Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Can't wait to see it on PS4." - Smedley

Comments

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

I am a PC gamer.  I own a beast of a PC.  I prefer the superior graphical capability of the PC over a console. 

That said, I do own a PS3 and have enjoyed many titles on the platform... some of them are quite good in fact.  But I prefer the mouse and keyboard setup over the use of a controller.  I solved this issue by using a XIM Edge on most of the PS3 games I own. (Some games, sport titles come to mind, are better using a controller.. IMO)

I would like to see the day when a real gamer's machine launches.  One that will unite Consoler's and PC Gamer's alike.  I think this day will come.  I don't care whether it is Sony or Microsoft or some new company. 

Imagine this.  If we could buy a "Gaming Machine" PC/Console hybrid - that supported in game mouse and keyboard or controllers natively.  It would have a solid processor(s), excellent GFX processor(s) and plenty of RAM.  Developers could write their titles to the maximum capability of the machine.  Consoler's jaw would drop at the power of the platform and PC gamers could enjoy a real gaming machine and not sacrifice GFX or control abilities.  The machine should be around in the $750-1K price range and should serve as required media content dispenser - movies, streamer etc...

Some would say that machine is here - either the XBOne or the PS4.  I think the PS4 is closer to what I imagine - but it is not there yet... at least not in so much as pleasing a PC gamer.

But I hope the day comes when one gaming machine does...

• GotterdammerGotterdammer Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Gotterdammer

Originally posted by Foomerang lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?

Some people do take the console hate a little far, but consoles ARE the training wheels of the gaming world. That's a fact. Closed, non-upgradable systems of set specs running software that cannot be configured or altered in any meaningful way, extremely limited control sets and only the most basic functionality built in.

Is it really that much of a surprise that people feel that complicated games like MMOs are ruined when designed with consoles in mind? I know I feel that way. If EQN is released with a console minded UI on the PC version, I won't be giving them my money. If they make a PC version with a 100% PC UI and a console version with a 100% console UI, I'm completely fine with that.

Ok fair enough, but I'm tired of hypotheticals. What pc game are you playing right now that has been negatively affected by its console counterpart? I'd really like to know.

It would probably be easier to list the games that haven't been effected by it. Any game that was made for consoles and ported to PC has some sort of issue, be it locked FPS (NFS Rivals, for instance. What a joke), terrible FoV, lack of graphics options, terrible low res textures, lack of decent control binding, lack of good mouse support. You name it, I've run across it this year.

Most of my time is spent playing MMOs, though, and thankfully they still are PC only for the most part so I don't really have to worry about it.

• GotterdammerGotterdammer Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by krulux

I am a PC gamer.  I own a beast of a PC.  I prefer the superior graphical capability of the PC over a console. 

That said, I do own a PS3 and have enjoyed many titles on the platform... some of them are quite good in fact.  But I prefer the mouse and keyboard setup over the use of a controller.  I solved this issue by using a XIM Edge on most of the PS3 games I own. (Some games, sport titles come to mind, are better using a controller.. IMO)

I would like to see the day when a real gamer's machine launches.  One that will unite Consoler's and PC Gamer's alike.  I think this day will come.  I don't care whether it is Sony or Microsoft or some new company. 

Imagine this.  If we could buy a "Gaming Machine" PC/Console hybrid - that supported in game mouse and keyboard or controllers natively.  It would have a solid processor(s), excellent GFX processor(s) and plenty of RAM.  Developers could write their titles to the maximum capability of the machine.  Consoler's jaw would drop at the power of the platform and PC gamers could enjoy a real gaming machine and not sacrifice GFX or control abilities.  The machine should be around in the $750-1K price range and should serve as required media content dispenser - movies, streamer etc...

Some would say that machine is here - either the XBOne or the PS4.  I think the PS4 is closer to what I imagine - but it is not there yet... at least not in so much as pleasing a PC gamer.

But I hope the day comes when one gaming machine does...

So... Basically the machine you've just described is.... A PC. Yeah, we've had those for years dude, they're awesome. ;)

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by olepi
    " ... 4 weapon skills and 4 abilies map perfectly to 8 buttons ..."

Nobody will need more than 4 skills and 4 abilities in an MMO.

Sigh.

GW2 has more than enough skills per class and could be mapped to 8 buttons. As long as you can swap around some of those 8 buttons in combat it works fine. Games like WoW have too many skills. Basically any game where you are building macros or running mods to make your play more efficient has too many skills. Vanilla WoW was ok for the number of skills but eventually it just reached a point where it was a chore.

In EQN's system you can also combine multiple skills into one. Things like combine shadow step with backstab etc.

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by krulux

The Steam boxes are probably closest to this vision, although you'd probably have to have an AMD card with Mantle to come close to what a weaker console could achieve. So basically it's getting there. We'll have good looking family room friendly PC boxes next year with an API from AMD which allows efficient 3D and several engines using it.

Though frankly no matter what will happen some people will complain. That's just the way it is. Has more to do with how people are than what the industry is like.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Gotterdammer Originally posted by Foomerang lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?
        Some people do take the console hate a little far, but consoles ARE the training wheels of the gaming world. That's a fact. Closed, non-upgradable systems of set specs running software that cannot be configured or altered in any meaningful way, extremely limited control sets and only the most basic functionality built in. Is it really that much of a surprise that people feel that complicated games like MMOs are ruined when designed with consoles in mind? I know I feel that way. If EQN is released with a console minded UI on the PC version, I won't be giving them my money. If they make a PC version with a 100% PC UI and a console version with a 100% console UI, I'm completely fine with that.
    Ok fair enough, but I'm tired of hypotheticals. What pc game are you playing right now that has been negatively affected by its console counterpart? I'd really like to know.  
    It would probably be easier to list the games that haven't been effected by it. Any game that was made for consoles and ported to PC has some sort of issue, be it locked FPS (NFS Rivals, for instance. What a joke), terrible FoV, lack of graphics options, terrible low res textures, lack of decent control binding, lack of good mouse support. You name it, I've run across it this year.

Most of my time is spent playing MMOs, though, and thankfully they still are PC only for the most part so I don't really have to worry about it.

Ok so is there an mmo you are currently playing that has been made worse because of a console port?

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

So... Basically the machine you've just described is.... A PC. Yeah, we've had those for years dude, they're awesome. ;)

I agree the PC is awesome.  I've been a PC gamer since the first time I sat in front of an Apple computer in High School nearly 30 years ago.... (my first "computer" was an Atari 400, then a used Commodore 64 - then finally a real computer in the PC386 and Tie Fighter!!! LOL)

What I envision however is not here.... yet.  I imagine my vision will be as powerful as a PC, and could even be used a PC... but it would be mass produced like consoles are now.

I imagine a legion of fans playing this gaming machine on a truly massive scale - with the best, most amazing MMO ever conceived... haha.  I can dream it anyway...

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Originally posted by Ender4

" ... 4 weapon skills and 4 abilies map perfectly to 8 buttons ..."

Nobody will need more than 4 skills and 4 abilities in an MMO.

Sigh.

GW2 has more than enough skills per class and could be mapped to 8 buttons. As long as you can swap around some of those 8 buttons in combat it works fine. Games like WoW have too many skills. Basically any game where you are building macros or running mods to make your play more efficient has too many skills. Vanilla WoW was ok for the number of skills but eventually it just reached a point where it was a chore.

In EQN's system you can also combine multiple skills into one. Things like combine shadow step with backstab etc.

I believe you are making my point for me. What if there were 10 buttons? Would you then say 10 is enough? I'm playing a pet class in an MMO, and my pet has more than 8 buttons! And my main character regularly uses more than 10.

Now, because the PS4 only has 8 buttons, that is "enough".

Sigh.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    As soon as PS4 has some really good games, I'm going to be buying one.  So this is good news for me.  I would love to play this game on my 60 inch 3d plasma.  The only thing that worries me is communication.  I hate voice but it's probably something I will have to get over.

Originally posted by Ender4   Originally posted by olepi " ... 4 weapon skills and 4 abilies map perfectly to 8 buttons ..."   Nobody will need more than 4 skills and 4 abilities in an MMO. Sigh.
      GW2 has more than enough skills per class and could be mapped to 8 buttons. As long as you can swap around some of those 8 buttons in combat it works fine. Games like WoW have too many skills. Basically any game where you are building macros or running mods to make your play more efficient has too many skills. Vanilla WoW was ok for the number of skills but eventually it just reached a point where it was a chore. In EQN's system you can also combine multiple skills into one. Things like combine shadow step with backstab etc.
    I believe you are making my point for me. What if there were 10 buttons? Would you then say 10 is enough? I'm playing a pet class in an MMO, and my pet has more than 8 buttons! And my main character regularly uses more than 10.

Now, because the PS4 only has 8 buttons, that is "enough".

Sigh.

And the MMORPG you are playing has too many skills is my point. I'd say somewhere in the 15-20 range (at a time mind you) is probably optimal. There is no real reason to have more other than to add an illusion of depth that is really just clutter at that point. WoW as an example would be a better game if you had to choose between the 100 skills for your class and only have like 15-20 active at any time.

If you can have say 2 weapons and swap back and forth and then have two class loadouts and swap between those plus the ability to twist skills together you have more than enough skills and a controller can handle that setup.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I am actually looking forward to this on PS4, and ESO on console as well.

I have been a hardcore PC player for years, but the older I get the less I fell like getting off work and sitting in front of a PC for hours to play an MMO. I much prefer the recliner, controller and a 50" TV to play on.

This is just probably me and my preference for comfort more than any real desire to play on a console. If they would enable controller support on the PC versions I would buy and play the PC version for sure.

Sitting in front of a keyboard gets uncomfortable in short order for me, guess I am getting old =(

While I personally am looking forward to the PS4 MMOs I can see why others are not. Even a year or two ago I would have agreed. Things change tho and games in general are being designed with console in mind, like it or not.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    If it is being made for the console as well as the PC, count me out. FFXIV 2.0 did that and look at it: Limited zone sizes that feel maze-like, no exploration, lots of loading screens... MMORPGs made for the console and the PC is something I truly despise. Yes, there are open world games that are huge for both the console and and PC like Skyrim, but until I see an MMORPG that is able to pull of the same thing, I'm going to believe that it is something that isn't possible or that MMO developers are unwilling to implement it.

Smile

Or just something that wasn't possible before this new generation of consoles? PC power is not going up exponentially anymore. Heck I used to replace mine almost every year and now they are good for 4 or 5 years since the upgrades are generally small. The new consoles blow away the old ones at this point. The gap between PC and Console has shrunk considerably.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    If it is being made for the console as well as the PC, count me out. FFXIV 2.0 did that and look at it: Limited zone sizes that feel maze-like, no exploration, lots of loading screens... MMORPGs made for the console and the PC is something I truly despise. Yes, there are open world games that are huge for both the console and and PC like Skyrim, but until I see an MMORPG that is able to pull of the same thing, I'm going to believe that it is something that isn't possible or that MMO developers are unwilling to implement it.

Planetside 2? You're looking at issues that plagued the PS3's inferior memory, the PS4 doesn't have such limitations.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Distopia

Planetside 2? You're looking at issues that plagued the PS3's inferior memory, the PS4 doesn't have such limitations.

I said MMORPG. Not an online FPS. And either way, consoles simply do not make for good MMORPGs. MMORPGs are not only supposed to be massive, but they are a social experience that just doesn't equate with consoles.

Smile

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    PS4 has native support for a keyboard and mouse. The world size is a non issue as it relates to consoles either. The new PS4 architecture is really close to PC which was intended for cross overs. The extend of the old console/PC incompatibilities just don't exist anymore, at least where the PS4 is concerned.

One could argue that the smaller pool of activated skills is a console-based bad aspect but that's speculation of the cause and depending on the passive/class build effects with the combat system it may turn out really good. The rest of the console/PC points just don't apply anymore IMO.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Given that all recent SoE MMOs have been cross-format, this really shouldn't come as a surprise.  They would be stupid not to convert it given the competition in ESO and FFXIV for the console market.

Personally I think with voice chat now so accessible, and the SoEmote technology, there is no reason a MMO couldn't work on a console.

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I play ffxiv with gamepad. I play a pet class. I am able to comfortably use 32 skills ........and could do more if I needed......

Really this PC vs Console thing is just getting silly. Its going to happen. Deal with it. And just as an fyi. I can appreciate depth and complexity but not just for its own sake. If it over burdens or is not fun then that pretty much means a games purpose is to be different and complex. And not to be..... you know fun?

I do play games on PC but I prefer to play them on console when I can. Its not about graphics. Its about gameplay and fun. Some of the best times ive ever had playing games were old Nintendo games. Zelda. Mario. Metroid. None of which were overly complex or incredibly deep. But it was hella fun so who gives a fuck?

The only major disadvantage ive ever had in PvP using a gamepad against PC players is against mouse target. The amount of crying id here if more people on GW2 new they got beaten with a filthy gamepad user in PvP would be epic. That being said, if I want to play on gamepad against Kb and mouse in a FPS. Why do you care? You can get more wins to stroke your epeen. Games should be about fun and who are you to tell me what the "right" way to play is. My opinion is just as meaningless as yours.

IDK. I do have to question if some MMO players are real gamers or just philosophical forum dwelling psuedo gamers. I play all games on all systems and play quite a few on PCs. I do prefer gamepad but also play KB and mouse. To me its as natural to play games with KB and mouse as it would be to drive my car with kb and mouse. Just crazy and extremely unintuative and uncomfortable.

Anyways just lets ackolodge different people like different things and lets just get along and have fun playing games. Not bitching cuz the devs didnt cater to your specific tastes. In the words of elitist PC gamers: Learn to play.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

I said MMORPG. Not an online FPS. And either way, consoles simply do not make for good MMORPGs. MMORPGs are not only supposed to be massive, but they are a social experience that just doesn't equate with consoles.

Well first PS2 is a MMOFPS, with a huge world (which the large world was your criteria), second I had plenty of social experiences in EQOLA back in the day.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

This is a non issue for me rooted in past stereotyping that is no longer relevant.

Developers have worked out ways to use a controller for complex gameplay with many buttons and did so a while ago.The new generation of consoles have specs equivalent to a middle of the road PC which is the target area of PC game development any way so the technical limitations are a non issue.

As long as the UI is optimized for the for platform it is on and not ad hoc  then there is no issue.

Some people still haven't left 2003/2004 and I'm saying that as a PC gamer of several decades.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Amsai
    I play ffxiv with gamepad. I play a pet class. I am able to comfortably use 32 skills ........and could do more if I needed......

Really this PC vs Console thing is just getting silly. Its going to happen.

i haven't played any console mmos yet but thanks for posting

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    No problem ^^

Im happy to dispel ignorance. FFXI wa also awesome to play on console........ though I will admit it was horrible on PC. So yes if a game is not made for both platforms in mind then it can be an issue. But as long as devs are smart about it then it can be done.

Many of the arguments I see against ganes on consoles dont seen legitimately pc vs console so much as it is personal opinion. Like graphics. Thats really a pesonal hang up. Now mouse aim vs analog stick aim is a legitimate issue. All other issues seem like non issues to me or are heavy with false info and misconceptions or just plain lies. Lies like skyrim playing differently on pc vs console. Graphics are better. But console isnt suoer easy mode...... dude must have been playing it on the lowest difficulty. Or maybe he was high?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I haven't been able to take anything he claims or says seriously ever since he bragged about how the "/pizza" command in EQ2 would revolutionize the industry.  He's like a living hyperbole.  

You make me like charity

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I welcome EQNext on PS4, and looking forward to it.

I do not understand why so many people have an aversion to console gaming, or pick sides in these silly "xbox vs ps" debacles. I could understand if the game was going to become unplayable by porting to console, but it is being built from the ground up to support gamepads. Also the current iteration of consoles are vastly superior to the last generation, so I repeat once again: I don't see what the problem is here.

If you're worried about the degenerate crowd of casual gamers invading your space, it's a little too late for that post-WOW.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by killahh
    Originally posted by Foomerang

lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?

You have to wonder, lol

LOL I know right?

Yeah I love MMO's, but I love me a good console game also.

side note: FFXI was on xbox360, PC and PS2 & 3....that was a really solid MMO.

Me thinks many who complain have never tried. (Or are to poor to afford a console)

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos