Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext VS Cryengine MMO

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Someone said that EQNext graphics are on par with recent MMO.

I disagree.

EQNext is somewhere between the era of WoW and  2013, but it's not even in the ballpark of recent MMO.

VS

Comments

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    I wish developers would put a quarter of what they spend on graphics into game design and features :P
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Can you please tell me the names of the games of cryengine photos?

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by DwarfZZZ
    Can you please tell me the names of the games of cryengine photos?

Monster Hunter Online (not Frontier Online which is another game),  Black Desert and Forged by Chaos

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by coretex666

I agree with you.

(However, I feel the need to add an obligatory note that MMOs are not about graphics, for me).

True that. For me MMOs were always about a sense of freedom and exploration rather than directed cinematic experience. If a certain degree of gameplay depth and player freedom is practically achievable only through use of voxels, I know I won't cry too much for impressive realistic graphics.

And I believe that millions who voted with their wallets for Minecraft feel similarly. The next gen race is who is going to copy Minecraft's model the best in an AAA game - as is evident in upcoming efforts by such themepark stalwarts like Trion and SOE.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Your entire original argument is void of any actual use or meaning.  You seem to seriously misunderstand the technology of graphics.  The CryEngine games are based on what we call "Polygons" and EverQuest Next is based on "Voxels".  Look them up because you need know this.  There is a significant difference in what you're capable of doing when using Voxels.  Think of Minecraft.  That game is strictly Voxels.  Why do you think they did that?  It's because there is a constant adding and subtracting of graphic material going on at any given time whether it be people mining or building  The graphics HAVE to be simplified in order to make this happen.  You get high end graphics going and you know, maybe it would work if it was a single player game and only one person was adding and subtracting graphics, but you try and make a game like Black Desert have the ability to mine and build and blow things up, and you have even just a dozen people doing it, the game will implode on itself.

The stability of the technology just isn't there yet.  I agree it would be nice if it were, but it's not.

I actually like EverQuest Next's style of graphics.  I think it's awesome for what it's capable of doing.  That was my biggest problem with Minecraft.  The graphics sucked.  And I generally hate cartoony, or overly stylized graphics.  But, in the case of EverQuest Next, I think it's awesome.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Which company does the OP work for? Those pictures are blurred to make them look worse.

I wonder if you can get sued for that, or the very least your thread locked out for being misleading.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Incomparable

Which company does the OP work for? Those pictures are blurred to make them look worse.

I wonder if you can get sued for that, or the very least your thread locked out for being misleading.

I did not "blur" the pictures.

It's straight from the official video in 720p from the official EQNext channel from SoE.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by Incomparable

I did not "blur" the pictures.

It's straight from the official video in 720p from the official EQNext channel from SoE.

Then you should have put up tube screenshots for the other games as well. Anyway you turn it, it is a misrepresentation. Not like it matters though, everybody knows EQN won't have the level of graphical fidelity as in games using more traditional gameplay models, and frankly I don't know why anyone should care. If the game is fun, smooth to play and has a graphically consistent aesthetically-pleasing style (now THAT is what is truly important in graphics nowadays, I believe we moved from the obsession with advances in raw realism, just like painting and photography did eventually) and so I don't think many will give a damn.

Uhhhh, yeah man.  Those pictures ARE blurred.  The castle one fine, that's how it looks.  But, the tiger and hill with girl are both screen captures of scenes that are in motion.  The camera is rotating.  The same thing happens in live action movies.  If you're going to make a fair comparison, take actual images hosted on google images and post them.  Who the hell screen captures from 720p videos?  Especially when there's a plethora of screenshots already out there.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Someone said that EQNext graphics are on par with recent MMO.

I disagree.

EQNext is somewhere between the era of WoW and  2013,

Why not compare apples with apples? EQN is highly stylized in stead of going for the realistic look.

but it's not even in the ballpark of recent MMO.

I'm inclined to say "so?".

What can be done about it?

Originally posted by SelfDestructPro
     take actual images hosted on google images and post them

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Funny how developers can make such an impressive animal like a lion, looking like a kellogg's "everything is cool and yummy" advert.

You know I haven't even mentioned that the game isn't even outside of "Friends and Family Alpha" yet.  I know because I bought in to both the Alpha and the Beta and I'm not in yet.  So you're comparing a game (very poorly I might add) to a bunch of games that have been in development or are even close to release in Korea for a long time now.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    That lion is an insult to the Val Shar.

Originally posted by UtukuMoon

Is it really?  And it's "Vah Shir".  I'm not even an old EQ player and I know this is a ridiculous claim.  But, here it goes anyway:

OLD EverQuest Vah Shir

EverQuest NEXT Vah Shir

I have a hard time seeing how the old beats the new.

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by SelfDestructPro Your entire original argument is void of any actual use or meaning.  You seem to seriously misunderstand the technology of graphics.  The CryEngine games are based on what we call "Polygons" and EverQuest Next is based on "Voxels".  Look them up because you need know this.  There is a significant difference in what you're capable of doing when using Voxels.  Think of Minecraft.  That game is strictly Voxels.  Why do you think they did that?  It's because there is a constant adding and subtracting of graphic material going on at any given time whether it be people mining or building  The graphics HAVE to be simplified in order to make this happen.  You get high end graphics going and you know, maybe it would work if it was a single player game and only one person was adding and subtracting graphics, but you try and make a game like Black Desert have the ability to mine and build and blow things up, and you have even just a dozen people doing it, the game will implode on itself. The stability of the technology just isn't there yet.  I agree it would be nice if it were, but it's not. I actually like EverQuest Next's style of graphics.  I think it's awesome for what it's capable of doing.  That was my biggest problem with Minecraft.  The graphics sucked.  And I generally hate cartoony, or overly stylized graphics.  But, in the case of EverQuest Next, I think it's awesome.

Still no reason why a 2014 game like EQN doesn't support dx11 features (EQN/L is dx9 only)

For example tessellation is something you will never see in EQN, afaik it is possible to have tessellated voxels.

I dunno, true it would be nice.  But, maybe they wanted to make the game playable to people with prior to 2010 hardlware.  Just a guess.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    If you don't like the graphics then don't play the game. No one cares that you don't like the art style. People can make up their own minds whether they like it or not thanks.
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

Is it really?  And it's "Vah Shir".  I'm not even an old EQ player and I know this is a ridiculous claim.  But, here it goes anyway:

OLD EverQuest Vah Shir

EverQuest NEXT Vah Shir

And that is the whole problem. You have a hard time seeing things that are right in front of your face.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

OLD EverQuest Vah Shir

EverQuest NEXT Vah Shir

Oh I don't know.  Maybe has something to do with the ridiculously oversized weapons/armor and complete WoWesque character model.  But you can't compare a model from a game that's what 14 years old to game that won't be out for  how many more years, and I'm not talking Landmark.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

And in just 5 years we will laugh our asses off at the Cryengine graphics, while the EQNext graphics still look fine.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

As others have indicated, you’re comparing screenshots from a video to actual game shots. Also, you’re comparing pre-alpha to a complete engine (and almost complete games). That being said, I fully agree with you that EQN graphics are not going to be as nice as what the Cry engine can put out.

HOWEVER, if you’re playing EQN for the graphics you’re doing it wrong. Even if EQN’s only “new” feature was a fully destructible world then it’d blow the Cry engine out of the water on features – never mind everything else that it’s promising.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This is more impressive than CryEngine.

On that front SOE has a very impressive engine to p*ss around with.

I'm yet to see an MMORPG use CryEngine or Unreal Engine and be impressed bar shiny graphical presentation.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

OLD EverQuest Vah Shir

EverQuest NEXT Vah Shir

I agree with him, that lion is comical compared to the EQ Val Shir.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Well, for starters, you're using a tactic that's all too common in these kinds of posts. You're cherry-picking screen-shots to support your argument. You chos.e the least interesting shots you could find for EQ:N, and then choose these beautiful sweeping vistas for the other games.

Why not show shots like this one for character and environment art? Or this?

Why not show environment shots like this?

... why choose 3 of the most uninteresting shots available out there for your demonstration?

Point is, if you're going to do a comparison post of two different games/engines... well, first you should educate yourself a bit more on what it is, exactly, that you're comparing - but I'll get to that. The least you could do, though, is make it as honest a comparison as possible by trying to choose shots that similarly demonstrate both games in the best possible way available at that time.

Having said that...

OP's post is a classic case of people confusing Art Style with Graphics Tech. The two are not the same.

Monster Hunter and those other games are going for a more realistic look, clearly reflected in the art style and the detail of the texture art, the look of the characters, etc.

EQ:N is clearly going for a more styilzed/paintery/animated look, as evidenced by the look of the characters, the textures, etc.

Personally, while I love realistically rendered worlds as much as anyone, there's a charm to stylized, more "animated" worlds that I find really pleasing in a way that realistic looking games can never meet. I love the look/style of Wildstar as well, for example. But back on topic...

It's a style choice, not a technological restriction. That really should say it all right there. But I know it doesn't (which is why people keep making the same poor comparisons).

Monster Hunter Online could have been made to look like EQ:N every bit as much as EQ:N could be made to look like Monster Hunter Online.

To put it another way...

Here's a video demonstrating/explaining the graphics tech behind the Forgelight Engine, which powers Planetside 2, and EQ:N. Planetside goes for a more realistic, but still stylized approach EQ:N goes for a more cartoony/painterly look. Same engine, same graphics rendering tech, two entirely different looking games. It all comes down to the overall style they're using. The Forgelight engine itself is actually quite powerful.

To put it yet another way, using a different engine altogether. Gears of War, Borderlands and TERA are all made with the Unreal 3 engine. Same engine. Same graphics tech. Same rendering capabilities. Yet they're each completely different looking games. They range from hyper-realistic to cel-shaded and more "cartoony". The difference is the art direction/style.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

OLD EverQuest Vah Shir

EverQuest NEXT Vah Shir

And that is the whole problem. You have a hard time seeing things that are right in front of your face.

I have to agree, the new model is a breath a fresh air compared to the old model, the old animations aswell where so blasted ridgid, always seemed like they where rushing around looking for a toilet to me.

Plus you can quite easily see this is supposed to be a fierce lion like race, where as the originals never quite portrayed that feeling to me. All ofc just from my point of view.

Just as the detractors won't be swayed, neither will I when it comes to this graphics engine, I find it both appealing and fun to look at and I look forward to leaping into the game when I get my Alpha invite.