Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new itemization system

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

this was mentioned in CGonzalez's article on the new expac, but i think i am misreading it. i thought they were reintroducing multiple stats and backing away from their one class - one stat system that they currently have.

perhaps someone could help me with this?

third paragraph from the bottom of page 2:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/2/feature/7940/page/2

"Lessons learned and player feedback both play a role in some of the changes coming in today's expansion, aside from Construct customization. A new itemization system will place more emphasis on thinking about how to equip your character instead of reaching for items that just have one stat that matters and boom, done. This will make things more flexible as there will also be sets for say, DPS or ability effectiveness, while making items more useful all around."

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    cool, thanks.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by aspekx

this was mentioned in CGonzalez's article on the new expac, but i think i am misreading it. i thought they were reintroducing multiple stats and backing away from their one class - one stat system that they currently have.

i had the same misunderstanding

what happened is that gear is no longer focused on your class

EQ2 Itemization Magna Carta

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/itemization-magna-carta.542070/

TOV interview article

http://eq2wire.com/2013/11/10/eq2wire-tears-of-veeshan-interview-turning-the-corner-on-itemization/

In Kyle “Kander” Vallée‘s interview with EQ2Talk this spring, he candidly shared his frustrations with Stat Consolidation and his plans to bring back Player Choice and Variety in itemization.

If you’ve developed tunnel vision when shopping for item upgrades, glancing only at Stamina and Main Stats (Int/Wis/Str/Agi), you’ll likely do a double take when first encountering Tears of Veeshan items.

There are some big changes in ToV to be sure, and stats vital to the success of each class no longer flow like water. In a way, items have become raw materials for getting the Stats a player wants. Potency, previously a “gimme” stat appearing automatically on every item is now scarce. In case there was any doubt, Reforging will now be a necessity for all play styles rather than the plaything of hardcore players.

Q: At SOE Live, and also in the Itemization Manifesto posted on the forums, it seems the itemization pendulum is swinging in the direction of player choice and providing tradeoffs, rather than such a linear path as we have had in the past few years. Is there a risk of player confusion now that most classes will have 5-6 choices of gear styles?

Xelgad: We don’t think that players will get too confused with the new choices, and even if they do, there is a conversion merchant for all of the quested armor. Also, players shouldn’t be able to end up in a state where they are unable to play their character due to the choices they made with their armor.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

tov faq

http://eq2wire.com/2013/11/13/eq2wires-tears-of-veeshan-frequently-asked-questions/

The overland Quests are rewarding just a single armor piece, usually not even usable for my class, can I exchange it?

Due to the itemization changes, there are now at eight different sets of armor available to players, including DPS, health, autoattack, and tank sets. Rather than requiring players to make snap decisions about each quest reward without knowing what armor choices there would be in the whole quest series, a new mechanism was added that allows you to take exchange quest rewards for an Veasna’s Item Exchange token which then lets you buy a more appropriate quest reward.

These are available from an NPC named Veasna. Located at /waypoint 34, 197, 22 near Falinpol on the central Daarspire Island.

Can you give me a TL;DR version of the Itemization changes?

No (or Few) Armor Class Restrictions – Armor is no longer tagged Mage, Scout, Priest, or Fighter. Instead, armor is restricted by material (Cloth, Leather, Chain, or Plate). This allows Chain Healers and Scouts to possibly use each other’s armor sets. The same goes for the other armor types.

Armor Sets by Purpose – Instead of most armor falling into one of 7 categories (Scout, Mage, Chain/Leather/Plate Fitghter, Leather Fighter, and Plate Fighter), armor is now broken up into accomplishing different goals. Some armor increases damage, some increases casting speed, some increases health and mitigation. There are several different sets.

Purple Adornments have replaced Yellow and Red Adornments. Purple adorns can be acquired in a variety of ways, in all tiers of content from Solo to the top raids.

Before Tears of Veeshan, Multiattack, AOE Autoattack, and Flurry compounded in such a way that a single weapon swing could account for 100 or more attacks being triggered, many of them also firing off Proc effects. This has been crushing the servers and also clogging the pipes of players’ internet connections.

To resolve this problem, Multiattack and DPS have been switched. Now, players will do fewer bigger hits, rather than lots of small hits. Scouts and Fighters who were running 700+ Multiattack and 200 DPS will want to swap out gear, add adornments, and reforge their gear until eventually they reach about 200 Multiattack and 700+ DPS. The conversion charts showing the soft and hard caps are here.

Shuffling Stats – Items don’t necessarily have the stats you are used to. Potency and Crit Chance can be hard to find. You may get an item that has a stat you aren’t too excited about, but it may reforge into one you need.

Upgradeable Items – Most of the Armor in ToV has gem slots, which can be upgraded with gems!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

thanks so much, i knew i'd run across an interview somewhere, but clearly that just confused me more :)

so from what i've read here:

1. this is only TOV gear

2. items will have base stats (str, agi, sta, etc.), but will be focused more on multipliers for various other stats such as dps, casting speed, etc.

it sounds like an interesting system with more wiggle room for players. at the same time i have to admit im a bit disappointed. i was hoping they were going to reactivate multiple stats.