Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat Density?

GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I played PS2 for a little bit when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I tried again for a few hours last night and was basicaly bored out of my skull trying to find a good fight. It seemed like all the combats were like maybe 3 or 4 on a side or something like that. Did I just get unlucky with time and server or is that more representative of PS2 these days?

For me, PS2 was really fun when there was a high density of combat and dozens of players per side waging a protracted battle over an objective. Low density combat where there are just a few players fighting for an objective really changes the nature of the game as far as I'm concerned and makes it unenjoyable for me.

What are other players thoughts?

Comments

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

They put in a lattice/lane system in 2 of the 3 maps a few months ago (should be coming to the 3rd map soon).  

Basically all hexes are connected only to one or two others, with a few central hubs having more connections.  This means you can't backcap, but must take the adjacent hex in the lane before moving on.  As a result, huge battles are back.

There are some criticisms of the system, as it does make battle locations somewhat predictable.  But this was better than nowhere to find big battles at all.  Should be some tweaks coming up though that will solve the lingering isssues.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    If you want big fights

Join a platoon looking for big fights
    Or Use the instant action button on the map
    And / Or work on the current alert

Conversely if you want smaller fights don't work on the current alert.

Another thing, you often get dedicated air squads, well on my server anyway (cobalt)
  • AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

You were probably in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On average population goes Indar > Esamir > Amerish. Alerts can change that, but most of the time Indar has more action right now.

When you do Instant Action (I key) have the map open first. It will tell you where you're being dropped, which will probably be a pretty active battle but not always. If Instant Action doesn't do what you want press I again to cancel and grab a harasser or plane and drive or fly over. Even if you suicide crash when you get there, now you're respawning in battle and your air resources regenerate for free anyway.

Two things I encourage of new players that they're often reluctant to do (at least I was):
    1) when an alert pops up, go do it. They're for everyone, not just high-levels.
    2) join a squad. They're not all great, but some are and will help you maximize your effectiveness.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The population has died out quite a lot, it's a shame because when it launched it was mental, now it sucks and you can only play at specific times for any kind of battle...

SOEs fault for launching a year too early.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by tixylix

The population has died out quite a lot, it's a shame because when it launched it was mental, now it sucks and you can only play at specific times for any kind of battle...

What server are you on ? I play Euro times and US times between working odd hours on a US server and always find a large multiple platoon fight.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Woopin
    Originally posted by tixylix

What server are you on ? I play Euro times and US times between working odd hours on a US server and always find a large multiple platoon fight.

Yeh Im finding quite large fights on EU Ceres.