all, of the complaints about combat is due to inadequate hardware.

Nope it's to with the fact though individually the animations are fine,not great but adequate,they do not flow together at all and so come off disjointed.Add to that that there's no feeling of weight to it you may as well be swinging/shooting at air.

At least that was what it was like last tie I tried it.

I loved the Setting and the lore of TSW and I liked Investigations and some of the other mission structures but that was all personally.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Leiros

I know exactly what you mean. I love the concept for this game, but I too can't stand the combat. It doesn't feel as reactive as other games and when you figure out a build that works, you end up using the same 7 abilities for the whole game... It got pretty dull really fast. I love the story and that's what got me through to the Egypt area, but after that I just couldn't stand the combat anymore. I still log on occasionally to see what changes have occurred, but I can't force myself to stick with this game because of how crappy the combat is.

I feel like I should go into more detail on what I don't like about the combat:

1. The animations are crap.

2. It doesn't feel like the blows connect when you attack with a melee weapon.

3. Having only 7 active  abilities at a time feels too constrained.

I realize that a lot of people love this game, but the combat really killed it for me - which is sad since I bought the Grandmaster package before it came out...

You really shouldn't use only one set.  I have multiple sets that focus on what I'm playing against.  Sure I have a "base" set that I can just roll with and do anything solo, but it is not as effective as switching out to be more specialized towards what I'm doing at the moment.  I have probably 5 aoe sets, 3 single target sets, and this isn't including my group sets I have.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Bjelar
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph what is wrong with combat ?.. am I miss something ?,I have spend  1600+ hours on game play

Nope not this at all. I think people just have different tolerances for clunky combat. To this day there are people who say that WAR wasn't clunky when it was one of the clunkiest games released. SWTOR is sluggish, Rift is sluggish, Aion is sluggish. It is what makes a game like WoW or GW2 stand out from a gameplay standpoint, they really got the smoothness of combat and movement down.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It is the builder component that is driving people away from the combat.  It makes the combat seem like a chore.  I still like the game and if I need to play a game with quests, this is it.
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Originally posted by Leiros

you end up using the same 7 abilities for the whole game... 

This isn't remotely true.

First, different encounters require different skills. In nightmare dungeons, groups have the option of running in Master Planner mode. In this mode, if you change any gear or skills at any time, you fail the challenge. You can still kill all the bosses and get all the loot, but you won't get the achievement. But 99.9% of the time, groups don't run Master Planner because it's easier if you can change skills and gear based on the encounter. In one fight you might want a cleanse and in another a snare. In one fight you might want more burst damage and in another more aoe.

Second, there are more than 7 things that you will use in a given fight. They added auxiliary weapons shortly after launch. These weapons have their own sets of skills and they added an 8th active and passive slot for them. You also have 2 types of gadgets and pots that can be used during the fight for buffs/heals/etc. There's active dodge. That's 12.

Third, there are 3 different roles and you can play them all. You can run a dungeon as the tank one day and run it again the next day as dps or healer. You can switch roles from one encounter to the next if you want.

Fourth, there are a variety of builds for each role, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Heal-tanking is a common practice in some dungeons/encounters.

If all you've done is fought open world mobs in the lower zones, then you haven't really experienced combat in TSW. Get into the dungeons where most encounters require a great deal of movement in addition to clicking those buttons. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Mardukk
    It is the builder component that is driving people away from the combat.  It makes the combat seem like a chore.  I still like the game and if I need to play a game with quests, this is it.

They should definitely do something with the combat. It really is a sticking point, and it stands out even more compared to the rest of the game. The rest of the game has a nice pace and is very interesting, but then you get bogged down with the combat. "Chore" is a very good word to describe it. The combat is the chore you have to get through in order to get to the rewards of doing the quests and seeing the zones.

One more sticking point for me is the time it takes the game to load when it starts up. I don't know if this is because I'm running it through Steam, running on XP or if it's my processor being slow. Whatever it is, the initial load time is lame.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

The only problem i have with the game is combat. It just feels a bit unresponsive, clumsy and slugish. I do like almost everything else tho. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings Online. Great game in every aspect, except combat which could use improvement. 

(For the record, i did play Lotro a year, and TSW for few months and i do love both games)

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

The combat never bothered me either.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Combat ruins it for me,,, execution is kinda cluncky, but worse is how their skills work, which turns combat intoo repeating the few skills you have over and over....  Its not fun...

however its got the best quest system from any mmo i ever played

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by gambe1

The only problem i have with the game is combat. It just feels a bit unresponsive, clumsy and slugish. I do like almost everything else tho. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings Online. Great game in every aspect, except combat which could use improvement. 

(For the record, i did play Lotro a year, and TSW for few months and i do love both games)

Lotro has really improved over the years...

try and play a warden, solved the combat problems for me, very responsive and u ique combat system it has.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48

Combat is take it or leave it. I can certainly see how it would be considered a chore, I got past it by macroing all my attack chains and it completely changed my relationship to the game. If you don't want to go that route, and don't enjoy counting hits the combat system can be very unenjoyable.

The combat animations are lacking, and if you think looking cool while you are fighting is important you might well be disappointed. Each ability doesn't have a unique animation and odd things happen when you string them together. You get sequences like this.

Take that with my sword.

Ahh my sword has turned into a flamethrower take that with the flamethrower.

Aha my flamethrower is now a book let me wave my empty hands at you.

Yay theres my sword back again.

Not soooo bad really, certainly can work your way around it. I mean i used to play a flight sim where both the planes were individual pixels.

I also have to agree with the person upthread who said the game had steep hardware requirements. If you want to play, you should figure on 60 gig of SSD space for it, 16 gig of memory and a current generation video card. There are serious performance issues with lower end hardware. From what I understand the release version of the game is shipped in debug mode not release mode, giving it a pretty big speed hit. I just looked at my directory and the debug log for the game is hitting a quarter gig by itself.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Combat and animations were never TSWs strong point. They are pretty god-awful. Does anybody remember how terrible the character models used to be as well (not saying they're great now either)? The optimization is pretty trashy too. It runs badly and has never been addressed... AT ALL.

My #1 problem with TSW is the game completely got away from Funcom... again! What happened to all the awesome story, missions and puzzle/riddle solving? That's what was so great about it.

Bleh.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Your right OP.

The world and the missions are awesome but it is let down by a painfully slow and boring combat system.

Age of Conan suffers from the same problem.

If i am grinding through mobs and missions, they should not last longer than 3 seconds, that is the golden rule for any MMO.

Only elites and bosses should be drawn out longer.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

I never understood this.  The combat is just fine.  I mean, watching toons sit in place and hit people is not that fun.

I have never considered MMO combat to be the best feature of the genre myself anyway. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The combat is pretty much the only thing holding me back from really enjoying this game too.  However, I do like the fact that you don't have to re-roll a toon to try to find the fighting style that suits you best.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by sethman75

Your right OP.

The world and the missions are awesome but it is let down by a painfully slow and boring combat system.

Age of Conan suffers from the same problem.

If i am grinding through mobs and missions, they should not last longer than 3 seconds, that is the golden rule for any MMO.

Only elites and bosses should be drawn out longer.

3 sec? Maybe it's a golden rule, but I'm sure none of my characters are called Chuck Norris :) (or Hulk, Juggernaut, etc.)

In 3 sec you can build maybe 4 pips, if you're fast enough. Not even get to your first full finisher...

One-shotting mobs is boring and not fun at all. That's why lots and lots of folks are dissatisfied with LotRO's HD expansion. Probably you could hop over to LotRO if you like to waste mobs in 3 seconds... :)

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

The combat is fine it doesn't please the FPS people but it pleases me ( i hate FPS combat style)

to each his own that doesn't mean it "has potential but..." it just mean it is not the game for you

best combat in MMO to date

1) DDO (but is mostly pve so it's hard to really judge it)

2) AOC

3) TSW

tsw 3th because healer are out of control too many bad player reroll healer because is the only class that even if u sux real bad u wont do terrible

a dps that sux die in 1 second and everybody know he sux

a tank that sux is useless and after 2 time u are aware that he sux

a healer that sux still is a pain in the butt

and the fact that u dont need to level as healer but u can level as DPS and then switch to heal when u start PVP with the same char is the trigger of the ocean of healers... you see all those noobs player dps/tank then start pvp and then all switch to heal after 1 week.

(and that's why it seems slow in pvp sometimes everyfking one has one or TWO pocket healers)

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I didn't mind the combat so much as how instanced the world feels.  It doesn't feel like a world at all, just like separate little areas that are no way really connected to each other.  I know a lot of games have zoning but for some reason it just felt even more jarring in this game.  Still loved the questing though