Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much does EA pay MMORPG.COM?

Has to be asked sadly. I have seen clear abuse of power by the mads here someone posts their honest opinion of TOR and they give a warning for trolling if it isn't something thats positive or someone else doesn't like it. Someone posts about the official games forums it got shut down saying not to talk about the official forums over here. Last I checked the game and official forums go hand in hand.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Actually it's been oft said the staff here at MMORPG.com that the business management side is completely separate from the editorial, content and forum side.  Totally different people who do not check back and forth with each other to see if it's "OK" to allow a game to be slammed or not.

Look, if you are getting moderated for what you post here then you are doing it wrong.  It is clearly a case of user error and nothing more sinister than than.

Sure, the mods make occasional mistakes, and I've had a number of them appealed successfully, but there is no dark conspiracy to prevent people from discussing or even slamming an EA title.

(how was that Jon?  just deposit the funds in the usual account)  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually it's been oft said the staff here at MMORPG.com that the business management side is completely separate from the editorial, content and forum side.  Totally different people who do not check back and forth with each other to see if it's "OK" to allow a game to be slammed or not.

You actually believe that?

Every thing said in this world is not true. Companies constantly flat out lie to make themselves seem better.

Years ago I called out this site for having article after article about how amazing Star Trek Online was going to be when it launched despite the fact that the forums here were full with all the people complaining how horrible it was while playing it in beta. When it launched it did poorly because it was such a terrible game. So how can those articles be explained? They clearly were not even close to true and honest. It is because if they just say good things companies will both advertise on their site and give them early access to future games and expansions.

I'm not saying the OP is going about this the right way or is even correct in his assumptions on why the moderations happened (I personally just think the moderation on this site is flat out terrible and it is as simple as that). But to really and truly believe that the different aspects of the site are truly different and that the business side would let the article writers slam a game they were getting or about to get a big ad contract with is naïve.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771
    Has to be asked sadly. I have seen clear abuse of power by the mads here someone posts their honest opinion of TOR and they give a warning for trolling if it isn't something thats positive or someone else doesn't like it. Someone posts about the official games forums it got shut down saying not to talk about the official forums over here. Last I checked the game and official forums go hand in hand.

I thought about complaining about the moderation - even had half the email done. But, it hit me - no point. They aren't going to lessen their moderation, so why bother?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by Kyleran

You actually believe that?

Every thing said in this world is not true. Companies constantly flat out lie to make themselves seem better.

Years ago I called out this site for having article after article about how amazing Star Trek Online was going to be when it launched despite the fact that the forums here were full with all the people complaining how horrible it was while playing it in beta. When it launched it did poorly because it was such a terrible game. So how can those articles be explained? They clearly were not even close to true and honest. It is because if they just say good things companies will both advertise on their site and give them early access to future games and expansions.

I'm not saying the OP is going about this the right way or is even correct in his assumptions on why the moderations happened (I personally just think the moderation on this site is flat out terrible and it is as simple as that). But to really and truly believe that the different aspects of the site are truly different and that the business side would let the article writers slam a game they were getting or about to get a big ad contract with is naïve.

Yes, I actually do. Jon himself has posted it on multiple occasions and I'm from a period in time when you do not call a man a liar unless you are willing to have a duel at 20 paces with him (or at the very least expect him to take serious and direct issue with your accusation.)

I take people at their word until proven wrong, and I challenge you to prove the assertion that what he said isn't true.  Just because people believe it to be impossible, or can point to some other situation where they were betrayed, doesn't mean we have to doubt everyone's word.

Even your perceptions of STO are skewed, some people really love it.  I am probably one of the biggest Cryptic haters on this site, but doesn't mean I think Cryptic paid MMORPG.com off to overly praise it.

Yeah, they might write articles more favorable than I would, but doesn't mean I see a conspiracy behind it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I post about how I played my free month, and I got my money worth, and then it wasn't worth me playing after that, no matter if it was free or not when it came out...  That is not a ringing endorsement.  Never had anyone give me a warning on it.  It is often the way you word things or as simple as saying the words of someone verse them themselves is ______ .

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771

You aren't the only one. Some people like to keep giant gaming companies happy so they'll see the $$$. A lot of people get warnings from the certain mod, only happened the once for me and it was for commenting on swtor earlier this year. If it happens to often and it's no fault of your own then be reasonable and send a email up top or just delete the account and use another MMO site, or don't bother. Less people they get using the website the less income.

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149

Who cares. You got moderated. You did something wrong. Regardless if you believe it was justifiable or not. 

Truth is swtor doesn't pretend to be something it's not.. You explained your point in a trolling manner. That is if your post even had a point. If it was a 'made up' point, then yes, it'll get deleted/locked.

Welcome to forums :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Yeah it has to be EA paying them. It's not because they're just sick of seeing the same crap every day posted about it.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Do you feel the need to post your negative opinion in every thread even if your opinion has nothing to do with the thread....you might be a troll.

Do you feel the need to bash anyone with your negative opinion if someone says they like the game...you might be a troll.

Do you start threads about people being paid shills....you might be a troll.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ive always said on this forums how horribly disgustingly greedy the mismanagement of Swtor's model is that renders everyone miserable regardless of payment choice and ive never gotten a warning about it because it is the truth. And most people know that supporting those practices only have negative effects of both the industry (them) and the consumer (us) in the long run.

If you got a warning for trolling...... you were probably trolling.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Kyleran is correct, our editorial decisions and community are separate and both of those are kept separate from the advertising side of the business. This is not the appropriate place to handle any feedback or dispute you have with moderation. You can contact MikeB about that. [email protected]

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.