Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that WAR is going down, what alternative DAOC-style mmo will you play?

13»

Comments

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by wsmar
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently. The other games you mentioned are nothing like the depth of guild wars 2 world vs world system. Warhammer and DAOC shared realm point abilities and keep taking etc. Guild wars 2 has all of this where realms online and L2 doesnt. Also GW2 isnt about gear its about builds but there is way more zerging in GW2 than warhammer as the zones are not the largest etc. Though with the patch today they added in the new world vs world map design that took out the giant lake in the center and gave capture points which helped create some small scale pvp instead of just zerging. Until ESO releases its just GW2 for that sort of pvp thats any good and ESO might not be that great either so who knows.

GW2 WvW = zerg. It is horrible. The great thing about WAR was that you could actually combat the zerg, without actually having to zerg yourself. That's not the case in GW2, you can barely even play a melee class in WvW. I think it is a pretty sad attempt at objective based PvP especially when they had a great template in WAR to look off of. 

Damn MMO's

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently.

It's not even worth playing though. The RvR is so totally broken and fundamentally flawed. It shows the person who designed it had no idea what they were doing.

I'll be playing a good RvR MMO like PS2, or even Darkfall over GW2.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

x5 the exp and RR, wipe the servers monthly and run it as a tournament.  People might play it that way.  I loved Warhammer actually.  It was one of those times where I quit because of a server merge that made the balance unfavored instead of neutral.  Without the merge, I would have played a lot longer, but it is not fun to see your homecity sacked multiple times per day every day.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

Just letting people know that Champions of Regnum, a possible alternative to Warhammer, just xmas gifted each of its players 2,000-4,000 ximerin each. (about $8-$16). Regnum is also 3 faction RvR and is very similar to DAOC in format. It's a bit late if u do not already have a character but.. yea :/ thought i would post it anyway.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Nidwin

We tried GW2 and came all back to war so that's not an option, me thinks.

From my, our side, it's going to be back to DaoC because RvR-wise it's still the best remaining option out there after the 18th of December.

I played warhammer like 2 years long, the first 10 mins in GW2 fighting at the WvW was very similar to Warhammer, but to be honest, the WvW is just bad designed. And it does not really fit well into the skill system of GW2.

The way u survived in Warhammers RVR is the holy trinity, where tanks and healers could support the massive amount of dmg dealers. Even it was a uber zerg like 60vs60, you could keep everything under control.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Go AoC if you want some good pvp

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• raslirasli Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by Vapors
    Originally posted by Nidwin

We tried GW2 and came all back to war so that's not an option, me thinks.

From my, our side, it's going to be back to DaoC because RvR-wise it's still the best remaining option out there after the 18th of December.

I played warhammer like 2 years long, the first 10 mins in GW2 fighting at the WvW was very similar to Warhammer, but to be honest, the WvW is just bad designed. And it does not really fit well into the skill system of GW2.

The way u survived in Warhammers RVR is the holy trinity, where tanks and healers could support the massive amount of dmg dealers. Even it was a uber zerg like 60vs60, you could keep everything under control.

In GW2 you survive through teamwork where people stack at time of need and blast water fields. Good organized guilds of 20 can even tank all the siege damage and taking down keep doors this way. So in this sense the coordination requirement for the team is actually higher in GW2.

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

GW2's WvW is just a treadmill thing. There are no enemy nameplates (just a generic 'Enemy scout from XXX server'), and even the 'XXX server' changes every week. So you fight with anonymous players of some random server that changes every week. This removes almost all the fun of PvPing... you can't say i beat that player 3 times today. You can't say "we beat that clan, that guild, that server today" . There's nothing like server pride, guild pride or personal pride for your wins, or enemy respect for their wins. It's totally unpersonalized.

ps: You can't even see enemy guilds. "Guild wars" without the guilds' names...

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by kinart

GW2's WvW is just a treadmill thing. There are no enemy nameplates (just a generic 'Enemy scout from XXX server'), and even the 'XXX server' changes every week. So you fight with anonymous players of some random server that changes every week. This removes almost all the fun of PvPing... you can't say i beat that player 3 times today. You can't say "we beat that clan, that guild, that server today" . There's nothing like server pride, guild pride or personal pride for your wins, or enemy respect for their wins. It's totally unpersonalized.

as much casual as you can, give no1 the reason to flame, but youre giving a good point. In War every guild was fearing each other (if they were known)

• raslirasli Member UncommonPosts: 56

Actually there is really strong server pride and guild pride in GW2 WvW.  First of all, you do see the name of enemy guilds and there are some quite strong rivalries between guilds on different servers.  Also good guilds are able to develop strong reputations.  Second, most the time you are fighting the same servers, like the top three servers of U.S. have been fighting each other most of the time for a year now, so the rivalry between servers is actually really strong, servers like blackgate and sanctum of rall hate each other to guts.  Third, you don't see the enemy name, but you can recognize the same opponent through their looks combined with their WvW rank, you can also invite them to your party to know their name to trash talk or organize duels etc.

So yeah once you start playing for a while you will find it is much more personalized than you would originally thought.  Server pride is a pretty big thing in WvW and the politics between servers and important guilds on each servers give GW2 a light taste of the intrigues of the EvE alliances politics.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

Actually you do see opposing teams guilds in WvW.  Its still very poorly balanced and very very underdeveloped (I'm looking at you boring copy and pasted maps).  So I would not recommend it if that is your thing.

I have been doing PS2 recently.  Not much of a FPS person either but the size/scale/teamwork is there.  And the classes are quite varied and interesting (Infiltrator is all kinds of griefing goodness).  Its F2P so if you haven't check it out.  I will say though its optimized very poorly and runs like crap often (SOE loves their memory leaks).

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

yes i would hate that in an RvR mmo. In Regnum we get to know all our enemies+allies really well. We know who is the best knight at the moment, who uses which strategy, who relies too much on one particular combat ability etc. we know that if a particular enemy named Bob is online, that he will be in the server somewhere we can kill him. gw2 just sounds very mushy.

• CirventhorCirventhor Member Posts: 13
    I'd say DAoC really - 12 years old, but still the best RvR experience out there.
  • SJStrikersSJStrikers Member UncommonPosts: 34
    It's hard to choose. I am waiting on Camelot: Unchained to see if it's worth it. I think that's the next "DAoC pvp/gvg" game that has a chance of following through since Mark Jacobs(not EA) is behind it.
  • KruniacKruniac Member Posts: 132

If I were you guys, I'd play on the emulated server. And if you have C#/SQL skills, I would help develop it.

We can have our WAR fix. Waaagh.

• KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29
  • DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Kuroi said:

omg i missed this game, even though it had its issues it was still one of my fave mmo's of all times- it was a blast- thanks for that link :)
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Fun game I agree.  I would still play it from time to time if it was running.
  • KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29
    goboygo said:
    Fun game I agree.  I would still play it from time to time if it was running.
    It is still running at http://www.returnofreckoning.com/

Desperately need more players from North America.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Didn't WAR close at the end of 2013? Oh well.

OP wants a f2p title. So really a case of downloading one after another until one scratches the itch. AoC, Rift etc.
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    gervaise1 said:
    Didn't WAR close at the end of 2013? Oh well.

OP wants a f2p title. So really a case of downloading one after another until one scratches the itch. AoC, Rift etc.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw the title of this thread. Then again I just stumbled on Dark and Light returning, so guess I'm just falling out of touch!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Necro'd this thread pretty hard, didn't you guys...