Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does TESO have such a split reaction?

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by GPrestige

One of the biggest complaints I've heard is that combat doesn't feel satisfying. Apparently, there aren't animations indicating when a weapon strikes an enemy, or deflects a blow, etc. Your character swings through things because there's no collision hit boxes and feels "floaty".

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

the game is still in beta and 6 months or so away from launch.  if what you described is the case,  then there is still time to improve it.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

The fact of the matter remains that even if Zenimax HAD that desire to make a real Elder Scrolls game, there is no way they could possibly meet and exceed the expectations of the single-player Elder Scrolls experience many have come to know. How could they though- they're not Bethesda (and so don't have the experience of iterating each chapter in the TES series), and they're not designing a single player game. My initial thought when this game was first announced is still holding true, which is that unless Bethesda is truly involved in the creation of this game, the TES portion is going to fall short of what we're all used to. The MMO part does not have a past to live up to.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

With TESO there is those that see the reality of the game, and those that  have in their heads what they think the game will be.

I am sure you can guess which one thinks the game will be the saviour of MMO's  and which one thinks the game will suck.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Entropy14

With TESO there is those that see the reality of the game, and those that  have in their heads what they think the game will be.

I am sure you can guess which one thinks the game will be the saviour of MMO's  and which one thinks the game will suck.

Then there are those in the middle, who don't think one way or the other at this point about the game being one thing or the other.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by muffins89

One of the biggest complaints I've heard is that combat doesn't feel satisfying. Apparently, there aren't animations indicating when a weapon strikes an enemy, or deflects a blow, etc. Your character swings through things because there's no collision hit boxes and feels "floaty".

the game is still in beta and 6 months or so away from launch.  if what you described is the case,  then there is still time to improve it.

And there it is.

The "it's still in beta" excuse. That's all I needed to know about this game, thanks.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Doesn't every game have a split in people who looooooove the game and people who haaaaaaate the game? Even before games release this seems to happen.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by NorseGod

And there it is.

The "it's still in beta" excuse. That's all I needed to know about this game, thanks.

In most cases, you're right. However, I read that they completely revamped the "no-first person" idea after the backlash. Perhaps there's a chance for this?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by NorseGod

And there it is.

Bye?

I'll never understand people that think ANYONE cares if they're going to play the game or not.  Just move along without the "omg I'm leaving gais!".

From my experiences with this game I'm going to get it for my PS4, it's the perfect type of MMO content to be on a console without hindering it at all.  As far as "satisfying combat" (wtf is that anyway), people will nit-pick EVERYTHING even if it was exactly like the other games because then it wouldn't be "new". 

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Graphics was the OP's question right?

*In my opinion, based on my experience* the Elder Scrolls have always had rough character models.  I mean Skyrim was just as bad as the others if not worse, the characters are just ugly.  The MMO character models, from what I've seen in the videos, look 10 TIMES better than the single player Elder Scrolls games.  So, that's good enough for me.  I think MMO fans are used to a more refined character model, whether it be cartoony or realistic graphics.  MMO players seem to put more time and effort into their toons, since other players will be 'seeing' them, it makes sense to want to look good.

I think this is why we have two separate camps that either hate or love the character models.

I btw am a mmo player and I don't think this game will be anything like WoW, like another poster stated.  1.) The story is going to be awesome.  2.)  There's no endgame and no raiding.  There are going to be 12 man open adventure areas and a couple 2-4 man dungeons (I just heard on a podcast today)  The rest is going to be solo or veteran questlines and PVP.

No bitchers.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

The essence of TES doesn't work in an MMO.  TES fans want the essence.

TES has always had subpar clunky combat.  MMO fans want smooth and fluid combat.

I have no loyalty to either camp and just looked at the game for what it was.  I found it terrible.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by Destai
    Even though I'm both an MMO gamer and a TES fan, I'm coming more from a TES point of view. For years, I've wanted to explore Tamriel with friends - maybe not even in a MMO format. I've wanted build houses, raid dungeons, experience the lore - actually roleplay that setting. I don't really think this game accomplishes that. If this were any other IP, I think it would be awesome. It has some nice features to it, but I'm afraid of a game that should be without boundaries being pigeonholed to fit MMOs. While I was initially hostile to this game, I've warmed up to it after beta. It was nice seeing some areas I've dreamed about for years. I'm still on the fence, though. Time will tell. 
    This comment pretty much sums up my feelings. However, after beta I was left even more concerned and hostile toward this game. Fortunately I don't believe this will be a great game from either MMO or TES standards.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Don't knock it till you try it. If being on the Internet has taught me anything it is that the collective opinion of anonymous users on the Internet is as varied and random as it gets. MMO gamers are the most finicky bunch of nerds you will ever come across and for that reason the only opinion you can fully trust is your own.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The nature of MMO discussion forums is to have a split reaction.... And that goes double for any MMOs based on a known IP. Look at the EQN forums for another example or even the LOTRO forum where people are still going on about how Turbine broke the lore 6 years after release.

About the only ones that don't have a split reaction are the ones that are so early in development that there ain't much to argue about...yet.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

There surely is a split between the die hard TES fans and those that simply like it and will also play any new MMO.

I feel like this poll also communicates that.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Between the hardcore Skyrim fans who hate this game and the sandbox crowd who certainly aren't going to like it, I'm kinda surprised there is anyone speaking well of this game here.

Personally I have high hopes for this game...  and by that I mean better than FFXIV and gw2.... which shouldn't be hard... I hope...

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

its just another elder scrolls game with some generic group content tacked on to make it appear to be an mmo .. i think the divide is basically between elder scrolls fans and mmo fans.

just like swotor was just another kotor game with generic group content tacked on to make it appear to be an mmo ..

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
                    To be honest, If you want a elder scrolls online your gonna have a better bet playing everquest landmark, and making it into skyrim lol. The only place this game is gonna be popular is on the console. 
  • Drew213Drew213 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Having only played Skyrim and Oblivion PC wise, ESO has a hard road ahead. It better be freaking fantastical, i mean Skyrim alone has a following that can make or break the MMO. For that reason you can not take the middle road, or left or right. The problem I see is making it so MMOish or following a set standard when they themselves have set so many from their own uniqueness.

The game honestly is not either one of what you speak for MMO, WoW  or Skyrim. Its a failure to me as a pc gamer and honestly it should be extremely better than what i have seen. i would not wipe my dirty shoes with it~!

Originally posted by kabitoshin
    After seeing how great FFXIV looks, and how smooth the game runs, ESO graphics kinda dissapoint.

I dont understand this thing people have about mmos cant have good graphics. You got a good example there, final fantasy has great graphics. 

Not to mention that vanguard saga of heros, has better graphics then ESO, and is more true to being realistic and skyrim style then ESO. 

Originally posted by Drew213

Having only played Skyrim and Oblivion PC wise, ESO has a hard road ahead. It better be freaking fantastical, i mean Skyrim alone has a following that can make or break the MMO. For that reason you can not take the middle road, or left or right. The problem I see is making it so MMOish or following a set standard when they themselves have set so many from their own uniqueness.

The game honestly is not either one of what you speak for MMO, WoW  or Skyrim. Its a failure to me as a pc gamer and honestly it should be extremely better than what i have seen. i would not wipe my dirty shoes with it~!

They should of asked the Elder scrolls modding community, and the major modders in that for help in making the mmo lol. They would of had a much better game. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by cnutemp

Anyone have any idea?

The game devs did a complete 180 gameplay flip and all their fans are pissed off.

I haven't been following the game all that closely but I do know TES has had a history of open world games and from what i have seem from forum complaints is that they made their MMO a linear quest grinder with zoned faction pvp.

It was like when the dragonball z mmo was announced and they first thing they said was saiyans were not a playable race and all their fans were in an uproar.

You can't build up a IP and then change the one aspect that made it popular in the first place.

Yeah linear quest grinder fans vs non linear quest grinder fans would be a more apt comparison.  The setting and combat are solid as well as the non cartoon gfx, however being told what to do (quest grinding) gets old after 1 hour max, for me.  There needs to be more on the line than safely quest grinding myself to sleep.

I'm not an ES fan.  I like the open world freedom but I can't force myself to play single player games after I discovered MMO's with EQ.  While we are all wasting our time, I feel like single player games are playing for no reason other than to impress myself....which is pointless.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Is it a division between MMO players and hardcore TES fans?

yes

And those on the mmo side are concerned that it will be just another WoW clone.

Well maybe not a WOW clone I was more concerned with it being too much like GW2. Because I played GW2 and it was enjoyable at first, betas and 3 months later, you hit the ceiling. I am not hellbent against RVR I just don't like it done this way. the lack of any cross faction interaction in non Cyrodill zones and the combat system are sore points for me but that is only because I do like the Single player games and that seems washy to me lore wise. 

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Its because its obvious its being run by publishers, not by devs.

Initially it looked to be a well designed DAOC remake in an Elderscrolls skin (which was its best chance). Then it started looking like a WOW clone, then press moved against it and it started sounding like GW2, then it started sounding like a singleplayer ES game with MMO bits tacked on. Its a mess and the devs don't seem to have any coherent vision.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    We don't need an Elder Scrolls online. What  people would prefer is a 4 player co-op Elder Scrolls game.  In my opinion this game will fail harder than SWTOR.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by kabitoshin After seeing how great FFXIV looks, and how smooth the game runs, ESO graphics kinda dissapoint.
        I dont understand this thing people have about mmos cant have good graphics. You got a good example there, final fantasy has great graphics. 

Not to mention that vanguard saga of heros, has better graphics then ESO, and is more true to being realistic and skyrim style then ESO. 

So two really awful MMORPG have good graphics so we are all set? There has never been a good MMORPG with high end graphics, the technology just isn't there yet. The best graphical MMORPG that is actually done right from a gameplay standpoint is GW2 and that isn't considered a great graphical game by most.