Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Now Open??

slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I'm seeing lots of advertising for Wildstar saying "Beta now Open!"  What exactly does this mean?  Because I go to the site, sign up, and it says "if you are chosen..."  Perhaps they forgot what an "Open Beta" is?  Or perhaps I'm not fully grasping the concept of an "Open Beta."  

Can anybody help explain this to me?  Am I missing something?

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I think closed BETA is open...open as in "started"
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

is not a open betta yet it means the closed betta has started

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by jazz.be

pretty much this right here.

seems that the genre is locked into changing the meaning of words for the sake of hype no matter how big the lie is. This one makes no sense though.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I can't find a single advertisement that claims "beta is open".

All I've seen/can find are references to beta being live, as in now ongoing. Seems like the OP misunderstood.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by jazz.be

pretty much this right here.

seems that the genre is locked into changing the meaning of words for the sake of hype no matter how big the lie is. This one makes no sense though.

Yeah this was pretty shameless.  There is NO way that they didn't put that up and think "wait a sec, people could easily misinterpret this."  Seems they didn't care.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Kost

All I've seen/can find are references to beta being live, as in now ongoing. Seems like the OP misunderstood.

I'm looking at the advertisement, as I'm writing this post right now.  And when I look at the forums, I see the advertisement at the bottom of the screen too.  And it most certainly says "Beta is Open."  I didn't graduate from college for nuttin, I can read three short words.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Keep hitting refresh, it cycles through a bunch of advertisements, you will get it eventually.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by slicknslim88

I'm looking at the advertisement, as I'm writing this post right now.  And when I look at the forums, I see the advertisement at the bottom of the screen too.  And it most certainly says "Beta is Open."  I didn't graduate from college for nuttin, I can read three short words.

He's probably looking at the wildstar website, which there it says Beta is now live followed by "get your ass to nexus". I can see the add below on MMORPG.com, maybe kost has Addblock? I turned mine off so I could see if it popped up. Is it even them that create these adds though? that would be my question.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

I just saw the ad here on mmorpg. It literally says "Beta now open".  Poor wording considering most betas have a "closed" and "open" phase. The OP isnt crazy, the ad does give that impression if you only see that part of it.

Grabbed a pic:

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/Wizardcomputers/wildstarad_zps8589edab.png

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49

Yep, these ads fooled me as well.....

"Beta now open" means "open beta"  in my book.

As in:  the beta has the characteristic of being open, meaning anyone can join.

Guess not. Pretty crappy advertising IMO, kinda makes me leery of the game. But i'll still play when I finally get a key ;) 

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Only beta for Wildstar is tonight and tomorrow for stress test. Check your emails for invites.
  • jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Falcomith
    Only beta for Wildstar is tonight and tomorrow for stress test. Check your emails for invites.

Thats for the stress test. There is the full time closed beta going on as well.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Beta is open. I guess I don't see anything false about this statements since beta is going on right now. *

*admits that I'm full of crap and they must have known full well what they were doing. It actually fits their sick sense of humor to a tea.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I was in closed Beta for about 6 months now, but cant log in anymore

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Here's hoping for a key! ..someday. Christ would this company even give you one if you paid for the game?
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    wonder how good this game will be, looks kind of cool, i am worried it might be to much like GW2 with the whole questing and currency crap they do.

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

Yeah.. they fooled me with their poor choice of words " Beta is Open "

I clicked the link expecting to be able to download a game client or something... lol.  FAIL.  I just don't know if the FAIL is on me or them.  I'm thinking me.  But I agree - it's pretty crappy choice of words - intended or not.

I will try the game out... hoping it is good enough to make me want to continue to login for more than a month.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Krighton
    Yep, this company has pulled some pretty dirty marketing amongst the lies they've told. beta has been a hoax from day one. I live to see this game plunder and flounder because of how they've treated their "community."

Obviously, "Beta Now Open" is confusing, but one click makes it clear the sign up is for the Closed Winter Beta.   Just because you haven't been invited to beta--like many people--doesn't  make their marketing "dirty", nor does it make beta a hoax.  You just seem petty and jealous over the matter, given your multiple posts on the subject.  Closed beta access--for almost every game--is deliberately limited and controlled and is not guaranteed.

Also, FYI, if you signed up for the original beta directly through the Carbine website 2 years ago, like I did (I still have the original email confirmation from Carbine - I've actually been following Carbine for six years), chances are your beta invite was "lost".  When I saw the announcement for Winter Beta with a sign-up button, I discovered beta is now being managed through NCSoft directly and NCSoft had no record of my application.  So, I applied through my NCSoft master account. If you haven't done so, I recommend you do, too, since I imagine actually having a record of a person applying might make a difference in whether or not that person is accepted.

Lastly, there was a Winter Beta survey, which could have increased one's likelihood of being accepted into the Winter Beta if one completed and submitted it and, presumably, one's answers met some of the beta test parameters the developers were looking for.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    The old signup pre NCSOFT account management is still valid.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I wouldn't say it's a hoax - it's more like (typical) shifty marketing, something Carbine seems to be into plenty enough (for ex see how they represent CREDD - it's blatant facilitating of gold buying/cheating but they pass it off as a neato positive feature and don't mention the gold buying cheating side at all).

They are putting the "join beta" tag in their ads, on their site, and one could easily assume beta is readily available when the truth is anything but.  Yeah, beta is going on.  And yeah, your chances of getting in are about the same as your chances of getting into closed beta for any other huge game in development - next to nonexistent.

Not really a big deal - this is how most betas roll for big games in development.  If you get in, grats.  For the majority of people the only way you're getting into beta is if they do some kind of open/stress beta.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.