Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual tabletop war games

2»

Comments

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Star Wars Battle Chess is now abandonware so you can get it for free.  http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/5205/  
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

thanks for the links! i'll take a look.

btw, Nadia posted above about this game: http://game.cardhunter.com/

it's actually pretty fun.

--------------------------------------------------

i went looking for those and found out that Battle Chess was having a remake done puportedly for release this year on Steam. i couldn't find it, but i did find this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211070/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by dave6660

Looking for PC boardgames, myself, I saw Days of Wonder had some of theirs on Steam. So I went there and searched for "board games." Memoir 44 is available (free), though from this excerpt of the game, I am curious how it plays:
    "The first 2 scenarios, Pegasus Bridge and Juno Beach, are entirely free. Other scenarios require the use of Gold Ingots (Memoir '44 in-game currency). You receive an initial 50 Free Gold Ingots to try these out. Play beyond that limit requires the purchase of additional Gold Ingots."

I'm still browsing through the list, but thought I'd share that :)

I might have to give it a try.  The only game I've heard of from Days of Wonders is Ticket to Ride.

Do you know if they keep to the real board game or try to turn it into an RTS?

Sorry, Dave, I do not know.

gah!

Just cal me HALBQuirky :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by aspekx

Looking for PC boardgames, myself, I saw Days of Wonder had some of theirs on Steam. So I went there and searched for "board games." Memoir 44 is available (free), though from this excerpt of the game, I am curious how it plays:
    "The first 2 scenarios, Pegasus Bridge and Juno Beach, are entirely free. Other scenarios require the use of Gold Ingots (Memoir '44 in-game currency). You receive an initial 50 Free Gold Ingots to try these out. Play beyond that limit requires the purchase of additional Gold Ingots."

I'm still browsing through the list, but thought I'd share that :)

I might have to give it a try.  The only game I've heard of from Days of Wonders is Ticket to Ride.

Do you know if they keep to the real board game or try to turn it into an RTS?

Sorry, Dave, I do not know.

gah!

Just cal me HALBQuirky :)

haha!

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Maybe we'll finally see a proper Warhammer game.

Why would Games Workshop kill their only real money maker?

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

You might enjoy The Banner Saga. 

http://stoicstudio.com/

ft's also on Steam if you want to download that way.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by dave6660 Maybe we'll finally see a proper Warhammer game.

*sigh* because if they did a digital game exactly like the table top version, I still have to buy my army, 'paint' it, etc etc. They would not lose money, they would probably make a lot more as some people (me included) do not have time (nor a area safe from children) to try and paint an entire army up, then travel around to different places just to have a match. If I could do it all on line I would, and I am sure others feel the same way.

That clear it up for you? No one is asking for a handout.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263

I have two armies and have had both 5th and 6th edition books...and have never played a game of Warhammer 40k. Because the only place around where I live that has people come play tabletop games is a 2hr drive. Their open tabletop night is the ONLY night you're allowed to occupy the tabletops with Warhammer games of over 500pts. Because they only have a small handful of table but have roughly 30+ people showing up to play Warhammer and Warmachine on any given night. So Between the distance to get there, and the fact there's so many people that you have to practically yell to speak to the person across from you. I have yet to really play since i'm not inviting someone I don't know from some register or something show up to my house or vice-versa.

If there they were to create an online game where you bought your army in the same kind of sets as the models in real life. Then offer different paints/inks/tools with a good customization interface to paint and customize each model...or even just one and then clone it to however many others. They could make a decent amount of money charging for models and all the customization options. Then charge people to participate in tournaments and army customization contests, then provide rewards for winning with in-game currency or unique customization options for army customization contests. Then offer a means of using in-game currency to order tabletop models/paints from games-workshop or even "cash out" for real money. You'd see a boom in this like MTG did when it first started online.

They could even go a step further and offer third-parties the ability to register players and their armies through the client(for a fee of course) and allow them to play qualifiers and such through the online game. And in exchange for providing this service, each player would only have access to their specific army as provided by the third-party for the duration of the tournament. This way you could have players not invested in the online game to utilize it for a short term. This would conversely act as a way to get more people to experience it and possibly joining on a more permanent basis. That way you could have a single large scale fight between the two finalists at the store or whatever and thus hold more tournaments since you won't need the tables for an entire day(s). This would make it easier to have large-scale armageddon tournaments that wouldn't require people to keep coming back every day/week for a month to finish it.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

Maybe we'll finally see a proper Warhammer game.

While it's true the analogy below is not quite spot on.

But how did Block Buster go into bankruptcy?

Game Workshops is so notorious and greedy bastards. Out of touch, milking their IPs left and right. They don't care for quality, they don't really care for anything other than money. But that's not the problem... the problem is they don't realize that by doing so they are going to plummet since a lot of competitors are going to eat the Online Miniature Tactical Games market share while they just stand there and do nothing.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by LauraFrost
    Originally posted by tom_gore Originally posted by dave6660 Maybe we'll finally see a proper Warhammer game.

While it's true the analogy below is not quite spot on.

But how did Block Buster go into bankruptcy?

Game Workshops is so notorious and greedy bastards. Out of touch, milking their IPs left and right. They don't care for quality, they don't really care for anything other than money. But that's not the problem... the problem is they don't realize that by doing so they are going to plummet since a lot of competitors are going to eat the Online Miniature Tactical Games market share while they just stand there and do nothing.

While I stand by what I said above, the 'could do' scenario if you will, what you say here is the most likely scenario. Imo.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by dave6660 Maybe we'll finally see a proper Warhammer game.

*sigh* because if they did a digital game exactly like the table top version, I still have to buy my army, 'paint' it, etc etc. They would not lose money, they would probably make a lot more as some people (me included) do not have time (nor a area safe from children) to try and paint an entire army up, then travel around to different places just to have a match. If I could do it all on line I would, and I am sure others feel the same way.

That clear it up for you? No one is asking for a handout.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• milluxmillux Member UncommonPosts: 50

I would love to see a mobile version of Axis & Allies that several people could play at their convenience, spread out over the course of weeks if necessary.