Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ingame store ?

Played a few MMO's that have ingame stores and to me it cheapens the experience, Does LOTRO also have an ingame store ?

Comments

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

Do you mean a cash shop? Or do you mean a vendor in-game that sells things for real money?

If you mean a cash shop, then yes it does have one of those. In fact all free-to-play mmos have cash shops in them, unless they make all their money from subs. The games need them to make money so that the game can keep running.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Yes, there's a cash shop. I'm not very affected by it since I bought a lifetime membership when the game was launching. But the cash shop is always there... looming. If you find you don't like them, I'd avoid LOTRO. I found games like GW2 to have a far less obvious cash shop presence.

That said, I love LOTRO and enjoy it more then most other MMOs out today. It's a fun game that has the appearance of being greedy. Nothing wrong with a company trying to make money, but I imagine for a free player LOTRO is more about the shop then it is about the game.

I think there's a way to sub and not have to worry as much.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Dicehunter
    Played a few MMO's that have ingame stores and to me it cheapens the experience, Does LOTRO also have an ingame store ?

Yes it does.

Mostly cosmetic and convenience items. However, there are things such as "stat tomes" that raise a stat a little bit. These are also found in game as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Atlys

In fact all free-to-play mmos have cash shops in them, unless they make all their money from subs.

Even in those cases there might be a cash shop, subscription doesn't mean a "without cash shop" game nowadays :)

And yep, LotRO has one, you can't miss its presence as soon as you start to play, in almost every window there's a button with a store-link.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Yup.

It's kind of funny though. LOTRO is very much a pay to win game, in terms of what the cash shop offers, but at the same time, you don't really need to use it for that, especially after the latest expansion.

1) Health Potions without a cooldown

2) Starlit crystals that make your weapon do more damage (up to 3 on a weapon)

3) Stat tomes that simply give your stats a boost

In theory, the crystals and stat tomes drop in the game, but in practice, you will never see it happen.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

In theory, the crystals and stat tomes drop in the game, but in practice, you will never see it happen.

And if you do, you'll wish you rather avoided it... since them tomes are tier-locked. So in the rare case you get a stat tome from a loot drop, it's better if there's no guardians around to put Salt in the wound :)

Let's say, after many many months of play you get a nifty Tome of Agility IV, and you even got a hunter. Jackpot, you might think. You give it to him, right click... khm. You have to use Tome of Agility III first. (and for that II and I of course). Good luck for finding those as well :)

But hey, since the f2p you can speed up things and buy those for money.

On the brighter side, since the stat revamp the tomes are pretty much useless. Before that, during the stat cap era, they helped a lot for the min-maxing folks.