Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has there been a game since SWG where NPC's recognize keywords in chat?

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Just wondering if any games have used this since then. It was good for laughs, it really didn't serve much purpose in the game but it sure added some comedy.

For those unfamiliar with SWG, basically Imperials reacted to putting the Empire or Vader down in chat. They'd knock you out (literally) Imperials also fined you and would come to collect (and knock you out again if you had no creds). They'd also react to being spit on in the same manner.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Everquest 1. You need to type specific phrases in chat that quest NPC recognize and continue with dialogues
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Everquest 1. You need to type specific phrases in chat that quest NPC recognize and continue with dialogues

Yeah I'm aware Eq1 had it. I'm just wondering if SWG was the last to have it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I havent seen such MMO since 2003 and I played almost all of them. MUDs would be your best bet
  • IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

That was fun, as an imperial officer you could smack em around and they would react.

The Repopulation will have an interesting system dealing with NPCs:

Inquiry System

• XaenexXaenex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I've seen is in the last year, just can't remember the game. Tibia also has this system.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Distopia

Yeah I'm aware Eq1 had it. I'm just wondering if SWG was the last to have it.

Although Asheron's Call came before SWG they didn't really have this feature (they had a couple things like talking out loud during a section of a quest could fail it, but they removed that once it became so easy to chat outside of a game).

However, they recently just added this system into the game so that you could send tells to NPCs and they'd react to certain words and even entire specific phrases.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Shroud of Avatar will have it and I must admit it is one thing that really caught my attention as it has been many many years since I saw a game that offered it. This amazes me seeing how it was one of the very fundamental methods allowing increased interaction within the world. Mmos seemed to have dropped it but it was one of the main methods of communication within rpg games.

You stay sassy!

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Shroud of Avatar will have it and I must admit it is one thing that really caught my attention as it has been many many years since I saw a game that offered it. This amazes me seeing how it was one of the very fundamental methods allowing increased interaction within the world. Mmos seemed to have dropped it but it was one of the main methods of communication within rpg games.

Well for starters the commerce world went global. So if you could in theory develop an MMO that didn't have a single piece of text or dialog and yet could be 100% understood it would be an amazing product because you wouldn't have to spend millions to localize all of the content for every new market.

There is also the fact that the world is all about UIs now. Not just in games, but in all products. If your product has a smoother UI it will sell better even if it has less functionality (go go Apple!!). So MMOs became about how you interact and how much you could do with just a mouse instead of that old fashioned typing thing which is so cumbersome.

• MmoFluffMmoFluff Member Posts: 12

I do remember  that a few years back, there was a fantasy "sandbox" mmo where npc could recognize a lot of words and you literally had to talk to them to trade, quest and what not.

But the rest of the game was an unplayable mess.

They gave beta keys in here.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I suppose the EQ1 mechanism inspired the SWG feature, but they were quite different in intent. In EQ1 the player/NPC chat interaction had a clear purpose: it allowed the quest to progress.

But in SWG, it was just random NPC's reacting to chat that they "overheard" or emotes that were performed when you had targeted an NPC. It was purely for immersion and RP, there was no goal to be achieved, no reward to gain or progress to be made. That's one of the myriad small differences between a "virtual world" and a directed "game" experience, I suppose.

• BosianBosian Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Dang I miss SWGimage
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Technically games like FFXIV/WoW where you have to use an emote on an npc is the same type of system.

Though one other game that i knew did it a LOT was Dark Ages. And no i dont mean DAOC. Just Dark Ages. Was a major RP game made by nexon now run by Kru.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I believe Aerrevan does this trick.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I'm rather disappointed games have moved away from npc interactions of this manner. However! I think the technology is there to create more interactive npcs than ever before. For starters you have chat bot tech which at times can be convincingly entertaining. Couple with voice recognition you can have seamless conversations with npcs. Cherry on top is a fully computer voiced npcs. In essence Siri with limited knowledge of responses to stay in character.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Distopia
    Just wondering if any games have used this since then. It was good for laughs, it really didn't serve much purpose in the game but it sure added some comedy.For those unfamiliar with SWG, basically Imperials reacted to putting the Empire or Vader down in chat. They'd knock you out (literally) Imperials also fined you and would come to collect (and knock you out again if you had no creds). They'd also react to being spit on in the same manner.
    I don't think so. Chatting with NPCs has become "blase" presently. Instead, most MMOs just have canned responses in a dialogue box. I miss actually typing in chat with NPCs...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by MmoFluff

I do remember  that a few years back, there was a fantasy "sandbox" mmo where npc could recognize a lot of words and you literally had to talk to them to trade, quest and what not.

But the rest of the game was an unplayable mess.

They gave beta keys in here.

Lol yeah Planeshift. Absolute mess of a game that has a total of 5 players, roleplaying as NPC's (seriously, they stand there and just give you quest text if you type the right goddamn thing). In all honesty though I wish its features would've been fully developed and it being a nice game for a certain niche of gamers. Great plan spearheaded by devs who snort dry paint shavings.

• DolnorDolnor Member UncommonPosts: 32

Yes OP.  There.com both recognizes words in written chat and VOICE CHAT to envoke emote response to the words.

So you say:  "I'm pretty sad, my cat died today" in text OR voice chat and your avatar will frown and look sad.

"I am so glad to day I got a pay raise!  Hooray!" will cause your avatar to smile and jump for joy!

Yeah, the technology is there.  I haven't seen it implemented elsewhere yet.

Oh...FYI....Star Citizen plans to incorporate player facial tracking via your web cam to make your avatar's facial movement mimic what you are actually displaying whilst playing their game! -)

TQQdles™

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Shroud of the Avatar has this - chat system similar to EQ and SWG with npc's
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Dolnor

Yes OP.  There.com both recognizes words in written chat and VOICE CHAT to envoke emote response to the words.

So you say:  "I'm pretty sad, my cat died today" in text OR voice chat and your avatar will frown and look sad.

"I am so glad to day I got a pay raise!  Hooray!" will cause your avatar to smile and jump for joy!

Yeah, the technology is there.  I haven't seen it implemented elsewhere yet.

Oh...FYI....Star Citizen plans to incorporate player facial tracking via your web cam to make your avatar's facial movement mimic what you are actually displaying whilst playing their game! -)

TQQdles™

That sounds all grand in concept but if they can track your face what else can they track?  When will the government decide to take over this technology to spy on us?  Will we be allowed to disable it and the game features continue to run?  Think I'm paranoid?  Good.  I think about 10% of the game consumers research what they are buying and 1% of that understand what they're researching.  Rumor has it Xbox One scans for how many people are sitting in front the console and if it doesn't think it's who is suppose to be there or to many peeps who don't own an account are there the system shuts down.  With every advance in technology comes a price.  I hope everyone knows we're dancing on a fine line - of late.