Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game For Seven Year Old

We just got our old computer fixed and my parents want to put games on it for my seven year old nephew to play. We are looking for a safe educational game that can help gain his interest in reading a little since he's more into math then reading and the school he goes to is forcing him to do a lot of reading and writing rather then math. I would like either a game that I can download or a site with good educational games that teach reading and writing at a first or second grade level. I will not install a game from a disc. My nephew is really into action games like halo so I think it would interest him if the game had some mild action in it. Also as mentioned our computer is a bit old so the game can't be too high end, but usually kids games aren't that high end anyway.

Comments

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

My 6 years old likes to play Wizard 101 but he just moves around and fights but there's some facebook that he loves: Stick Run, Vector, Jecpack Joyride, Angry Birds. and some times he likes to play Chrono Blade. From time to time I let him Play Defiance  (he has his char).

But if you want mmo Wizard101 and Pirates 101 are the best choice but remember kids are casual player, they don't focus one game for to long and  they just like games that they can't play..

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'll second the KingsIsle games. Not only can a 7-yr old play them, but they're great games to play with your kids, too. The account management system is set up to allow for a master account (with two passwords) and sub accounts, so you have greater security over the account.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CrystalDreamer59CrystalDreamer59 Member Posts: 32
    I have heard of Wizard 101 and Pirate 101 on TV. I want to think they are free to join but free membership is probably limited. I don't think the game has much if any educational material to it, but I'll be sure to check it out.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    WoW or Wizard 101, easy answer.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Doh! I completely missed the educational requirement.

Definitely check out JumpStart, especially the JumpStart Moms section.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Pirate 101 or Minecraft. 
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Your answer is pretty easy - Amazing World. 

http://www.amazingworld.com

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Doh! I completely missed the educational requirement.

Definitely check out JumpStart, especially the JumpStart Moms section.

I have thought of maybe JumpStart too.

I've checked wizard 101 and it looks interesting, but my nephew isn't into fantasy stuff like I am. I thought about maybe pirate 101 but he doesn't seem to be into pirates either. Also I'm not sure how educational the game is though I've read the game while maybe not educational can have some benefits for kids. Also parents or guardians can play along with their kid on Wizard 101 to make sure they stay safe while playing. I guess the best I can do is before letting him play any mmorpg game is let him watch previews of the game and gameplay videos of the game to see if he would be interested. I don't want to sign him up for a game he won't play that much.
  • yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Pay a few bucks for MINECRAFT (make sure your computer will play it).  My 5 year old creates amazing things on it.
  • KaraethonKaraethon Member Posts: 33
    Hearthstone might be good too.  It can get a little complicated with deck building, but it is a card game and the opponent can't chat.  There are so many A holes on the internet the lack of chat might be a good thing, especially for the younger crowd.
    Originally posted by Karaethon
    Hearthstone might be good too.  It can get a little complicated with deck building, but it is a card game and the opponent can't chat.  There are so many A holes on the internet the lack of chat might be a good thing, especially for the younger crowd.

Something without chat would be good, but I don't think my nephew is really into card games. Like I mentioned he's more into action games.

Originally posted by yangdude
    Pay a few bucks for MINECRAFT (make sure your computer will play it).  My 5 year old creates amazing things on it.

I really would prefer something free, but I doubt there are that many free games out there. My parents really don't like buying stuff online because they are so afraid of hackers.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Kids should go out for fresh air and not sitting in front of a screen.
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by spizz

If you have kids you understand the reason a tv, pc, or other gaming device exist.  Not only are they very good for educational usage (Obviously IMO not from the tv), but kids also need to work their minds and relax like adults.

My kids play outside, swim all summer, go to the park, etc.  We play in the snow when there is snow, go sled riding, and my boy (6) is in youth wrestling and will do baseball again like the last two years in the spring.

Kids will be interested in gaming if their parents are, and I imagine everyone one of us adults who are on this forums enjoy gaming; my boy plays Rift, DIII, Secret World, and MechWarrior with me whenever I'm playing.  He'll play for 30 minutes, then go back to playing with Legos or something most of the time unless someone else is over and we get 3-4 people all playing the same game.

As for instructional games for the OP not much to say other than Minecraft.  My wife finds tons of Apps suitable for younger ages, but at 6 I find software for my son to be more about entertainment then educational, then again if it uses his mind and allows him to make choices and find better ways of doing things in games, I suppose it can work as educational in that regards.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

WoW is a terrible choice for a kid. Not because of the content of the game, but simply look at trade or general chat in any major city.  Kids should not be reading the hateful, racist, prejudice crap trolls type in those channels.  My .02 c

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Just let the kid play any game with a lot of reading involved.  You could introduce him to MMO's or even a single player experience like Final Fantasy.  Honestly though, games aren't the best solution if you're trying to educate a child.  You get a kid into games and they will play them for life.

Originally posted by DocBrody

https://infinity.disney.com/

That can get very expensive very quickly.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Why not both?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Puzzle Pirates might be good, while not necessarily "educational" puzzle games are great exercise for the brain.  While the game has chat and may need to be monitored, I don't think I've ever seen any sort of malicious chat or profanity when playing the game.

He may need some assistance playing at first, but some of the minigames are easy enough to play and understand at 7.

Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

WoW is a terrible choice for a kid. Not because of the content of the game, but simply look at trade or general chat in any major city.  Kids should not be reading the hateful, racist, prejudice crap trolls type in those channels.  My .02 c

Yeah I agree. I've never played WoW but I imagine that since it's rated Teen the chat isn't very safe.

True kids should be able to go outside and explore and learn from nature. And it can be fun for both kids and adults to spend some time outdoors. But it is actually my parents idea that we turn the computer into a kids gaming computer. And as much as I love nature I also see nothing wrong with technology. I just hope that we can find an alternative source of energy for our technology, because it is technology that will allow us to hopefully explore the universe someday.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by CrystalDreamer59

True kids should be able to go outside and explore and learn from nature. And it can be fun for both kids and adults to spend some time outdoors. But it is actually my parents idea that we turn the computer into a kids gaming computer. And as much as I love nature I also see nothing wrong with technology. I just hope that we can find an alternative source of energy for our technology, because it is technology that will allow us to hopefully explore the universe someday.

Don't listen to the trolls on here.  A large majority of gamers don't understand the balance between fitness and gaming and therefore attribute gaming to obesity and other negative problems.  Gone are the days where you are a shut-in gamer, while you can be most games are online now and you still have quite a bit of interaction with others and social development.  If it's your nephew why not get his parents to buy ABCmouse and you can take advantage of it anywhere.  As I understand it it's a great way to help educate.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• dragonslayer4everdragonslayer4ever Member Posts: 22
    For me, I feel kids should live a balance life with technology around them and also nature. Kid's nowadays are not active outdoors as kids in the 70's and 80's. Game publishers now came out with alot of games where kids can gain knowledge from. However, for health purposes, they should be expose to outdoor activities as well.