Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Can't wait to see it on PS4." - Smedley

Comments

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by azmundai

great, yet another mmo balanced around reduced interface and communication options .. just what we need.

I'd gladly take a minimal UI and integrated voice chat (more likely due to being standard on consoles) over barrens chat any day of the week.  You're only making points as to why this will be better, not the opposite.  I'm not really sure what you mean about "balanced around" reduced interface...they've already expressed how many actions you'll be using with the bar etc...and really there have been ZERO challenging MMOs in the history of...ever...so please lets not pretend as if you're worrying about it being "dumbed down".

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Azmundai

The good news is you can use a USB keyboard and mouse with the PS4 plus with SoEMote you'll have more communication options than in most games. Or if that's too much integrated voice chat as mentioned above.

Reduced interface is probably not going to be a problem. The latest RT response was about moddable UIs and they said they want people to be able to change it how they like it. I don't think the console version would change the PC UI at all.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Gotterdammer
    Originally posted by krulux

I am a PC gamer.  I own a beast of a PC.  I prefer the superior graphical capability of the PC over a console. 

That said, I do own a PS3 and have enjoyed many titles on the platform... some of them are quite good in fact.  But I prefer the mouse and keyboard setup over the use of a controller.  I solved this issue by using a XIM Edge on most of the PS3 games I own. (Some games, sport titles come to mind, are better using a controller.. IMO)

I would like to see the day when a real gamer's machine launches.  One that will unite Consoler's and PC Gamer's alike.  I think this day will come.  I don't care whether it is Sony or Microsoft or some new company. 

Imagine this.  If we could buy a "Gaming Machine" PC/Console hybrid - that supported in game mouse and keyboard or controllers natively.  It would have a solid processor(s), excellent GFX processor(s) and plenty of RAM.  Developers could write their titles to the maximum capability of the machine.  Consoler's jaw would drop at the power of the platform and PC gamers could enjoy a real gaming machine and not sacrifice GFX or control abilities.  The machine should be around in the $750-1K price range and should serve as required media content dispenser - movies, streamer etc...

Some would say that machine is here - either the XBOne or the PS4.  I think the PS4 is closer to what I imagine - but it is not there yet... at least not in so much as pleasing a PC gamer.

But I hope the day comes when one gaming machine does...

So... Basically the machine you've just described is.... A PC. Yeah, we've had those for years dude, they're awesome. ;)

Cmon Gotter don't be so obtuse.   Think about it, what is the difference here?

With consoles, yes they are PC's but they are all using the exact same components and games can be optomized to a single system.   So no one has an advantage due to superior setup or dollars spent. everyone is on an even playing field.   That is a huge advantage for consoles. Everything is optomized for one system.   Makes things a lot easier for the people making the games.   And its one reason the games look pretty damn good even compared to more expensive systems.

So ya most of us get that they are computers.   As a gaming experience you get 90 % of what your high end PC gamer gets for 1/4 the cost and 90% less hassles.   I think Krulux is right that consoles and games will probably get to a point that people won't give a crap about spending big bucks on hardcore PC rigs.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by deveilblad I saw some people in this thread talking about the 290x or the Titan holding up to the console in the future and stuff...You do realize a Titan costs TWO PS4s right? And thats just the GPU, not even the whole PC...
    What they're getting at is that with a console developers will optimize for the consoles specific hardware. You will never see any PC game optimized specifically for a Titan or a 290X, meaning that the power of those cards will always go largely unused. It's why a direct comparison of console and PC graphics shouldn't really be made. Eventually developers will squeeze every bit of power out of consoles, whereas PC parts most likely won't ever reach their maximum potential. They'll be discarded and replaced with something even more powerful so as to brute force the same type of performance that consoles will see through optimization.

Spot on.
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Stizzled

Originally posted by deveilblad I saw some people in this thread talking about the 290x or the Titan holding up to the console in the future and stuff...You do realize a Titan costs TWO PS4s right? And thats just the GPU, not even the whole PC...
    What they're getting at is that with a console developers will optimize for the consoles specific hardware. You will never see any PC game optimized specifically for a Titan or a 290X, meaning that the power of those cards will always go largely unused. It's why a direct comparison of console and PC graphics shouldn't really be made. Eventually developers will squeeze every bit of power out of consoles, whereas PC parts most likely won't ever reach their maximum potential. They'll be discarded and replaced with something even more powerful so as to brute force the same type of performance that consoles will see through optimization.
    Spot on.

Except...who cares....none of these things relate to how good a game can be made.  Cool, you can't make something that will utilize tri-titans...no one cares!  You know what I care about?  It being FUN, if you're more worried about aesthetics maybe your hobby should be art and not gaming.  The complexity of the game, in no way, is limited by the medium that it's delivered by anymore.  We don't have space restrictions that have to fit on a cartridge or even a CD, so the whole attempted point here is MOOT.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

Originally posted by ego13
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Stizzled Originally posted by deveilblad I saw some people in this thread talking about the 290x or the Titan holding up to the console in the future and stuff...You do realize a Titan costs TWO PS4s right? And thats just the GPU, not even the whole PC...
    Spot on.  
    Except...who cares....none of these things relate to how good a game can be made.  Cool, you can't make something that will utilize tri-titans...no one cares!  You know what I care about?  It being FUN, if you're more worried about aesthetics maybe your hobby should be art and not gaming.  The complexity of the game, in no way, is limited by the medium that it's delivered by anymore.  We don't have space restrictions that have to fit on a cartridge or even a CD, so the whole attempted point here is MOOT.

Spot on as well.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Foomerang lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?

Some people do take the console hate a little far, but consoles ARE the training wheels of the gaming world. That's a fact. Closed, non-upgradable systems of set specs running software that cannot be configured or altered in any meaningful way, extremely limited control sets and only the most basic functionality built in.

Is it really that much of a surprise that people feel that complicated games like MMOs are ruined when designed with consoles in mind? I know I feel that way. If EQN is released with a console minded UI on the PC version, I won't be giving them my money. If they make a PC version with a 100% PC UI and a console version with a 100% console UI, I'm completely fine with that.

Ok fair enough, but I'm tired of hypotheticals. What pc game are you playing right now that has been negatively affected by its console counterpart? I'd really like to know.

If DCUO is any indication. If DEFIANT is any indication. We always end up With horrible console UI´s on the PC verison. /shrug

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Gotterdammer Originally posted by Foomerang lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?
        Some people do take the console hate a little far, but consoles ARE the training wheels of the gaming world. That's a fact. Closed, non-upgradable systems of set specs running software that cannot be configured or altered in any meaningful way, extremely limited control sets and only the most basic functionality built in. Is it really that much of a surprise that people feel that complicated games like MMOs are ruined when designed with consoles in mind? I know I feel that way. If EQN is released with a console minded UI on the PC version, I won't be giving them my money. If they make a PC version with a 100% PC UI and a console version with a 100% console UI, I'm completely fine with that.
    Ok fair enough, but I'm tired of hypotheticals. What pc game are you playing right now that has been negatively affected by its console counterpart? I'd really like to know.  
    If DCUO is any indication. If DEFIANT is any indication. We always end up With horrible console UI´s on the PC verison. /shrug

So what you're saying is its a UI thing. Which is something that will improve the more it is implemented. I remember how horrible the camera angles were when 3d graphics began replacing 2d. Devs eventually figured it out. Happens all the time. MMO ui's are something that is relatively new to most developers. Even pc exclusive mmos are hit and miss. The more games that are made, the more it will be refined. Hardly something I'd use to decry all consoles or whatever their rant is.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by Foomerang lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?

Some people do take the console hate a little far, but consoles ARE the training wheels of the gaming world. That's a fact. Closed, non-upgradable systems of set specs running software that cannot be configured or altered in any meaningful way, extremely limited control sets and only the most basic functionality built in.

Is it really that much of a surprise that people feel that complicated games like MMOs are ruined when designed with consoles in mind? I know I feel that way. If EQN is released with a console minded UI on the PC version, I won't be giving them my money. If they make a PC version with a 100% PC UI and a console version with a 100% console UI, I'm completely fine with that.

What about FFXIV? That has a pretty standard WoW interface on the PC and runs fine on a console.  DCUO screwed it up initially with the menus being targeted at console players, but they have long since fixed this.

There is pretty much nothing a console controller cant do that a mouse / keyboard could aside from typing to other players, which is redundant in this day and age with voice chat accessibility.    

EQN has already shown that they are only going to have 8 active skills. I don't see how anyone thinks that would be hard to translate to a console.  GW2 only has 10 active skills, and was designed without consoles in mind but plays well on a gamepad.  TERA was also designed with PCs in mind and has a control system that is easily played with a gamepad.

The shift away from 20 hotbars has nothing to do with the console market, and more to do with the fact that most of those hotbars are full of redundant skills that either get macroed or forgotten.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Is Age of Conan still coming to Xbox 360?!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Is Age of Conan still coming to Xbox 360?!

no :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-25-no-plans-for-age-of-conan-on-xbox-360

i believe Funcom has never released a game for console

Joystiqs list of forthcoming console mmos

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/24/coming-soon-to-a-console-near-you-mmos/

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I really don't understand the hostility towards having this on the console as well. I think I personally will have it on the PC but I like having the option. As far as the 8 abilities limit, I also do not see an issue with this. The biggest array of useful spells I have ever seen came from EQ, because that game gave you a ton of diversity. I realize that 8 abilities seems kind of limited however given the type of gameplay it is which looks to be action orientated, I think 8 is a good number. If you take into consideration the vast amount of classes that will be available I think 8 makes sense, besides that is just currently equipped. I assume it will be about 16 unique spells per class, give or take.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

have fun healing in raids .. which is why it has no raids, same reason teso has no raids. built for controllers == single player game with some token group content sprinkled around to trick the ppl that dont research into thinking its an mmo.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

have fun healing in raids .. which is why it has no raids, same reason teso has no raids. built for controllers == single player game with some token group content sprinkled around to trick the ppl that dont research into thinking its an mmo.

Ignorance must really be bliss.  Guess large scale warfare (TESO) isn't the same as a raid to you.  And, really, who cares about traditional garbage raids where the only challenge is compensating for the lowest common denominator not pulling their mediocre numbers.

Again you prove you're not looking for a good game, you're only looking to make asinine assumptions about things you clearly know zero about.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

funny, cause a controller , especially the ps4 one has literally dozens of key combos.

in eq i was a high end raid cleric, and used less than 10 healing in raids

the controller thing is just another excuse from the ego-centric pc crowd.

hmm,  i even used a alienware ps controller to play my maxed mage raiding  in wow, before i retired.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Originally posted by killahh

funny, cause a controller , especially the ps4 one has literally dozens of key combos.

in eq i was a high end raid cleric, and used less than 10 healing in raids

the controller thing is just another excuse from the ego-centric pc crowd.

hmm,  i even used a alienware ps controller to play my maxed mage raiding  in wow, before i retired.

It's funny because you could EASILY use the d-pad to setup a couple focus targets and then just use the d-pad specifically to move through raid targets, etc..  Having one hotkey to jump to focus targets instantly.   There....a solution that would probably work BETTER than mouse and keyboard in about 2 minutes...I would hope that a development team with many people, minds, and more time could top that.

Originally posted by killahh Originally posted by azmundai have fun healing in raids .. which is why it has no raids, same reason teso has no raids. built for controllers == single player game with some token group content sprinkled around to trick the ppl that dont research into thinking its an mmo.
    funny, cause a controller , especially the ps4 one has literally dozens of key combos. in eq i was a high end raid cleric, and used less than 10 healing in raids the controller thing is just another excuse from the ego-centric pc crowd. hmm,  i even used a alienware ps controller to play my maxed mage raiding  in wow, before i retired.  
    It's funny because you could EASILY use the d-pad to setup a couple focus targets and then just use the d-pad specifically to move through raid targets, etc..  Having one hotkey to jump to focus targets instantly.   There....a solution that would probably work BETTER than mouse and keyboard in about 2 minutes...I would hope that a development team with many people, minds, and more time could top that.

lol .. cycling through heal targets /facepalm .. in any 1/2 decent encounter, the target you are trying to cycle to would be dead before you hit the button a third time. a perfect example of having to braindead content to fit the controller.

I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by killahh

Originally posted by azmundai have fun healing in raids .. which is why it has no raids, same reason teso has no raids. built for controllers == single player game with some token group content sprinkled around to trick the ppl that dont research into thinking its an mmo.
    funny, cause a controller , especially the ps4 one has literally dozens of key combos. in eq i was a high end raid cleric, and used less than 10 healing in raids the controller thing is just another excuse from the ego-centric pc crowd. hmm,  i even used a alienware ps controller to play my maxed mage raiding  in wow, before i retired.  

lol .. cycling through heal targets /facepalm .. in any 1/2 decent encounter, the target you are trying to cycle to would be dead before you hit the button a third time. a perfect example of having to braindead content to fit the controller.

This is really simple...and I'll try to make it as simple as possible for you:

no mod|......L1.......|......L2

OOO.....|.....OOO....|....OOO

It would be as simple as clicking the spell, then choosing the target.  No direction is obviously center, then you just move the left analog to the spot where you're aiming the spell with or without the mod key.  Thanks for playing!

This means that up to 27 other players are literally one button push away.....this is faster than ANY person could possibly heal with a mouse and keyboard.  I realize that this kind of creative thinking is a bit 'complex' so I've given you a nice clear concise chart.

Originally posted by azmundai   Originally posted by ego13 Originally posted by killahh Originally posted by azmundai have fun healing in raids .. which is why it has no raids, same reason teso has no raids. built for controllers == single player game with some token group content sprinkled around to trick the ppl that dont research into thinking its an mmo.

This is really simple...and I'll try to make it as simple as possible for you:

no mod|......L1.......|......L2

It would be as simple as clicking the spell, then choosing the target.  No direction is obviously center, then you just move the left analog to the spot where you're aiming the spell with or without the mod key.  Thanks for playing!

This means that up to 27 other players are literally one button push away.....this is faster than ANY person could possibly heal with a mouse and keyboard.  I realize that this kind of creative thinking is a bit 'complex' so I've given you a nice clear concise chart.

you still have to move, change direction (rotate turning is bad), swing your camera on 2 axis, cast 8 different abilities, jump, dodge, sprint, and so on. add to that the fact that 8 abilities .. sucks. sure, a mage only uses 8 abilities, many classes use more and they are fun because they use more. how is a shaman healer supposed to summon individual totems, and have a heal setup like you describe, and be able to do all of the other things they need to be able to do. simple, he is simplified so that he has 4 totems that all get summoned with 1 button press .. might as well just be a priest in mail with lighting instead of holy.

no question, these days mmos only need 8 abilities .. because they have been dumbed down so that anyone can faceroll anything. its severly limited when compared to the kind of gameplay that was possible as a druid or a warrior, once upon a time. or a palading or a shaman. when you mastered all of that before macros and nerfs mastered it for you, it was challenging and fun. now you load up the game, mash some buttons and collect your loot. contollers are just going to emphasize this boring, simplified gameplay trend.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Azmundai

1. You would plug your keyboard and mouse into the PS4.

2. The combat system would be aim or area based in which, IMO, would be more involved and fun.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

As if this were even a small surprise.

This thing was headed for the PS4 from the start and designed that way.

How many threads noted the 8 actions in EQN and  8 buttons on a PS controller? A lot? Yeah.

So it is just confirmation of what we already knew, and further evidence that this thing will be dumbed down for console play/interface.

how do you move, pan your camera, and activate spells all at the same time?

with ridiculous 3rd party contraptions which the game most likely wont be designed around.

which essentially means that you will have 5 seconds to do what you need to do in between attacks that could kill you ... or it will be a zergfest like all of those shooter knife fight games that are provide nothing but hilarious videos

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

you still have to move, change direction (rotate turning is bad), swing your camera on 2 axis, cast 8 different abilities, jump, dodge, sprint, and so on. add to that the fact that 8 abilities .. sucks. sure, a mage only uses 8 abilities, many classes use more and they are fun because they use more. how is a shaman healer supposed to summon individual totems, and have a heal setup like you describe, and be able to do all of the other things they need to be able to do. simple, he is simplified so that he has 4 totems that all get summoned with 1 button press .. might as well just be a priest in mail with lighting instead of holy.

no question, these days mmos only need 8 abilities .. because they have been dumbed down so that anyone can faceroll anything. its severly limited when compared to the kind of gameplay that was possible as a druid or a warrior, once upon a time. or a palading or a shaman. when you mastered all of that before macros and nerfs mastered it for you, it was challenging and fun. now you load up the game, mash some buttons and collect your loot. contollers are just going to emphasize this boring, simplified gameplay trend.

WTH are you going on about? Since when do Shamans in EQ have totems? Did I miss an update about EQN? 

Newsflash: MMOS were being dumbed down LOOOOONG BEFORE they came to consoles. Don't blame the consoles, blame the target demographic that devs felt they needed to cater to, you know those "post-WOW" players.

Newsflash: PS4 had planned keyboard/mouse support for complex games since their first spec sheet many many years ago, whether the devs use this or not is on them - https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5087

Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by azmundai you still have to move, change direction (rotate turning is bad), swing your camera on 2 axis, cast 8 different abilities, jump, dodge, sprint, and so on. add to that the fact that 8 abilities .. sucks. sure, a mage only uses 8 abilities, many classes use more and they are fun because they use more. how is a shaman healer supposed to summon individual totems, and have a heal setup like you describe, and be able to do all of the other things they need to be able to do. simple, he is simplified so that he has 4 totems that all get summoned with 1 button press .. might as well just be a priest in mail with lighting instead of holy. no question, these days mmos only need 8 abilities .. because they have been dumbed down so that anyone can faceroll anything. its severly limited when compared to the kind of gameplay that was possible as a druid or a warrior, once upon a time. or a palading or a shaman. when you mastered all of that before macros and nerfs mastered it for you, it was challenging and fun. now you load up the game, mash some buttons and collect your loot. contollers are just going to emphasize this boring, simplified gameplay trend.
    WTH are you going on about? Since when do Shamans in EQ have totems? Did I miss an update about EQN? 

Newsflash: MMOS were being dumbed down LOOOOONG BEFORE they came to consoles. Don't blame the consoles, blame the target demographic that devs felt they needed to cater to, you know those "post-WOW" players.

Newsflash: PS4 had planned keyboard/mouse support for complex games since their first spec sheet many many years ago, whether the devs use this or not is on them - https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5087

im truly sorry you arent able to read an entire post, or talk about an entire genre instead of just 1 ip.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Here's how I look at console ported PC games these days.... I take a look at the not long ago released X Rebirth and their probably 70% refund rate lol. They designed it for console, then whatever secret sauce got in their eyes made them backtrack it, so you ended up with a pc only release designed with the console in mind, almost 90% non-functional on release day, and steam and amazon spent a week just filing refunds XD Numerous patches later and their forums are still full of people looking for money back. When I was a CHILD my parents got me an atari, when I was old enough to handle it they got me a computer. So my view is consoles are for children, enjoy another 50 years of madden/mario/nba jam/zelda rerun/crap.