Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - What if Vanguard actually released properly in 2014 - would you play it?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

It's an alternate universe far far away and the horrible launch and quick death of Vanguard never happened......  Actually it never even released and is coming out this upcoming year.......   It is in a finished state, not rushed, not full of bugs, and has a large development team that will stay with the game.........  and the mmo community in this day and age is wanting more and more something different than the generic themepark clones we have been fed for 10 years.........

Seriously folks, would this game released properly in this day and age not get you excited?  I've played so many mmo's where people will talk about things that they wish someone would make in an mmo and I've thought how Vanguard already has that.  Yeah in some aspects it was still a theme park but anyone who really played the game knows it was way more than just that.

Update - this is a list of current features Vanguard already has, there seemed to be some confusion over this:

2.  No instancing at all in the giant game world

3.  Open world housing (also non instanced)

4.  Ship building and sailing

5.  Fishing that is actually interactive and deep like the crafting system

6.  Group focused content

7.  Diplomacy system

8.  Harvesting system that is interactive and incorporates group harvesting

9.  Challenging content, corpse runs, etc.

10.  Tons of class and race options.

11.  Giant world that creates a sense of wonder and immersion.

12.  Over 120 non instanced dungeons

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    of course. My only problem with that game is the rigid character animations (slow combat), models, and the god awful stuttering between chunks. I still think it's one of the better mmos out there for exploration and difficulty.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    Do you mean it launches with updated graphics? If so, then yes, I'd play it. But if it launched today with the existing graphics? Probably not.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    No proper PVP model, so no

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I would play Ultima Online or Asheron's Call again if they updated the games and re-released them.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Probably for a bit. But I rather play a sandbox but I'd give it a chance just because I like the genre.
  • BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Hell yea, in a heartbeat, id actually be playing it now if my guild had not moved on to other games.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    I tried to play Vanguard but it kept crashing my PC.  Let me change your scenario a bit.  What if COMPUTERS actually released properly and were not pieces of crap secretary masterbaitting machines but were all AFFORDABLE god-like gamer PC's that worked?  Yeah, have a go at that then maybe I could play shit with decent graphics and laggy games like Vanguard as well.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    I would play Ultima Online or Asheron's Call again if they updated the games and re-released them.

I rather play games like UO with different lore and world.  I am burned out on it.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Yup.. It's what I'm playing at the moment anyways.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If the game would run smoothly , yes.  I remember getting stuck in a rock within my first half hour in the game.  Ive debated about returning many times but always find reasons not to.  
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Once quests became useless compared to just grinding in a dungeon to level and gain equipment, I was done with the game.  Releasing in 2014 wouldn't change the grind.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by olepi
    Do you mean it launches with updated graphics? If so, then yes, I'd play it. But if it launched today with the existing graphics? Probably not.

Not so much the graphics.... But the annimations where the killer for me, if they added gw2 annimations... I would be tempted.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

If the game had any kind of community I'd probably give it a shot (Never have I played the game)

But from what I hear, the features that is has really attracts me, but the lack of population makes me not play the game.

• HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69
    The philosophy behind content creation in the game was pretty solid, but the implementation was a miss.  If they could release it today as a proper, bug-free, and smoothly functioning game, sure.  Unfortunately players in this genre seem to have a very low tolerance for a miss and I think that ship has long since sailed.  Too bad too as there was tremendous potential from that title.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

The game they were beginning to develop in beta? Sure I'd play it; however, they wowified the game 1-2 weeks before release, which made it a game I wouldn't pee on if it was on fire.

Ultimately they chose a very poor engine from the start so it really had no chance no matter how much they threw at it but it could have been a lot better then the dung heap it's become these days. Brad McQuaid even came back in an attempt to fix it but quickly found out that both his babies were beyond fixing, inevitably getting fired over it.

Pathfinder may offer a true Vanguard experience but you'd be a fool to hold your breath.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

^--- this post is a perfect example of why there's no money in making cutting edge graphics for most developers. Doing so means having to do a graphics overhaul every three years or gamers will reject/leave it, no matter how much they like the gameplay.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Many years I have played most of MMOs that I can get to, released, beta or alpha. Vanguard still is the best Themepark mmo in my memory, maybe I will still playing it of was properly managed.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    If the graphics were updated, and the animations were smooth and responsive, then yes.

You make me like charity

• HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

^--- this post is a perfect example of why there's no money in making cutting edge graphics for most developers. Doing so means having to do a graphics overhaul every three years or gamers will reject/leave it, no matter how much they like the gameplay.

If that were true many, many games would have long since been gone.  Graphics get people in the door.  Community and gameplay keep them there.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by olepi Do you mean it launches with updated graphics? If so, then yes, I'd play it. But if it launched today with the existing graphics? Probably not.

That is why EVE isn't improving the graphics...?

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I would be playing it right now if the classes had actual choice involved with them. Nothing bothers me more then when gear is the only difference between two characters of the same class. I guess this is why I prefer eq2.
  • DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

I've been playing VG since it launched. I too always feel sad when I see people posting on here about what they want and knowing VG has just about all of it, but they probably have never and won't ever try it. All because of the bad launch horror stories or now, its age.

I'd hardly call VG wowified. It has both elements of sandboxes and themeparks in it, and it is more quest driven than straight grinding, but it's far from WoW or many of its clones. It does so many things well, and actually not all that many things badly anymore.

The graphics overall are still actually pretty damn good, I think. The graphic design and landscapes/world especially. The character models and animations, though, need updating. But I'm willing to look past those, always have been in games if the gameplay and community are good. Server performance has been an issue for many, although the game has been heavily optimized recently to cut back on all that. The game isn't really the ghost town many believe it to be either, although if you play at really off times it might be pretty sparse.

Apart from those things though, and PvP, which I know some people really do want, and that's fine, VG does so much stuff really well. If the type of game at all interests you, you should at least try it out.

There was actually just a rather large patch to VG yesterday where they did a big round of optimizations and updates, with a new big raid dungeon coming out soon.

Edit: I can't spell apparently.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326

When it first released I enjoyed it a lot until the bugs became too much- when I tried it latterly it was still fun but receiving too little love from the devs.  

So yes if it got updated graphically and a few other tweaks and patches I would play it.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Vanguard was... quite horrible at launch. It really fuels that bias against it. Perhaps if done right I'd enjoy it. In the end though it WAS released before so my bias will keep it as a "Meh". Given it was a new game though I'd think I'm be relatively excited, given they do 'modernize' the game a little... and I mean a little and NOT all the modern stuff they added. 

It being themepark at all doesn't bother me. Most people who cry for sandbox don't actually WANT a sandbox, I'd gamble my money on it that a lot would quickly leave a sandbox game due to either having nothing to really do that feels meaningful, or simply falling behind as chances are certain groups would take control and as time goes on that control would only become more and more cemented with very little chance of ever being dethroned EVER without something on their end causing it.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I probably wouldn't play it anymore than I did, and I kept going back hoping for something more.  On paper it has almost everything I want.  In practice it was just "ok", nothing that was great IMO.  A good MMO IMO does something great, VG didn't do anything great, it's like the devs for each feature reached a point and said good enough giving IMO the whole game a feel of meh.

Housing was very limited

Diplomacy while being different from anything else IMO was just boring.  Crafting was a button mash. 

Harvesting was meh

Quests, dungeons were pretty standard

Classes, some were interesting, some had interesting twists (E.g bard making the songs)- others were just new twists for what we've seen for decades

Models looked ok, animations were not very good IMO

The world did not give me a sense of wonder or immersion

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.