Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building first system, GPU, PSU, Motherboard questions....

odienmanodienman Member UncommonPosts: 61

Hello, I'm new to building my own system and had some questions I was hoping someone more experienced could help me with.  I'm putting together a budget gaming build and I'm looking into this PSU.

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I was wondering if this PSU will be enough to run cards such as the GTX760/7870 AMD or GTX 660/650 ti boost with no issues. I know it has enough 600W power but I'm not familiar with rail and voltage stuff.  Also if you can see any issues with the parts I've chosen that would be super as well.  Partsbuilder seems to think its safe.

Also should I be concerned with installing windows 8.1 since i saw at the store that some motherboards said win 8 ready and others didn't, but I upgraded windows before and never had issues with keeping same motherboards that were older than the current windows release.....curious.

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard/Combo (Free @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($49.99 @ New Egg)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Diablotek EVO CPA-6170 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Microcenter)

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I personally wouldn't buy that power supply, it is not rated 80+ bronze at least.  It could probably work, but I wouldn't skimp on the PS.

Thermaltake 550w 80+ bronze $40.00 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153172

Rosewill 630 80+ bronze $60.00:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

EVGA 600W 80+ bronze $40.00 after rebate (has $7 shipping):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

If you don't plan to add another VGA card or overclock the CPU and GPU to hell, you won't need a 600W power. Even 450W would be enough, as long as the power is high quality. Skip the "cheapo" line of whatever manufacturer you choose and go for the better quality lines. The cheapest ones will have low quality chinese capacitors that will at best make a whiny noise when the system is under load, and at worst blow up and take your motherboard with them.

I'm saying this from experience, after owning several "cheapo" line 800W powers before swapping to a quality (Super Flower Golden Green) 550W power. Never looking back.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

I run my 7950 on a 630W. I wouldn't go below 550w just to be safe. PSUs are really something you don't want to risk messing up. 

windows 8 shouldn't give you any problems. I have almost the exact same build as you and I haven't run into any issues.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

First off - being 80+ Certified is nice, but in and of itself it doesn't mean much. I would be suspect of a power supply that had no rating what so ever (because getting a rating is waaaay too easy), but I wouldn't really endorse an 80+ Platinum over an 80+ Bronze, because it's really just a marketing ploy and doesn't mean a lot in real life (because it's waaaay to easy to get rated).

Rosewill is Newegg's house brand. It's not that Rosewill in and of itself is bad, it's that you already know it's a rebranded power supply, so the trick is finding out who actually made it. My research pointed to ATNG - and going a bit further, I didn't find any dangerous ATNG power supplies (at least not Diablotek bad).

ATNG does have 2 600W PSU units listed on ECOS as 80+ rated - one being Platinum, the other being Standard. I am pretty sure this isn't the Platinum model, but I can't verify if it is indeed a rebranded version of the Standard model (ATM-600FB+APFC) - there is a good chance it is.

So it's probably safe enough, especially if you are on a really tight budget, but when $15 or so more can get you something with some documented quality data, then personnally I would spend the money, but I'm in a position where $15 is worth that to me and your situation may be entirely different.

As far as sizing goes - 600W of good power is pretty much big enough to run any single CPU + any single GPU you want, including mild overclocks on each. It is a very sensible size to get (so long as it's a reliable PSU) - it's not too big that your just wasting power via inefficiency, yet it's big enough to pretty well handle nearly any single-GPU gaming rig you build with it.

With regard to Windows 8 - Windows 8 supports UEFI BIOS (as well as older BIOSes) - so you don't necessarily need a motherboard that has a Windows 8 sticker on it. UEFI has some additional security features (that you may not like), like being able to store your CD Key in the BIOS, or being able to halt a computer that isn't booting on an authorized digital signature (i.e. only Windows, no Linux), but it isn't required.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by tom_gore
    I'm saying this from experience, after owning several "cheapo" line 800W powers before swapping to a quality (Super Flower Golden Green) 550W power. Never looking back.

This is true - you don't need big, you need quality, then it just has to be big enough.

(there's a sexual innuendo in there somewhere if someone wants to run with it)

• odienmanodienman Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

First off - being 80+ Certified is nice, but in and of itself it doesn't mean much. I would be suspect of a power supply that had no rating what so ever (because getting a rating is waaaay too easy), but I wouldn't really endorse an 80+ Platinum over an 80+ Bronze, because it's really just a marketing ploy and doesn't mean a lot in real life (because it's waaaay to easy to get rated).

Rosewill is Newegg's house brand. It's not that Rosewill in and of itself is bad, it's that you already know it's a rebranded power supply, so the trick is finding out who actually made it. My research pointed to ATNG - and going a bit further, I didn't find any dangerous ATNG power supplies (at least not Diablotek bad).

ATNG does have 2 600W PSU units listed on ECOS as 80+ rated - one being Platinum, the other being Standard. I am pretty sure this isn't the Platinum model, but I can't verify if it is indeed a rebranded version of the Standard model (ATM-600FB+APFC) - there is a good chance it is.

So it's probably safe enough, especially if you are on a really tight budget, but when $15 or so more can get you something with some documented quality data, then personnally I would spend the money, but I'm in a position where $15 is worth that to me and your situation may be entirely different.

As far as sizing goes - 600W of good power is pretty much big enough to run any single CPU + any single GPU you want, including mild overclocks on each. It is a very sensible size to get (so long as it's a reliable PSU) - it's not too big that your just wasting power via inefficiency, yet it's big enough to pretty well handle nearly any single-GPU gaming rig you build with it.

With regard to Windows 8 - Windows 8 supports UEFI BIOS (as well as older BIOSes) - so you don't necessarily need a motherboard that has a Windows 8 sticker on it. UEFI has some additional security features (that you may not like), like being able to store your CD Key in the BIOS, or being able to halt a computer that isn't booting on an authorized digital signature (i.e. only Windows, no Linux), but it isn't required.

Thanks for all your help guys, I think i will stick with the chosen model, since when going through all of the 700 reviews, there were tons who basically had great experiences with no issues 3-5 years down the road, to me that is a good sign.  And thanks for doing this extra ATNG research, appreciate it, I say you may be right, since well based on the reviews the power supply has held up.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Don't buy the power supply.  At best, it's a relic of another era, and quite possibly a piece of junk.  There are too many red flags:  no 80 PLUS certification, a "600 W" power supply that can only deliver 575.5 W on all of the major rails added together, etc.  The New Egg reviews go back more than 7 years, and while it might have been a decent part for its era, so were an Athlon 64 X2, a Radeon X1900, and a lot of other things that you don't want to buy today.

I'd like to suggest that if you're loading up a system with cheap junk hardware to make room for a $200+ video card that might promptly get fried by the cheap junk hardware, you're doing it wrong.  I'd dismiss Diablotek anything out of hand on the basis that their power supplies are stunningly awful, and there's no sense in getting a laptop hard drive for a desktop.  What's your budget, anyway?

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would not buy that PSU.  Good chance that you will have issues with it and the system its in. Do not put too much faith in a newegg review. Most of the reviewers would not know a bad part from a good part.

• SitrukSitruk Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by odienman

Hello, I'm new to building my own system and had some questions I was hoping someone more experienced could help me with.  I'm putting together a budget gaming build and I'm looking into this PSU.

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I was wondering if this PSU will be enough to run cards such as the GTX760/7870 AMD or GTX 660/650 ti boost with no issues. I know it has enough 600W power but I'm not familiar with rail and voltage stuff.  Also if you can see any issues with the parts I've chosen that would be super as well.  Partsbuilder seems to think its safe.

Also should I be concerned with installing windows 8.1 since i saw at the store that some motherboards said win 8 ready and others didn't, but I upgraded windows before and never had issues with keeping same motherboards that were older than the current windows release.....curious.

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard/Combo (Free @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($49.99 @ New Egg)
    Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Diablotek EVO CPA-6170 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Microcenter)

Thanks for your help.

Are the AMD FX-8320 and MSI 970A-G46 prices you stated in store specials? I don't see the prices on the web-site or in the catalog. I'm making a trip to Microcenter on Sunday to pick up parts and would love to cash in on both of those.

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Pretty low end systems your building.